#1 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:13 PM

What the title says. I'm not talking about review scores, I'm talking about personal experience. What's the game that you played that, above all other games, you absolutely loathed?

Me? Red Alert 3, closely followed by Constructor.

#2 Rafv Nin IV

Rafv Nin IV

Vermin of Revora

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • Projects:RPG Frontier

Posted 07 May 2009 - 05:15 PM

LotR: Conquest. My friend bought it, despite my constant informing him that everyone who's ever played it says it sucks, and it got horrible reviews. I fiddled with it for about five minutes. It doesn't even seem like it's finished, let alone a decent game.

Posted Image

#3 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:29 PM

Medieval II: Total War before the bugfixes were released. When it first came out I absolutely hated it, but then it slowly grew on me. There were all these little problems, like how every turn would take two years but characters would only age 6 months and the season would change, and loads of other little things. I was also not a fan of the castle/city system. I like order and uniformity among my armies, which you just can't achieve with two different types of settlement. It got irritating.

Now Empire's out and I can't play it because our 2x2GHz processor can't handle a 2.4GHz program. Useless machine. Dell absolutely promised us it would be fine. My brother actually bought the damn computer with the specs for Empire: Total War in mind. Man, was he pissed. :p
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#4 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:41 PM

Might and Magic VII and Stronghold Legends. What a load of crap.

#5 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:09 PM

Might and Magic IX, the last game 3do "released" before they went bankrupt. it somehow managed to keep me around until the final parts of it, but it was mediocre as hell so you really felt the time drip away.

oh, and i remember trying superman 64 for 5 minutes. was something about lex luthor having some evil masterplan that forced superman to fly through hoops around some low-poly city. and by flying i mean stumbling around hitting the buildings and not responding to your button-mashing. that is probably the worst game i've ever played since i only could take it for 5 minutes.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#6 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:47 AM

Hey, Red Alert 2 was really good. It defined a generation of of strategy gamers. I also have the Red Alert Box cover with the American flag in the guy's cross-hairs. He he... can't believe they banned the box art...

Worst game I played was "Jaws, the Video Game". I got it free at Best Buy, I tried it out for 10 minutes and I got so dead board, I sold it at Game Exchange. Easiest 10 cents I ever made.

#7 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:50 AM

It defined

didn't redefine anything

Theres something wrong but i cant quite put my finger on it...

Kacen, define and redefine are two different things, dont confuse them.
Also it is clear you are just a C&C hater, so your opinion isn't one i would trust to be impartial :good:

Worse game that i can think of right now, Counter Strike, it was terrible...

edit:

It was rightfully banned.

I disagree, its just american oversensitivity, i mean, the game is about soviets fighting allies! america is the main power behind the allies, a cover depicting this by having a soviet's crosshairs targeting an american flag is perfectly acceptable in my opinion. If it was an Australian flag i would feel the same way(actually, i would feel special because our flag is on the cover, who cares if its being targeted? Australia ftw! :p)

Edited by some_weirdGuy, 08 May 2009 - 03:54 AM.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:55 AM

Ooo... yea. I remember the Counter Strike days. It made Lost Planet look like it had a good story line.

#9 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 08 May 2009 - 04:35 AM

What was the part you hated about it? The ability to wage nuclear war with your opponent or the great system of deploying troops? What made Red Alert better than Battle For Middle Earth was the fact that there was no insignificant unit. I could use a conscript I made the first minute to the last, and no overpowered hero units...

And the story line was great. Who would expect Yuri to be the Soviet Traitor and form his own army?

#10 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:23 AM

Then again, to be fair, I hate a lot of RTSs, because most don't suit my style of play.

Your not complaining about the game being a bad game then. If you hate the game style, it is bound that you won't like the game in the first place and you'll be biased on your opinion. Your probably least favorite game style is RTS, that you defend well, but as games went at the time of Red Alert 2, you can't say why it was bad compared to them.

Storylines don't make good games.

boring game with shit gameplay and a dumb storyline.

Then you can't use the story line against the game like you did. Also because you have the ability to ignore the plot without effecting the game play in the first place.

For it's time, the way it was set up was great. When was it... 2002 or 2003 when Red Alert 2 came out? When you compare it to more recent games, it has a bit of a disadvantage. Diablos was the greatest game ever created; almost a unanimous vote in 1998. But as time goes on, it looks like crap. You can't play a 2002 game in 2005 or something and not be spoiled by more recent games. Dunno when you played it Kacen, but at the time it was a one of a kind series. The only games where you can wage wars with nukes, tanks and foot soldiers before Red Alert 2 were the previous creations of Command & Conquer. May have been others between the first C&C and Red Alert, but obviously they were crap if I haven't herd of them.

#11 Dreamgirl

Dreamgirl
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:27 AM

Ground Control is a good game with massive environment.But there was a game i hated most still now is ITALIAN JOB.I cant still forget it.Disgusting!!!
"Hymoo.com" - "Create Revolution"- Help Us Spread The Word!

#12 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:34 AM

Thank you for nitpicking at a blatantly obvious typo. You know what I meant, just shows how shit your argument is.

Most amusing, so your whole argument in response to what you quoted must also be a typo also then? As it is arguing the fact that red alert 2 didn't redefine as it had the same style/gameplay concept as the one before it.

That sounds to me like an argument against redefining, not just defining...
Just accept it, you got caught out, and then instead of accepting it you went and made yourself look like a dick by getting all aggressive.

It's a terrible, boring game with shit gameplay and a dumb storyline. Case closed.

And this has any relation to the text you quoted before it how? How does saying you think the game sucks in any way relate to me saying the cover with an american flag in someones crosshairs is perfectly fine?
It doesn't? No i didn't think so.

Can you atleast try and be coherent and think before posting, instead of this reflexive keyboard spasm you seem to have going...
*waits for the next keyboard spasm from Kacen*

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image

#13 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:45 AM

Christ guys, calm yourselves...
This thread's about personal opinion. Kacen hates C&C, fine. None of you are ever going to change his mind. You guys like C&C, he's not going to change your mind. This isn't a thread about the goods and the bads of C&C. Go make a thread for that - I'm hoping to find a lot of people's really bad experiences of gaming, not two people going the rounds about one particular game. All that is is a bad experience of foruming.

All I'll say is that if the worst games he's ever played are RA and RA2, then he's dodged a helluva lot of crappier ones, such as SiN Episodes - DAMN I felt cheated. Also bear in mind that Kacen likes to be controversial. You're just playing into his hands.

More hated games plz.

#14 MadHQ

MadHQ

Killer of all things!

• Project Team
  • 1,435 posts
  • Projects:Kinky Spam bath's!
  •  This is the blue text!

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:34 AM

supreme commander
Zomba Productions - Click here!
Posted Image

#15 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:28 AM

That seemed an unnecessary rant, Kacen. Looks to me like Ash has got your number.

Any of the Metal Gear Solid games. The gameplay was fine, it was just the constant stream of unskippable videos that pissed me off so much. On MGS4 you spend far more time watching videos than actually playing the game, and it's just irritating.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#16 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:34 AM

Supreme Commander was incredibly disappointing IMO. Looked awesome, preordered it and when it arrived it had a French map in it and DVD art. Never got the corrected English version... and then the game itself is pretty generic, except the scale of course.

Ra2 wasnt that good, but C&C and RA1 are definately awesome.

@ Ash - how can Ra3 be the worst game youve ever played? That's ridiculous.

@ Kacen - your obviously one of those players that only plays to win, which is pretty sad really. Your missing out on what games are for - fun and immersion. The storyline is incredibly important to create a believable new world. Graphic style enables this too.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#17 Neutron4ever

Neutron4ever

title available

• Project Team
  • 893 posts
  • Projects:RCMOD, Kings of the West, Battle For Alagaesia
  •  RCMOD and KOTW Betatester and Edit Button Fanatic

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:17 AM

You could have just combined those two posts into one instead of creating two separate posts.

As for me, my least favourite game would be Runescape
It's just way too annoying and the bad graphics don't make it any better
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted Image

#18 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:23 PM

Admin powers save the day again. I'm like a superhero. And yes, Runescape was lame. Poorly constructed and lame.

#19 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:34 PM

THIS IS NOT A FANBOY THREAD.

Just because Mad doesn't like SupCom (I disagree, for the record - I love SupCom) doesn't mean he's stupid or that his contribution to the thread is any less valid than yours. OPINION, to which everyone is entitled. This isn't about review scores, this is about negative experiences of gaming. If, for some reason, you didn't enjoy a game - any game, even one that is generally lauded - you are free to post it, whatever that reason may be. You're more than entitled to be controversial, but Mad didn't even give a reason why he hated it, so you're jumping to conclusions as well as being a cretin. I like SupCom for the same reasons you do, but I can find a fuck of a lot to dislike about it too. F'rinstance, the utter impenetrability of base defences; it's too easy to turtle.

@Bolt: The gameplay of RA3 is utterly awful. The units are drab and altogether stupid, the sides have completely been mangled worse than they were in RA2 (I liked RA2, but I didn't like the direction it went when compared with RA1, and it felt like a game for children, to the point I'm surprised they didn't try to make a Wii port.

@Vort & Kacen: I agree completely with your assessment of MGS. I played the first, and although I enjoyed it, I eventually mentally boiled it down to its component parts of running down a corridor to reach the next cut-scene. Not really a game as far as I'm concerned.

#20 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:13 PM

I'd have to say that I found SupCom quite overrated, as opposed to underrated. Listening to the persistent reviews of some classmates made me think that it was the god of all games, embracing the best of tried-&-tested RTS games, whilst also throwing in other innovative features.
However, I found it to be nothing special.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users