Photo

PC Vs. Mac: The Final Showdown

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Poll: PC Vs. Macintosh

Who is Superior?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 25 May 2009 - 03:12 AM

It's been debated for the past millennium and now I'm just gettin' sick of it. We're the most intelligent people on earth, so what we decide goes.

But I hate Mac so much; if it wins I'll call the whole thing off. Use advanced (real) facts to explain your reasoning. Or you can be just like me and just hate Mac without any effort to say why. But if you prefer Mac, you must tell us why. Neh... tried to make this as least bias as possible, but I can't see that happening.

If you vote and are later convinced otherwise, I will change the vote. So discuss away. ;)

Edited by Caspa, 25 May 2009 - 05:46 AM.

#2 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 25 May 2009 - 03:31 AM

Now now, you know there will be many people who come and say Linux ;)

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#3 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 25 May 2009 - 03:38 AM

Neh... that and Amiga... ;)

#4 Spectre

Spectre

Rampant AI

• Hosted
  • 1,240 posts
  • Projects:Worldbuilding
  •  The Undead

Posted 25 May 2009 - 04:08 AM

I like the PC, but the Vigorous Mac vs. PC war has got to stop.

#5 Vithar-133

Vithar-133

Violent Gandhi

• Project Team
  • 1,975 posts
  • Projects:Existing
  •  It's not your skill, boys. It's your will. Ooh-rah!

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:38 AM

So far, PC leads, 100 to zero...I've always used PC's. Except in schools when I had no other option. Those times were thankfully rare.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 jnengland77

jnengland77

Lurking Behind the Curtain

• Network Admins
  • 260 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Server Lord

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:46 AM

There I fixed the poll. You were missing an option... ;)

By the way Linux for the win! ;)

#7 Caspa

Caspa

title available

• Members
  • 938 posts
  •  Shine On, Lurk Moar

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:47 AM

Neh... that and Amiga... ;)

I miss mine.
Hostile is a cunt.

Thought I'd have that here to save time.

#8 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  Greedy capitalist and cynical bastard.

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:15 AM

PC. Just because.
It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#9 segwayrulz

segwayrulz

title available

• Members
  • 788 posts
  • Projects:....

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:39 AM

PC, because mac's are stupid because there arent as many games for them, also they only sell due to cheap gimmicks such as being able to fit in an envelope (macbook air), they dont have the raw processing power of PC's. Oh and BTW linux is only good for servers otherwise its crap in my opinion.

#10 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 25 May 2009 - 11:35 AM

PC. Just because it's what I'm used to. I've never had a Mac, and iPod, or any other Apple product, and I probably never will. It's just habit and a dislike for technology that has been taken to pointless extremes. For example, who really needs an iPod with a 160GB memory? That's more than half again my laptop's hard drive, which is nearly two years old, but still. It is physically impossible to listen to 160GB of music, so I assume it's meant for films, which confuses me even more. I've tried to watch TV on a tiny screen before. It's not fun. You have to really concentrate, because if you look away for a moment then you miss everything.

I'm a bit of a technophobe, past a certain useful point.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#11 GodSun666

GodSun666

Marching Trough The Eternal Fields Of Chaos!

• Banned
  • 1,439 posts
  • Projects:Fast Fun And Crazy for Red Alert 3

Posted 25 May 2009 - 02:18 PM

PC because i have used it since i was 7. And if i could vote for two things ubuntu is my second choise!

Oh and btw.. Anti Aple ;)! I dont own any apple products. And iam going to buy an Google Phone:)!

thats it.
для матери Россия! Советский Союз победит! Америка может облизывать мои яйца
Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 jnengland77

jnengland77

Lurking Behind the Curtain

• Network Admins
  • 260 posts
  • Job:Server Lord

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:13 PM

Oh and BTW linux is only good for servers otherwise its crap in my opinion.

Care to explain why you think that?

Oh and BTW Windows is only good for games, otherwise it's crap in my opinion.

I've worked with both extensively. I've used Linux for over five years now, both as a server and a desktop. It's a very solid low maintenance operating system.

Sure it doesn't have many games, but it has the capacity to run games. There are still quite a few games for Introvision games, Doom/Quake (all), Prey, Dominions 3, etc.. The only fault here is by Microsoft's monopolistic practices and people too stupid enough to realize there is an alternative. Or afraid/confused because it's different than Windows.

There is one thing I wouldn't use Linux for and that's audio [music] recording. The sound subsystem is terrible.

Windows is alright, not many technological innovations for a while. And really hasn't changed it's appearance much since Windows 95. Same formula, a start bar and desktop icons.

#13 Casen

Casen

title available

• Members
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:57 PM

Sometimes I wonder if I hate Macs mostly because of how snobby the Mac users are.

They think they're so much better, with their scarves, sitting outside of starbucks typing away like little indie liberal trash commie faggots...but I digress.

The only reason Macs are more "stable" and virus free is simple: Fewer people use them.

Fewer people use them. That means fewer people make viruses for them. That means there's fewer third party programs for Macs. This leads to the common complaint against Macs, that is them being incompatible with a lot of programs. But that leads to them generally being more stable as most programs for Macs are first party. But that doesn't mean Macs are better., though they also tend to, by default, come bundled with more art software, though you can of course still get equivalent software for PCs, though for the best stuff you have to buy it. But when you consider Macs generally cost a lot more than PC's that offsets it.

Macs are also, essentially, the AOL of operating systems; they're easier for people who don't know what they are doing. It's harder for an idiot who doesn't know much about computers to screw around and mess up Mac software than with a PC. If you know what your doing though a PC is stable, and generally more adaptable.

To put it simply, if you consider all that, neither one is better than the other, though Mac users are so fucking annoying I just hate Macs by default. And I've used PC's all my life and I am never going to switch.

I also heard Windows 7 is amazing.

#14 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:08 PM

They think they're so much better, with their scarves, sitting outside of starbucks typing away like little indie liberal trash commie faggots...but I digress.

Wow... I can't believe how true that is... And the Mac commercials say it all, all Mac users look like Jim off of The Office and dress like they walked out of an Old Navy in the Ghetto.

Oh come on, who voted Amiga? Probably you Caspa. But hey... still beats Mac, so no complaints.

I can at least say the only thing that Mac can beat is a 1995 Mac. Still would be a close match...

#15 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:30 PM

Posted Image
:dry:

Edited by Beowulf, 25 May 2009 - 10:31 PM.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#16 Caspa

Caspa

title available

• Members
  • 938 posts
  •  Shine On, Lurk Moar

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:42 PM

I also heard Windows 7 is amazing.

It's not that bad, but it's not that good either. Think of it as a Vista with most of the annoying shit uninstalled, more pictures than words, a lot faster and a few more bells and whistles. It's alright, but nothing to write home about. x86 version isn't worth pissing on though.

Oh come on, who voted Amiga? Probably you Caspa. But hey... still beats Mac, so no complaints.

It's your own fault. You mentioned the good old, reliable Commadore Amiga and I nostalgia'd. Anyway, so far it's out voting both macs and linux put together so it can't be that bad.
Hostile is a cunt.

Thought I'd have that here to save time.

#17 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Job:Network Leader
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:13 AM

I believe Mac would actually be my second choice now, simply because of its solid BSD base and maybe for all the UI innovations Apple has come up with or made functional.

Windows is simply of inferior quality, although it's finally getting a little better security-wise with improved UAC. Yay for adopting a concept that the Unix world has had for decades.

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#18 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:21 AM

Mac as a second choice? Hey... at least a Linux has two mouse buttons for Peat's sake.
And why does Amiga have 3 votes? It's like voting for Mel Brooks in a presidential race. You know he's cool, but the little guy just won't get that big. True... shouldn't have brought that up.

#19 True Lord of Chaos

True Lord of Chaos

I have returned, mostly out of boredom.

• Members
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:42 AM

PC, every Mac I use is absolutely terrible. The school computers are extremely slow, partially due to the server being shit, and my friend's old laptop was very shitty. He's moved onto PCs, too.

Hello everyone. I am back.

#20 Shine On

Shine On

Resident Photographer

• Hosted
  • 3,828 posts
  •  Ex Cameo Maker and Modder

Posted 26 May 2009 - 05:49 AM

There was no real competition imo, PC all the way. However i have to say they all do have advantages in some ways...

Mac - Used alot in the Digital and Photography industry, seems to be custom teired to forus on this sort of computing and working with high quality files. Hence why alot of people in the creative industry go for these. Still think its VERY overpriced for what it is though... bit like Sony :dry:

Linux - By far the most stable and possibly most reliable of the lot, indeed best used for servers because of this fact. Otherwise not really worth it.

Amiga - Good asa bookend or door stop, also funny because its name is one letter away from asking if its gay? XD
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users