Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:49 PM

Just finished Bleak House by Charles Dickens. Finally, though overall enjoyable.
I can now concentrate on my other books :p

#162 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:54 AM

I recently started reading The Wheel of Time series. Currently halfway the first book.
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#163 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:24 PM

As fantasy goes, it's pretty straightforward stuff. Reasonably well written, comprehensible plotlines (for the most part), but it's all a bit typical, if you know what I mean. I remember trying to describe them to a friend of mine when I was reading them, and he was able to blindly guess most of the character details and developments just from a fairly standard knowledge of fantasy novels. Overall, enjoyable, but they're never going to blow you away.

My copy of John Gardner's Grendel finally arrived this morning, so I'm just starting on that.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#164 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:41 PM

To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf. It's wonderful - the narrative style, the psychological depth, the moral relativism... I must make an effort to read more modernism.

#165 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Job:Leader

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:49 PM

Read it, loved it.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#166 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:08 PM

So uh, been reading an A+ exam book. XD

Also, Deception Point.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#167 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  Greedy capitalist and cynical bastard.

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:55 PM

Finished Ender's Game (great), Magician: Master (meh), and Life, the Universe and Everything (enjoyable, though not as much as The Restaurant at the End of the Universe), currently reading A Game of Thrones.

Edited by Allathar, 12 May 2011 - 12:59 PM.

It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#168 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:04 PM

I really enjoyed Ender's Game, and Speaker for the Dead even more so. And I really enjoyed Xenocide up until the end, when I came to realise why XKCD keeps insisting it's not as good as the first two. But I finished the series anyway, in pretty damn quick time I might add.

Currently reading about a billion different versions of Beowulf and about a billion more articles on the matter. Dissertations are apparently very time-consuming. I'm also slowly making my way through Curing Hiccups With Small Fires: A Delightful Miscellany of Great British Eccentrics by Karl Shaw, which is exactly what is claims to be: a book about mad dead British people. Rather entertaining stuff.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#169 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:15 PM

I basically just bought the entire Honorverse collection (I had previously read them in ebook form). I'm up to Mission of Honor now, but I've diverted onto the spinoff extras. Currently reading Torch of Freedom. Then got the five anthologies to do...

Once I've done all of those I'll probably re-read everything Conn Iggulden ever wrote about Caesar and Genghis Khan. That should see me through my holiday to Cuba. :)

#170 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 14 May 2011 - 02:25 PM

Continuing my quest to finish reading the Discworld series. Horribly out of order, of course, but since the action is episodic it doesn't seem to matter much...
BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#171 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:48 PM

I've just finished One Flew Over the Cuckoo Nest and Brighton Rock. And now I'm reading Othello. It's taken me between one and two hours to read the first act, but it's worth it. All I can keep thinking is 'I wish that we'd spent a year studying and discussing this and not The Winter's Tale for A2'.

Edited by Puppeteer, 17 June 2011 - 08:49 PM.

#172 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 03:09 AM

Having seen Winter's Tale and performed in Othello (I was Montano, in case anyone is curious), I have to agree that Othello is much more interesting. The only memorable thing in Winter's Tale was "Exit, pursued by a bear." :p

That said, I'm starting on Richard III in preparation for performing it later this summer. It's confusing as hell on the first read-through--my knowledge of British history extends to Agincourt and the Battle of Hastings, in that order--and the Ian McKellen movie version didn't help at all. Who dies dramatically to cool jazz? Other than everyone in that film...

#173 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:13 PM

Now starting on Machiavelli's The Prince. A very interesting read.

#174 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 08:33 AM

Getting back into my giant Lovecraft book. Currently on The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath.

#175 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Job:Leader

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:54 AM

I've been in a serious re-reading mood lately. Yesterday the two books that were in my coat pockets were The Hobbit and Notebooks of Malte Laurids Brigge. Very much opposite ends of the spectrum.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#176 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:04 PM

I'm just starting Pride and Prejudice. Already the satire is very biting. The first chapter/paragraph is particularly humorous!

#177 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux

Posted 11 September 2011 - 04:06 PM

I realised that recently the only books I've been reading have been for university and have been Old English and Old English translations. So I'm hoping to get through The Brothers Karamazov before I go. I also want to reread Crime and Punishment but it won't happen - Karamazov is 870 pages and I'm only reading it in the mornings/at night. 80 pages in and I already remember why I like Dostoyevsky so much!
Uni has specified that I also reread Heart of Darkness (again? well if I must :good: ) and that I read Genesis and St. John's Gospel.

Edited by Puppeteer, 11 September 2011 - 04:07 PM.

#178 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 04:28 PM

Just finished China Miéville's Kraken. I love that guy. His mind must be a fun place to live.

#179 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:27 AM

Judging by how Perdido Street Station went, I wouldn't say so. Heh. ... A Miéville joke? Yes, please. But I don't know where this recent revival of Steampunk suddenly came from. Seems to be the theme of the decade. Guess it beats being Bronie...

#180 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:40 PM

I haven't read any of his more steampunk-y stuff, but I do intend to sooner or later. Anyway, I think it's partly that graphic novels have taken off and steampunk looks really cool (I'm pretty sure there are a few steampunk graphics out there, right?) or possibly just because steampunk looks really cool. It does. There is no getting away from that.

Anyway, now reading Around The World In Eighty Days. Phileas Fogg, man. What a fucking joker. :grin:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users