Showcase for new models - NEW Lone Wolf

• Please log in to reply
197 replies to this topic

#1 Mephistoned

Mephistoned
  • Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 01:46 AM

1. WOLVES - Well I didn't expect to have anything to show so soon... but thanks a quick internet search and the charming gentleman dddrew who has created some excellent 3D wolves, I DO! My 3D modelling skills are advancing fast, though I am still at the level of mild conversions and sculpting what already exists. Absolute respect to those who create new models out of thin air - how do you do it? Anyway, this has been an excellent exercise, and may I present our wolves (complete with collar and tag...ahhhh!) and the somewhat more ferocious Wolves of Fenris. I wanted to add some bionics to the Wolves of Fenris, since I couldn't see these ferocious beasts serving the Space Wolves with anything less than mind-controlling implants installed. In the mod these units are powerful against infantry, and have a longer detect range than normal Space Wolves. They can also form a retinue for characters, and can be built from LPs, making them a useful defence.

Take a look!

2. ULRIK - model now complete and very detailed indeed. With all their jewels, runes (DoH! I forgot runes for the runic armour research... back to max), wolf tails, wolf skulls, wolf symbols, wolf tooth necklaces and wolf pelts, the space wolves are really going to be detailed models. The good news is that now I've done Ulrik, I expect the other characters (and indeed troop models!) to be somewhat swifter, as now most of the components can be reused on the others. Hehe. Now to learn to rig and animate!

3. Wolf Scout - with all upgrades - one seriously tooled up son of a gun. Those are traps on his shoulder pads. Hate to think what the polygon count is on this, but since he's a single model rather than 4 scouts, it should be ok.

4. Grey Hunter - lots of randomised parts here, so no two models will be the same. The only upgrade is the powersword - I want to limit the GH at range by no including special weapons (with the exception of the pack leader). They are of course, still useful at range, and as good as assault marines in melee - so you have here a real all-rounder. Nontheless, they will need support from other units to deal with certain foes (as it should be).

5. Long Fang with all upgrades - I'm pleased with the idea of using the wolf tooth necklace on the face - thereby giving them the look of real long fangs!

6. Space Wolves Rhino - as with many of these models, am standing on the shoulders of giants - big thanks to C2C and Medes!

7. Blood Claws Alpha - custom helmet, added the assualt pack straps to the chest (as they should be!)

8. Blood Claw - it looks like the simplest model, but it took the most time, combining scout armour with normal space marine armour to give the BC a lighter look - the idea being they dispense with some armour in favour of speed. Custom head resculpted from the IG general model, and hair was a pain - of course. The Talismans on both BC models are ear
rings.

9. Wulfen - the transformed Wolf Scout - the late-game relic unit (well, one of them...). This was not easy, but I'm pleased with the results. Now updated to a more Wolf-man look.

10. Bjorn the Fell-Handed - a heavily converted C2C dreadnought. Have changed his armament to twin heavy bolters, upgradeable to autocannons - to differentiate him from other SW dreadnoughts.

11. Ragnar Blackmane - this model presented an interesting challenge - the original TT model was great, but would have been a nightmare to animate, with chains linking shoulder pads, wolf pelt hanging off a pad etc - if he had raised his arm to strike - well it would not have been pretty. Not a model designed to be animated. Fortunately I found an excellent conversion of Ragnar to base my work on. This is a seriously pared down design - but I prefer that since I want him to have a very acrobatic fighting style - and I just can't see that with two back banners etc. He's not that far from a Blood Claw as well, which seems suitable. We'll leave the heavy duty adornment to Grimnar I think...

12. Thrall - the SW builder unit - a very simple conversion from the SoB Servitor.

13. Thunderhawk Gunship - with missiles, bombs, lascannon and more detailed - this will form the HQ along with the landing pad beneath it, as well as engage in TH assaults under Ragnar (Grimnar preferring drop pods).

14. SW LPs - updated now to follow a more natural progression and keep within the same footprint. Been redone about four times if you've followed this, but each time was an evolution, and they are now where I want them finally. Weaponless, but can build wolves, Wolves of Fenris, and Scouts to defend themselves.

15. Stormtower - a real challenge this one - how to make a lightning conductor and tower into the rough shape of a wolf. The tower will screw itself into the ground, much like the barracks. A throwback to the Thundercats lair I feel. :grin:

16. Landing Pad - 3rd Tier with all additions - look forward to lost of moving parts here - two lifts, a ramp that lowers to reveal the vehicle entrance, a refuelling servitor that appears and extends a refuelling hose etc.

17. Longhouse - surprisingly easy since it was hacked together from other models (both mine and vanilla). I think it gets the Viking feel into the Space Wolf base mix! Drop pod deploys through the centre 'fire hole' with the same lift as a vanilla HQ. The repeated use of diamond shaped windows is aiding the cohesion between the buildings.

18. Iron Priest - with and without servo harness. Big thanks to the amazing modellers over at FoK for their wonderful model. It was a joy to adapt. I've bulked up the servo harness considerably, adding two extra arms (think Dr.Octopus with a touch of iron man in there somewhere). This must be the most intricate model I've ever seen. Polygon count? I hate to think.

19. WG Terminators - this one being the most special - with Power Axe and Stormshield - again aiming for the Viking Aesthetic - big thanks to FoK again for their improved terminators and wider weapon fits.

20. Njal Stormcaller - Runes were a bloody pain, and still not sure if 3D runes is a better way to go than the texture. Anyway - should allow them to glow luminously. Nightwing is a separate model - done but not renderable though I guess I could take a sceenshot sometime.

21. Rune Priest in Terminator Armour - this was an excellent TT model and I've stayed pretty true to it, with the addition of the Psycannon. An addition that worked well is the Librarian book of the vanilla model shoulder pad, attached to the top of the cannon behind a blast shield. Handy for reading the instruction manual while blasting away in the thick of combat!

22. Updated LPs - though the original Outpost bunker style was nice, it didn't really fit with other models. So I took the Cache which was at least interesting and created a new Lodge and Outpost from there, which should solve a number of problems. There's something of the silo about the new model, and I've given it a HK style weapon system to fit.

23. Logan Grimnar - the Last model for this mod to be modelled. Hoping the double handed axe doesn't cause too many problems in animation - Terminator rigs don't look terribly flexible! We'll see.

24. Land Speeder Skuld - an idea I was playing with after seeing the Land Speeder Storm - I was quite tempted to make something that evokes viking longboats and the Fenrisian way of life. I finally worked out what it should look like. This will be a tier 1 transport for Ragnar's branch, unarmed, and only capable of transporting Blood Claws. You can think of it as a lighter version of the Dark Eldar raider, and it will give Ragnar's branch some more options early game.

25. Ragnar and Grimnar's Banners - speak for themselves really. I decided to up the viking celtic elemet of the designs here, and to go for large monocoloured symbols, rather than colouring in the wolf. Large flat areas of colour seem to fit flags better and avoid the feeling it's been hand drawn (which many games workshop banners of course are). To add detail I added texture and the various celtic border designs. I will be adding star emblems to Grimnar's banner next. I originally planned to add more knight heraldry to the designs but it didn't fit somehow, and this seems pleasantly different from other SM banners.

26. Arjac Rockfist - no GW model available yet, but there was a picture in the new Codex, and I was sufficiently inspired. I used the Grimnar model as a base. The Anvil shield is based on my Iron Priest Anvil logo - a two headed wolf in simple lines. Those quarter circles on the pads, if you are wondering, will hopefully become bear fur once textured, an effect learned from the Inquisitor's cloak in IDH.

27. Lukas - forgive the texture - left over from the Blood Claw model on which I based Lukas. Again, I've got some surfaces there to have fun with fur effects. The circle in the chest is the stasis bomb heart transplant. The odd horned skull belongs to the Doppegangrel, and I'm still working out how to do chameleonic fur - probably some FX, as an animated texture is problematic in this case (although...). Have now got the wolf claw in a better state - didn't really like GW's as they looked too much like lightning claws, but I've decided to make it so that it's similar but REALLY uses Thunderwolf claws (with a power field) which are shorter than lightning claw blades - giving the weapon a more distinctive look. The face has something of the Joker about it, and I am planning to add a square head cage (Lukas' latest punishment). Anyone seen the Jackal in Thirteen Ghosts? Lukas will share the BC light armour - my divergence from GW's power armoured BC.

28. Lone Wolf - GH, BC and LF will all have a Lone Wolf variant, the last surviving member of their pack. The GH variant has helmet off, and a combat shield upon the bolter, as well as a trophy pole with items taken from fallen comrades.

Attached Thumbnails

• stormtower_side.jpg
  • Traps.max.jpg
  • Space_Wolf_Rhino__C2C_and_Medes_.jpg
  • scout1.jpg
  • Long_Fang.jpg
  • randomised_parts_grey_hunter.jpg
  • Longhouse.jpg
  • fully_modelled_Ulrik_back.jpg
  • SW_WGTerminators.jpg
  • njal.jpg
  • iron_priest.jpg
  • iron_priest_servo_harness.jpg
  • Landing_pad.jpg
  • SW_Thunderhawk.jpg
  • Ulrik_the_Slayer_finished_model_front.jpg
  • updated_Cache.jpg
  • Lukas_the_JAckal.max.jpg
  • Blood_Claw_Alpha.jpg
  • wulfen.jpg
  • relic00001g.jpg
  • Bjorn_the_Fell_Handed.jpg
  • wolf_guard.jpg
  • wolf_guard_face.jpg
  • Ragnar_3D.jpg
  • ragnar_front.jpg
  • thrall.jpg
  • runepriest.jpg
  • Rune_Priest.jpg
  • banner_render2.jpg
  • BC_full_texture.jpg
  • banner_render_1.jpg
  • grimnar.jpg
  • rendered.jpg
  • wolfman.jpg
  • land_speeder_skuld.jpg
  • arjac.jpg
  • scout2.jpg
  • scout3.jpg
  • cache.jpg
  • Lodge.jpg
  • outpost.jpg
  • lodge_interior.jpg
  • GH_LW.jpg

Edited by Mephistoned, 24 March 2010 - 11:16 PM.

#2 Silent Assassin2

Silent Assassin2
  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 04:00 AM

Nice :grin:

#3 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI Scripting Project
  • Division:DoW
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 04 May 2009 - 03:42 PM

Fantastic.. doing well with Max2008! Bravo.. pipeline to the game is open.
Advanced Skirmish AI Team Lead for the coolest Warhammer40k PC RTS out there:

Dawn of War Advanced AI Headquarters

Latest DoW Advanced AI Download!

#4 Chaplain261

Chaplain261
  • Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 05:20 PM

Sweet, great work man.

#5 Blasphear

Blasphear
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 01:47 AM

Loving the smoothness! Cant wait to rip my fangs into this!
help me create my daemon!
pet it each day and watch him grow!
http://www.heresy-on...-thrashmier.htm

#6 Long Fang

Long Fang
  • Members
  • 69 posts
  • Projects:Wolf Lords, intrested in others
  •  suggestionist >:D

Posted 05 May 2009 - 11:15 AM

great were 1 step closer to the completion of this mod :thumbsupdrool:

however ive never heard of any of the serving wolves of fenris with any implants. i do believe that if there were implants it would be inside the wolves making them more ferorcious and faster. On comparison i would recommend you guys look at this piece of art created for the upcoming black library novel, Prospero burns (which will be the only Horus Heresy book i will buy XD) http://www.blacklibrary.com/product.asp?prod=60100181103&type=Book (inlarge image by clicking) these wolves remind me more of bears but they are the longest serving wolves which i have forgotten the names of. Morkai was 1 wasnt it?
War Within, War Without, War Unending. For Russ and the Alfather! For the Wolftime!

#7 Mephistoned

Mephistoned
  • Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:32 PM

great were 1 step closer to the completion of this mod :thumbsupdrool:

however ive never heard of any of the serving wolves of fenris with any implants. i do believe that if there were implants it would be inside the wolves making them more ferorcious and faster. On comparison i would recommend you guys look at this piece of art created for the upcoming black library novel, Prospero burns (which will be the only Horus Heresy book i will buy XD) http://www.blacklibrary.com/product.asp?prod=60100181103&type=Book (inlarge image by clicking) these wolves remind me more of bears but they are the longest serving wolves which i have forgotten the names of. Morkai was 1 wasnt it?

Morkai is Grimnar's axe, but yes, also the wolf guarding the underworld, if memory serves. A kind of Space Wolf cerberus. Thanks for the reference Long Fang, though those wolves are a little fantasy for me - they look like something out of...Labyrinth - the David Bowie flick. Bit Frank Oz. However, I do like the noses - and I also hope to give our Fenrisian Wolf something of the lion about it. The look also has to fit its function - I could make it bear-like but then it would be a Krootox in combat, and SW already have Dreadnoughts.

The implants actually were from the GW illustration of Grimnar from one of the codexes which shows (again from memory) a wolf or two with similar implants. The implant is not a combat-stim, it's purely there as a control, as by all descriptions I'm not even sure that SW (short of being Leman Russ himself) can easily control Fenrisian wolves. Are Fenrisian wolves in the codexes - does anyone know? I remember wolves, but whether they were Fenrisian - different matter. I have seen descriptions of them being as big as a horse, so that's where I'm aiming (a SMALL horse - they will look bloody stupid if they are taller than Grimnar!).

#8 Mephistoned

Mephistoned
  • Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:34 PM

BTW - I recommend u buy ALL heresy books by Dan Abnett. The first one is AMAZING - like how Star Wars I,II and III should have been, nicely political, apparently the opposite of what you would expect, and with every future path subtley mapped. Glorious prose! And now I'm off topic...

<dies, shot by moderator with scout sniper rifle>

#9 Chief_Scout

Chief_Scout
  • Members
  • 57 posts
  • Projects:Chief (aha ha) Coder - Wolf Lords MOD

Posted 05 May 2009 - 07:24 PM

the 13th comp can get indervigal squads of Fwolves and the regular SWs can get them as guards for the heores
Posted Image

#10 Long Fang

Long Fang
  • Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 07:39 PM

thanks for the reply. agreed it will be alright for the wolves to have controll implants, perhaps a bionic addition to the wolf could be bought as wargear?

anyway we all know the space wolves novels totaly kick ass? am i right?

a krootox is a realy heavy unit realy quite strong, 1 wolf alone couldnt take 1 but if there were packs of 3 or 4? id pay to watch the animation of them killing it , perhaps tearing out the throat :thumbsupdrool: ?
War Within, War Without, War Unending. For Russ and the Alfather! For the Wolftime!

#11 Chief_Scout

Chief_Scout
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:52 PM

anyway we all know the space wolves novels totaly kick ass? am i right?

if you mean the ones about ragnar then the first 4 did, the ones by lee lighning were nowhere near as good, all the charcters became the same and in the last book he used the word 'the young space wolf' at least 3 times a page - anoyed the hell out of me

rant over

a krootox is a realy heavy unit realy quite strong, 1 wolf alone couldnt take 1 but if there were packs of 3 or 4? id pay to watch the animation of them killing it , perhaps tearing out the throat :D ?

that animation would be cool :thumbsupdrool:
Posted Image

#12 Long Fang

Long Fang
  • Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:05 PM

agreed, i did notice between the 2 authors that i think only david mentioned reloading XD
and in regards to fenrisian wolf height looks like hip on leman russ but he is taller than other marines so id say around niple height :thumbsupdrool:

#13 Chaplain261

Chaplain261
  • Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:39 PM

Its good to see the Forums have become alive with fellow Battle Brothers.

#14 Chief_Scout

Chief_Scout
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 05:38 PM

nice work again with ulric,
makes my work seem less impressive somehow... :p
Posted Image

#15 Mephistoned

Mephistoned
  • Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:02 PM

nice work again with ulric,
makes my work seem less impressive somehow... :p

We're all on the same team Chief! And at that point all I'de done is pull a few things around, though I've done more since. Looking forward to your next build!

#16 Long Fang

Long Fang
  • Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 02:04 PM

good work , i could never do anything like this , and im lazy :p however couldnt u have used the various banner packs and colour schemes that exist for spacewolves and 13th company. btw has any 1 talked 2 the 13th modders, perhaps we could share stuff

#17 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI Scripting Project
  • Division:DoW
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 10 May 2009 - 03:32 PM

Gawd u chaps are pumping out the good stuff.

KEEP IT GOING!!!!
Advanced Skirmish AI Team Lead for the coolest Warhammer40k PC RTS out there:

Dawn of War Advanced AI Headquarters

Latest DoW Advanced AI Download!

#18 Mephistoned

Mephistoned
  • Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 03:45 PM

I'm certainly up for using existing schemes and banners - but actually I am not aware of any particularly good ones for SW. If anyone knows where I can find some...I'd be very happy! Have already search DOW Files (well, perhaps not banners...).

As for 13th, well they're different enough to make it hard to share models in some ways - all the cannibalised chaos wargear and armour. But I'm up for it if they are.

#19 Mephistoned

Mephistoned
  • Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 03:58 PM

A general request for aid - when I use part of an existing model, eg. the crozius to make Ulrich's crozius, the object often seems pinned to an outside pivot. Ie. if I rotate it it rotates around a distant point, rather than its own axes like other objects. Anyone know how to deal with this? It makes positioning some items very tricky, and is really slowing me down. There MUST be a way of turning this off, but so far I can find no way whatsoever.

Cheers all!

#20 Brother-Captain Vesuvious

Brother-Captain Vesuvious
  • Project Team
  • 248 posts
  • Projects:Dark Angels mod for DoW:SS and UltraMarines mod Modling and Texture for both. UV unwrapping for BFG mod, and my own little project

Posted 10 May 2009 - 04:43 PM

No way that i know of, ill pull from my sources but i believe your up the proverbial creek without a paddle on that one.
Glory to the Emperor, Death to the Fallen.

When out of bullets, i often find that throwing rocks/bricks is a great alternative.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users