20 replies to this topic

#1 Caspa

Caspa

title available

• Members
  • 938 posts
  •  Shine On, Lurk Moar

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:43 AM

Since it's been mentioned backstage, let's get this out in the open so there's no bitching or confusion.

If a member of staff tells you your signature is too big, you will be given an adequate 48 hours to change it. If it is not changed within this time frame, we will change it as we see fit. Some of us will just delete your sigs. Some of us will actively edit them to be smaller. Some of us will replace them with furry images. It's your sig, not ours. We don't care.

If your signature needs editing for content reasons, it will simply be deleted immediately and you will be given a warn.

Unless anyone else has something to say on the matter, that is all.
Hostile is a cunt.

Thought I'd have that here to save time.

#2 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 25 May 2009 - 11:37 AM

While not set in stone, this is the general max sig size guideline:

Posted Image

This is what you could possibly justify using. Depending on how "useful" we find the stuff you put inside that space, it may be too large.
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#3 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 25 May 2009 - 12:51 PM

Well, I'm glad I recently downsized my sig, then. ;)

*Nice to see you back, Caspa. Kind of. ;)*

Edited by ithilienranger732, 25 May 2009 - 12:51 PM.

BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#4 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts
  • Projects:PPM, PPM: Final Dawn, OS SHP Builder, OS Palette Editor, OS W3D Viewer, VXLSE III, etc...
  •  Retired Network Leader
  • Job:Maintenance Admin

Posted 25 May 2009 - 02:06 PM

48 hours is a lot of time. I like the way I do at PPM. I simply replace the person's signature with this:

Please, read the signature rules of the forum.

It follows the signature rules and promotes them to other members. It seems to be quite efficient there.
Project Perfect Mod

Command & Conquer Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, Tools, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Posted Image

#5 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:15 PM

Excellent... something I can help crack down on. But do we care about width? I never had any width problems unless they extended the size of the page.

Oh... and when you are warning someone about their size in an e-mail, make sure to add in the cute picture PG posted so they know what the standard size is.

Edited by {IP}Pasidon, 25 May 2009 - 07:20 PM.

#6 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 07:16 PM

As long as the page fits in 1000px it's ok.
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#7 need my speed

need my speed

For Soviet people!

• Hosted
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 07:36 PM

I noticed this action...Good, though, although I wonder, is it really so horrible to have a, say, 250 pixels sig instead of a 200 one? I can understand that if your sig is 500 pixels large it's a bit too large. It's probably handy to have an official maximum size to avoid confusion, but I don't see anyone here having a super large sig so. Remember, I'm not complaining, just asking!

Banshee's idea is a good one though, I suggest to use it.

Edited by need my speed, 25 May 2009 - 07:36 PM.

Please, if you see a mistake in my posts - spelling, grammar, punctuation, or whatever else - point it out. How can one learn from mistakes, if one is not corrected?
There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

#8 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:45 PM

I wonder, is it really so horrible to have a, say, 250 pixels sig instead of a 200 one?

I wonder, is it really so necessary to have a sig that large? :dry:

#9 Caspa

Caspa

title available

• Members
  • 938 posts
  •  Shine On, Lurk Moar

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:01 PM

While not set in stone, this is the general max sig size guideline:

As long as the page fits in 1000px it's ok.

That works for me. The new current guideline is now 200x1000. Key word there is guideline. If it's a little over, then use your discretion. If it's a little over, big whoop. If they take the piss, then issue a warning.

Banshee's idea is a good one though, I suggest to use it.

No it's not.

48 hours is a lot of time. I like the way I do at PPM.

This isn't PPM and 48 hours is 2 days. Some members only frequent once or twice a week. If you've got a job or are neck deep in studies, then 2 days can just vanish. Trust me, I have a lot of experience in this field. At least with a little notice, people have time to actually see there's a problem and sort it out themselves.
As for just deleting it and leaving a dumb message, no. Some people take pride in their signature. Some put a lot of time and effort into it. If they didn't, why bother with a "rate the above avatar and signature" thread? Would it really be rght or fair to just delete their work, if they've put a little effort into it? Exactly. Unless the signatures content needs deleting, we give them fair warning first.

Oh... and when you are warning someone about their size in an e-mail, make sure to add in the cute picture PG posted so they know what the standard size is.

Or just tell them the guidelines.

Any further business?
Hostile is a cunt.

Thought I'd have that here to save time.

#10 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts
  • Projects:PPM, PPM: Final Dawn, OS SHP Builder, OS Palette Editor, OS W3D Viewer, VXLSE III, etc...
  •  Retired Network Leader
  • Job:Maintenance Admin

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:28 PM

PPM was just a sample and honestly, the same concept would apply quite well here. The person can take pride in their signature if their signature follow the rules, otherwise, they shouldn't. And the message is not dumb. It's quite straight to the point: make a signature that does not violate the rules of the forum or promote the rules of the forum. Once the person notices that the signature was changed (in PPM it happens quite fast), they'll certainly edit it. If they don't, it won't harm them, really.

I've never seen someone with e-penis down because the signature promoted the rules of the forum.
Project Perfect Mod

Command & Conquer Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, Tools, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Posted Image

#11 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 26 May 2009 - 02:10 AM

True... but hard to tell when you have multiple pictures and regular text. I can't count in pixels without using photo shop or something.

#12 Spectre

Spectre

Rampant AI

• Hosted
  • 1,240 posts
  • Projects:Worldbuilding
  •  The Undead

Posted 26 May 2009 - 03:04 AM

True... but hard to tell when you have multiple pictures and regular text. I can't count in pixels without using photo shop or something.

Right click on the picture and click Properties, it usually gives you widthxlength in pixels.

#13 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:00 AM

Just add up the image heights and take a guess for the lines of text. If it seems too big, it is to big.

Anyway, yours is obviously too high already.

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#14 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:51 AM

Right click on the picture and click Properties, it usually gives you widthxlength in pixels.

Unless you're using Chrome... anyone know where a similar function is?

#15 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 26 May 2009 - 01:46 PM

I really think this is a profitless waste of staffers' time that could be better spent on network-wide improvements. Go with 'within reason' instead; it makes more sense.

No doubt someone'll bitch about my signature. Ideally it'd stack widthways, just to stop the monkeys throwing their fecal matter at me, but...

*Dons anti-shit deflector shield*

#16 m@tt

m@tt

#######

• Project Team
  • 4,056 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:18 PM

"The new current guideline is now 200x1000"

Not quite, 1000 is too wide. 2PG meant total page width. So a width of 800px max, then it starts to stretch the page (for people like me with 1024x768px screens at least).
Posted Image

#17 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 27 May 2009 - 02:50 AM

Unless you're using Chrome... anyone know where a similar function is?

Yea, have the same Chrome issue. I'm sure there's a way with it though.

#18 True Lord of Chaos

True Lord of Chaos

I have returned, mostly out of boredom.

• Members
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:18 AM

Use Inspect Element, and in the right part of the window opened with it, it'll say the width and height.

Hello everyone. I am back.

#19 segwayrulz

segwayrulz

title available

• Members
  • 788 posts
  • Projects:....

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:26 AM

I actually want someone to have a massive sig then get furry images to replace it :lol:
I think I need to revamp my signature

#20 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:13 AM

Use Inspect Element, and in the right part of the window opened with it, it'll say the width and height.

I still can't see it... there's the dimensions of the board, and that's it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users