Photo

Who would really win? Mace or Sidious?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Poll: Mace vs. Sidious

Who would win in a rematch?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 CIL

CIL

Ex-troll

• Members
  • 1,330 posts
  • Projects:Lurking
  •  I'm a physician now. Scary, right?

Posted 29 May 2009 - 05:21 AM

Who do you think was more powerful: Mace or Sidious? Take into account all powers that were known on both sides. Given that knowledge, I would vote for Sidious, but what does everyone else think?

EDIT: Do not vote unless you have more than a vague understanding about BOTH of their powers, not just Mace's Form VII.

EDIT II: Note that this is opinion. It's not "you're wrong if you vote him."

Edited by CIL, 09 June 2009 - 12:34 AM.

I'm creeping, not gone.

#2 Annullus The Grey

Annullus The Grey

Historian... Master of Ages

• Hosted
  • 269 posts
  • Projects:Twilight of the Republic

Posted 29 May 2009 - 09:32 AM

if you vote windu then you do not understand the character of palpatine or what he really was trying to achieve. by being bested by windu he achieved so much more than victory wouldve given him and he is one who would do anything for victory and power
If your reading this i probably am drunk in a ditch somewhere near you

the magical drunken teleporter

SELF PROCLAIMED FORUM DRUNK!!

#3 drogoth232

drogoth232

What a shame

• Members
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:17 AM

What Annulus said. He lost only so that Anakin would see that the Jedi were the "bad guys" and he was on the "good side" so he would join the "right side" which is actually the dark side, which is actually the bad side. Really confusing to understand at first but thats why Palpatine "lost".
Wait... what?

#4 Githiran

Githiran

Master strategist, if the troop numbers are right...

• Project Team
  • 367 posts
  • Projects:RC Mod, Lone Wolf Beta Tester.
  •  Useless for anything but ideas...

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:46 AM

Well, i don't know much about star wars, but i would have said mace windu, cuz he's the good guy :)

it's a bit unfair to give a poll then say "you are wrong if you choose mace windu", it sorta defeats the object :good:

just because sidious was as good as he was as a fighter, doesn't mean that mace would be flattened in like two seconds, even with sidious going full out.
A master strategist, such as Zhuge Liang, will be remembered not for his intellect, but for his common sense.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:47 AM

I chose Windu, just to spite the lot of you.
BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#6 Ed Of The 3rd Kind

Ed Of The 3rd Kind

Edward Fitzgerald

• Hosted
  • 945 posts
  • Projects:Star Wars: TOTR/RJ-ROTWK/S.E.E.
  •  Modeller. Animator. Light Coding/Skinning

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:23 PM

Sidious would win but Mace would definitely have given a good fight beforehand. I always felt this part of the movie was rather too quick, the part where the jedi council members were killed seemed alittle rushed due to the fact that Sidious cut them down so easily, that fight scene looked really clumsy, one of the few fight scenes I didn't like. It made up for it afterward with Windu & Sidious but even that was rushed, when you see it in terms of the movie right from the start Sidious is fighting with the hilt held high but the saber end low and he fights really slowly and quite clumsily because of his stance. It's this clumsiness that annoys me about the scene when he cuts down the council members, it just seems to happen and the council members are pretty much just standing there letting it happen... it's a scene I think Lucas didn't concentrate on enough because this was his chance to prove how powerful Sidious was as a swordsman, I know the (lucas can do no wrong) fans will defend the scene to the end but admittedly as strongly as I love Star Wars the scene could've been alot better. The pacing of the scene could be same just the action alittle more on the side of impressive, they could've always dulled it down toward the end to make the audience think Sidious was tiring from the fight with Windu.

Posted Image

#7 Githiran

Githiran

Master strategist, if the troop numbers are right...

• Project Team
  • 367 posts
  • Projects:RC Mod, Lone Wolf Beta Tester.
  •  Useless for anything but ideas...

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:30 PM

I agree with most (if not all) of that :p was this around the time that sidious got his "emergency powers" back or something? if so, maybe he was trying to show sidious' ability after his powers had been dormant for a while, much like that of the balrog awakening in moria.

again, i'm not a strong knower of star wars, and im probably wrong, but still, maybe it was something to do with dormant powers, and that sidious had gotten sloppy because of not needing to fight for so long, making it a lot easier on windu. I'm so annoyed he dies :sad:

Edited by Githiran, 29 May 2009 - 01:30 PM.

A master strategist, such as Zhuge Liang, will be remembered not for his intellect, but for his common sense.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 Taralom

Taralom

Self-proclaimed A**hole

• Project Team
  • 1,519 posts
  • Projects:Turned to Writing
  •  I R GOOGL'd

Posted 29 May 2009 - 02:26 PM

I've voted Mace, since he "invented" a new form of lightsabre duelling, which was too hard for others to achieve, since it had some corrupting aspects. Yet, Mace could stand against the corruption and use the form.

*and I know nothing about Sidious whatsoever :p
If the above post offended you in any way,
please take note that, until further notice, I don't care, so get lost.

#9 Annullus The Grey

Annullus The Grey

Historian... Master of Ages

• Hosted
  • 269 posts
  • Projects:Twilight of the Republic

Posted 29 May 2009 - 02:55 PM

ed i will agree lucas was a fool in some parts, but it is his vision so to speak. i support palpatine in this because i understand the philosophy of his character at no point was he ever in danger from the jedi else they never wouldve foudn out who he was, before he had won he was far more cunning than he was arrogant
If your reading this i probably am drunk in a ditch somewhere near you

the magical drunken teleporter

SELF PROCLAIMED FORUM DRUNK!!

#10 Ed Of The 3rd Kind

Ed Of The 3rd Kind

Edward Fitzgerald

• Hosted
  • 945 posts
  • Projects:Star Wars: TOTR/RJ-ROTWK/S.E.E.
  •  Modeller. Animator. Light Coding/Skinning

Posted 29 May 2009 - 04:32 PM

I totally agree with that, I just don't believe it was successfully translated onto the film. We knew he was cunning, we knew he had to have been to continue to hide in plain site. However I'm really only focusing on that scene and as much as we all loved it, it is still a very flawed scene, technically it might have been done in a clumsy way due to limitations with special effects, Palpatines face was digitally imposed on a younger actor. Although Dookus scenes were done this way also and the fight was much faster paced... Dunno, I love the scene but it was all just too easy, I coulda killed those council members if I had a saber (and if the Star Wars universe existed).

Posted Image

#11 CIL

CIL

Ex-troll

• Members
  • 1,330 posts
  • Projects:Lurking
  •  I'm a physician now. Scary, right?

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:08 PM

@Tar: Vaapad was not only a lightsaber form, but rather a state of mind and concentration which channeled one's love of fighting into light side energy. That's why Sidious's Dun Moch bounced off Mace during the duel and why the other Jedi seemed so distracted and demoralized and went down so fast. Another odd thing about it was the fact that the state of mind enabled a superconducting loop, which allowed the deflection of electricity. That includes Lightning, although it didn't mean that it put immense physical streign on Mace. That's why he was pushed back part of the time in the movie when he was in a deadlock with Sidious's lightning and was losing for a few seconds.

And concerning the fight, Ed, I couldn't agree more. Saesee just had his lightsaber up ready to strike and Kolar wasn't even looking at Sidious, but rather was looking at a pretty vase behind him. Was it pretty enough to have it being the last thing you look at? I'd say not. Kit Fisto didn't exactly fight like a Grievous-defeating Jedi, either.

Edited by CIL, 29 May 2009 - 11:11 PM.

I'm creeping, not gone.

#12 Gfire

Gfire

Nuju

• Project Team
  • 2,173 posts
  • Projects:Finding My Way
  •  The Perfectionist

Posted 30 May 2009 - 12:45 AM

IIRC, they didn't use the face-paste system for Sidious, but only Dooku. Or at least, a lot less of it. Christopher Lee is about 20 years older than Ian McDiarmid, I think.
Greetings, community.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users