#401 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 10 September 2009 - 10:02 AM

Updated. Apologies - I overestimated. We still make bigger, much more fuel-efficient engines tho. Even the latest Audi S8 with a 5.2litre V10 can make the same fuel efficiency as Fen's jeep, and blatantly go about twice as fast.

As for mercs:

2004 CLS Class - 5 litre V8, pushes 34MPG.
S-Class W221. Regular petrol engines range 4.7 to 5.5 litre V8s, all shove around 32.4MPG, although you can get a hybrid engine that does 43.6MPG. The C-Class C250 has a 3.5 litre V6 (still not to be sniffed at) that makes 46mpg. That's not even a fucking hybrid car, and it's sipping!

#402 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 10 September 2009 - 10:45 AM

And if we're going to talk about style, Europe kicks the shit out of America. Let's see how many stylish European car manufacturers there are: Ferrari, Alfa Romeo, Aston Martin, Jaguar, Porsche, Lamborghini, Rolls Royce (hell to the yeah), Bentley, Lotus, TVR, then the less stylish, but still good, folks: Mercedes, Audi (sorry Ash), BMW, etc. All European. Americans have got Dodge, Chrysler, Chevrolet and GM, except that we also have GM, under the name Vauxhall or Opel, so no points there.

It should be noted that I am completely ignoring the issues of fuel economy and Japanese cars as a whole.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#403 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 10 September 2009 - 04:33 PM

I'm not a fan of puttering at 46 MPH on the Interstate.

Contrary to popular belief, exaggeration has just emphasized how weak your argument is, and has not reinforced it.

Edited by Puppeteer, 10 September 2009 - 04:33 PM.

#404 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 10 September 2009 - 06:07 PM

Updated. Apologies - I overestimated. We still make bigger, much more fuel-efficient engines tho. Even the latest Audi S8 with a 5.2litre V10 can make the same fuel efficiency as Fen's jeep, and blatantly go about twice as fast.

As for mercs:

2004 CLS Class - 5 litre V8, pushes 34MPG.
S-Class W221. Regular petrol engines range 4.7 to 5.5 litre V8s, all shove around 32.4MPG, although you can get a hybrid engine that does 43.6MPG. The C-Class C250 has a 3.5 litre V6 (still not to be sniffed at) that makes 46mpg. That's not even a fucking hybrid car, and it's sipping!

I have to ask though, are these just estimates or actual real life numbers? I get the feeling that none of these values even ring close to reality, but instead just numbers based on ideal conditions like our EPA MPG estimates. Whoever puts together the values is likely using a similar setup and these values, while true, do not represent the truth. In all likelihood, your cars are probably averaging a smidge higher but still not punching out these ranges. The more HP you output, the lower the MPG will be. Period.

I realize a V8 can be efficient but not that efficient, and especially not a V10. Efficiency with fuel combustion can only go so far.

But also remember I drive a 1997, not a 2009. There's a big difference between my Power Tech I6 and the engine the Audi uses, which I can't find the name for. There's a 13 year difference between each engine. Naturally it could potentially produce the same numbers. And if you can't figure out where the 13 years comes from, god help us all.

And I still don't care if you rag on what I drive. It's still more awesome than the average, economy Eurocar.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#405 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 10 September 2009 - 06:13 PM

No, those numbers are actual free-road driving (none of this stop-start urban shit that uses up more fuel). They wouldn't be allowed to post them on their website or on review websites if they weren't.

Even in a heavy headwind and at full throttle, those cars would still beat your fuel consumption soundly. And we've established soundly (and empirically) that you prefer your car only for personal reasons, not because of any actual material superiority on its part. :thumbsupsmiley:

#406 Ring o' Fate

Ring o' Fate

The Ghost.

• Project Team
  • 1,627 posts
  • Projects:Trying to find meaning...
  •  The guy that is just a ghost.

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:31 PM

Americans are stupid. But hell, wasn't EVERY OTHER country like that when the country came to be? If you think in terms of history, America wasn't around that long. Give us a good thousand years and as I said, we will be all smart like Europeans. :thumbsupsmiley:

I posted that, then thought: "That would be great in the US vs Eruo topic". :grin:
And warning: My "Conspiracy theoryness" kicks in NOW!
The whole gas mileage thing is bullshit. OPEC pays the car companies to NOT IMPROVE CAR MILEAGE. People have made CARBURETORS that give a car 60 mpg. 60. But when they try to take it into the market, the car companies or OPEC tries to bribe them into not putting it up for market. Those that refuse mysteriously "VANISH" or pop up dead. Hmmmmmmm.....
Conspiracy Theoryness over.
A changed man is only the same man with a different outlook of life.

#407 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  • Projects:RJ RotWK, Twilight of the Republic, HDLH
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Job:Global Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:48 PM

Ringy, no, just no. The only thing that's stupid is you generalizing entire countries that way. The US was not stupid when it was founded, and neither were other countries that existed back then. While the average redneck you find here might not set any IQ requires, saying that the country on a whole is stupid is just plain ridiculous.

We don't officially belong to Europe but still:

Europe is your continent, regardless of any union or military relations :thumbsupsmiley:

Technically speaking Europe is your subcontinent, regardless of any ego-centric delusions you might have :grin:

yodasig2.png
My political compass
There's a story that the grass is so green...what did I see? Where have I been?

#408 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:50 PM

No, those numbers are actual free-road driving (none of this stop-start urban shit that uses up more fuel). They wouldn't be allowed to post them on their website or on review websites if they weren't.

Like I said. These aren't really all that accurate since they're still favorable conditions. What do those giant V10s get when pitted against my driving conditions? I'd put money down that they would fare equal, or maybe lower, than my SUV. I read Consumer Reports and they do real world testing - urban driving and Interstate. Then base a good number off the average. Hence why we seem to show lower numbers than you do.

Even in a heavy headwind and at full throttle, those cars would still beat your fuel consumption soundly. And we've established soundly (and empirically) that you prefer your car only for personal reasons, not because of any actual material superiority on its part. :thumbsupsmiley:

Meh. So what? I can tow more weight than you can so take that. :grin:

NZ.org | BBPCG
Steam

#409 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:05 PM

Technically speaking Europe is your subcontinent, regardless of any ego-centric delusions you might have

Wrong. Iberia is a subcontinent. Scandinavia is a subcontinent. Europe is a continent.
Eurasia isn't a continent. Geographically or culturally, there are obvious divisions to form the separate continents of Europe and Asia.

#410 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Donated

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:18 PM

Europe is considered a continent because of its political status only. Since 2play was speaking geographically, Europe is a subcontinent, along with India, Greenland, and the Middle East.

yodasig2.png
My political compass

#411 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:21 PM

And why, geographically? Because there's no clear division between Asia and Europe? It's the same for North and South America. And Africa. And Oceania. Geographically, it has the same justification.

#412 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:26 PM

Europe is considered a continent because of its political status only. Since 2play was speaking geographically, Europe is a subcontinent, along with India, Greenland, and the Middle East.

Err, no. Europe is a continent. Not every European country is in the EU, if that's what you're referring to.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#413 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Donated

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:32 PM

Posted ImagePosted Image

I dunno puppet, to me the division looks pretty clear in one of them...

yodasig2.png
My political compass

#414 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:50 PM

Yoda, man, Europe is a continent. It just is. There are genuine geographical barriers to say where Europe stops. The Ural mountains, the Black Sea, the Mediterranean, the Atlantic, the Arctic. They're all pretty conclusively real.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#415 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux

Posted 10 September 2009 - 10:05 PM

I dunno puppet, to me the division looks pretty clear in one of them...

So you're basing your judgement on classification of continents on subjective findings? There's your problem.

#416 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 10 September 2009 - 11:09 PM

Yoda, dude, you're making Americans look worse. Knock it the hell off, man!

NZ.org | BBPCG
Steam

#417 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 10 September 2009 - 11:22 PM

A continent is one of several large landmasses on Earth. They are generally identified by convention rather than any strict criterion, with seven regions commonly regarded as continents – they are (from largest in size to smallest): Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Antarctica, Europe, and Australia.[1][2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#418 Ring o' Fate

Ring o' Fate

The Ghost.

• Project Team
  • 1,627 posts
  • Projects:Trying to find meaning...
  •  The guy that is just a ghost.

Posted 11 September 2009 - 01:04 AM

@ Beo: We are Americans, we can say what we want. FREEDOM OF SPEECH. Don' like it? TOUGH.

Edited by Ring o' Fate, 11 September 2009 - 01:05 AM.

A changed man is only the same man with a different outlook of life.

#419 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 11 September 2009 - 03:31 AM

Like the Discharge song states, "Free speech for the dumb."

NZ.org | BBPCG
Steam

#420 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 11 September 2009 - 03:51 AM

Technically speaking Europe is your subcontinent, regardless of any ego-centric delusions you might have wink.gif

regardless of any ego-centric delusions you might have wink.gif

of any ego-centric delusions you

ego-centric

Pot. Kettle. Black.
Posted Image

:p
----------
And Australia is cool cause its a whole content under a single country. Its both biggest island and smallest contenent. Europe has so many countries jam packed together in one spot i kinda wonder why they even bother remaining seperate countries. We in Australia have single states bigger then many of the countries in europe combined.

and yeah, Europe is classes as a separate contenent.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users