Spectre

Rampant AI

• Hosted
  • 1,240 posts
  • Projects:Worldbuilding
  •  The Undead

Posted 11 June 2009 - 02:55 AM

http://www.slate.com...9224/?gt1=38001

I don't know any other way to say this without sounding like a nut from PETA, but I'm completely against this, just read the quote.

First, Ivan Pavlov would sever a dog's esophagus and sew the loose ends to its throat, leaving a pair of adjacent holes that connected, by separate passages, to its mouth and stomach. Then he'd slice through the dog's abdomen, carve a hole in the wall of its stomach, and stitch open another permanent wound.

The dog, left hungry from the night before, would be harnessed to a wooden stand and presented with a bowl of raw meat. No matter how much it ate, it never got full—the dog chewed and swallowed, but the masticated meat would erupt from its esophageal opening and dribble back into the bowl, whereupon the dog would lap it up all over again. In the meantime, a glass tube attached to the animal's stomach opening allowed its gastric secretions to drip into a collecting bottle, so they could be filtered, analyzed, and sold to the public as a remedy for dyspepsia.

All performed on a live and probably healthy Dog, this is absolutely Inhumane and should not be allowed. I don't give a flying fuck if we're the most advanced and mightiest on the Earth, torturing animals in this way is absolutely uncalled for. We're like them mostly, we live, we eat, we survive. Read it all, or skim the good parts, I don't care.These procedures should be done on dead subjects, taking live healthy subjects and abusing them so is just not worth it.

Please note that although I do not agree with such treatment, I do think that Medical Science needs to be allowed to use animals for research, but not living/healthy ones.

Discuss.

Edited by Durandel, 11 June 2009 - 02:56 AM.

#2 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 11 June 2009 - 06:06 AM

Do that to Ivan whatever his name is. See how he likes it.

When i hear about stuff like this it just burns me up. Makes me hope there really is a hell, just so people like that can rot...

Fucking dick head.
(calling them that just feels so inadiquate for how i feel about monsters who do that sort of stuff)

Edited by some_weirdGuy, 11 June 2009 - 06:08 AM.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 11 June 2009 - 06:12 AM

That's just sick. Spend the time and money to find a treatment that doesn't require the suffering of others for every bottle.

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#4 segwayrulz

segwayrulz

title available

• Members
  • 788 posts
  • Projects:....

Posted 11 June 2009 - 06:51 AM

Ivan whatsisname should have his skin slowly peeled off as he is lowered into a vat of boiling magma

#5 Rattuskid

Rattuskid

I used to be somebody noteworthy... I think

• Members
  • 1,064 posts
  • Projects:Osmium (mostly dead), Immunizer (crib death) and Spritezkrieg (also crib death)
  •  Rattus Norvegicus (bitch)

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:44 AM

Um... he's dead already. It's Pavlov from Pavlov's dogs. Also, for fuck's sake this was back in the 60s when we used to napalm civilians and sick dogs on civil rights protests. Shit was fucked up back then.

But nevermind reality, and that this kind of stuff isn't being done now... no, just go ahead with your internet rage.
Being a total douche.

#6 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 11 June 2009 - 09:02 AM

Have you guys really not heard of Pavlov's dogs? It's a whole massive thing, renowned across the world. The experiment that made him famous was to do with conditioning. He trained his dogs to salivate when he rang a bell by ringing the bell before he gave them food. They got used to it and salivated when he rang the bell and didn't give food, because their bodies had come to expect it. If you want to be really outraged about something, look at some of the experiments done to the inmates of concentration camps. They were human, too.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#7 Spectre

Spectre

Rampant AI

• Hosted
  • 1,240 posts
  •  The Undead

Posted 11 June 2009 - 07:00 PM

Have you guys really not heard of Pavlov's dogs? It's a whole massive thing, renowned across the world. The experiment that made him famous was to do with conditioning. He trained his dogs to salivate when he rang a bell by ringing the bell before he gave them food. They got used to it and salivated when he rang the bell and didn't give food, because their bodies had come to expect it. If you want to be really outraged about something, look at some of the experiments done to the inmates of concentration camps. They were human, too.

Like that episode on the suspects for terrorism getting tortured physically and mentally at I think was a POW camp/prison? I have a fight to pick with them to, I just don't have an article on it... Yet. :p

Edited by Durandel, 11 June 2009 - 07:02 PM.

#8 Rafv Nin IV

Rafv Nin IV

Vermin of Revora

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • Projects:RPG Frontier

Posted 11 June 2009 - 11:42 PM

While this is hardly ethical, it doesn't really compare to performing medical experiments on live Jews or dropping fire-bombs on Tokyo and burning eighty-thousand people to death.

Posted Image

#9 Spectre

Spectre

Rampant AI

• Hosted
  • 1,240 posts
  •  The Undead

Posted 12 June 2009 - 03:34 AM

While this is hardly ethical, it doesn't really compare to performing medical experiments on live Jews or dropping fire-bombs on Tokyo and burning eighty-thousand people to death.

I'll get to those... Eventually.

#10 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 12 June 2009 - 04:05 AM

Every time a bell rings, Pavlov makes an angel cry by making it watch his dog meta-digest a piece of beef.

I've once heard this, but I was skeptical weather it was true or not. He got some neat test results well placed in the Scientific Encyclopedia, dunno it was from this specific experiment. So I don't judge the method.

#11 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:28 AM

The ends don't justify the means.

#12 segwayrulz

segwayrulz

title available

• Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 01:20 PM

look at some of the experiments done to the inmates of concentration camps. They were human, too.

Animal Cruelty is worse than human cruelty, i have to admit we are a superior species in intelligence but as for respectability and survivability were among the most useless on this earth. Humans can defend themselves, but as for an animal our smarts and technology make us superior so its an unfair advantage and act to be cruel to them.

#13 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 12 June 2009 - 01:23 PM

So, humans are never defenseless? I see.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#14 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 01:25 PM

You ever hear of the food chain? It applies to all walks of life, not just eating. We can kill animals, we have the means to perform tests on them, and they aren't in a position to fight back. I really don't see the problem with animal testing. Would you rather all this shit got tested on you?

Hey Segway, you know what happens when an animal is disfigured or made ill in a test? They kill it. Put it down, take it out of its misery, fucking blow its brains out. You know what would happen if the same thing happened to a human in a test? Lawsuits. Business gets shut down, people get fired, the company can't afford, or more likely just don't want to pay the test subject the millions he's demanding for their having ruined his life, and everything goes to shit. Is that what you want? A big steaming pile of shit for everyone to look at?
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#15 segwayrulz

segwayrulz

title available

• Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 01:41 PM

I'm just saying that if that happened to a person, I would be lest disgusted than if it was a dog or another animal.

#16 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 12 June 2009 - 01:48 PM

I'm just saying that if that happened to a person, I would be lest disgusted than if it was a dog or another animal.

Warped priorities, me thinks. You'd have to be a bigoted-misanthrope to believe in this.

#17 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 12 June 2009 - 02:22 PM

........Wait, why is it better for a member of your own species to suffer as opposed to an animal?

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#18 segwayrulz

segwayrulz

title available

• Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 02:28 PM

yes, because my species is destroying the earth, and also alot of the members of my species are useless

#19 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 02:49 PM

Or because you're a furry and thus prefer animals?

#20 Rafv Nin IV

Rafv Nin IV

Vermin of Revora

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • Projects:RPG Frontier

Posted 12 June 2009 - 03:19 PM

*whisper* Don't mention that! *whisper*

I've already stated my opinion. I see no problem with many of Pavlov's experiments, such as the aforementioned training dogs to salivate by ringing a bell. While it certainly isn't nice for Michael Vick to electrocute dogs, it also isn't nice for me to dangle a large hook with shad on it for an eight-foot sturgeon to swallow whole, and then yard a several hundred pound fish to the surface with just that hook in its mouth. I still do it. Bull-fighting isn't nice. I'd still watch a bull-fight if I got the chance.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users