title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 25 June 2009 - 01:03 PM

We call it the Gherkin, 2playgames.

All right, Matias, there are impressive geological formations to see in Europe, just like in the States--but look at your first image, the one of the Alps. That is what I imagine much of European "nature" to be like: the mountains are there, but so is the paved road right up to the base. Vast tracks of land untouched except for foot trails through them simply do not exist in the Old World at near the quantities that they do in the American West.

Clearly you've never been to Europe. Don't tell us what our countries look like, I think we should know.

Edited by Puppeteer, 25 June 2009 - 01:04 PM.

#42 Rafv Nin IV

Rafv Nin IV

Vermin of Revora

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • Projects:RPG Frontier

Posted 25 June 2009 - 03:25 PM

As I have never been to Europe, that is why I said, "That is what I imagine European nature to be like", not "That is what European nature is like". I was demonstrating that European conservation does not have the renown that American conservation does.

I will once again (although not before in this topic) point out that the State of Oregon alone is just slightly larger than the United Kingdom, but contains only 1/20th of the people. Through common deduction, we can assume that more people take up more space, and thus leave less space for nature. This cannot be debated.

Vortigern, we may be constantly in conflict, but in truth we aren't really devastating ourselves through war. Though the war in Iraq is nearing eight years, we've only lost about 4,000 soldiers. While that certainly isn't sunshine and daisies, we've got a long way to catch up to the many millions lost in European wars.

On an unrelated note, Jazz is awesome. Jazz is from America. Ergo, America is awesome, although not nearly as awesome as Jazz. Jazz is just pure, concentrated juice of awesomeness.

And 2playgames, it's all in the sporting spirit :lol:

Edited by Rafv Nin IV, 25 June 2009 - 03:26 PM.

Posted Image

#43 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 25 June 2009 - 03:47 PM

Jazz may have started in America, but wasn't from American society.

Britain may have more people than Oregon, but that doesn't mean we lack nature. Look up something called the 'hot banana'. The south-east and the northern conurbations bear most of the population, while the rest is significanltly 'emptier'. The same extends into Europe. There are areas of densely populated areas. But that makes up a tiny portion of Europe. There's more nature than you could ever imagine, and a huge variety too. It's astounding.

As I have never been to Europe, that is why I said, "That is what I imagine European nature to be like", not "That is what European nature is like". I was demonstrating that European conservation does not have the renown that American conservation does.

There happens to be something that America has that none of you Europeans can ever attest to. It's called the wilderness

Sounds like it...

Edited by Puppeteer, 25 June 2009 - 03:53 PM.

#44 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,829 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 25 June 2009 - 03:50 PM

Europe may have had a great many wars in the past, but America does seem to be doing its level best to catch up as fast as possible. Besides, we're not the ones who murdered 150'000 civilians in Hiroshima and the same again through radiation poisoning and mutations directly caused by the aftermath of the bombing, and half that again in Nagasaki. There were also about 5'000 American Japanese living in those two cities at the time. Way to salughter your own, America.

Vort, this one time, I'm going to have to call bullshit. Estimates for initial US casualties ran as high as half a million. Initial. Some estimates for 1.2 million by the time Japan would surrender. And then there's the Japanese casualties.
Futhermore, my 2 of my great-grandfathers were serving under MacArthur at this time. It's possible, even likely, that I would not be here right now if we had not dropped the bombs.

However, one thing I feel I ought to mention in favour of Texas: the only Texans I've met have all been extremely friendly people. It's like living in the north of England, where everybody knows their neighbours and gives you free pancakes every now and then. (That was a very good day. ) But maybe that's just general small-town America, I'm not sure.

It's known as Southern hospitality for a reason :lol:
That being said, it's not as common in the big cities, but still fairly dominant in the suburbs.

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#45 Rafv Nin IV

Rafv Nin IV

Vermin of Revora

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • Projects:RPG Frontier

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:08 PM

I will concede, Puppeteer, that I am biased, prejudiced and bigoted on this subject, and that you have accurately called it out.

Then again, isn't that what this topic is for? :lol:

On the subject of America vs. Europe, I have nothing more to add besides this picture:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#46 Copaman

Copaman

Ryan

• Project Team
  • 2,144 posts
  • Projects:Winning.
  •  Slowly becoming a Veteran

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:26 PM

Also:

United States of America: 2

Spain: 0

===

'Nuff said :lol:

Posted Image

If you meet me:

Have some courtesy,

Have some sympathy,

And some taste.

Use all your well-learned politesse,

Or I'll lay your soul to waste.

#47 Beowulf

Beowulf

Anime Girl

• Advisors
  • 7,217 posts
  • Projects:Red Alert X, YR: TG Redux, AR

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:44 PM

America might have muscle cars, but Europe has the real supercars. The Bugatti Veyron, fastest car in the world. German. The Aston Martin DB9, classiest car in the world. British. Rolls Royce: British. Jaguar: British. Lotus: British. McLaren: British. Lamborghini: Italian. Ferrari: Italian. Alfa Romeo: Italian. And what does America have? Ford, Chrysler, Chevrolet and General Motors. Besides, if we're really going to talk cars, Japan beats us all. Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Daimler (the guys who make hearses). Honda have also invented the only really environmentally viable car: the Honda Clarity. It runs on a hydrogen fuel cell and produces only water as a waste product.

Yeah? And? Everything you listed costs more than the average person can afford. Besides, most of those cars look stupid and I can't stand it, especially the Lambos and Ferraris. UGLY, UGLY cars. I will hand it to Alfa though, they know how to produce a good car and I'll let you have that one. Though I notice the suspicious lack of Fiat in that list. :lol:

Chevrolet is part of GM so we only have three automakers in the US.
Also, Daimler is not Japanese. :) They're European. >_>

Whereas America wouldn't even sign the Kyoto Protocol.

Put the blame where it needs to be - the previous presidential administration. >_>

But maybe that's just general small-town America, I'm not sure.

It is. :lol:

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#48 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:56 PM

Fair enough, I made a couple of errors in my previous post. Also, Elvenlord, I already knew about the estimates for American casualties should a land-based invasion have taken place, but I decided to overlook them for the sake of supporting my homeland. Congratulations on existing, by the way. ^_^

@ Beowulf: See, I thought Daimler was another German make too, but then I found a list of Japanese manufacturers on Wikipedia and Daimler was on there, so I added it in. Meh. Also, I totally agree with you on the Lambos and the Ferraris, they have power but no grace. Which is why I've always preferred English supercars to Italian. Astons, Jags and TVRs are, as a rule, gorgeous.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#49 True Lord of Chaos

True Lord of Chaos

I have returned, mostly out of boredom.

• Members
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:47 PM

berlin pics

^_^ That makes me want to visit Germany even more now...
There's reason number three to go, number one being that my ancestors come from there. Number two is to ride in a StuH 42 :p
@Vort: What about Corvettes? They're awesome :good:

Edited by 2playgames, 25 June 2009 - 08:55 PM.

Hello everyone. I am back.

#50 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:56 PM

Better than most Americans:
Posted Image
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#51 Beowulf

Beowulf

Anime Girl

• Advisors
  • 7,217 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:02 PM

@ Beowulf: See, I thought Daimler was another German make too, but then I found a list of Japanese manufacturers on Wikipedia and Daimler was on there, so I added it in. Meh. Also, I totally agree with you on the Lambos and the Ferraris, they have power but no grace. Which is why I've always preferred English supercars to Italian. Astons, Jags and TVRs are, as a rule, gorgeous.

Wiki is full of errors but I looked up Daimler AG and they're most definitely a German automaker. Woohoo, Stuttgart. XD

Meh. I like my muscle cars of eras past. There's nothing sweeter than the rumble of a 68 Camaro SS or just about any GM or Ford car from back then. Must just be me and my Americanness. XD

NZ.org | BBPCG
Steam

#52 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 8,883 posts
  • Projects:YouTube
  •  Actual Celebrity
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 26 June 2009 - 01:09 AM

That or your obsession with the America of tomorrow that never came.

Besides, we're not the ones who murdered 150'000 civilians in Hiroshima and the same again through radiation poisoning and mutations directly caused by the aftermath of the bombing, and half that again in Nagasaki. There were also about 5'000 American Japanese living in those two cities at the time. Way to salughter your own, America.

Sounds like someone is mad that Einstein came to America instead of the Netherlands. Jealousy is one of the seven deadly sins of Thomas Jefferson.

YT_Sig.jpgoutput_Fkd6it.gifFB_Sig.jpg

#53 Rob38

Rob38

Believer of Hope

• Hosted
  • 3,567 posts
  • Projects:Helm's Deep Last Hope
  •  One who is not afraid of new challenges

Posted 26 June 2009 - 03:11 AM

I'd prefer less overall poverty over rare ''epic careers'' any day.

You don't need much for a good career over here so the poverty thing is a moot point. And that is a misnomer since many people 'in poverty' are just lazy and won't get a real job. Even when we had plenty of work, they were still lazing about, buying fucking Cadillacs and paying for Sprite with food stamps. Poverty my ass.

I'm sorry, but I must call you out on this. Do you really believe that is what poverty is like in America? What a shame. You really have no clue what it's really like. All you are doing is spewing a stereotype that is false and wrong. Most people living in poverty work very hard to provide food for their families and improve their lives. They try to find good jobs but without money for education and lack of resources, it's very difficult to find a stable and good paying job. Also, many people fall into poverty after losing a job by no fault of their own. Please, before you go and spew all this hate and disgust towards people in poverty, why don't you go out and see what poverty is like firsthand? It really can be a life changing experience as you begin to realize how fortunate you really are.

This whole Europe vs. America contest to me is rather silly. Can we not all just get along without bashing each other? Both countries/continents have done things that we all regret, but that does not make the people in them evil or bad.

signature_group1.gif

16821.png

#54 Beowulf

Beowulf

Anime Girl

• Advisors
  • 7,217 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 03:45 AM

I'm sorry, but I must call you out on this. Do you really believe that is what poverty is like in America? What a shame. You really have no clue what it's really like. All you are doing is spewing a stereotype that is false and wrong. Most people living in poverty work very hard to provide food for their families and improve their lives. They try to find good jobs but without money for education and lack of resources, it's very difficult to find a stable and good paying job. Also, many people fall into poverty after losing a job by no fault of their own. Please, before you go and spew all this hate and disgust towards people in poverty, why don't you go out and see what poverty is like firsthand? It really can be a life changing experience as you begin to realize how fortunate you really are.

I guess you didn't grow up where I did and have never seen what I've seen. I've seen it and, yes, it is a shame but whole thing entirely is a misnomer since there are MORE THAN ENOUGH people who are technically in poverty yet drive a nicer car than I do and pay for SPRITE with goddamn food stamps. I saw ALL OF THIS with my EYES. Before you accuse me of stereotyping, at least know I lived in that area and was lucky enough to MOVE AWAY FROM IT.

And I do realize how destitute some families are. I'm not abject to that and do understand it quite well. A couple of my friends lived very close to that sort of life.

And then don't accuse me of taking my fortunate life for granted. THAT really bites my ass harder than accusing me of not understanding anything.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Steam

#55 Rob38

Rob38

Believer of Hope

• Hosted
  • 3,567 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 04:21 AM

I guess you didn't grow up where I did and have never seen what I've seen. I've seen it and, yes, it is a shame but whole thing entirely is a misnomer since there are MORE THAN ENOUGH people who are technically in poverty yet drive a nicer car than I do and pay for SPRITE with goddamn food stamps. I saw ALL OF THIS with my EYES. Before you accuse me of stereotyping, at least know I lived in that area and was lucky enough to MOVE AWAY FROM IT.

And I do realize how destitute some families are. I'm not abject to that and do understand it quite well. A couple of my friends lived very close to that sort of life.

And then don't accuse me of taking my fortunate life for granted. THAT really bites my ass harder than accusing me of not understanding anything.

Well, don't know where you lived, but most people in poverty don't even have a car. :p The problems you have described may have been before TANF was enacted. If that was the case, then yes, that could potentially happen, although it really was not that common. Now, in order to receive benefits, you must be working or going to school (although there are limits to time allowed in school).

Also, I never meant to accuse you of anything. All I had was your post to work with, so do not take it as a personal attack or anything. I'm sorry it you interpreted it that way as that was not my intention. Your post just seemed rather harsh for people living in poverty and it did not accurately portray them.

EDIT: Just read my first post and I'm sorry for being so accusatory. It was a lot harsher than it should have been. I assumed things that I do not know about you. Sorry. ^_^

Edited by Rob38, 26 June 2009 - 04:28 AM.

signature_group1.gif

16821.png

#56 Beowulf

Beowulf

Anime Girl

• Advisors
  • 7,217 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 04:38 AM

Well, don't know where you lived, but most people in poverty don't even have a car. :p The problems you have described may have been before TANF was enacted. If that was the case, then yes, that could potentially happen, although it really was not that common. Now, in order to receive benefits, you must be working or going to school (although there are limits to time allowed in school).

The truly destitute families, yeah. I would definitely agree there but I think even a lot of them still have a junker. And believe me, I saw this before and after TANF and I saw it quite a bit. To this day I find it disgusting since it's taking advantage of the system and it's one of those things that really burns my ass... so to speak.

Your post just seemed rather harsh for people living in poverty and it did not accurately portray them.

Maybe it was but what do you expect when I consistently see "poor people" mooching off the system? I mean, that's not exactly positive. Especially since my tax dollars PAY for it.

EDIT: Just read my first post and I'm sorry for being so accusatory. It was a lot harsher than it should have been. I assumed things that I do not know about you. Sorry. ^_^

It happens. But the thing is, I don't make these accusations without personal experience. Trust me... I saw it.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Steam

#57 Rob38

Rob38

Believer of Hope

• Hosted
  • 3,567 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 05:10 AM

It happens. But the thing is, I don't make these accusations without personal experience. Trust me... I saw it.

Ok, thanks for the understanding. I do agree it is sad when you see people abuse the system. Unfortunately, it happens everywhere in society, including welfare benefits. ^_^

signature_group1.gif

16821.png

#58 GodSun666

GodSun666

Marching Trough The Eternal Fields Of Chaos!

• Banned
  • 1,439 posts
  • Projects:Fast Fun And Crazy for Red Alert 3

Posted 26 June 2009 - 10:23 AM

*cough* WE OWN YOU *cough*

Posted Image
для матери Россия! Советский Союз победит! Америка может облизывать мои яйца
Posted Image
Posted Image

#59 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 26 June 2009 - 10:26 AM

Yeah, a world-destroying black hole will be created in Europe. Beat that, America. ^_^
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#60 GodSun666

GodSun666

Marching Trough The Eternal Fields Of Chaos!

• Banned
  • 1,439 posts
  • Projects:Fast Fun And Crazy for Red Alert 3

Posted 26 June 2009 - 10:33 AM

I mean it technolagy wise.. We can destroy the whole world ^_^! they need about 10 nukes orso :p.. we only 1 LHC :good:!
для матери Россия! Советский Союз победит! Америка может облизывать мои яйца
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users