Rob38

Believer of Hope

• Hosted
  • 3,567 posts
  • Projects:Helm's Deep Last Hope
  •  One who is not afraid of new challenges

Posted 13 July 2009 - 04:26 AM

*Taken and modified from this topic*

If you have any problems with installing The Elven Alliance: Community Edition and/or experiencing problems playing the game, post your questions here and we will try to help you. This thread is not for random discussion or for suggestions for new features in TEA:CE. Other than that, post away!

Edit: OK, here are the most common problems and their solutions. Please make sure to read through this, as it may save you making a post explaining your problem. :p

First, check the README file (including in the .zip download file)! This will answer many of your questions.

Second, read what is mentioned in the installer. Do not just skip through it! One of the most important parts is the following:

(The Installer)

It is CRUCIAL for you to READ THIS PAGE. It will help you with most installation problems. It is suggested that you copy and print this page for future reference.

To play this mod, you will need the following:
- a genuine copy of Battle for Middle-Earth
- the ENGLISH version of the game installed
- patch 1.03
- a clean Battle for Middle-Earth root folder

The last (clean BFME root folder) is a result of self-tampering with the source BFME files or from poorly delivered mods. To clean your BFME root folder, you must first uninstall BFME. You then go to the root BFME folder (should be in Program Files/EA Games/ or Games/EA Games) and delete any excess files kicking around. Reinstall your game and then repatch.

///---///---///---///

Problem 1:
If the actual installer appears to crash or not respond, leave it alone. It is normal, it will suddenly start responding and immediately say that installation is complete.

///---///---///---///

Problem 2:
If the installer fails to actually load, download it again. The file should be about 90MB.

///---///---///---///

Problem 3:
If some things don't appear to work, this could be because you don't have a clean root folder. Installing other mods previously can cause this. Uninstall BFME then delete all of its Program Files (explained further in README file).

///---///---///---///

Problem 4:
If the game crashes when you try to set up a skirmish map, it could be caused by old mods adding factions to the player profile. You have to delete the profile created in the BFME Files in your Application Data folder. To view this folder you must unhide Hidden Files and Folders, which can be done in Folder Options. For future ease, right click on the main App Data folder and uncheck Hidden (explained further in README file).

///---///---///---///

Problem 5:

Make sure your game is patched up to 1.03. You can find the download link here.

///---///---///---///

Problem 6:
If new heroes/units/buildings have pink buttons and their models are invisible, then it is because you have placed the .BIG file into the BFME Program Files. Do not do this, the installer automatically placed the .BIG file in the correct location, which is you Application Data folder. The Application Data folder can be viewed by going to Folder Options and selecting Show Hidden Files and Folders. Another reason could be that you installed BFME to a drive other than C:/, in which case uninstall BFME and reinstall it on C:/

///---///---///---///

Problem 7:
If you have a version other than English installed, you have to edit the TEA shortcut like this:

1. Copy your BFME shortcut.
2. Right-click, then properties. (the one at the bottom)
3. In Target add this behind everything: -mod ElvenAllianceCommunityEdition.big
now it should look something like this:
"E:\Games\Kampen om Midgard™\lotrbfme.exe" -mod ElvenAllianceCommunityEdition.big (this is for the Norwiegan install)

Make sure you change the drive letter to the relevant one

Other language names for BFME:

German: Die Schlacht um Mittelerde™
Espanol: La Batalla por la Tierra Media™
French: La Bataille pour la Terre du Milieu™
Italian: La Battaglia per la Terra di Mezzo™
Dutch: The Battle for Middle-earth™
Norwegian: Kampen om Midgard™
Polish: Bitwa o Œródziemie™
Swedish: Härskarringen™

///---///---///---///

Thank-you for taking the time to read this. Hopefully your problem/s have been sorted out. :D

signature_group1.gif

16821.png

#2 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:10 PM

I try installation on the elven alliance community edition but help not.
Please you can make Youtube the is easy for us! :p

#3 Rob38

Rob38

Believer of Hope

• Hosted
  • 3,567 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 02:16 AM

I try to avoid youtube at all costs. :p

Anyways, by the way you wrote the post, it appears that English is not your first language. If you're installing the mod in a different language, then things can get more complicated. Perhaps if you tell us your native language, someone who speaks it can help out. :p

signature_group1.gif

16821.png

#4 Guest_Brian_*

Guest_Brian_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2009 - 04:33 AM

I have some problems with the mod and none of the solutions seem to work. I used the Elven icon, but instead of modified version of the game, the regular one opens up. The thing closest that I could think of is Solution #6 but I downloaded everything in its proper place. I have everything needed for the mod to run. Does the mod work on Windows Vista? Thank you.

#5 Guest_Brian_*

Guest_Brian_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2009 - 05:00 AM

Sorry for the extra reply. I've tried the Elven Alliance Beta Version 2 and it seems to work fine. Thank you again!

#6 Guest_Brian_*

Guest_Brian_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2009 - 05:21 AM

I'm extremely sorry for the extra post again... but I noticed that when I installed the beta version 2, it led me to a different directory then the newest version, so I copied the location, and pasted it so it led to where the beta was installed at instead of the Application Data folder and it worked. Sorry again for all the spam... If you could, delete my posts. :p

#7 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 19 July 2009 - 09:58 AM

Sorry to say Rob, but the installer is as dumb as it can get. It creates a stupid shortcut if:
- you don't place the mod in the default install folder (in your BFME files)
- or if you don't have BFME installed at the default location (also if you have a 64-bit version of windows, where BFME goes into "Program Files (x86)").
I had both :p

Both are things that a decent install software (like NSIS, not clickteam) should be able to solve. :p
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#8 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2009 - 10:30 AM

I try to avoid youtube at all costs. :p

Anyways, by the way you wrote the post, it appears that English is not your first language. If you're installing the mod in a different language, then things can get more complicated. Perhaps if you tell us your native language, someone who speaks it can help out. :p

Okay!

#9 Rob38

Rob38

Believer of Hope

• Hosted
  • 3,567 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 06:39 PM

Sorry to say Rob, but the installer is as dumb as it can get. It creates a stupid shortcut if:
- you don't place the mod in the default install folder (in your BFME files)
- or if you don't have BFME installed at the default location (also if you have a 64-bit version of windows, where BFME goes into "Program Files (x86)").
I had both :xd:

Both are things that a decent install software (like NSIS, not clickteam) should be able to solve. ;)

Yeah, I suppose the installer was not the best. :p What is NSIS? I'll try to have a better installer for the next version. :rolleyes:

signature_group1.gif

16821.png

#10 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:59 PM

http://en.wikipedia...._Install_System
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#11 Rob38

Rob38

Believer of Hope

• Hosted
  • 3,567 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:41 PM

http://en.wikipedia...._Install_System

I'll get it a shot in the next release. :p

signature_group1.gif

16821.png

#12 Guest_FarShot_*

Guest_FarShot_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2009 - 01:19 PM

Hi, the default installation route doesn't exist for Vista, as it doesn't have a documents and settings folder, but a users folder. What is the equivalent location?

#13 Ring o' Fate

Ring o' Fate

The Ghost.

• Project Team
  • 1,627 posts
  • Projects:Trying to find meaning...
  •  The guy that is just a ghost.

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:14 PM

The Install route is bugged.
(Looks at Rob)
Just go to file search and search "My Battle For Middle-earth Files". :wink-new:
A changed man is only the same man with a different outlook of life.

#14 Guest_Crispy_*

Guest_Crispy_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2009 - 06:36 PM

Hi, i inatalled Elven Alliance and it dosnt seem to work and seems to have stopped my original BFME game from working. When i click on the shortcut nothing happens and i have tried going into the game folder and launching it from there. Can you help me with this?

#15 Guest_Crispy_*

Guest_Crispy_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:11 PM

Hi, i inatalled Elven Alliance and it dosnt seem to work and seems to have stopped my original BFME game from working. When i click on the shortcut nothing happens and i have tried going into the game folder and launching it from there. Can you help me with this?

Sorry nevermind i got it fixed now! ^_^
Good mod!

#16 Olorin

Olorin

Mithrandir

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  •  That wandering conjuror...

Posted 09 August 2009 - 06:04 AM

Hey guys, first of all, congrats on the first release of CE! :p I just got a new PC with Vista and I got a few problems. I know the installer isn't that helpful, but eventually I got the game working. A couple problems: for some reason (and this has happened with other people) the shellmap didn't load, and all the reskinned and new units (and some buttons) appeared in purple or not at all.

Other than that the game works fine. :p So yeah, uhm, any suggestions?

Edit: uhm, exactly where should the mod be installed? 'Cause I think that might be the answer to all my problems. :thumbsupsmiley:

Edited by Olorin, 09 August 2009 - 09:54 AM.

Posted Image

...The Journey doesn't end here; death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass. And then you see it. White shores...and beyond. A far green country, under a swift sunrise...

...Many folk like to know beforehand what is to be set on the table; but those who have laboured to prepare the feast like to keep their secret; for wonder makes the words of praise louder...

...Stand, Men of the West! Stand and wait! This is the hour of doom... ~ Gandalf the White, The Return of the King

#17 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:17 PM

Same place as the orginal. Download that and install CE to the same place.

Oh, and welcome back :p

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#18 _Haldir_

_Haldir_

Mapper

• Project Team
  • 1,203 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds, The Elven Alliance: Community Edition
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 10 August 2009 - 02:56 AM

///---///---///---///

Problem 6:
If new heroes/units/buildings have pink buttons and their models are invisible, then it is because you have placed the .BIG file into the BFME Program Files. Do not do this, the installer automatically placed the .BIG file in the correct location, which is you Application Data folder. The Application Data folder can be viewed by going to Folder Options and selecting Show Hidden Files and Folders. Another reason could be that you installed BFME to a drive other than C:/, in which case uninstall BFME and reinstall it on C:/

///---///---///---///

Posted Image Posted Image

#19 Olorin

Olorin

Mithrandir

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  •  That wandering conjuror...

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:56 AM

Sorry, but neither of those could help me. The .BIG file's supposed to go into Application Data you say? Where's that? I've checked the hidden stuff and it's nowhere to be seen. So....any other suggestions? Really appreciate the help so far guys. :good:

Oh, and thankyou Elvenlord. :p

Edited by Olorin, 10 August 2009 - 12:02 PM.

Posted Image

...The Journey doesn't end here; death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass. And then you see it. White shores...and beyond. A far green country, under a swift sunrise...

...Many folk like to know beforehand what is to be set on the table; but those who have laboured to prepare the feast like to keep their secret; for wonder makes the words of praise louder...

...Stand, Men of the West! Stand and wait! This is the hour of doom... ~ Gandalf the White, The Return of the King

#20 _Haldir_

_Haldir_

Mapper

• Project Team
  • 1,203 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds, The Elven Alliance: Community Edition
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:53 PM

I'm only on XP and not Vista, but i think it's the same.. The .BIG file goes in "My Battle for Middle Earth Files".

"My Battle for Middle Earth Files" is located in C:/Documents and Settings/USER/Application Data
Obviously "USER" will be whatever name you have on your computer. And if you installed it on a drive other than C:/ then that's where it will be instead. Application Data is a hidden folder, so you have to go to Tools>Folder Options and allow yourself to see hidden stufff (which you've done) :good:

If you already tried all that and it still stuffs up i'd say you might have to reinstall and repatch so that you have a clean root folder.

Hope that helps

Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users