Photo

It's not Funny!

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

Poll: The Fun Factor

Is Family Circus Funny?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Is King of the Hill Funny?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 02 June 2009 - 06:31 AM

Not everything needs to be hiply cynical or offensive to be entertaining. You seem to forget that older folks tend to enjoy shows like King of the Hill over, say, Family Guy or South Park. Nothing runs for as many seasons as King of the Hill without viewership so someone is watching.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#22 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:14 AM

While i dont watch king of the hill, cause its not on(same reason i dont watch family guy. I dont have foxtel, and i cant be bothered staying up late on school days to watch them at mid-night even when they are on. I like my beauty sleep), i admit its good for a chuckle. Just cause its not over the top hilarious doesn't mean it sucks.

I think, like beo is saying, it requires more maturity to appreciate.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image

#23 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 02 June 2009 - 08:21 AM

That show has -always- been unfunny. When it was on Fox in the 90's and I would watch Fox for the Simpsons, I'd have to sit through that dumb show. It's dull, I'd honestly rather fucking watch Family Guy, that's how much I think King of the Hill sucks.

Why not just turn the TV on half an hour later?

Actually everything Mike Judge makes sucks, I even thought Beavis and Butthead sucked. I've heard some people say it's better than South Park...my fucking ass, at least South Park is clever.

Wait. You're willing to watch South Park toilet humour that is completely schizophrenically put across, yet you don't like Beavis and Butt-head toilet humour or Family Guy schizophrenicity?

Family Guy is humor for autistics.

Quoted For Lies. (See what I did there? :) )

I've never seen King of the Hill, but it does look a bit hick-ish. Every mini-clip I've seen of it has the main guy drawl something stupid or pointless. The clips certainly haven't enticed me to watch it.

#24 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 02 June 2009 - 08:34 AM

Once again, Ash has summed up my feelings rather nicely. I voted 'No' for both.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#25 segwayrulz

segwayrulz

title available

• Members
  • 788 posts
  • Projects:....

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:43 AM

king of the hill isnt funny when compared to the likes of family guy and south park.
and family circus is just plain stupid

#26 Copaman

Copaman

Ryan

• Project Team
  • 2,144 posts
  • Projects:Winning.
  •  Slowly becoming a Veteran

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:43 PM

King of the Hill > Family Guy.

KotH is only funny when you understand the humor; having grown up in the south for a solid 6 years, I get it.

Family Circus is trash.

Posted Image

If you meet me:

Have some courtesy,

Have some sympathy,

And some taste.

Use all your well-learned politesse,

Or I'll lay your soul to waste.

#27 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 02 June 2009 - 01:44 PM

Thank you, Copa :)

Yeah. Family Circus has been around for a long time because it's what many people do like to read - simple, chuckle-worth one-shots of humour. Nothing more. Nothing less.

As for Family Guy and South Park - ugh. I can't even watch the newer episodes. They shamble from one pointless, random attempt at a joke to the next, and it's just... well, I've already said retarded. Ugh. Family Guy has degenerated into 'everybody screw whatever we can get our hands on'. It's a mismatched collaboration of poorly-set-up celebrity/sex/political jokes. South Park is just terrible as a rule, barring the Imaginationland and Manbearpig episodes. I won't even comment on American Dad.

Give me The Office (American) instead.

#28 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 02 June 2009 - 04:01 PM

The American Office? Bah, I much prefer the original version.
I voted 'no' for both, but must you look down on autistics in your comparisons? It's by no means the first time I've seen it on this forum, and I doubt it'll be the last. It's very intolerant and doesn't reinforce your argument/whatever the fuck you just said. It does quite the reverse.

#29 Abrams Tank

Abrams Tank

The Swordsman

• Members
  • 105 posts
  • Projects:Life (even though it sucks now)
  •  nothing fancy

Posted 02 June 2009 - 08:14 PM

the show I hate the most is Aqua teen hungerforce.

I voted 'no' for both, but must you look down on autistics in your comparisons? It's by no means the first time I've seen it on this forum, and I doubt it'll be the last. It's very intolerant and doesn't reinforce your argument/whatever the fuck you just said. It does quite the reverse.

It will not be the last time cause I am now offended by Rattuskid. :wink_new: Family guy is definitly not humor for autisics, they make fun of them and treat them like shit more than more than anything else combined, I stopped watching that stupid show for a long time. :good:

REBEL_SOLDIER_LAUGHING.gif"you want to leave when!?"

#30 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 02 June 2009 - 08:16 PM

Autists, not autistics.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#31 Spectre

Spectre

Rampant AI

• Hosted
  • 1,240 posts
  • Projects:Worldbuilding
  •  The Undead

Posted 02 June 2009 - 10:35 PM

Attached Thumbnails

• boobies.jpg

#32 True Lord of Chaos

True Lord of Chaos

I have returned, mostly out of boredom.

• Members
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:51 PM

Nice job, Durandel, nice job. Way to keep the topic going :wink_new:

Hello everyone. I am back.

#33 Rattuskid

Rattuskid

I used to be somebody noteworthy... I think

• Members
  • 1,064 posts
  • Projects:Osmium (mostly dead), Immunizer (crib death) and Spritezkrieg (also crib death)
  •  Rattus Norvegicus (bitch)

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:30 AM

King of the Hill isn't all lolhicks kind of humor. Not all of it. Apart from living in Texas, actually, Bobby is just about as unhick as they come. This is actually a great source of good material for the show. I don't think the earlier episodes were as funny as the later ones, since they tended to lean on catchphrases, a lot like the early Simpsons... but they got better.

For comparison, just look at the episode introducing Cotton Hill versus the one where they have to escape from Mexico.

Autists, not autistics.

I was actually going to say asspies, because I think you could sit a real autistic person down infront of anything, by defintion. Family Guy is just humor from one ADHD suffering prick, which can be legitimately funny, but only when it's recycling old Simpson's humor. Otherwise, it's hey, a horse is peeing on the floor, the baby wants to take over the world and let's flash back to some pop culture reference.

It's a godsend to writers who would love to do a stand-up about that funny thing they noticed in the movies, or on TV or in music that hasn't be relevant in 20 years.

Quoted For Lies.

Hi, I'm new here and I think I may have misplaced my dick somewhere around here. If you find it, could you kindly use it to stuff your pompous maw? Thanks!

I mean, different strokes for different folks, but this is the internet. Everyone who doesn't think like me should die from getting napalmed in a stink-bomb factory... with Herpes.

Edited by Rattuskid, 03 June 2009 - 12:33 AM.

Being a total douche.

#34 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:35 AM

King of the Hill can be clever as hell sometimes, too. Pretty much anything done or said by Mr. Strickland or Cotton Hill is comic gold in my book.

#35 Spectre

Spectre

Rampant AI

• Hosted
  • 1,240 posts
  •  The Undead

Posted 03 June 2009 - 01:42 AM

I mean, different strokes for different folks, but this is the internet. Everyone who doesn't think like me should die from getting napalmed in a stink-bomb factory... with Herpes.

Good job poorly establishing your horrible sense of humour.

#36 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 03 June 2009 - 01:58 AM

Here:

Introductions section:

Enough, this topic is off-topic enough now. Just, stop posting. It's pointless :good:

The only "nice job" I'm seeing here is the terrific double standard over off-topicness.

Back on topic...

I've seen a couple Family Circus comics that made me grin, but on the whole I agree with the cheap humor part. I've never watched King of the Hill or Family Guy, so I can't judge if they're funny or not. I just voted null for that one.
BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#37 Rattuskid

Rattuskid

I used to be somebody noteworthy... I think

• Members
  • 1,064 posts
  • Projects:Osmium (mostly dead), Immunizer (crib death) and Spritezkrieg (also crib death)
  •  Rattus Norvegicus (bitch)

Posted 03 June 2009 - 02:50 AM

Get raped to death by squids with blenders.
Being a total douche.

#38 Spectre

Spectre

Rampant AI

• Hosted
  • 1,240 posts
  •  The Undead

Posted 03 June 2009 - 02:57 AM

Get raped to death by squids with blenders.

Success.

#39 True Lord of Chaos

True Lord of Chaos

I have returned, mostly out of boredom.

• Members
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 03:28 AM

Here:

Introductions section:

Enough, this topic is off-topic enough now. Just, stop posting. It's pointless :good:

The only "nice job" I'm seeing here is the terrific double standard over off-topicness.

Eh, IRS, this is a topic about funny and not-funny things. That picture, was funny, and about funny things, so therefore, it was ontopic. Get over yourself, acting like this won't get you to be a staff. Sometimes I wonder why I was asked to be staff, but oh well :p

Hello everyone. I am back.

#40 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 03:30 AM

Don't let the cancer spread, man. We managed to contain it for the time being. Don't encourage further growth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users