Jump to content


Photo

Morale


  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Poll: Morale

Should this system be implemented?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Hasfusel

Hasfusel

    title available

  • Members
  • 425 posts
  • Location:England

Posted 05 June 2009 - 11:51 AM

This is my idea that killing or keeping heroes alive is vital to victory in a battle, as losing a hero will demoralise nearby units and killing an enemy hero rallies nearby units, with the opposite effects happening on your enemy.
A Super Hero is a hero whom your army holds in awe because of their immense strength and power, and their deaths would seriously shake your men. A Leader Hero is one of the charismatic leaders of your faction, and their deaths would cause your men to rally with anger and go berserk on nearby enemies. There is always a small chance of the opposite effect, though. Here is the details:

Normal Heroes- (all heroes not mentioned below)
Impact of death on surrounding units of own faction- 80% chances of debuff (weakened armor, speed and damage for about 10-15 seconds).
Impact of death on surrounding units of killer's faction- 100% chances of small rally (small boost to armor, speed, damage for about 10-15 seconds)

Super Heroes (Gandalf, Aragorn, Saruman, Sauron, Drogoth, Witch-King, Galadriel, Roméstamo, Morihentar, Radagast, Beorn, Glorfindel, Círdan)
Impact of death on surrounding units of own faction- 75% chances of massive debuff (greatly weakened armor, speed and damage for about 10-15 seconds) and flee/cower in fear, 25% chances of avenging rage (great boost to armor, speed, damage and go uncontrollably berserk on surrounding enemies for about 10-15 seconds)
Impact of death on surrounding units of killer's faction- 100% chances of massive rally (great boost to armor, speed, damage for about 10-15 seconds)

Leader Heroes- (Boromir, Faramir, Theoden, Eomer, Imrahil, Goblin King, Lurtz, Gothmog, Treebeard, Haldir, Elrond, Mahud Chief, Easterling Captain, Arveleg, Argeleb, Arvedui)
Impact of death on surrounding units of own faction- 75% chances of avenging rage (great boost to armor, speed, damage and go uncontrollably berserk on surrounding enemies for about 10-15 seconds), 25% chances of debuff (weakened armor, speed and damage for about 10-15 seconds).
Impact of death on surrounding units of killer's faction- 100% chances of good rally (good boost to armor, speed, damage for about 10-15 seconds)

What do you think? Neat addition to the mod's realism?

Edited by Hasfusel, 05 June 2009 - 11:53 AM.


#2 Excuse_me_princess

Excuse_me_princess
  • Members
  • 146 posts
  • Location:Holland
  • Projects:Black knightism
  •  Fanboy, maker of suggestions

Posted 05 June 2009 - 02:37 PM

:shiftee2: FIRST! :)


I Like it and it should be possible to create, but You'll have to change the script of every hero I think.

Edited by Yoda_, 05 June 2009 - 06:18 PM.

Posted Image

"Is that all there is? ... no challenge? ... no resistance?"

"Fear...fear is the mind killer!"

"Don't see it as an obstacle, see it as an chalange!"

#3 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

    Polis Ranger

  • Advisors
  • 3,829 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 05 June 2009 - 03:14 PM

Holy double post Batman!

I think it's a rather good idea. And I'm fairly sure it wouldnn't be that hard to implement, time-consuming perhaps, but not too terribly hard.

elvenlordbanner.jpg
 


#4 Devon

Devon

    Dark Nerd of the Sith

  • Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  • Location:Colbert Nation
  • Projects:RJ RotWK, Twilight of the Republic, HDLH
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 05 June 2009 - 06:19 PM

What elven said. Time consuming, but not terrible hard. Also not that important though...

yodasig2.png
My political compass
There's a story that the grass is so green...what did I see? Where have I been?


#5 Florisz

Florisz

    The Young Reindeer

  • Project Team
  • 2,322 posts
  • Location:The Netherlands

Posted 05 June 2009 - 06:46 PM

I like this! :shiftee2: But, I think Elrond should be a Super Hero, because, if the Elves would have lost him, they would have lost one of the most powerfull Elves, like, you know, EVER. Yeah, maybe not ever but end Third Age and stuff...

Edit: What also would be cool, if it can be done, is to hear the horn of the faction that killed the Hero, and you hear it on the entire map. For example, Isengards kills a Gondorian Hero, every player hears the horn of Isengard, so they know the Isengard player killed a Hero. If the Elves kill a Goblin or Mordor Hero, you hear the Elves' horn.
I hope that would work and isn't too hard...

Edited by Florisz, 05 June 2009 - 06:50 PM.

Posted Image

#6 Ring o' Fate

Ring o' Fate

    The Ghost.

  • Project Team
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location:PA
  • Projects:Trying to find meaning...
  •  The guy that is just a ghost.

Posted 06 June 2009 - 12:23 AM

....I know Ithilien will say this later, but I'll say it now anyways.
BEORN IS DEAD BEFORE THE WAR OF THE RING FOR GOD DAMN SAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Only minus the for god damn sake part. :shiftee2:
A changed man is only the same man with a different outlook of life.

#7 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

    Non Sequitur

  • Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Location:Classified.
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 06 June 2009 - 01:57 AM

At least Hasfusel will yell at you now.

While we're on that subject, Azog needs a name change. :p
BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#8 Rafv Nin IV

Rafv Nin IV

    Vermin of Revora

  • Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • Projects:RPG Frontier

Posted 06 June 2009 - 02:11 AM

I don't particularly like this, actually. I think that BFME already focuses too much on heroes that change the tide of battle unrealistically. For instance, Aragorn was a great warrior, but there's no way that at level two he ought to be able to solo a fortress. Boromir was a great fighter, but not such that his presence paralyzed entire armies. While I like having hero units with special skills, I don't think that they should be the focus of the game.

Posted Image


#9 Scryer

Scryer

    title available

  • Project Team
  • 565 posts
  • Location:Canada

Posted 06 June 2009 - 05:05 AM

I don't particularly like this, actually. I think that BFME already focuses too much on heroes that change the tide of battle unrealistically. For instance, Aragorn was a great warrior, but there's no way that at level two he ought to be able to solo a fortress. Boromir was a great fighter, but not such that his presence paralyzed entire armies. While I like having hero units with special skills, I don't think that they should be the focus of the game.


Same :p .
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 Ring o' Fate

Ring o' Fate

    The Ghost.

  • Project Team
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location:PA
  • Projects:Trying to find meaning...
  •  The guy that is just a ghost.

Posted 06 June 2009 - 06:37 AM

I don't particularly like this, actually. I think that BFME already focuses too much on heroes that change the tide of battle unrealistically. For instance, Aragorn was a great warrior, but there's no way that at level two he ought to be able to solo a fortress. Boromir was a great fighter, but not such that his presence paralyzed entire armies. While I like having hero units with special skills, I don't think that they should be the focus of the game.


Same :p .

Ditto.
A changed man is only the same man with a different outlook of life.

#11 Excuse_me_princess

Excuse_me_princess
  • Members
  • 146 posts
  • Location:Holland
  • Projects:Black knightism
  •  Fanboy, maker of suggestions

Posted 06 June 2009 - 07:42 AM

I like this! :p But, I think Elrond should be a Super Hero, because, if the Elves would have lost him, they would have lost one of the most powerfull Elves, like, you know, EVER. Yeah, maybe not ever but end Third Age and stuff...

Edit: What also would be cool, if it can be done, is to hear the horn of the faction that killed the Hero, and you hear it on the entire map. For example, Isengards kills a Gondorian Hero, every player hears the horn of Isengard, so they know the Isengard player killed a Hero. If the Elves kill a Goblin or Mordor Hero, you hear the Elves' horn.
I hope that would work and isn't too hard...


Nice!
It's only cosmetic... but worth a try!
Posted Image

"Is that all there is? ... no challenge? ... no resistance?"

"Fear...fear is the mind killer!"

"Don't see it as an obstacle, see it as an chalange!"

#12 Florisz

Florisz

    The Young Reindeer

  • Project Team
  • 2,322 posts
  • Location:The Netherlands

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:16 AM

The new Leadership ring things are also only cosmetic, right? And that turned out very cool...
Posted Image

#13 Dalf32

Dalf32

    The Ever-Willing

  • Project Team
  • 1,923 posts
  • Location:right behind you!
  • Projects:Beta Testing RJ-RotWK

Posted 06 June 2009 - 09:07 PM

well no actually, the rings are there to limit the leadership fx going at once because that was seen to be a cause of lag. but still, they did turn out well :p

"A wizard is never late, nor is he early; he arrives precisely when he means to."

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image


#14 Excuse_me_princess

Excuse_me_princess
  • Members
  • 146 posts
  • Location:Holland
  • Projects:Black knightism
  •  Fanboy, maker of suggestions

Posted 07 June 2009 - 12:54 PM

I should give every hero a different sound or text that will be heard when he/she is defeated.
Although I think that a horn is appropriate for most of the heroes, I like to hear "Wormtongue's dead, somebody clean him up!" when old Grima dies, it seams more fitting as he probably didn't have much respect among the Uruks.
Posted Image

"Is that all there is? ... no challenge? ... no resistance?"

"Fear...fear is the mind killer!"

"Don't see it as an obstacle, see it as an chalange!"

#15 Florisz

Florisz

    The Young Reindeer

  • Project Team
  • 2,322 posts
  • Location:The Netherlands

Posted 07 June 2009 - 02:30 PM

Yeah, that'd be cool to hear on the entire map! Elrond dies, and all players hear "Lord Elrond has fallen!", or "They've shot down the Dragon Lord!"
Posted Image

#16 Devon

Devon

    Dark Nerd of the Sith

  • Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  • Location:Colbert Nation
  • Projects:RJ RotWK, Twilight of the Republic, HDLH
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 07 June 2009 - 03:13 PM

Those things would be firing every five minutes and would get very annoying.

yodasig2.png
My political compass
There's a story that the grass is so green...what did I see? Where have I been?


#17 Hasfusel

Hasfusel

    title available

  • Members
  • 425 posts
  • Location:England

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:43 AM

Perhaps...

This Morale idea is just a realism detail that reflects historical battles. Armies would rally around the fall of an enemy general, and break at the fall of their own. The buffs and debuffs aren't so massive that they severely affect gameplay. It doesn't make the game focus around heroes, it just adds a bit of realism to the battles, most of which don't involve heroes anyway. The sound of a horn ringing... well, that could get irritating, and I don't think there's a horn noise for most of the vanilla factions let alone the new ones. And an exclamation that would be heard by everyone... Only in the cases of Super-Heroes, otherwise as Yoda said it would piss you off every five minutes.
While this might take a little time to implement, I think it would be a cool, fun, unique feature to add to the mod and that new players of the mod would love it, while adding to the strategic and tactical depth of the game.





If you can't think of any other reason to like this idea, think of it as a 1-Up against those bastards at the S.E.E. mod.

Edited by Hasfusel, 09 June 2009 - 08:43 AM.


#18 Excuse_me_princess

Excuse_me_princess
  • Members
  • 146 posts
  • Location:Holland
  • Projects:Black knightism
  •  Fanboy, maker of suggestions

Posted 09 June 2009 - 02:08 PM

Yeah, that'd be cool to hear on the entire map! Elrond dies, and all players hear "Lord Elrond has fallen!", or "They've shot down the Dragon Lord!"


Ehm... that is already to be heard on the entire map...

(or was that only in the 360 version? Now I'm confused, I have to check)
Posted Image

"Is that all there is? ... no challenge? ... no resistance?"

"Fear...fear is the mind killer!"

"Don't see it as an obstacle, see it as an chalange!"

#19 Florisz

Florisz

    The Young Reindeer

  • Project Team
  • 2,322 posts
  • Location:The Netherlands

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:27 PM

Those things would be firing every five minutes and would get very annoying.


No, it would be awesome.

And EmP, that's not on the PC, so could be 360...
Posted Image

#20 Dalf32

Dalf32

    The Ever-Willing

  • Project Team
  • 1,923 posts
  • Location:right behind you!
  • Projects:Beta Testing RJ-RotWK

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:50 PM

you only hear it when one of your own heros dies, not when someone else's does.

"A wizard is never late, nor is he early; he arrives precisely when he means to."

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users