Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 07 July 2009 - 06:35 PM

I think it's high time we at Creativity (read: me) set about getting a decent skin for this place. When I first stumbled across the forums marked 'Creativity' I was flabbergasted to discover that not only were they mostly dead, but that they looked it too. The least I had hoped for was an exciting layout and design, but I was sadly disappointed. I have now finally got around to broaching the subject of a new skin for the Creativity forums, though I myself have no idea how to go about making one.

I am pinning this topic up so that people might tell me what they think the new skin for Creativity should look like. And please, don't just say "Use the T3A one because it's awesome". :p What sort of thing do you like about the other skins used around Revora or other forums? What sort of basic design do you feel the Creativity section should go for?

N.B. I already have a vague idea of what I think it should be like. I mostly want to hear if other people think I'm right or stupid, or both. Oh, and if anyone wants to go ahead and make one anyway, feel free. I am growing rather weary of the same old Revora skin day in day out. This is open to all, by the way, not just those who frequent these particular forums, though obviously those opinions may be given greater weight than some drive-by hooligan who turns up and says "Lime green with orange stripes and penises for forum markers". (As an extreme example. Nobody suggest that.)
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#2 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:19 PM

Hmm. The banner could alternate for each section - Creative Discussion could be the Acropolis (was thinking 'forum' :p), Graphics could be some graffiti from the Berlin Wall (there's a really cool pic I can't find right now), Music a picture from a concert of some sort, Writer's Guild a library or something, and Creative Works.. whatever :)

#3 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:31 PM

While possible, that's a bitch to set up and maintain technically :p
Or not...it might be possible with conditional pieces in the template code.
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#4 Rafv Nin IV

Rafv Nin IV

Vermin of Revora

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • Projects:RPG Frontier

Posted 07 July 2009 - 08:22 PM

I think a new skin ought to resemble that crazy userbar in Segway's signature. :p

And incidentally, the T3A skin is awesome.

Edited by Rafv Nin IV, 07 July 2009 - 08:23 PM.

Posted Image

#5 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:25 AM

One thing about making a new skin is making sure you get every little part. You really have to click into each button like the search and calender and such. It's a pain in the ass. The second part is the aweful naming structure IPB uses, you really have to guess what parameter changes what based on trial and error. Last, any new forum upgrades could kill your skin fast.

Personally I like the GDI skin, but I may be abit biased. Why not a skin resembling some ancient greek theme with marble textures and dorian artwork. Or even a japanese theme with asian vines growing on stone and silk draperies.

We really could use a creepy zombie theme or hightech sci-fi, or maybe even an organic alien slime (movie Alien) theme.

#6 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:31 AM

I was already considering the Japanese theme. Nice and peaceful, yet at the same time potentially rather inspiring. I figure there's a reason Japan had so many poets in the era of gardens and fancy flowers and waterfalls.

And I did bring up the possibility of upgrading to IPB 3.0.0, but that seems to be have decided against because it's really not worth it. Therefore, I think we're good to go.

I like Mike's idea of different designs for every subforum, but that may be pushing it a bit. What do you prefer? Greek or Japanese? (Or other?)
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#7 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:43 AM

Hmm, a Japanese them sounds interesting.

And I did bring up the possibility of upgrading to IPB 3.0.0, but that seems to be have decided against because it's really not worth it.

It is, and we're going to do that (if it's up to me). Not just now though, it takes some preparation.
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#8 GodSun666

GodSun666

Marching Trough The Eternal Fields Of Chaos!

• Banned
  • 1,439 posts
  • Projects:Fast Fun And Crazy for Red Alert 3

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:16 AM

Damnit.. after Gamemate left i deleted my backups of the nod and scrin skins we worked on. We could have used that they were quite kick ass! then again making a new skins isn't that hard if you have several people and they all know what to do. like : Person 1 makes the chatbox + buttons Person 2 makes the buttons of the callendar and such.

and about the programming stuff well, someone with some good experience could do that!
для матери Россия! Советский Союз победит! Америка может облизывать мои яйца
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 05:27 PM

mockup! :tongevil:

Attached Thumbnails

• creativeskin.jpg

#10 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 05:47 PM

Why not find some way to combine the Greek and Japanese themes into something new and awesome?

Like this but with less Paint involved :tongevil: you have the archetypal Corinthian pillars and the funky Japanese designs, as well as the symbol for 'wisdom' (or whatever you want) in there, too. Colours can be changed as seen fit etc.

CreativeForum.jpg

#11 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:09 PM

like so?

Attached Thumbnails

• creativeskin2.jpg

#12 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:12 PM

Precisely :tongevil:

#13 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:47 PM

I'm not too fond of the pillars. If we go for an oriental theme, we must have cherry blossoms :tongevil:

#14 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:54 PM

I quite like the mix-and-match style. Does anyone know what I mean by the standard Japanese arty thing with the waves and the temples and the fish and the green hills? You'd recognise it if you saw it. Anyway, why not put something like that around the outside and have the pillars supporting the forum board, as in 2play's mockup? And then make the buttons all fancy and Japanese symbols for "click here" or something. :tongevil:

#15 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:12 PM

I have a japanese font that isn't too overbearing I used with Shogun.

#16 dancam

dancam

Phoenix Rises!

• Undead
  • 2,278 posts
  •  Ex Network Leader

Posted 08 July 2009 - 10:21 PM

Someone change the colours they burn my eyes!
Dan

#17 Vithar-133

Vithar-133

Violent Gandhi

• Project Team
  • 1,975 posts
  • Projects:Existing
  •  It's not your skill, boys. It's your will. Ooh-rah!

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:25 AM

Does anyone know what I mean by the standard Japanese arty thing with the waves and the temples and the fish and the green hills?

Do you mean things like these, Vort?

http://emptyeasel.co.../04/Ukiyo-e.jpg

http://www.bfeedme.c.....anese Art.jpg

http://www.stolaf.ed...ions_screen.jpg

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#18 GodSun666

GodSun666

Marching Trough The Eternal Fields Of Chaos!

• Banned
  • 1,439 posts
  • Projects:Fast Fun And Crazy for Red Alert 3

Posted 09 July 2009 - 06:38 AM

There should be some Koi karpers if we are going with an japenese theme. And @ 2playgames it looks good. But the those colours should have some light effect a bit more shiney.
для матери Россия! Советский Союз победит! Америка может облизывать мои яйца
Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 07:06 AM

Well don't forget mine is only a concept. Somebody with real graphics skills should look it over. Anyway, I like a combination of my columns and Vithar's second picture (the flowers) with the line drawing style from his first picture.

#20 segwayrulz

segwayrulz

title available

• Members
  • 788 posts
  • Projects:....

Posted 09 July 2009 - 07:29 AM

I agree with rafv, there needs to be some randomness in it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users