Ex-troll

• Members
  • 1,330 posts
  • Projects:Lurking
  •  I'm a physician now. Scary, right?

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:00 AM

-Global Warming / Pollution

-The super quakes

Not likely to happen in at leat 100,000 years. Plates take time to travel, y'know.

You'd be surprised about what lays off the coast of Oregon, then. It has the potential to wipe out the east coast of Japan and the entire U.S. west coast up to mid-Canada and mid-Mexico. The fault usually lets off an earthquake every 300-350 years. We've 50 years overdue. The quakes are usually about a magnitude 7.0-9.0.
I'm creeping, not gone.

#22 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:14 AM

Really, none of those apocalyptic events listed are really apocalyptic. Disastrous no doubt, but not apocalyptic. It would have to be an extinction level even for me to count it as apocalyptic, something to wipe out the human race. Any less is really just a severe disaster(although technically it doesn't have to wipe out the human race to be apocalyptic, it would have to be pretty large scale close-to-being-wiped-out level)

If the sun blows up, we can just move to mars.

Do you realise how stupid that is? what you just said ;)
I mean, its not like all the planets in our solar system rely on the sun, meaning if the sun were to blow up all planets in our solar system are screwed, not just earth :p
so of coarse we can go to mars, even if the sun blowing up wasn't an issue, what with it sustaining earth-like life as it does... :p

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image

#23 partyzanPaulZy

partyzanPaulZy

"quarawr!"

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Projects:Corruption Of Power - YR mod
  •  doing my mod alone till 1st release (then will see)

Posted 06 May 2009 - 03:36 PM

Well, NANITE DISASTER can be even NANITE APOCALYPSE, because there can be situation when screwed well-programmed Nanites will create collective IQ > 100 000 000. ...and then only nanites would decide about our fate. It's like with fire: Good servant, bad master.

To athmosphere: the level of oxygen has dropped down since times of the Industrial Revolution to some 20% from some 28%. Also athmosphere contains more CO2, CH4, freons, etc.

When people start to colonize Mars, they will have to solve problem with missing magnetism (giving it artificial magnetism), with tenuous athmosphere (giving it artificial athmosphere which could slowly fly away without thickening), UV radiation, etc.

But think about some planet where the most advanced life are cyanophytes: you have free world to colonize (unless there is too big gravitation or some toxical gas like sulfur dioxide or nitrogen oxides in the air).

Edited by partyzanPaulZy, 06 May 2009 - 03:50 PM.

Posted Image
"Soviet Union was a superpower and each superpower needs at least 1 war at 5 years to keep army in a good condition." ... my grandpa. USA create wars more frequently.

#24 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:48 PM

Do you realise how stupid that is? what you just said :p

Well... yes.

Hmm... the difference between a whole new world's atmosphere is that People won't adapt to it like the atmosphere changes here. They might eventually, but it'll hit the body hard if it was slightly off. But the chances of the elemental table on planet Zebes or something being exactly the same as ours is really low. One new gas floating around would most likely be fatal to a living thing who hasn't adapted to it. Still... we can't say for sure unless we knew every element in the universe.

#25 Spectre

Spectre

Rampant AI

• Hosted
  • 1,240 posts
  • Projects:Worldbuilding
  •  The Undead

Posted 09 May 2009 - 05:02 PM

Do you realise how stupid that is? what you just said :mellow:

Well... yes.

Hmm... the difference between a whole new world's atmosphere is that People won't adapt to it like the atmosphere changes here. They might eventually, but it'll hit the body hard if it was slightly off. But the chances of the elemental table on planet Zebes or something being exactly the same as ours is really low. One new gas floating around would most likely be fatal to a living thing who hasn't adapted to it. Still... we can't say for sure unless we knew every element in the universe.

I don't think you get it, Pasidon.

If the sun 'blows up', you won't have an Earth or Mars point blank. All inner and some outer planets will be evaporated, Pluto would probably wither away to. Even if any of the planets survive, they'll just spin off into space because of the lack of a gravitational pull that the sun provided to keep it in line. It'll eventually get gobbled up or slammed into something.

I've also seen this short film in my Science class about how slowly, the moon is moving away from Earth, effects? No idea, but I don't think when it leaves everything is just going to be fine and dandy.

EDIT: Oh, and how about a Black Hole coming over to visit our Solar System? The chances sound nil-to-none, but to me, that'd be the coolest way to die, right behind Nuclear Evaporation.

Edited by Durandel, 09 May 2009 - 05:05 PM.

#26 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 10 May 2009 - 05:05 AM

Mankind has been predicting it's own demise since it's inception. Knock it off. Really.

There is no God, no invisible man in the sky, no end of the world, no 4 horsemen. Simply people who have to be afraid of something, anything to justify thier own existence.

Nonsense! Humans are not that clever, simply allow yourself to go extinct peacefully like the rest of the world. :unsure:

#27 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:38 AM

If the sun 'blows up', you won't have an Earth or Mars point blank.

Think you and WG took me a little to seriously on that one...

There is no God

Shh! You'll wake the theorists.
When it boiled down to the Great Awakening, the main point was a 'God may not exist, but without religion there are no morals, so therefore god will exist' type of deal. But another apocalyptic situation is where people loose their morals and go nuts. Why if there isn't a heaven, no ultimate consequences will prevent me from throwing a brick through the window at the pillow shop.

#28 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 10 May 2009 - 11:48 AM

If the sun 'blows up', you won't have an Earth or Mars point blank.

Think you and WG took me a little to seriously on that one...

I was going to say, the humour was lost on them :p

#29 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:49 AM

Well it wasn't really a very funny joke so i wasn't sure, and im sorry if this offends you Pas but i dont know you well enough to cut out the possibility that you just weren't too bright :xd:

Posted Image

#30 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:54 PM

Neh... I usualy give my punchline in a one-lined paragraph and my actual propaganda in a bulky statement. But there's nothing funny about global warming. :xd:

#31 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 15 May 2009 - 01:38 AM

There is no proof of mankind's effect on global warming. Like the economy, there are natural cycles that happen whether you try to affect it or not. Man is not that clever. If the temperature is going up, don't be so quick to give mankind credit.

#32 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 03:45 AM

why? we cause most of the other problems, why shouldn't we also get credit for this?

Posted Image

#33 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 15 May 2009 - 05:26 AM

No we shouldn't. Global warming is not directly linked to the efforts of mankind upon the environment. It was happening anyway and has been since the world was born, off and on around the ice ages. Human waste accounts for less than 1% of greenhouse gas emissions. It's all in the Great Global Warming Swindle topic in the HoP. This is not the place to discuss whether or not global warming is real; it is, but it is not a human error.

SWG, yes, we have caused a great many problems, some of which are entirely our fault like deforestation and overpopulation, but global warming is not among them. We didn't cause that, it's just happening. It seems that some powerful people out there simply struggle to believe anything could have happened without their direct influence.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#34 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 15 May 2009 - 03:02 PM

Pollution is over-rated. Yea... I don't buy the whole "Your soda cans are heating up the earth" story, but where did that hole in the ozone come from? How is our exess carbon waist not adding to the greenhouse effect? What about Scarecrow's brain?

#35 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  Greedy capitalist and cynical bastard.

Posted 15 May 2009 - 04:02 PM

There isn't a real explanation for the hole in the ozone, but it's not per definition us. There have been holes in the ozone before in the past.

And we are probably adding to the greenhouse effect, but not much. Not much at all. Compared to the natural carbon, ours is probably not even 1%.
It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#36 Ferveo

Ferveo
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 04:32 PM

It is perhaps worth it to remember even a 1% change in greenhouse gases in the atmosphere would be fairly disastrous. Remember, of greenhouse gases produced by humans, carbon dioxide makes up only ~25%...

#37 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 15 May 2009 - 04:34 PM

So your saying that through centuries of urbanisation, 2000 of years covering the land in a sheet of concrete, burning down trees in order to expand, using more and more trees through massive increases in population and then the industrial revolution, through all that, we haven't effected anything?

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#38 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Job:Artist

Posted 15 May 2009 - 10:46 PM

Forest fires and volcanoes and all that jazz, the earth is good at surviving :p

Nature would survive somehow if we went away. After a few million years it would be back up and running again like nothing happened, with a new layer of oil hidden beneath the soil. ashes to ashes, oil to oil.

All in all, the nr1 one reason people started caring about the environment right now is not because they feel we should give something back to nature. its because our pollutions are starting to have an effect on our daily lives, with new diseases and cancer and whatnot becoming more and more common. We're selfish bastard creatures, saying that we are becoming environment-friendly is just another way to say "We don't want dirt in our lungs that makes us die before we turn 40".

the only noble thing i see about the enviroment haze we are getting into is that western nations are getting tired of paying dictatorships for energy. so while finding a new fuel that won't turn our lungs into rocks, we try to wipe out the governments around the world we disagree with through more modern and decentralized energy sources.

Bit off topic i guess, but i felt like doing a misanthropic rant right now.

Edited by duke_Qa, 15 May 2009 - 10:46 PM.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#39 segwayrulz

segwayrulz

title available

• Members
  • 788 posts
  • Projects:....

Posted 17 May 2009 - 03:01 AM

well I say, "who gives a crap about earth" chances are its the next generation that will be screwed from mine and past generations mistakes. sucks to be them I say. seriously your going to die and chances are there is no afterlife, so just make the most of it and not give a crap about anything.

#40 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:53 AM

Stupid thing is, its Human nature to give a crap about something. I'd love to not give a crap, not be self-aware and to live 200+ years ago but I'm stuck in this shithole and I care about it.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users