Photo

It's not Funny!

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

Poll: The Fun Factor

Is Family Circus Funny?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Is King of the Hill Funny?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 01 June 2009 - 04:31 AM

My next "for the sake of argument" argument is arguing whether or not a few media items are funny or not. These things stay in our media, meaning some people find them funny. When I see what the fuss is about, I am forced to say, "That's not funny!" Hint the title of the topic... But I have two prime examples:

-The unlovable comic strip: Family Circus
-Animated white trash "comedy": King of the Hill

Both of these things I have seen many times... and I don't get either of them at all. I can't even force myself to find humor in them. Family Circus shows images of common life and empty, droll set-ups. Many comics have their bad moments, but this is a whole series of bad... bad moments.
Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image

These folks, are unfortionatly the funniest moments in Family Circus history.

My next case is King of the Hill. I watch rarely it just because I'm waiting for Family Guy to come on. But it mainly consists of unlikeable hicks that get into arguments like, "My lawn mower is better than yours" and the compelling, "Theres a foreign guy in the neighborhood" episodes.
Posted Image

It screams stubborn confederate pride, I know...

But if these cases don't give you enough kicks, give a few more examples. But argue the prime examples so I can have a case against them when the time comes. And remember... if you say yes in the polls, give a reason before we shoot you in the face.

#2 True Lord of Chaos

True Lord of Chaos

I have returned, mostly out of boredom.

• Members
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 05:34 AM

Another not-funny thing is Doonesbury. It's probably the worst comic in the page :p
Posted Image

Hello everyone. I am back.

#3 Casen

Casen

title available

• Members
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 06:55 AM

Oh my God I can not agree with you more on King of the Hill.

That show has -always- been unfunny. When it was on Fox in the 90's and I would watch Fox for the Simpsons, I'd have to sit through that dumb show. It's dull, I'd honestly rather fucking watch Family Guy, that's how much I think King of the Hill sucks.

Actually everything Mike Judge makes sucks, I even thought Beavis and Butthead sucked. I've heard some people say it's better than South Park...my fucking ass, at least South Park is clever.

Edited by Kacen, 01 June 2009 - 06:59 AM.

#4 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 01 June 2009 - 04:26 PM

King of the Hill isn't the zomg die of laughter type comedy but it's good for some chuckles; at least I've noticed it more in the older episodes that Adult Swim has been running. I find those quite amusing really. So yeah, I would say King of the Hill would be at least somewhat entertaining.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#5 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:31 PM

Yea Chaos, Dunesbury is just a lot of fancy slogans and terms thrown together to sound interesting. It used to be good... went down hill I say.

Bevis and Butthead wasn't that bad Kacen. It shows Mike judge can make some compelling characters and comedy. But I can't believe he went down 300% in style and went for King of the Hill.

Oh Wulf... I might agree with Boomhower and Dale being interesting characters, but the entire shows revolves around Hank, his annoying 1960's wife and his overweight retard of a kid who thinks he's clever. You might get a few laughs a season, but if most of the jokes die on you, then I find it hard to believe someone can still sum the whole series up as funny.

#6 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:46 PM

Beavis and Butthead was just retarded.

I love King of the Hill. But I suppose having a lot of the content be relevant to one's lifestyle makes it funny rather than a few disillusioned city folk.

In other news, holy cow someone doesn't like what's on TV.

#7 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:55 PM

You a southerner there Mike?

#8 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:59 PM

clue.jpg

#9 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:06 PM

You a southerner there Mike?

You're not too observant, are you?

NZ.org | BBPCG
Steam

#10 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:07 PM

Could still be born in the south.

Wait a minute... Mike... as in Mike Judge? Ah ha! That explains it.

#11 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:10 PM

Oh my. Since you haven't gotton it the last two times, YES! HE'S FROM THE FUCKING SOUTH!

......Really shouldn't feed the troll :p

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#12 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:29 PM

I got it Elf... geese.

#13 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  Greedy capitalist and cynical bastard.

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:18 PM

I've never heard or seen either of the two... From the looks of it, I'm glad I haven't.
It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#14 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:53 PM

Beavis and Butthead was just retarded.

I love King of the Hill. But I suppose having a lot of the content be relevant to one's lifestyle makes it funny rather than a few disillusioned city folk.

In other news, holy cow someone doesn't like what's on TV.

Fuck you, Beavis and Butthead was awesome.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#15 Spectre

Spectre

Rampant AI

• Hosted
  • 1,240 posts
  • Projects:Worldbuilding
  •  The Undead

Posted 01 June 2009 - 11:51 PM

I can't say I've ever really watched King of the Hill or read any Family Circus comics, so I'm just going to null vote this before going with any conclusions.

I don't see what's wrong with Beavis and Butthead, it's a good show.

#16 Rattuskid

Rattuskid

I used to be somebody noteworthy... I think

• Members
  • 1,064 posts
  • Projects:Osmium (mostly dead), Immunizer (crib death) and Spritezkrieg (also crib death)
  •  Rattus Norvegicus (bitch)

Posted 02 June 2009 - 04:08 AM

Family Guy is humor for autistics.

King of the Hill is more subtle, paced at a less stand-up-comedy tempo, but fucking brilliant in what it is. It has nothing to do with associating with hicks anymore than the Simpsons was about associating with idiotic lazy fatasses.
Being a total douche.

#17 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 02 June 2009 - 05:22 AM

It has nothing to do with associating with hicks anymore than the Simpsons was about associating with idiotic lazy fatasses.

Posted Image
Dear lord... take it back before you get stuck in Purgatory. But it really sounds like you've never seen an episode. You're blessed. But every episode deals with a white trash family in the real world... well the real world to Mike Judge. Not one funny joke comes from the mouth of the family this show revolves around. And I dare someone to prove that wrong... somehow.

And who voted yes on Family Circus!? Reveal yourself so I may throw insults in your general direction!

Edited by {IP}Pasidon, 02 June 2009 - 05:23 AM.

#18 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 02 June 2009 - 05:37 AM

Just because you don't get the jokes, doesn't mean it isn't funny.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Steam

#19 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 02 June 2009 - 05:55 AM

Now now Wulfy... I do get them. I get them very much. It is humorous to argue over the simple things in life, like whether propane is better than Charcoal or your son stinking in baseball. Family Guy could make the subjects better, no doubt, but the style of King of the Hill is nothing but dull to anyone with sense... and dull to those of us with a sense deficiency. You can't even like the main character. What's so lovable about Hank, a man who ran out of beer jokes 8 seasons ago and still does beer jokes most of his time? He gets insulted by the dumbest things like jeans. Yes... there was an entire episode that revolved around his hate for jeans. In the end, no-one learned anything, nothing was accomplished, and the only thing funny was the sub-plot with Dale and Boomhower that was about 5% of the entire episode.

And Family Circus... well I don't have to explain myself there, I really don't get it at all, and I'm afraid too.

#20 Casen

Casen

title available

• Members
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 06:08 AM

Family Guy is humor for autistics.

Quoted for truth.

Actually, thinking about it now, I actually -do- hate Family Guy more than King of the Hill...it just annoys me more.

Just because you don't get the jokes, doesn't mean it isn't funny.

No it's just unfunny. There are no "jokes" to get.

Edited by Kacen, 02 June 2009 - 06:09 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users