Is God the "good guy"?

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#41 Rattuskid

Rattuskid

I used to be somebody noteworthy... I think

• Members
  • 1,064 posts
  • Projects:Osmium (mostly dead), Immunizer (crib death) and Spritezkrieg (also crib death)
  •  Rattus Norvegicus (bitch)

Posted 15 October 2009 - 11:21 PM

Don't offend the ALMIGHTY , It would be Wise

Hey God? Can you hear me? You're a cocksucker!

I think if God is honestly offended by such, he'd have to be pretty damn childish...
Being a total douche.

#42 Caspa

Caspa

title available

• Members
  • 938 posts
  •  Shine On, Lurk Moar

Posted 16 October 2009 - 01:23 AM

Don't offend the ALMIGHTY , It would be Wise

Hey God? Can you hear me? You're a cocksucker!

I think if God is honestly offended by such, he'd have to be pretty damn childish...

Haven't you read the old testament? He is pretty damn childish.
Hostile is a cunt.

Thought I'd have that here to save time.

#43 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 16 October 2009 - 03:03 AM

Well it's not like Atheists have much of a better case on morals. It's either be a relatively stable religion or just be faithless and bitter about the uselessness of the universe.

Excuse me? Name a time where atheists have massacred entire populations for their not being atheists.

Dare I mention Columbine? Or the godless nations of the 3rd Reich? Also about a dozen proclaimed atheist generals in Africa that butcher and burn any village that has or had a religious missionary in it. The ones already Christian and Muslim are already burnt down, so no need to speculate on those useless piles of ash.

I don't give a crap if anyone's atheist... I'm just fed up when people make Atheism a religion. It's a religion when a phrase like, "I'm not a believer, so I proclaim myself in supporting my belief and converting others unintentionally / intentionally." To worship nothing is still worshiping.

#44 Rattuskid

Rattuskid

• Members
  • 1,064 posts
  • Projects:Osmium (mostly dead), Immunizer (crib death) and Spritezkrieg (also crib death)

Posted 16 October 2009 - 04:31 AM

Dare I mention Columbine?

They killed anyone they could, regardless of religion. And the girl that Dylan asked the 'God' question to just said she didn't know, and freaked out.
Being a total douche.

#45 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:13 AM

And the Nazis weren't typically atheist. Hitler wasn't totally irreligious, and he generated a personality cult. Germany wasn't all that irreligous either. Lots of christians and christianity and christian symbolism. Even though the genocide was religiously-motivated, one cannot argue that general Nazi motives were even remotely pertinent to religion.

#46 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:17 AM

Also about a dozen proclaimed atheist generals in Africa that butcher and burn any village that has or had a religious missionary in it.

And those missionaries to which you are referring were killed because they were only there to try and force their religion on people who had lived quite happily without it and honestly didn't give a shit about it. If they turned up and were quietly religious in their own way while contributing to the life of the community, I think we can be relatively sure they wouldn't have been killed.

Unless we're talking crazy New Guinea cannibal tribes, who may have eaten them just to see what they tasted like, but I think we can agree that's a special case.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#47 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 16 October 2009 - 11:12 AM

Also, Nazi Germany were averagely religious. if they didn't care too much about religion they prolly wouldn't have hated the jews as much as they did.

If there was a big bad atheist around WW2, it would have been Soviet. The only thing you were allowed to worship there was communism. churches were converted to clubhouses for different pro-communistic activities. opiate for the people and all that.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#48 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 02:00 PM

Ah, but as WW2 was progressing, Stalin decided to allow the Russian Orthodox to preach again. Guess he figured he needed God on his side, despite Germany flouting Rule One on Page One of the Book of War, according to Bernard Montgomery. :p

#49 Comrade General

Comrade General
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 02:26 PM

Well, I think that we're forgetting something here: the one we're talking about is GOD. He's supposed to be infinitely wiser than all of us combined, so He must have a good reason for doing what He did, a reason that us mere mortals can't even begin to comprehend. He is God, after all.

I also used to think that there's something wrong with what God did back then before I realized that He is God, which means He is able to see things we can't even begin to understand. Since I can't understand His reasons for now, I'll stop here and start meditating on the Bible and asking God for help on this one so that He can give a clearer answer. :p

God is malevolent.
Lucifer was unjustly punished for refusing to bow down to a bunch of hairless apes.
Jesus was a homosexual.
Priests rape altar boys.
Jews have big noses.
Organized religion is bullshit.
I shit on eggs.

Lucifer tried to usurp God's position as... well... God. Only a fool wouldn't punish a scheming ingrate like that.
There is no solid proof which suggests that Jesus was a homosexual.
I haven't done my research yet, and I'm not a Catholic, so I shouldn't comment on the third point... yet.
Not all Jews have big noses.
Jesus went up against the organized religion of His day, so I'd partially agree with the fifth point.
Wha...?

Edited by Puppeteer, 16 October 2009 - 05:01 PM.

#50 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 16 October 2009 - 03:29 PM

Oh geese... so much text. I'll just make one comment and nod my head at the rest.

Dare I mention Columbine?

They killed anyone they could, regardless of religion. And the girl that Dylan asked the 'God' question to just said she didn't know, and freaked out.

Well... it sort of was. They dragged girls into the bathroom and asked them, "Do you believe in God?" Or something along those lines. If they said yes, then they were shot. The halls were just open season though.

#51 Caspa

Caspa

title available

• Members
  • 938 posts
  •  Shine On, Lurk Moar

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:16 PM

I'm getting too fucking old for this shit.

Well, I think that we're forgetting something here: the one we're talking about is GOD. He's supposed to be infinitely wiser than all of us combined

What's supposed to be and what really is are two different things entirely. Gaming quality is supposed to improve over time, with the improvements of technology, but the truth is very different. Your "God" is supposed to be this, that and the other. He's not.

so He must have a good reason for doing what He did, a reason that us mere mortals can't even begin to comprehend.

The reason is that he's a jealous, bigoted, hypocritical, malevolent little child. That doesn't seem too hard to comprehend.

He is God, after all.

That's no excuse. I'm Caspa, yet that doesn't instantly become a good excuse for flaming.

I also used to think that there's something wrong with what God did back then before I realized that He is God

Yeah, brainwashing will do that to you.

which means He is able to see things we can't even begin to understand. Since I can't understand His reasons for now, I'll stop here and start meditating on the Bible and asking God for help on this one so that He can give a clearer answer. :p

Instead of meditating on the bible, hows about you get your arse off it and start reading the fucking thing. Don't go hoping for answers from God, because the last I checked, he hasn't done dick lately. Your supposed "God" is either dead, and that's the really generous theory, or he simply doesn't give a fuck.

Lucifer tried to usurp God's position as... well... God.

Bullshit. I've clearly stated the reason why Lucifer was cast into the pits of Hell. The whole "take over heaven" bullshit was conspired by the catholic church back in the dark ages in an attempt to make Lucifer appear to be an evil demon. A new attempt at medieval populous control and nothing more.

There is no solid proof which suggests that Jesus was a homosexual.

Give me a day or two and I'll pull out a direct reference stating clearly that your Jesus had sexual relations with a man. Any of the oldies here who remember the atheist topic will be able to tell you this isn't the first time I've proven Jesus was a big fucking faggot.

I haven't done my research yet

That is VERY obvious.

and I'm not a Catholic, so I shouldn't comment on the third point... yet.

You can't dispute it. It's a well known fact that priests sexually abuse minors.

Not all Jews have big noses.

Yes they do. Jews have been segregated from other people for so long that they've become a race, and each race has their traits.

Jesus went up against the organized religion of His day, so I'd partially agree with the fifth point.

Once again, fuck your faggot Jesus. ALL organized religions are bullshit. They were (and to a point, still are) the effective populace control of their day. Science and reason are finally taking over and religion is slowly dying. Get over it or get used to it.

Wha...?

That last bit was a joke. Now fuck off and do some research before you shoot your mouth off again.

Edited by Caspa, 17 October 2009 - 03:00 AM.

Hostile is a cunt.

Thought I'd have that here to save time.

#52 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Job:Leader

Posted 17 October 2009 - 10:41 AM

It's hilarious reading your post and then reading your signature, Caspa.

I agree with you, though. Religious = delusional. Period.

Edited by Matias, 17 October 2009 - 10:41 AM.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#53 Spectre

Spectre

Rampant AI

• Hosted
  • 1,240 posts
  • Projects:Worldbuilding
  •  The Undead

Posted 17 October 2009 - 04:18 PM

I tend to disagree with Good and Evil as a way of classifying people; as like most classifications, accusations of good or evil can be fabricated. The Salem Witchcraft Trials of 1692 is a perfect example.

Although I will say if there were to be a true Evil, God fits the bill. Like most other religions, our "god" serves the role of making millions fear his divine wrath just for the sake that 'he' can delude the population with false prophecies and fabrications of the past.

#54 True Lord of Chaos

True Lord of Chaos

I have returned, mostly out of boredom.

• Members
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 08:10 PM

And the Nazis weren't typically atheist. Hitler wasn't totally irreligious, and he generated a personality cult. Germany wasn't all that irreligous either. Lots of christians and christianity and christian symbolism. Even though the genocide was religiously-motivated, one cannot argue that general Nazi motives were even remotely pertinent to religion.

Hitler was religious, he thought he was carrying out God's work when he slaughtered the Jews and such.

Hello everyone. I am back.

#55 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Job:Artist

Posted 17 October 2009 - 09:50 PM

I totally agree with Caspa's opinion that all jews have big noses. They actually invented a vaccine consisting of a gene-altering virus that will make your nose grow, in case you married into a jewish family. If you refuse to take the shot(because you don't want to become a jew or are atheistic and think your new family should be without such things), they'll just sneak into your house at night and inject it into you unwittingly. Together with the pro-Jew vaccine.

On a more serious note. If there is a god, the wisest thing he ever did was to stop interfering. Once you as a god start interfering, the creatures you are god over will use this as proof that their cause is just, and it will merely bring more death and ignorance into the picture. If there is a god, the best thing he can do is to let us live in a atheistic universe, exploring it one atom at the time; Inventing peaceful moral codes that are oriented around human nature instead of a flawed theological standpoint based on fairytales with no basis in our true selves.

If anything, if a sufficiently advanced alien came around, studied our civilization for weaknesses, then the weakest link would be religion. If that alien was clever, he could easily fool the religious part of the human civilization to believe that he is the one true god. Then he barely would need to use any of his technology to subject us to his will. he'd just have the blackshirts do the dirty job for him. So secularism and atheism is a more healthy standpoint for the future than blind faith.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#56 Rattuskid

Rattuskid

• Members
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 10:56 PM

Well... it sort of was. They dragged girls into the bathroom and asked them, "Do you believe in God?" Or something along those lines. If they said yes, then they were shot. The halls were just open season though.

No. They. Did. Not.

They asked one (1) girl whom they knew was religious if she believed in God, she said she didn't know, freaked out. Then she got a bullet. The family later claimed that she was reading a bible at time (it was when they were in the library IIRC) and she answered unequivocally 'yes'. The family did this, because much like many religious types, they were really soulless and wanted to capitalize on their daughter's death.
Being a total douche.

#57 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 12:55 PM

+1 for Duke attacking with TV tropes. :p

If there is a God, why would he let people believe he didn't exist? Why would he let them believe different versions of the tale? Why would he have let them believe in other gods for thousands of years?

Christianity, and even Judaism as we know them, are not exactly 'old'. The latter is around three and a half thousand years old, the former only about 1900 (that being Roman Catholicism, not the New-Testament-Only Catholicism[/i].

The Egyptian mythos probably extended long before that, as did those of Ancient Greece. Druidism across northwestern Europe certainly did. Let's not even get into Mesoamerican cultures, about which we know very little before Cortes and his wonderfully benevolent catholic intercessions into their lands. We do, however, know about vast amounts of animism throughout the north American tribes and even throughout the rest of the world before the three primary dogmas drove them out.

What I'm getting at is, what's to say that any of these are wrong? Christianity could well have damned us all because it turns out the Greeks were right. The fact that the appearance of modern humankind, irrespective of whether you believe the evolutionist or creationist version of events (~32,000ya vs ~18,000ya respectively), STILL PREDATES THE MONOTHEISTIC GOD. So, that's between 15 and 28,000 years' worth of peoples who are guaranteed to be damned according to the devout. And it's not even their fault because they didn't even know about God.

It would also imply an even more sinister facet of God's malevolence, because he would've created people but not told them who he was or to worship him so he could damn them. He therefore can reatroactively damn unbelievers for not believing in him, even if he didn't exist to be believed in at the time.

Does this sound like a fair and just God to you? Millions upon millions of people got along just fine without the Christian God, instead using their own explanation of life, the universe and everything. I bet not one Christian has ever considered the possibility that their view of things might be the wrong one. I have. I keep coming back to the conclusion I've already reached, but I have. Look back on history and see how many other different perspectives have gone past. Christianity and Islam just happen to be the most popular at the moment. But it wasn't always so.

Science, unlike religion, is prepared to accept the possibility that it is wrong. It will explore other views and ideas and amend itself. Science does not say categorically that God does not exist, nor does it say categorically that evolution did happen. It's based on the most likely outcome of all known variables.

#58 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  Greedy capitalist and cynical bastard.

Posted 18 October 2009 - 03:19 PM

That's a wrong link to tvtropes, Ash. If it was a Xanatos Gambit on God's part, he'd have a very sinister reason for why he didn't tell humans about his existence until about 5,000 years ago. I think the correct term to describe it would be 'chaotic evil'.
It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#59 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 03:30 PM

Hmm, true. For some reason, at the time I thought it was a Xanatos Gambit. I suppose I had him down automatically as malevolent, in which case it could be. He gets converts fearing damnation, and anyone who didn't believe got damnation, even retroactively. Catholics were particularly effective in this regard. :p

I don't think Chaotic Evil...God's definitely lawful evil, since he wants the law to be his. The difference is that he likes to change the laws as it suits him, in what can only be described as a Heel-Heel Turn.

#60 DIGI_Byte

DIGI_Byte

Unitologist

• Hosted
  • 1,747 posts
  • Projects:GTFO
  •  Everybody do the Flop!

Posted 18 October 2009 - 03:47 PM

:p
Ah you gotta love this don't you...

If god is real, and he loves us they way Bible says, We are going to heaven no matter what. Personally I don't wanna go to either heaven or hell, In "heaven", the way it sounds... people contempt at existing in a bright, shiny and cloudy place where every one is gassed up and Happy juice, That is noway to spend out eternity, Then you got "hell" we'll in not into the stylized leather and torture...

Lyon-Fixed.gif
RIP 2323

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users