• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 Gr1m

Gr1m
  • Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:02 AM

Well Arnor needs something in there Inn besides hobbits :good:

Realistically, as Arnor already has an allies system in their techtree without the inn, there's a bit of an issue as to what to do to replace it.

Maybe we could have Gondor as an inn ally, but instead of having other factions which realistically probably won't fit too well with Arnor's seperate timeline structure, you can instead choose to 'strengthen the ties', so to speak, with either the Elves, Dunedain Rangers, or the Istari, and each would have their own specific benefits - unlocking extra researches at the inn, maybe, or giving a global buff to units that fall under that type. Maybe even unlocking an additional elite unit for that faction - Noldor Warrior style Elves that are weaker an in a larger and combinable horde, maybe for the Elves, a King's Guard type unit for the Dunedain, and maybe a captain style unit with battle-altering buff auras for the Istari?

Keep in mind I really haven't thought this through. I just get ideas and post them.

Edited by Gr1m, 08 May 2009 - 03:02 AM.

#42 Guest_KP_*

Guest_KP_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2009 - 02:29 PM

Who wants an allance of only heroes? I have a second re-do.

GOOD

GONDOR:
- Southern Fiefdom: Andrast, Lamedon, Lebbenin, Anfalas, Belfalas, Pelargir
- Rohan : Some good combinations of thralls and horsemen
- Dol Amroth: I figured you would want to make Dol Amroth's troops common instead of legendary

ROHAN:
- Gondor: RJ Gondor faction (heores and units and upgrades only)
- Eastfold: Mix-bloods of Numenorean and Northman
- Lorien: The Lorien sub-faction of RJ Elves with Haldir, Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli as heroes

DWARVES:
- Thranduil's Army: Mirkwood piece of the RJ Elven faction, with Thranduil and Legolas
- Men of North-Mirkwood: semi-Men of Dale-like woodsmen who can stealth in masses of trees lead by three heores including Radagast
- Dale: Esgaroth Heores, Celduin Heores, additional Dale heores; infantry, archers, pikemen, cavalry, supporters, and siege from Dale

ElVES:
- Fords of Bruinen: Half-Elf bodyguards who protect Rivendell
- Men of North-Mirkwood: semi-Men of Dale-like woodsmen who can stealth in masses of trees lead by three heroes including Radagast
- Lindon (Arnor's Elvish stuff)

ARNOR:
-Rohan: Eorl's Rohan
-Gondor: Tarostar's Gondor

EVIL

ISENGARD:
- Isengard Orcs : cheap spamming from Isengard
- Dunland : costless alliance with Dunlending Axemen, axethrowers, spearmen, archers, pikemen, horsemen, and berserkers. additional dunland heores included.
- Ruffians: Like Dunland only with bandits instead of barbarians

MORDOR:
- Rhun: Easterling Warriors, Archers, Spearmen, Horsemen, and Wainriders. Heroes=Khamul and Lorgan
- Harad: Haradrim Spearthrowers, Archers, Blackguards, Horsemen, and Mumakils. Heores=Indur and Razduk (the Haradrim Captain)
- Dol Guldur: basic-level Black Uruks to go with your basic-level Mordor Uruk-hai (twice the CPs, half the horde size)

MISTY MOUNTAINS GOBLIN:
-Forodwaith: Black Numenoreans (I know, this sounds kind of off-era)
-Gundabad Orcs: Strong Goblins and stronger Orcs from the northern "different" mound
-Withered Heath: Dragon units, including Fire Drakes and Cold Drakes

MEN OF THE EAST:
- Khand: Variag Tribal axemen, archers, tower-guards; Mercenary 'CoU' raiders, axethrowers, sentries; and rohirrim-like cavalry range
- Umbar: Corsair swordsmen, archers, crossbowmen, 'CoU' raiders, rhudaur-like spearmen, knifethrowers, and reavers (corsair blugeoners)
- Far Harad: Mahud warriors, blowpipers, spearmen, camel riders, spear throwers. Half-Trolls, Mumakils, and young Oliphaunts included*.
- Mordor: Same amount of Mordor for MotE as Gondor for Rohan.
*Haradrim Captain Razduk takes Mahud Chieftain Zhislod's place. Zhislod will be with additional Mahud and Half-Troll Heroes, to.

ANGMAR:
- Rhudaur: Hillmen of the eastern piece of Arnor
- Gundabad: Strong Orcs with both dire wolves and white wargs

That is what should be the Inn system. We should inform Rob about this tech-tree.

#43 Excuse_me_princess

Excuse_me_princess
  • Members
  • 146 posts
  • Projects:Black knightism
  •  Fanboy, maker of suggestions

Posted 16 May 2009 - 02:50 PM

- Lorien: The Lorien sub-faction of RJ Elves with Haldir, Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli as heroes

Love that!
But you have to put an inn in the Helms deep map with the next release (within the fort).
Posted Image

"Is that all there is? ... no challenge? ... no resistance?"

"Fear...fear is the mind killer!"

"Don't see it as an obstacle, see it as an chalange!"

#44 Berethin

Berethin
  • Members
  • 71 posts
  •  Amateur Writer, Veteran Gamer

Posted 24 May 2009 - 12:18 AM

However, all four of those heroes can already be used as summons for Rohan, and they can already train elven warriors.

#45 Excuse_me_princess

Excuse_me_princess
  • Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 08:29 AM

However, all four of those heroes can already be used as summons for Rohan, and they can already train elven warriors.

I think that will be changed.

Okay, now I'm just going to shout something here, possibly it's impossible (hehe) but, better said than sorry.
Why not make it possible to choose a sub faction at the beginning of a game, like in Emperor battle for Dune and... uhmmm... yeah like in Emperor battle for Dune.
If you're gonna axe cah (I know, I know, not certain, but remember I'm just shouting something here) you can use the cah slot in the menu (next to the color and handicaps tab) to choose a subfaction.
You give every faction a building to create their units and their hero(es) will be added to the normal hero stack.

Now if it is impossible to add a building to the builders command bar via the cah slot and add several heroes this way (instead of one) you can make just one subfaction hero buildable in the fortress, this hero then has the abillity to build it's own subfaction building.
(remember I have little experience modding so the above might be crap, but perhaps it's helpfull.)

As I said before, I think that too much work is going into the subfactions (just look at the Southeren fiefdoms!?) to just make them available in certain maps where there is an inn (not nearly half of them has one)

Oh, and to the people who think this "will change the game experience too much" or "create unfair advantages" like cah, I've got a little hint for ya:
Like cah, you can choose not to use it!
If you don't like it, don't whine, just don't use it kay!?

Edited by Excuse_me_princess, 24 May 2009 - 08:29 AM.

Posted Image

#46 Vithar-133

Vithar-133

Violent Gandhi

• Project Team
  • 1,975 posts
  • Projects:Existing
  •  It's not your skill, boys. It's your will. Ooh-rah!

Posted 25 May 2009 - 01:08 PM

The only thing here, it is possible for you to choose a subfaction at the beginning of a game. Just look at elves and Men of the East (MotE).

Sounds quite complicated, though. Probably not something Rob will do immediately, or at all.

Personally, we could make a new building for the so-called inn-factions. Something like a merc's camp or an alliance ground or something, that allows you the same thing an inn, but (on RJ maps) does not project a building area around it.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#47 Neth

Neth

God's Shadow

• Project Team
  • 930 posts
  • Projects:Taking over the world
  •  Technician of Execution

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:20 PM

How about -
every faction has a mercenary building which can be built by builders and works like an inn. Costs 1000 - 1500 to build and brings in "Support Factions" Rather than Inn Factions (same thing though).
Inns should supply economy(sp) upgrades I think anyways.

Do you like it?

Edited by Nethelen Narcu, 26 May 2009 - 07:20 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

This face means nothing, these hands hold nothing, these lungs are empty, these eyes are blind

#48 Vithar-133

Vithar-133

Violent Gandhi

• Project Team
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:33 PM

I think that has been considered and rejected due to seeming too much like subfactions.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#49 Excuse_me_princess

Excuse_me_princess
  • Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 02:51 PM

The only thing here, it is possible for you to choose a subfaction at the beginning of a game. Just look at elves and Men of the East (MotE).

Sounds quite complicated, though. Probably not something Rob will do immediately, or at all.

Personally, we could make a new building for the so-called inn-factions. Something like a merc's camp or an alliance ground or something, that allows you the same thing an inn, but (on RJ maps) does not project a building area around it.

Yeah, okay...
All I'm trying to say is, we should really consider making it able for all factions to get support from subfactions.
Because a lot of work goes (and went) into the inn factions just to make them appear from a building who isn't on nearly all maps and if present it's so hard to defend and keep for you to get all the upgrades to be of any real value.
Posted Image

#50 Dalf32

Dalf32

The Ever-Willing

• Project Team
  • 1,923 posts
  • Projects:Beta Testing RJ-RotWK

Posted 30 May 2009 - 08:51 PM

first off, inn factions are not subfactions, nor will they become subfactions.
secondly, rob has expressed distaste in the idea of giving all factions subfactions so thats probably not gonna happen.
thirdly, the inn factions are really nothing more than a way to include campaign-only units, models, skins and whatnot into skirmish/multiplayer.

"A wizard is never late, nor is he early; he arrives precisely when he means to."

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#51 Guest_KP_*

Guest_KP_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2009 - 03:45 AM

first off, inn factions are not subfactions, nor will they become subfactions.
secondly, rob has expressed distaste in the idea of giving all factions subfactions so thats probably not gonna happen.
thirdly, the inn factions are really nothing more than a way to include campaign-only units, models, skins and whatnot into skirmish/multiplayer.

Fourthly, the factions have to be realistic to the lore, which is why you don't see any Isengard alliances for MotE, for example. However, I do remember seeing an article in Weapons and Warfare and in Thain's Book, that the Easterlings and the Dunlendings attacked Rohan at opposite ends in the same battle. I'm not sure if they knew of each other's presence... Did they?

KP

#52 Vithar-133

Vithar-133

Violent Gandhi

• Project Team
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 04:46 AM

The Forces of Evil can ally with any other Force of Evil via the inn. Same goes for the Factions of Good, with the inclusion of SF.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#53 Wanderer∞

Wanderer∞

title available

• Members
  • 273 posts
  •  Movie Critic

Posted 27 June 2009 - 04:18 PM

And I would assume they knew of eachother's presence. Seems highly unlikely that two massive armies coming from the east would attack at the same time without knowing about one another.
Posted Image
How 'bout a magic trick?

"Never give up. Never surrender."
-Captain Jason Nesmith

#54 Excuse_me_princess

Excuse_me_princess
  • Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 06:12 PM

What about traitors?

Men of Gonder who left to join Sauron.
Elves whove joined Isengard to live instead of die...
Stuff like that.
Posted Image

#55 Uruk King

Uruk King

Lore-abiding citizen

• Project Team
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:24 PM

No, no and no. The only traitors known are Grima Wormtongue and perhaps a few others from Rohan who lived close to the Dunlendings. But the men seen in the Shire with Saruman were men from Dunland, his own manservants from Orthanc, and even some men with orcish blood.

The distance to travel for the Gondorians to Isengard is many leagues on foot, their loyalty to their realm is as strong as the walls of their chief city, and hardly worth the journey. Elves would not have joined the forces of evil willingly due to their love of nature and hatred for all things dark and evil
I will remember Rhovanion Alliance, RIP .

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users