Confusion Over Graphics

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 Warlord Kentax

Warlord Kentax
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 05:24 AM

Quite frankly, I don't like the graphics, not to say that they are bad, I just don't like them. I preferred apocalypse tanks and prism tanks and the like looking the old way, and I especially preferred actually being able to see the detail on the infantry in regular RA2. Is there a way keeping everything on the same old scale as regular RA2 and then increase the resolution to get the same zoomed out effect? I have a group of about 8 people that LAN Yuri's Revenge on a regular basis and we were thinking about switching to Mental Omega instead, but the shrunken units are a real turn off for all of us.

#2 Speeder

Speeder

#ControlMOre

• Hosted
  • 8,998 posts
  • Projects:Mental Omega
  •  Mental Omega Creator

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:49 AM

I am most likely removing shrunken infantry from next release.

mainbanner.jpg
bt_left.pngbt_fb.pngbt_yt.pngbt_tw.pngbt_md.pngbt_right.png
115776.png

#3 Hogo

Hogo

Pro Mapper XD

• C&C Guild Staff
  • 1,295 posts
  • Projects:Enemy Enhanced, Mapping
  •  Friendly face
  • Division:C&C Guild
  • Job:Division Staff

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:04 AM

I am most likely removing shrunken infantry from next release.

Probably for the best, I used to use them smaller infantry but I decided it kinda ruined the game for them.

#4 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:18 PM

Depends on the type of mod. For YR based mod normal sized can work, but with a post-apocalyptic conversion tiny infantry definately look cool IMO.

On another note how did you actually like the old Apocalypse look? XD

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#5 Hogo

Hogo

Pro Mapper XD

• C&C Guild Staff
  • 1,295 posts
  • Projects:Enemy Enhanced, Mapping
  •  Friendly face
  • Division:C&C Guild
  • Job:Division Staff

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:34 PM

Depends on the type of mod. For YR based mod normal sized can work, but with a post-apocalyptic conversion tiny infantry definately look cool IMO.

On another note how did you actually like the old Apocalypse look? XD

It looked spectacular :D

#6 Speeder

Speeder

#ControlMOre

• Hosted
  • 8,998 posts
  •  Mental Omega Creator

Posted 24 July 2009 - 08:16 AM

You mean that tiny voxel? :cool2:

mainbanner.jpg
115776.png

#7 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

5700 vxl files & counting...

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  • Projects:D-Day
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:37 AM

The old apoc looked like it could be squished by some of the newer MO units IMO so the change was needed...

Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 Darkstorm

Darkstorm

Mod Enjoyer

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:34 AM

IMO the old apc fit ok for nilla YR but when you get started modding it just doesn't work, the "apocolypse" is looks more like the "bad day". todays YR mod units are typically at a bit bigger scale, and besides it doesn't even remotely fit the Soviet scheme.

#9 NeferiusX

NeferiusX
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 07:49 PM

Theres no way you can change the infantry size back!!!! I couldn't play yuri's revenge to begin with because the people where bigger than the tanks,lol not to mention a G.I. is bigger than a Destroyer..... it was apauling!!!!! i mean even now that they're smaller they're still huge compared to the world around them, and i can see the detail just fine, they acually look better now at a smaller res. no fun when your infantry is bigger than your tanks, and they're five times the size of any door on any building....... same thing as tiberian sun........ infantry where bigger than titan, and the mammoth mk2 was smaller the than infantry, hmmm that would be like the centerion being the size of an attack dog..........not apealing at all. small infantry gates and water defense FTW!!! lol with the old size a G.I. could just pick up and throw away an apocolypse tank. Ooooo look a toy tank!

Edited by NeferiusX, 08 August 2009 - 07:51 PM.

#10 True Lord of Chaos

True Lord of Chaos

I have returned, mostly out of boredom.

• Members
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:10 PM

You're exaggerating waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much in that post. The infantry aren't bigger then the tanks, they're just almost the same size. And a GI is nowhere near the size of a destroyer.

Hello everyone. I am back.

#11 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:02 PM

Well infantry were taller than tanks.

However you could also argue that having regular sized infantry encompasses a bigger audience. Some people dont like smaller infantry, some people prefer smaller but nobody can really HATE big infantry else they wouldnt have played the original.

Posted Image

#12 NeferiusX

NeferiusX
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 11:13 PM

well to put it into perspective.... a real destroyer can hold 2000 crew....... this one about 2, and they would be uncomfertably hanging from the side of the boat.... and in the original c&c (awwww good times) the infantry were the perfect size to the base and other surroundings. i just hate the fact the people are same size as tanks...... its like every one is the hulk.... good movie... the only ones who should be that size are the brutes.

Edited by NeferiusX, 08 August 2009 - 11:14 PM.

#13 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 09 August 2009 - 06:25 AM

Big infantry are good.
i hate all these scaled down infantry mods. Its one of my greatest dislikes.

Who cares if they look taller then a tank? it lets you see the details on them, and makes them easier to select, and its just better.

Ts infantry are smaller then Ra2 but are scaled well enough for my liking. I would ask however what Tiberian Sun you were playing, as to my knowledge infantry in that game were definitely smaller then the titan, and by extension the mammoth MkII.

The only time i think you would see infantry bigger then one of those is if you used the graphics for then in Ra2 (such as you can do in a mod map. TS units are hidden in RA2's files, but are scaled much smaller when used along side RA2's graphics)

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 09 August 2009 - 12:16 PM

Actually TS infantry are the same scale, because everything in TS is smaller than in RA2. And smaller infantry still have the same selection box size, so its not harder to select them.

Posted Image

#15 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:24 PM

I found it harder :good:

small infatry was one of the main reasons i got rid of MO. Along with a few other changes i didn't really like. i don't know why but i just never liked the mod (and i found the campaigns to be a bit to hard for my liking. Hey with the first yuri campaign is the starting movie suppose to just flash yuri saying 'general good evening' then end?)

i guess i like the original games feel. When i heard the harpooner using that voice it just didn't feel right as a yuri unit.
(not that i'm saying its a bad mod, just not my 'style' i guess, for lack of a better word)

Posted Image

#16 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:13 AM

Well Speeder just used snippets of WW FMVs, I suppose to make the campaign feel "fuller".

Posted Image

#17 Speeder

Speeder

#ControlMOre

• Hosted
  • 8,998 posts
  •  Mental Omega Creator

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:16 AM

Hey with the first yuri campaign is the starting movie suppose to just flash yuri saying 'general good evening' then end?

Hey hey, that one was awesome! :good: You go to Romanov's office and you see Yuri instead of your premier sitting in the office. That was the only thing I could do with FMVs from RA2 and YR to somehow make it fit MO storyline. :p

mainbanner.jpg
115776.png

#18 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:34 AM

lol, i guessed it was suppose to be something like that.

Man, if only you could get full movies like in the vanilla and expansion. That would be awesome. But i know thats not (really) possible. I'd i think i'd prefer just snippets then having some kinda crappy home movie type thing playing instead :grin:

I was still kinda confused though when he just came up for that split second and then disappeared.
On a not quite related note(well, somehow i've managed to relate it in my head), i'm sorry to say i always thought those pictures of 'uri' were pretty terrible :X (no offense or anything)
the whole purple recoloured suit with a plus sign of his head and one red pupil'ed eye just didn't do it for me. Yuri clones should look the same as yuri. Maybe i didn't like it cause it was just so 'cheesy' :p

Posted Image

#19 Speeder

Speeder

#ControlMOre

• Hosted
  • 8,998 posts
  •  Mental Omega Creator

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:14 AM

Well, I haven't seen Uri for years. :grin:

mainbanner.jpg
115776.png

#20 FiremariomkiZX 123-451-149

FiremariomkiZX 123-451-149
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 04:31 AM

Well, I haven't seen Uri for years. :blink:

Wait, who exactly is Uri? You mentioned Yuri before, so Uri ain't Yuri.

As for the Graphics, a big turn off was the huge soilders. In Mental Omega, I perfer not only the tiny soldiers, but also the revamped Prism Tank and the Apocalypse. I kinda perfer though the RA:3 Apocalypse look, with its Tesla Reactor on the outside, over both Mental Omega and Red Alert 2 vanilla.

The tiny soldiers also looked more detailed to me. I guess they first did a bunch of detail of the big versions of the infantry, then, shrink them. If the soldiers would revert to their origonal size, make the vehicles bigger than the troops. I do not wanna see big GIs trying to fit into a normal sized Halftrack.
FiremariomkiZX, reporting in, Commander!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users