Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 04 October 2009 - 11:00 PM

Care to say anything else about that book, TLC? There's not much point posting if you're only going to say the title.

I've got Kafka On The Shore (same author) sitting on my desk for reading after my current project

Good God man, finish that project and read that book! My local library only has 3 of his books, I might ask them to order them from around the county.

Which of his have you read again?

If you haven't read Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World I suggest you read that one ASAP.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#62 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:58 AM

Care to say anything else about that book, TLC? There's not much point posting if you're only going to say the title.

I've got Kafka On The Shore (same author) sitting on my desk for reading after my current project

Good God man, finish that project and read that book! My local library only has 3 of his books, I might ask them to order them from around the county.

Which of his have you read again?

If you haven't read Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World I suggest you read that one ASAP.

That's the top priority on my list!
I've read Norwegian Wood, Kafka on the Shore and Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman.

Well, I'm not at school today, so I guess I should read all of/most of The Great Gatsby. That should be fun :p

#63 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 05 October 2009 - 02:29 PM

I've only read South of the Border, West of the Sun and After the Quake so far. I may skip out poor old Stapledon in favour of Murakami. It's all very good stuff. I shall make a list of Murakami books to get hold of as Christmas presents. (Being poor sucks.)
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#64 Rafv Nin IV

Rafv Nin IV

Vermin of Revora

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • Projects:RPG Frontier

Posted 06 October 2009 - 01:17 AM

Just got Adam Smith's The Wealth of Nations from the library yesterday. Nothing like a good centuries-old classic.

Posted Image

#65 kukuruza

kukuruza
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 09:27 AM

I read to Harry Potera's book!!! Very much it is pleasant to me, because it always adventures)

#66 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 08 November 2009 - 04:25 AM

I just picked up The Digital Fortress and I've finally got volume 6 of Yotsuba. wheee.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#67 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 08 November 2009 - 06:40 AM

And Another Thing

#68 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:32 AM

The Bell Jar, by Syliva Plath. I'm halfway through it and so far I think it's a pleasant, amusing book with some serious underlying themes.

Edited by Puppeteer, 08 November 2009 - 10:33 AM.

#69 Florisz

Florisz

The Young Reindeer

• Project Team
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 11:48 AM

This thread.
Posted Image

#70 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 11:54 AM

Ugh, Sylvia Plath? I was never a fan. Anyway:

Utopia, by Sir Thomas More. Kickin' it old school.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#71 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:11 PM

Not a fan of Plath, Vortigern? Why's that?
I finished the Bell Jar a couple of days ago, and I loved it! It's incredible! It's brilliantly depressing and depressingly brilliant. I'm certainly a fan. Our literature club meets next week.
Before the next book is set, I'm going to read 'Bonfire of the Vanities' by Tom Wolfe. It's a long read... and no, I haven't seen the film.

#72 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:19 PM

The Bell Jar is really good... have you really read things by her, Vort? Because I think The Bell Jar is her only novel and you mention her in a way that insinuates she's written plenty.

In the last months I've read 1984, which I hated, Great Expectations, which I loved, the His Dark Materials trilogy, which I adored, the Picture of Dorian Gray, which I loved, and a couple of Dutch novels by a writer called Bernlef. He's really good. I've also finished Murakami's Kafka on the Shore and read the last of his published short stories. All that's left now is After Dark, and then I'll have read all he's published so far.

Edit: Oh, and I forgot, I've also just read a book by a Flemish writer called Hubert Lampo. ''The Coming of Joachim Stiller''. It's a truly amazing work of magic realism.

Oh and Puppet, have you read Hard-boiled Wonderland yet?

Edited by Matias, 12 November 2009 - 10:22 PM.

#73 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:26 PM

the His Dark Materials trilogy, which I adored

:sleep:
Had you read it before?
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#74 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:32 PM

Great Expectations... Picture of Dorian Gray

That's in my to-read pile, I've got a whole bunch of books cluttering my bedroom that I want to read.
I haven't looked in my local library. When I've read BotV and the next lit. club book, I'll look in the other libraries in the county.

#75 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:38 PM

the His Dark Materials trilogy, which I adored

:sleep:
Had you read it before?

Nope, I had read the Dutch translation of The Golden Compass before, years ago, but never more than that.

Bonfire of the Vanities is pretty good, but I'm not a huge fan of his style. I liked the Electric Kool-aid Acid Test though, where he documents Ken Kesey and his group of hippies. The Picture of Dorian Gray is really good, by the way. Really good. The sheer amount of terrible decadence and debauchery that is laced all across the novel is amazing.

Edited by Matias, 12 November 2009 - 10:39 PM.

#76 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:59 PM

I read the Bell Jar, and it really didn't appeal to me. I guess depressing material just doesn't fly with me. I'm too cheerful.

Kafka On The Shore was weird. Good, but weird. In a way it was very similar to the other Murakami novels I've read, but in many ways it was completely different and weird as hell. I need to get my hands on a copy of Dorian Gray, now that you mention it. It's rather difficult around here, though, because there's not a fiction library anywhere I can find. Four reference libraries, but no fiction. Alas.

#77 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 13 November 2009 - 12:29 AM

And Another Thing

The Jeremy Clarskson book? He anthologises all his Sunday Times articles for the year. That was one of his. I expect he'll release one in time for Christmas...something to ask my grandad to buy me. :sleep:

#78 Downfall

Downfall

Scenarist

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  There is one?

Posted 23 November 2009 - 06:03 AM

The Picture of Dorian Gray is really good, by the way. Really good. The sheer amount of terrible decadence and debauchery that is laced all across the novel is amazing.

I just finished that a week ago. There is just something about 19th cenutry novels/book/sotries I really like.
"Human beings make strange fauna and flora. From a distance they appear negligible; up close they are apt to appear ugly and malicious."
Henry Miller, Tropic of Cancer

Posted Image

Posted Image

#79 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux

Posted 23 November 2009 - 08:16 PM

I'd like more evidence that Landene is a bot before I take action - I wanted to let you guys know I'm not ignoring Landene.

I've decided BotV can wait until Christmas, because the free time can mean that I'll be able to devote myself to it (aside from revision for January exams). I'm going to start Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness.

#80 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 08:22 PM

Heart of Darkness is great, and that guy is definately a bot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users