Photo

Mac Vs. PC

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Poll: Mac Vs. PC

Machine

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Operating System

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Which do you use these days

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Caspa

Caspa

title available

• Members
  • 938 posts
  •  Shine On, Lurk Moar

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:42 PM

Inspired by that other guys thread, here's a slightly better one. This time the poll hasn't been fucked up by staff and admins (yet) and will make more sense.
I would've added Windows 3.1 and such, but I highly doubt the people who read this will actually have used anything older than Windows 2000. Windows ME and such are exempt from this poll because they suck festering dog balls, although I personally feel that Vista is the new ME.

Edited by {IP}Pasidon, 05 June 2009 - 02:51 AM.

Hostile is a cunt.

Thought I'd have that here to save time.

#2 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 30 May 2009 - 02:03 AM

Erm... nothing wrong with simple. But whatever.

Not sure what x64 and x86 is... guessing it's the resolutions. But once again going with PC / Vista. It's editable (Can disable the fluff) and it looks neat, so I prefer it. The new operating system coming out for PC looks slick though.

#3 Caspa

Caspa

title available

• Members
  • 938 posts
  •  Shine On, Lurk Moar

Posted 30 May 2009 - 02:15 AM

x86/x64 are the bit versions. Chances are, you're running a 32bit(x86) system, which is slower than 64bit(x64) systems and can only support upto 3.25GB of RAM whereas 64bit can (theoretically) support upto 1TB of RAM. You can find out which version you're running by right clicking "Computer" and clicking properties. It'll all be in there.
The new operating system, Windows 7, isn't too bad. It's basically a stripped down Vista. Less of the annoying shit that nobody likes and a fuckload faster. You should still be able to download the Windows 7 RC and a free, legal key direct from the Microsoft website.
Hostile is a cunt.

#4 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 30 May 2009 - 02:20 AM

I have a 32-bit :p

#5 Caspa

Caspa

title available

• Members
  • 938 posts
  •  Shine On, Lurk Moar

Posted 30 May 2009 - 02:28 AM

Then I have more RAM than you :p
Hostile is a cunt.

#6 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 30 May 2009 - 02:29 AM

But... there's no voting option :p

EDIT: I feel stupid now :sad:

Edited by mike_, 31 May 2009 - 07:47 PM.

#7 Caspa

Caspa

title available

• Members
  • 938 posts
  •  Shine On, Lurk Moar

Posted 30 May 2009 - 02:31 AM

Care to elaborate on that one?
Hostile is a cunt.

#8 jnengland77

jnengland77

Lurking Behind the Curtain

• Network Admins
  • 260 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Server Lord

Posted 30 May 2009 - 04:18 AM

x86/x64 are the bit versions. Chances are, you're running a 32bit(x86) system, which is slower than 64bit(x64) systems and can only support upto 3.25GB of RAM whereas 64bit can (theoretically) support upto 1TB of RAM.

First is only slightly true and in theory it's true. You'll probably only gain from processing larger files or large/lot of multimedia processing (e.g. manipulation, encoding, decoding). Otherwise they're about equal.

First one is true. 2^32 bytes = 4096 MB. But onboard video cards and sound take up a bit of system memory making it less. Depends on how much they take up. So only 3.25 to 3.75 GB can be used as memory. 64 bit systems have a theoretical max of 16.8 million terabytes. The newer processors from AMD only support 48 bit addresses so 256 TB.

#9 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  Greedy capitalist and cynical bastard.

Posted 30 May 2009 - 12:06 PM

XP all the way. Vista is slooow, annoying, very slow, and VERY annoying. The only benefit from Vista is that it's 'safer'. But 90% of the users just shut the defence down since it's soooo annoying having a pop-up ask every time 'Do you really want to do this?' 'Really? Chances are it's unsafe and you might get infected with viruses' with a normal download, and a couple more 'safety pop-ups' when you try to open that download.
It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#10 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 30 May 2009 - 01:12 PM

Sadly, I have Vista. I know it sucks, I just couldn't be fucked to change it. It was absolutely brand spanking new when I got this laptop, so nobody had any idea how many problems it would have. Now we know, but I am happy to wait until the next new laptop comes with a better OS.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#11 partyzanPaulZy

partyzanPaulZy

"quarawr!"

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Projects:Corruption Of Power - YR mod
  •  doing my mod alone till 1st release (then will see)

Posted 31 May 2009 - 12:04 AM

I have also Vista 32bit on this laptop, I look forward to Win 7 (now it's unfinished, so I won't download beta), because it's fixed improved Vista, if you have XP, you can stick with that, sometimes it's better than will be the 7, both are better (the 7 will be, XP is) than Vista.
The most annoying thing in Vista is when I have opened Acrobat Reader and it falls from some buffer thingy... the worst thing is when I work in Inkscape because of documentation for school project and it falls (and work isn't saved). Also Gimp or Firefox do these things (and Kubuntu doesn't work with my current wi-fi router encrypting, so it's screwed). It was like "Asta la Vista" fast and quality OS (with low anti-copying meassures) from MASSIVEsoft and HW companies (I mean those OEM Vistas and components working properly just with Vista drivers... at least in early stages).

The Windows OS is good on fun and some specialized programmes, Linux is good on work (there are some problems, like DirectX, and so, but for typing and drawing it's enough) or for servers.
Also Macs seems to be good on work, I have heard from one guy he's using XP on PowerMac laptop and it's really fast (well I am using this laptop with Vista and only CnC3 on highest details with some higher anti-aliasing was snoppy a bit, RA3 runs even faster (but RA3 gameplay is too sloooowww)).

Also university get us to learn Unix and Linux which have some really big differences from Windows, like text files using EOF, different '\n', processes can be zombified, etc. (these are problems when I try to test some programmes written for linux in Windows).

Not sure what x64 and x86 is... guessing it's the resolutions.

:p

Edited by partyzanPaulZy, 31 May 2009 - 12:04 AM.

Posted Image
"Soviet Union was a superpower and each superpower needs at least 1 war at 5 years to keep army in a good condition." ... my grandpa. USA create wars more frequently.

#12 segwayrulz

segwayrulz

title available

• Members
  • 788 posts
  • Projects:....

Posted 31 May 2009 - 08:42 AM

32 bit windows XP home edition for me :p

I remember having windows 95 (yep ive used computer's since I was 2-3 years old)

#13 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  Greedy capitalist and cynical bastard.

Posted 31 May 2009 - 11:32 AM

Same... My parents' earliest PC was a windows 95, after that an old 98, then XP, then another better PC with XP on it (even while Vista was released at the time... guess why I sticked with XP).

The laptop I have has Vista, though. When I bought it I was like 'surely, it can't be that bad', but yes, it can. The safety measures drove me nuts and I ended up shutting everything down because it slowed the laptop, and the pop-ups were just plain annoying. After a while I decided to go with XP instead, but I had trouble with the drivers which weren't really suitable with XP, sadly. So that forced me to go back to Vista.
It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#14 partyzanPaulZy

partyzanPaulZy

"quarawr!"

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Projects:Corruption Of Power - YR mod
  •  doing my mod alone till 1st release (then will see)

Posted 31 May 2009 - 07:27 PM

Now I remembered on one nice feature of Win 7 (nice on laptops): there is ability to turn down almost any component, USB connectors for example.
Posted Image
"Soviet Union was a superpower and each superpower needs at least 1 war at 5 years to keep army in a good condition." ... my grandpa. USA create wars more frequently.

#15 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 01 June 2009 - 04:37 AM

Safe, but isolated. It's like a Linux with no ports, be he he...

Once again PC wins 19 to nothing. I feel enlightened... yet again.

#16 Caspa

Caspa

title available

• Members
  • 938 posts
  •  Shine On, Lurk Moar

Posted 01 June 2009 - 12:13 PM

As normal, the PC shows to be the most popular. What bothers me is just how many of you are still stuck in the past with your x86 operating systems. Hurry up and upgrade to x64. Linux and XP have x64 flavours too, so you have no excuse for your pathetic 32bit systems.
Hostile is a cunt.

#17 Rattuskid

Rattuskid

I used to be somebody noteworthy... I think

• Members
  • 1,064 posts
  • Projects:Osmium (mostly dead), Immunizer (crib death) and Spritezkrieg (also crib death)
  •  Rattus Norvegicus (bitch)

Posted 01 June 2009 - 06:43 PM

I had both a commadore 64 at one point, and a windows 3.1 machine I used... old school.
Being a total douche.

#18 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:34 PM

Oh man... I remember Commodores. They couldn't even play Lemmings.

#19 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:00 AM

Linux and XP have x64 flavours too, so you have no excuse for your pathetic 32bit systems.

XP Pro x64 is a fucking joke of an operating system.

I'm probably the only left here who would still actively use Windows 98SE but I don't have a good home for it; that will change in the future. I'm still a sucker for 98SE since I used it for so long. I'm going to be attempting an Ubuntu/Win98SE dual boot. :p

Also, I still have a working Windows 95 box around somewhere. I play StarCraft on it. :crazed:

Next OS will be Win7 Pro x64. :)

Edited by Beowulf, 02 June 2009 - 07:01 AM.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#20 Rattuskid

Rattuskid

I used to be somebody noteworthy... I think

• Members
  • 1,064 posts
  • Projects:Osmium (mostly dead), Immunizer (crib death) and Spritezkrieg (also crib death)
  •  Rattus Norvegicus (bitch)

Posted 02 June 2009 - 10:29 PM

I got a decade old Win98SE machine in here.
Being a total douche.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users