#41 GothmogtheOrc

GothmogtheOrc

Ruler of the Morgul Vale

• Hosted
  • 2,263 posts
  • Projects:Kings of the West Mod
  •  T3A Chamber Member - Retired

Posted 04 August 2009 - 04:48 AM

It's entirely for balance purposes. But you are right, viewed abstractly it doesn't make much sense. But then again, so do many of the things in the game.

-Gto

Nine%20rings.jpg
Click on my Sig to go to my BFME Modding site where you can download my mods.
KotW%20Morgul%20In-game.jpg
Kings of the West Mod Leader
*Retired. PM me if you need to get a hold of me as I'll get an email notification and should reply within a day or so*

#42 witchkingshour

witchkingshour
  • Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 12:37 PM

Gondor would get owned in a lot of matchups if them Gondor soldiers didn't come out.. Especially isen.. Amd archers cost like 250-300 so there a problem as well.. Like Gothmog says it's all for Balance.. people said the same thing when they asked why are orc warriors free?
"The world of Men will fall"

Posted Image

#43 The Lord Of The Bats

The Lord Of The Bats
  • Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 03:28 PM

Well, It kinds makes sense doesn't it, the soldiers of Gondor are their basic infantry, while for Mordor, they are orcs, and Soldiers of Rhun are just allies which, would make it harder to get for Mordor instead of Gondor getting... well... Gondor Soldiers.

#44 Ring o' Fate

Ring o' Fate

The Ghost.

• Project Team
  • 1,627 posts
  • Projects:Trying to find meaning...
  •  The guy that is just a ghost.

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:46 PM

...Rhun soldiers come from the Haradrim Palace. :p And orcs are practically free.
A changed man is only the same man with a different outlook of life.

#45 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:52 AM

So from what I understand Gondor soldiers cost only a hundred, yet more dominant than Rhun swordsmen, obviously stronger than peasants and about the same strength as men of the westfold? Correct? If yes, than the price does not make any sense, i mean if you wanna make the game balanced why not put them to an elite ish place and give Gondor something like militia battalion for the first basic unit that would be about the same as Rohan peasants and would cost around 100 - 150... ? I mean that would make sense wouldn't it or at least increase the price of soldiers of Gondor to 2 hundies ar least, I mean since I'm a big fan of mordor I feel abused by the mighty gondorian soldiers costing 3 times less than my good, but outmatched soldiers of Rhun... I mean I do understand that they are stronger ( better trained, equipped, blooded ) - according to films/books, but cheaper??? bloody hell - that's just sad :-(

#46 Guest_Guest_Mike_*_*

Guest_Guest_Mike_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:55 AM

Well, It kinds makes sense doesn't it, the soldiers of Gondor are their basic infantry, while for Mordor, they are orcs, and Soldiers of Rhun are just allies which, would make it harder to get for Mordor instead of Gondor getting... well... Gondor Soldiers.

HHmmm yeah, but cheaper and stronger; and more expensive and weaker - just doesn't make sense to me sorry ...

#47 Spartan184

Spartan184

:)

• Project Team
  • 1,592 posts
  • Projects:Random Modding Projects
  •  Coder, Map.ini Coder, Mapper, and Beta Tester

Posted 05 August 2009 - 01:11 AM

You have a point there they are to cheap.

safsignature.png

#48 Ring o' Fate

Ring o' Fate

The Ghost.

• Project Team
  • 1,627 posts
  • Projects:Trying to find meaning...
  •  The guy that is just a ghost.

Posted 05 August 2009 - 01:14 AM

To cut this conversation to an end, in GtO's words:
The new balance will surprise you.
:p
A changed man is only the same man with a different outlook of life.

#49 Guest_Guest_Mike_*_*

Guest_Guest_Mike_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:41 AM

To cut this conversation to an end, in GtO's words:
The new balance will surprise you.
^_^

Yeah I can see that it already surprises me, but as you can tell not in a good way - I mean I seriously don't see how it is balanced if Gondor is so dominant - and now I see they have Aragorn too with Gandalf and 100 dollar soldiers and 200 dollar spearmen, who I bet no worse than of Rhun... Correct??? :p

#50 Spartan184

Spartan184

• Project Team
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 02:33 PM

Well Aragorn isn't to powerful he takes forever to swing his sword at someone.

safsignature.png

#51 GothmogtheOrc

GothmogtheOrc

Ruler of the Morgul Vale

• Hosted
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 04:05 PM

I'm sorry that you feel Gondor is overpowered or has an unfair advantage. All I can tell you is that in my testing of the mod thus far I have seen nothing to suggest that Gondor is overpowered or has an unfair advantage.

-Gto

Nine%20rings.jpg
*Retired. PM me if you need to get a hold of me as I'll get an email notification and should reply within a day or so*

#52 Guest_Guest_Mike_*_*

Guest_Guest_Mike_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:29 AM

I'm sorry that you feel Gondor is overpowered or has an unfair advantage. All I can tell you is that in my testing of the mod thus far I have seen nothing to suggest that Gondor is overpowered or has an unfair advantage.

-Gto

Yeah but one hundred dollar soldiers and two hundred dollar spearmen? Why don't you just increase the price? Or simply add a new militia unit before you can buy soldiers? I mean I'm sure there would be hundreds of lads who would agree with me...

#53 Spartan184

Spartan184

• Project Team
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:58 AM

Well even though Gondor soldiers are powerful, Mordor has more LD and i mean a lot of it.

safsignature.png

#54 GothmogtheOrc

GothmogtheOrc

Ruler of the Morgul Vale

• Hosted
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 05:21 AM

Well to put this discussion to an end, it doesn't matter one bit what any number of lads think. It only matters what I think. And it is my opinion that this is just a game, it is not very true to real life or to the world of middle earth, and that it doesn't really matter one bit if soldiers and spearmen cost less or more. I've done what I've done so that the Gondor faction relies on soldiers for the bulk of their army (at least for the early/middle game) just like in the movies and books. These soldiers must be balanced against the other factions starting units as well as at an appropriate price so that the Gondor player can buy them with their economy. I feel, just like EA did, that 100 is an appropriate value given these considerations.

Ultimately if you disagree you are welcome to change it on your copy of the mod if and when you download it. However the version that I release publicly will have 100 cost Gondor Soldiers.

Thanks for sharing your feelings about the mod and the balance. I don't want to sound too harsh when I say the above and I hope you understand that. It is just that my decision is final.

-Gto

Nine%20rings.jpg

#55 bauglir1111

bauglir1111
  • Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:54 AM

Gto,I wonder do the units take all upgrades early?Or they dont take upgrades?

#56 GothmogtheOrc

GothmogtheOrc

Ruler of the Morgul Vale

• Hosted
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 06:34 PM

Not quite sure what you are asking... can you reword it maybe? :p

-Gto

Nine%20rings.jpg

#57 bauglir1111

bauglir1111
  • Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 06:41 PM

Not quite sure what you are asking... can you reword it maybe? :p

-Gto

Of course :p I said that when we play against ai,are the units(used by ai) taking all upgrades in ur mod?

#58 Spartan184

Spartan184

• Project Team
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:35 PM

They do upgrade with fire arrows but not much with armor or blades.

safsignature.png

#59 bauglir1111

bauglir1111
  • Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:06 PM

if u have all upgrades taken by ai in early game,dont the game become better?So,the mod will be harder than now.And so the game will be funnier than now.

#60 GothmogtheOrc

GothmogtheOrc

Ruler of the Morgul Vale

• Hosted
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:30 PM

Be that as it may, I don't know enough about the AI to do that. Could I learn, yes, but I don't have time or desire. The AI is vastly improved over the vanilla bfme, that's going to have to be good enough.

-Gto

Nine%20rings.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users