KaRsKiN

One man modding machine...pfft!!

• Hosted
  • 208 posts
  • Projects:C&C: Origins
  •  Skivvy!

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:01 PM

Hey guys

I've just bought a new laptop and upon inspection it turns out i have 2 hard drives (or rather one hard drive with two partitions). I have my OS_INSTALL C: drive, and my DATA D: drive.

Now from what i've read on the internet my C: drive is used for my windows install and for OS data should i need to restore my system, and my D: drive is used for backing up data that i want to keep.

I've never really used this before so it's all a little confusing. What i want to know is should i use my D: drive to install programs & games, and store my music, pictures etc? And leave my C: drive alone as it contains vital OS data?

It seems a strange question but my C: drive is only 40Gb, whereas my D: drive is 240Gb, so if i used my C: drive it would fill up pretty quickly.

Ideally id like to just merge the two partitions and just use a C: drive but i dont know whats best, any chance anyone with more knowledge than me could help me out?

Much Thanks

Karskin
Posted Image

#2 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:15 PM

Really, it doesn't matter all that much. It's just that at a certain point, either partition will run out of space. I was never a big fan of having a lot of partitions because I suck at estimating usage. This is especially true for Windows where I usually just have one partition per OS.
Then again, the manufacturer obviously had a certain usage intended, so you might as well just use it that way. The only thing I wonder is on which partition they put the "Program Files" folder...

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#3 KaRsKiN

KaRsKiN

One man modding machine...pfft!!

• Hosted
  • 208 posts
  • Projects:C&C: Origins
  •  Skivvy!

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:25 PM

Program Files is currently on the C: drive...is that a problem?
Posted Image

#4 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:06 AM

No. If you want to install to another drive, simply specify a new install location. My brother installs all of his games to his extra drives, and not C. No partitions, nothing special, just an alternate install location.

Easy, right?

Edited by Beowulf, 24 August 2009 - 01:07 AM.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#5 Bereneth Túrien

Bereneth Túrien

Ni degilbor

• Members
  • 414 posts
  • Projects:Working on my own mod.
  •  Former advisor.

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:45 PM

Multiple partitions don't even help with backup unless you're manually formatting a drive. If a drive fails, you'll lose all partitions on it anyway, so I don't see why you'd keep everything separate if the intended use is backup.

However, if you're using two partitions for simplicity/organizational reasons, then just do what Beowulf said and install programs on whichever partition you want them to be on.

If you're really picky and want most programs to install to, for instance, "D:\Program Files", there's a registry key that lets you change that. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion has values for Program Files, Common Files, Driver INFs, Media, etc. and you can change ProgramFilesDir to "D:\Program Files" to set the default Program Files to be on drive D. Unless you know what you're doing when editing the registry, i'd suggest avoiding this route.

I used to be {AE}Manveru, if that rings a bell.

#6 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 30 August 2009 - 11:56 PM

If you're really picky and want most programs to install to, for instance, "D:\Program Files", there's a registry key that lets you change that. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion has values for Program Files, Common Files, Driver INFs, Media, etc. and you can change ProgramFilesDir to "D:\Program Files" to set the default Program Files to be on drive D. Unless you know what you're doing when editing the registry, i'd suggest avoiding this route.

I did that once and it caused trouble, though I can't remember exactly what.
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#7 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 31 August 2009 - 12:25 AM

A lot of critical updates patch items in C:\Program Files\%MicrosoftRelatedItems%\ so that would likely be it.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#8 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:18 PM

I have my games and affiliated programs on my D, and the rest on C. Just keeps it easy and balanced.

#9 Romanul

Romanul

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:50 PM

I have both,I use C for all applications and D for all the stuff I do(work stuff).And its good for backup too...

At least for me :shiftee2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users