just a few quetions

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sgt Lonewolf

Sgt Lonewolf
  • New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 September 2003 - 03:14 AM

Hi all I dont know who to ask but I hope I can get some help here.
I've been playing the old CS and HL for about a year and a half and seen some of the great maps and all out mods made for them and I am really impressed with the great Idea's peeps have come up with so I thought hey I'd like to give it a shot...but my down fall is I have no experiance in modeling,or source coding...ect.ect. I did a little mapping for the clan im in but nothin as involved as what im sure all of you are into....
I guess to come right down to it im askin is there a way I can get into any aspect of gaming and helping with makin a mod I really would like to do somethin like this but im afraid that I might be getting over my head cause it sounds like alot of you do this sort of thing for a living and I dont...lol...
if there is a way could you point me in the right direction...id even be willing to be taught as i go along

just some simple quetions thanks

P.S.
is there any thing i could read or a program(s) i could download to get myself started in that direction thanks

Sgt.Lonewolf ^_^

#2 Detail

Detail

King Detail

• Hosted
  • 7,767 posts
  • Projects:Dayvi.com
  •  Blu Spy

Posted 19 September 2003 - 12:36 PM

Hi all

Welcome :p

I dont know who to ask but I hope I can get some help here.

{moved this topic to this forum}

HL

We don't do any HL1 modding here. Were more HL2 and Gen

I have no experiance in modeling,or source coding

Most is easy to learn.

helping with makin a mod

Pick any good sounding project and make a post in there forum.

alot of you do this sort of thing for a living

I wish ^_^

point me in the right direction

http://modding.origi...tart/st_modding - written by me.

#3 Sgt Lonewolf

Sgt Lonewolf
  • New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 September 2003 - 01:36 PM

Thanks for the encouragment Detail...but is there any peticular mod that you'd suggest? I like the type of game were there is CO-OP..like CS and CS condition zero (Im still tryin to find out if condition zero is ever comin out...lol)
Do you have any suggestions?
and is there someone you'd recommend that is patient cause I'm sure i'll move slow at first ...tryin to learn and all
BTW did u hear about the programs Valve is using...supposedly you have to goto Seattle to get them if your going to make a mod...I read it in PCGamer this month that really sucks for me...I cant afford to go all the way out there...lol
Nor could I afford any other costs...lol
Well I guess I'll get going but if you r makin a mod or someone you know who would like me to help (even add different vocal stuff) I'd like to know thanks

Talk to ya again
Sgt Lonewolf ^_^

#4 MuDsHoVeLeR

MuDsHoVeLeR

title available

• Project Team
  • 350 posts

Posted 19 September 2003 - 01:52 PM

haha ok man I can help you with a couple of things

- we don't do this for a living, that's for sure. We make ZERO money off of this =P

- There's no way you'd have to go all the way to Seattle to pick up a program to help you mod. As soon as one person got it, he'd share it with his friends who would share it with theres, and within a few days you would be able to download it all over the place (if this Seattle story is true, which I don't think it is)

- I'm currently working on the In The Shadows mod for HL2 ( http://www.itsmod.com ) as a researcher and co-leader. My job is to help balance gameplay, propose and develop new and unique gameplay ideas, and do research to find information/images on weapons, vehicles, and characters that we'll be using. I know NOTHING about mapping. I know how to model a lollipop. I know NOTHING about skinning. I took a year of Java, but still know NOTHING about the HL SDK and will probably learn very little of the HL2 SDK. Still, I'm involved in the modding community. Basically, find a skill of yours, or the aspect of modding that you think most interests you, and focus on that. I have much experience with games, so I tend to be more of a developer/idea guy. It'd be impossible to do it all yourself (mapping, modeling, skinning, etc.) and be successful, so just choose one. Practice a bit, and get a few examples done, then find a mod that interests you (you said you liked CS... unfortunately HL2 currenty has dozens of CS-like mods coming out... which I think is painfully boring, but it should be easy for you to find one you like, and apply for a position). It's early in these mods creation stages, so it should be easy to be accepted.

- http://mods.moddb.com/?mf=t&mf_gme=61 lists about 2400 mods in production for HL2 lol. I would say maybe 50 will be successful. You can use the filters to FILTER out the ones that don't interest you. Go through the rest, and see what you like. If you've got any questions, email me or PM me or whatever... good luck!

#5 Detail

Detail

King Detail

• Hosted
  • 7,767 posts
  •  Blu Spy

Posted 19 September 2003 - 07:21 PM

any peticular mod

I suggest P.A. Antarctica. There forum is down the bottom of Origins board, so no need to find there board and signup like you would with others. It's a fun mod, so there wont be any stress that some serious mods might have.

I like the type of game were there is CO-OP

If a mods not co-op you can always encorage them to be while you work with them ;)2

find out if condition zero is ever comin out

:so: It is out. By todays standards it's a bit poo. If it had came out when first announed thay would have had the hype to back it up. How all that hype is wasted.

someone you'd recommend

I've been thinking about modder/artist sponsership (help, hosting, site, advertising, forum) for new modders. I've not had a chance to do anything other than think about it though. If you're intrested you could be the first 'apprentice modder'.

supposedly you have to goto Seattle

The self development kit should be released without hassle (from what i've read), the Hammer mapper should come with the game and for moddels there are converts. It looks like all tools are easy to get.

We make ZERO money off of this

In the long run making these mods could prove useful for later careers.

2400 mods in production for HL2

:o ... *looks*... 211 ;)2

#6 Sgt Lonewolf

Sgt Lonewolf
  • New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 September 2003 - 03:50 PM

Thanks Mudshovler for the link and the perspectives...but I may have miss represented my perspective...I am not just a CS freak...lol well ok i am but I also am very much a fan of single player games I am how ever interested in a mod that is single player or Co-op. so peeps can join in as the and leave but they all contribute towards the goal...(finding out what happens at the end..personally i like to leave open-ended endings...^_^ )thats kinda what i like ..
but thanks If you need help comin up with some Ideas e-mail me I like a challenge of trying think up somethin new...I too have many Ideas runnig through my skull...lol

Thanks
Sgt.Lonewolf

#7 MuDsHoVeLeR

MuDsHoVeLeR

title available

• Project Team
  • 350 posts

Posted 19 September 2003 - 09:36 PM

whoops... i meant 240 heh... i just had 30 displayed per page and then looked at the number of pages... call it a guesstimate

#8 Sgt Lonewolf

Sgt Lonewolf
  • New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 September 2003 - 09:52 PM

lol....thanks detail and mudshoveler.
Detail that sounds like a good Idea yeah I'd like to work with someone yourself even you sound like a pretty cool guy and not like some jerk (like some of the peeps I work with...lol)yeah definatly interested hey if theres a mod your workin on or if you need some fresh Ideas I'm in....
Hey talk to you both (Detail and Mudshoveler) you both r really cool...thanks for the patience and explinations ^_^ :p

Talk to ya'all later

Sgt.Lonewolf

P.S.
My clans name is CTR (counter-threat reduction)CS fans

C-YA :tocol:

#9 Detail

Detail

King Detail

• Hosted
  • 7,767 posts
  •  Blu Spy

Posted 19 September 2003 - 10:36 PM

I'm still thinking of how to work the sponsership/apprentership thing, so that will take a while. I have other things to do first.

Everyone here is nice. If there not thay get banned. Simple.

ITS might not be the best place to start because HL2 is not out yet.
Although being there from the beginning of a games modding community is always good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users