First of all, I intended to make this topic as a guideline for new players. However, each player might not be able to fully implement tactics from others. Skill can be developed in time. Learning from mistake is also important. I hope this would be useful.Important facts when playing Contra/ZH
It is very important to expand your base. In order to attain good money-flow during early stage of the game, at least 2 supplylines are needed. Player should expand to new supply depot nearby and hold it. If one supplyline is disrupted, you can rebuild using the second supplyline. Many new players don't do that even though I told them to do it when I play with them. If possible, forward outposts should be built to support continuous attacks of your enemy and siege them.
- Defense structures
Defense structures are quite powerful in normal ZH but not in Contra. It is quite useful while holding chokepoint as support for combat units there. You need combat units to hold those positions not only defense structures. GLA can use different kind of defense structures to help holding the line but there should be units help guarding it. Defense structures are vulnerable against artillery. You should put some counter-artillery units there too. Use some scout units to help defending stealthed attack.
- Scouting/Stealth detection
Scouting is quite important. It helps determine what tactic should be used. Defensively, scout units are used to prevent sneak attack from various stealthed units. Keep at least one scout unit at the each base entrance. Many new players don't scout before rolling in. This is a big mistake. Use spy drone or sentry drone (USA), radar van+camo upgrade (GLA), and listening post (China). In some case, infantries can help you scout too (Hero is a good choice for scout if he/she is free of duty).
Contra 007, minefield is much more effective since only some units can detect it. It can defend a structure against suicide units and ideal choice for a trap. If suspecting a minefield, bring some clearer (they are listed in Contra website) or force firing on suspected location (if necessary). Minefield can help you detect and defend against infiltration because most hero unit can detect minfield and if your minefield is detected, you will be warned.
- Secondary supply source
Secondary (and unlimited) supply source is vital in late game. But in early game, you should spend more money on units and another supplyline while slowly building these expensive things. Build them when you have SPARE money.
Many new players like to use tanks and massing units instead of tactics (it's easy to do, of course). But in Contra, losing units to your enemy is bad idea because it will give your enemy experience. Artillery can minimize those losses if use properly. They're weak but you can gain experience without losing any to your enemy with them. Personally, I defend my artillery with frontal wall of tanks or vehicles. I only use them without any escort when playing as GLA (except Assault general) since they're fast (must keep them moving or they'll be dead). Some new players complain when they lost tank columns fighting my artilleries. They only lost them because they use brute force vs tactic.
- Some tips using infantry
As Creator stated (in Contra web), infantry died in large number while waiting (or moving) not while attacking. I personally use them to rear guard my artillery or to screen incoming attack (or in some case sneak attacking if they're stealthed). Using transport vehicles will minimize their loss too. Use them with armored support (APC or tank) to maximize their effectiveness.
Infiltration is tactic that requires a lot of practice and micro-management. Oftenly, hero unit is used in such action. The purpose is to disrupt enemy operation. It's highly effective against new players since there will be gaps in their defense unlike experienced ones who will surely close that gaps. But infiltration can be done other way as well. It has high success if you infiltrate enemy base after an attack (which clears out defensive buildings and detectors). If you aren't detected, go for the most important building first. This is only chance because once they know about your infiltration, they will be prepared next time. If you follow a success infiltration with an attack, it would be very helpful to your victory.
- Strong point
Sometimes you might encounter an enemy that is stronger than you (factionally like Toxin vs Cyber or Cyber vs Tank). You have to rely on Hit-&-Run to survive. Creating a strong point will help you survive long enough to gain advantage. For example, Cyber gen drones are deactivated in ECM field and Tank gen has ECM at rank 1. The most effective units are AMOS which is fragile. Strong point (in this case Patriots and missile troopers) is created to stall your enemy while AMOS is doing its job. There are many variants of strong point. USA building with security system can be a strong point as well. China can use bunkers and def structures. GLA can use tunnel combined with defense sites. Strong point can be used in offensive too (as in Siege or Long-arm strategy on Contra website).
It's better to retreat than fighting a losing battle in Contra because it would prevent your enemy from gaining free experience. Some people may even think that those units would die anyway while retreating and left them there. This is true in only some cases (for example, retreating tanks pursued by heli). To minimize losses during the retreat, rear guard units are required as well as formation movement. Weak artillery and AA units needed to retreat first while assault group is covering their retreat. But don't go too far, if you're still in combat zone. You need those units to provide cover for your assault group. You may leave a few units in assault group to draw enemy away from your retreating force or just stall the pursuing force for a while (sacrificing a few for a whole). Once the assault group is retreated, you must move away to safe zone (reinforcement assembly area or strong point) as quickly as possible. This time, your group can move more freely but I recommend that you keep the assault group protecting the rear until you're in the safe zone. The easiest way to implement such retreat is to assign numbers to each groups for quick command. It's a bit tricky but it would give you more chance to defeat the enemy.
Counterattack is one of common combat stategy. The effect of this strategy could vary, depending on which target you choose to counterattack. The following list is possible result from counterattack.
(1) It can be used to defend your base from attacking enemy by counterattacking the attacking enemy force outside your base.
(2) Drawing enemy attention away from your important locations by attacking your enemy flank.
(3) And sometimes it can even be used to achieve victory by counterattacking with large force when your enemy is exhausted (usually after unsuccessful attack).
Normally, you should prepare a reserve force for counterattack or defending against enemy counterattack. Don't ever leave your base vulnerable without defending force (unless you're sure that the enemy can't attack you in anyway).
- Experience Point
Many new players have high tendency to commit large number of units in an assault and don't care for any loss. This is not a good tactic in Contra because of rank-teching system. Destroying each unit gains experience point for you and it slowly gives you rank. The more you lose by your enemy hands, the more technology they would gain. Anyone with superior technology usually gains upper hands as powerful strikes or technology can be utilized. Sometimes, it's OK to lose some units to gain some advantages later. So, it is recommended to think ahead before attacking your enemy. Needless losses can bring you closer to defeat in Contra much more than in original ZH.Common Tactics and Tips from Contra website
for common tactics and tips from Contra website.Some tips combating Stealth General
- Use beacon to mark his key structures (only possible in multiplayer and beacon limit is 3).
- Try to block his exit path (don't let him sneak out or you will be in big trouble).
- Heighten your base security as he can always sneak in and cause damage (security systems and land mines are good for the job).
- Keep checking your scouts (which are stealth) since Stealth Gen Radar Van can out-range most scout units (except Listening post). If you're detected, move your scouts (he can use 'destroy Radar' ability) and start to hunt for Radar Van. (Thanks to dcesarec, edited & supplemented by me)Fuel tube trap
Fuel tube (Flame gen) can be used to effectively defend your area.
- Build several of them (they are cheap) in scatter pattern around your kill-zone.
- Station a tank battlegroup behind the kill-zone and some artilleries behind your tank or at the flanking position.
- When the enemy attacks, retreat your tank battlegroup a bit to lure the enemy in.
- Wait until enemy battlegroup is on top of the tube before spilling fuel. Spill a few at a time.
- Fire your weapon on the fuel.
- If the enemy survives, spill a few more tubes and do the same.
- Finish your enemy with your battlegroup.
There is another variant of this tactic. Instead of using a battlegroup, use Flame Turret. This variant is good guarding the back entrance. The drawback is that if the Turret is detected (with ground detector units), the enemy would suspect about fuel tube trap. Hence, they would bring some mine clearer up.Some strategy playing GLA
GLA has weak units with considerable firepower if use properly. Playing GLA effectively requires micro-managing and here are some tips about GLA.
- Avoid direct assault
Though GLA has cheap units, direct assault is something GLA shouldn't rely on. It costs too much and also gives enemy a lot of experience to gain tech.
- Trick & Flank
Try luring enemy to the front and sneaking a worker to a flank and build a tunnel (or you can use Digger to provide you free tunnel when play as Toxin or Assault). When the enemy concentrate on the front, you would then switch your force to attack the flank, destroying as many unprotected stuffs before retreating.
- Supply blockade
GLA supplyline is one of the most vulnerable element. A single fast vehicle with machinegun can disrupt GLA resource operation entirely. Using structures to create a defensive blockade would prevent your enemy from rushing in and disrupt your supplyline. Black Market for Toxin is also very useful defending the supply as it can be garrisoned and the other 3 GLA factions can use Black Market to send your frontline troops back to defend the base (it acts as tunnel exit).
- Hidden strong point
GLA defense site can be upgraded with camo net. You can build these things and lure your enemy to follow your units back to a killzone. However, they're not tough and cannot take out large group of enemy by their own. Their main purpose is to slow your enemy down and you might be able to kill them all as a BONUS. Supporting these defense sites with artilleries or some tanks would be helpful to create an effective killzone.
- Lose one territory to gain another
If you expand quickly, GLA can control a lot of territory around the map. Your enemy would try to retake it. If you think your force can't handle a large attacking force, you have 2 choices; retreat to your second line of defense or stall your enemy. Retreat is a good thing to do if you haven't prepared an attacking force. Stall would distract your enemy attention to that particular battlezone when you attack another zone. When the enemy shift his attention to your attacking, your stalling force can be reinforced (using tunnel) and retake the territory or even advance to enemy territory.
- Command Truck: Early or later?
In Contra, command center has turned into a vehicle. It has unique weapon for each GLA faction. However, there is little need for it in rank 1-2 (except Stealth Gen which has GPS scrambler at beginning) if you're not planning to use any special power such as clear garrison. You should rather build up your economy to a point when $1500 is not a big deal and then build it. If you're going to build it early, then you should really need them for something useful.
- Strafing Artillery
GLA has one of the most effective early artillery in Contra, Mortar (except Assault Gen). Mortar is weak but it's also very fast. To fully utilize it's advantage, you need to control them carefully. A group of 6 has effective firepower and wouldn't cause movement problem (sticking with one another while moving). When attack, they should keep moving side-way comparing to enemy movement (or you can do a zig-zag if you like) to allow Mortar group to fire effectively while avoiding serious casualties. This movement is also good against enemy artillery (especially those that need to stop before firing). You can circle around enemy artillery and bust them to wreckage in short time.
- Amphibious Infiltration
Most people tend to forget that BTR or Mobile Rig can cross water (including me). Such infiltration can cause serious damage if an attack force is prepared properly. As soon as the tunnel is ready, the assault force should be deployed to cause as much damage as possible before being repelled. If possible, build up a strong point here to continue attacking your enemy.
- Fake Building
Many people might overlook fake building usefulness. In Contra, fake building can be built much faster than real one. However, it also costs a little bit more. If you plan to rush, it might worth a few extra money putting on it. Or if you expect your enemy to rush quickly, it might save your day. Timing is very important in RTS and more so in early game.Cyber Gen Guideline
- Rushing USA can be done using stinger drones or Avengers. Using Avenger is more effective to take out tough air units (chinook) while stinger drones can persist and disrupt your enemy for a longer peroid (stinger drone tends to stay on target even the parent vehicle is moving away).
- Cyber Chinook can be used in combat as well. Upgrading with drone and it can kill unprotected enemy units (thanks to dcesarec).
- Burton, Storm Trooper, and Cyborg Commando are very powerful. Do not underestimate them.
- Leech can disrupt your enemy early. It costs $600 but it can steal money $50 per half a sec. So, in about 6 seconds you would gain as much as the leech costs. Try moving in from the flank and choose unprotected supply.
- Watch out for ECM during early game. Your entire drone force can be disabled and destroyed because of it. At rank 3, Advance Transmission Code upgrade can prevent this (by prolonging disabling time from instantly to minutes).
- Spider Tank can travel across cliff-like terrain.
- Energy weapon (Roboraptor/Spider Tank/Fafnir) can pass through SWG shield.Drop pod Assault
Drop pod assault can be a very effective tool against your enemy if you use it correctly. Otherwise, it can be disastrous to you. Unlike many special powers (like China Artillery Barrage), which do instant damage, Drop pod assault would force the enemy to reallocate their forces. It's like using divide and conquer tactic against your enemy. It would be more effective against an opponent with poor micro-management skill (hence more effective vs humans than AIs). The drop pod assault can be launched to draw enemy force away from the main attack route or to assault your enemy when their force is elsewhere (such as on offensive). Stormtroopers can be highly effective against AT units (received only 25% of actual damage) but quite vulnerable to anti-infantry weapons (standard rifle infantries can deal with them if you have large number of these riflemen). Once the drop pods are launched, you should target enemy infrastructures as quickly as you can. If you have Cyborg Commando pod with you, it would greatly enhance your success against your enemy.
Here are possible results of Drop pod assault:
- Force enemy to retreat/halt an offensive.
- Cripple enemy infrastructures, paving a way for your offensive.
- Separate enemy forces, allowing a victory at one side.
- Distract your enemy for your infiltration/sneak-attack.
- Defeat your enemy.
- Giving your enemy EXP (from improper drop pod assault).
Hence, Drop pod assault has to be used with careful planning and thinking ahead.Airforce Gen Strategic Guideline
This is basic overall guideline for new player who wants to play AFG effectively.
- Find out who is your enemy (scan your enemy start loc).
- Choose between War Factory or Lev pad.
1. If your enemy is vehicle-oriented, build Lev pad (use F-18).
2. If your enemy is infantry-oriented, build War Factory (use Humvee). *Don't forget to build Lev pad later for Combat Chinook.
3. In a mirror match, it might be better to build War Factory (for Avenger).
4. For rushing, check "Destroying the Supply" topic below.
- Slow your enemy down somehow (strike enemy dozer and supply).
- Create a strong point and use it as an attack path.
- Keep up your economy up.
- Keep attacking carefully both from air and ground (try not to lose any aircraft by choosing your target wisely).Destroying the Supply
Destroying enemy supply early is a key to AFG victory. Build your Lev Pad as quickly as you can. Keep destroying enemy supply while you build up your force and also try to minimize your loss.
- 4 F16XL can bring down any faction supply building or vehicle with full salvo. You can bring 5 to be sure.
- Against GLA, 3 F18 is better (GLA supply vehicle can move and force the F16 missile to miss).Here are some tips.
- Humvee with TOW missile is one of the most useful units (universal AA clearer).
- To defend, you might need to place your structure carefully (blocking enemy path) and upgrade security system (gunning them down).
- Strong point would help your units survive longer, thus killing more enemy.
- C27 Spartan is useful reinforcing your strong points or disrupting your enemy behind the line.
- SLID is good due to its abilities to destroy missile and increase aircraft attack range. Using it with F16XL or Chimera would give the best result (these two already have long range).
- Assigning number to a group of units (especially aircrafts) is something you should do.
- You need 2 F-18 to destroy standard AA vehicle and only 1 for standard tank.
- If the enemy has stealth units in an area and your sentry drone can't get in, use Comanche to launch spy drone toward it.
- AFG sentry drone can detect all except air (Avenger would do that for you).AFG vs Tank Gen
- Early F18 can destroy enemy dozer and buy you some time.
- F18 is not very useful if the enemy use ECM, no need to waste money on them in that case.
- Save your money for mass MCVs and infantries to counter enemy tanks.
- Free infantries from C27 Spartan will save your life.
- To defend, attack enemy force before they reach your base and retreat to base def. Target ECM and AA as first priority.
- Defend and try to disrupt enemy supplyline if possible until rank 3.
- Use F35 to destroy enemy tanks (3 per group can destroy a group of gattlings).
- Use target designator to defend and attack.
- The rest is up to you.Decoy
(thanks to dcesarec)
In a multiplayer match against human, there is a way to protect your helicopter assault force against a few AA structures & units (which normally can kill your helicopter with ease). AFG comanche has ability to launch free spy drone (which is very useful detecting stealth ground units and scouting). If you have multiple comanche, you can assign numbers to them and order each group to launch spy drones at different spots near enemy position (this is important or all drones would be destroy at once) to draw enemy AA fire toward those drones before assaulting from the air. Human player can't target each fast moving helicopter effectively, thus your helicopters would live longer in such assault.Tank Gen TacticalTips
- Barrack is not necessary at start unless there are 2 or more easy-to-capture oil rigs. Barrack can be built later once you are ready to build hackers.
- Hit-&-Run is not a proper tactic for Tank Gen since most of his units are slow.
- To effectively use Dragon rush, avoid any tank or large number of AT infantries. Dragon tank is much weaker but also much faster in Contra.
- Each strike force should have at least 5 tanks to gain horde bonus, which would improve your tank capability a lot.
- Tank Gen has early propaganda vehicle and ECM. Use them properly.
- ECM is very effective against USA (except Laser), which rely on missile-based AT weapon.
- Single ECM can deviate 3-4 missiles. Use multiple ECM in combination to help defend against lots of missiles.
- If you have no Anti-infantry units and the enemy is atacking with AT infantries, you may sacrifice a few tanks, crushing those infantries, to save the rest.
- ZTZ104 long range mode is good covering for your force when retreat. It can outrange most pursuing tanks.
- Try to create a strong supplyline before rank 3. Overlord chasis tanks are very money-consuming.
- Helix can be a great support for your tank force if used properly (but again it's expensive). Don't underestimate them.Gauss Cannon Rush
(thanks to dcesarec, edited by Casojin)
Many people underestimate this tactic, thinking that only Superweapon General can implement defense structure rush, but Tank generals rush is also good because Gauss can easily take out infantry, vehicle and structure too, so its the best base defense rush for China factions. Rush has two variants, depending on size of the map and where is your opponent.
- If opponent is located near your base. Use first dozer to build Power plant as soon as possible and move second dozer into enemy base. You don't need to put Gauss right in center of the base or attack his economy and risk a failure of your rush due to his missile infantry. Simply put Gauss near some structures and you will get protection from him, enable yourself to build second Gauss (now you can get closer while first Gauss is protecting you and block enemy to go in your base and to rush you)...one by one, you can surround enemy base and destroy him.
- In large maps, your opponent is far away from you. Move first dozer into his base, don't build power plant yet or you will loose precious time needed for rush. As soon as the second dozer is built, order him to build power plant. With any luck you get equal time while your first dozer gets in enemy base and power plant is also built. Then you can start to build Gauss. In this variant i strongly recommend to purchase "repair" power and to monitor your dozer. If he is attacked with infantry, wait until he gets low on health, and repair him with this power.Infantry Gen TacticsBase defense
Infantry Gen has one of the best defensive faction in Contra. Powerplant and Command Center can be garrisoned in addition to Fortified Bunker. His defense can deal with most attack in rank 1-2 stage. However, it requires careful deployment. Here are what you should do.
- Anticipate enemy attack directions.
- Place bunkers or powerplants at those paths.
- Put some troops in it. A few for backdoor is enough while main attack path would require more than that.
- Deploy numbers of artillery units behind those bunkers.
- Deploy a few listening posts if your enemy has stealth (this must be done after rank 3 anyway).
- It would be wise to prepare some extra troops in reserve in case the enemy breaks your first line of defense.Jammer Crawler
This tactic can be used when playing as Infantry Gen. Put 3 THs + 1 Jammer into Gattling Crawler. The gattling cannon has long-range and capable of dealing with most light units trying to hit-&-run. Jammer can disrupt your enemy greatly. Supported with Assault Crawler and Howitzers, this combination is highly effective against light-unit-based factions. The jammer could also prevent your enemy (human player only) from producing units to resist.Troop Crawler
Please visit Creator's topic here
to maximize Troop Crawler usage.Extending fortification
In online games, lag can ruin your Troop Crawler micromanagement. So, this is an alternative for Infantry Gen attack.
Extending fortification is done by expand your base toward your enemy. It requires a lot of resources but it is quite great in the long run. You should secure supply depots as fast as you can to support your fortification. Choose your strong point as a starting point for this tactic and slowly extend your defense forward. It can be extended from forward base as well as your main base. Build bunkers, troops, artillery and production facilities as you extend your fortification in order to support your war effort. Once you reach the frontline (not possible to extend the defense because your enemy is attacking), use your units to attack from this strong point and crush your enemy (so that you can win or continue to extend your fortification).Vehicle Disabler
Sometimes, Infantry Gen might encounter Hit-&-Run raid or structure disabling vehicles. Thus, infantry general could be greatly weakened. However, there is a way to counter this. Super hacker has vehicle disabling ability. Normally, people only use hacker for money generating but he can also be used as def. Put hacker behind defensive line or inside a bunker can be quite effective against a few Microwave tanks or Hit-&-Run raid (as it disables the vehicle inside your firing range). It might cost you some more but if you don't have money problem, this can be helpful.Demo Gen tips
(requested by thats me)
Basic tips are written on Contra website at this section
. He's a bit tricky to play but as it's said on the website, it's much harder to defend from Demo Gen once he reached higher level.
- If tech structures are not too far from you, send a rebel and place booby traps on them. If possible, place booby traps on tech buildings near your enemy.
- Camouflage upgrade is vital. Elite Stealth Terrorist is very deadly.
- Use mine to protect your base in early stage. Combine it with defense site and some units to protect it from mine clearer.
- Economy is the most important thing because you need constant money flow to build constant flow of suicide units.
- AA mine can save your day from sneak attack from the air.
- Stealth Rebels are useful if you can sneak them into enemy base. They can place TNT. Use this to damage enemy infrastructures.
- Rebel Biker is very useful destroying enemy supply collector and dozer (with TNT attack).
- Scout your target properly before sending in your suicide units. If you're using stealth suicide units, a single detector could ruin your plan.
- Bomb trucks no longer damage one another when explode. Send them in group for effectiveness.
- Keep the pressure on your enemy up and they'll surrender in time.Stealth Terrorist Attack
(thanks to Stalker, supplemented by Casojin)
Stealth Terrorists of Demo gen are quite powerful and can be produced quickly. However, this tactic is quite risky if it is used against aggressive player.
- Build Radar > Worker >Supply > Supply
- Scout your enemy with Radar Van + camo net
- Build 2 barracks.
- Take 2 supply depots (at least 5 workers each)
- One barrack upgrades Camouflage.
- Continuously train terrorists and send them to attack your enemy once they're stealth.
It is risky though. If your enemy rushes you and destroy your supply, you would be vulnerable to further attacks.Stealth Gen tactics
Stealth Gen utilizes fast and stealth but weak units with great firepower. His attack requires micro-management or it would not succeed (or succeed with heavy casualties). Every units can remain undetected if the player plays properly. Here are some tips.
- Upgrade camouflage (for your infantry) as quickly as possible
- Jihad warrior can kill most infantries in 2 shots but the range is short and reload time is slow. Use them in pair for effectiveness.
- Stealth Terrorist is quite useful surprising your enemy.
- When you're defending an area with vehicles, create some fake units to confuse your enemy. You might gain free exp from this.
- Sneak into enemy base early and build a tunnel there would greatly improve your chance of winning.
- Stealth tunnel network can be told to hold-fire to avoid detection.
- Build several stealth outpost would increase your chance of survival.
- For the safety of your supplyline, use GPS scrambler on your supply stash.
- During early stage of the game, try to use GPS scrambler on large group of units for effectiveness.
- HIT HARD & RUN FASTCapturing enemy base
(thanks to dcesarec)
This tactic could provide easy victory against human opponent if use properly. The Command Truck can train worker and Jihad warrior. Sneaking the Command Truck into enemy base would be like moving a mobile factory there.
- Start the tactic by building normal starting stuff for Stealth Gen (Worker > Supply Stash > Command Truck > Radar Van).
- Build your base and economy. Try to make sure that your economy is not disrupted. Upgrade Capture building.
- Use GPS Scrambler on Command Truck (and other units too for effectiveness). * If you scramble a Radar van, it would be great for this tactic.
- Move Command Truck (and Radar van) behind enemy base, avoiding any detector or area with number of units.
- Build some Jihad warriors from Command Truck and move them toward enemy buildings. Build worker for further plan.
- Order those Jihad warriors to capture enemy buildings at once.
- Build a tunnel and forward outpost inside enemy base (try to build a bit further from enemy line-of-sight). This would ensure your victory (or give you advantage if the capturing fails).
* Try to avoid detection until your ready to ambush.Technical Terror Rush
for Demo/Toxin Gen and limited version of Stealth Gen
Technical Terror Rush is one of the most used rush tactic by skilled GLA players. It is almost similar to classic GLA rush (Technical + RPG) but it utilizes Terrorists instead of RPG Troopers. It can cripple enemy supplyline and production repeatedly if use expertly but can be a loss of use improperly. It is quite effective vs USA and China but less effective vs GLA. Here is what you need to do.
- Build Radar Van first to scout for weak point
- Build Barrack as fast as you can
- Build Arms Dealer
- Train 5 Terrorists and a Technical (you can use free tunnel terrorists as Demo)
- Load Terrorists into Technical and move them toward unprotected flank
- Move near (but not too close in case of China because of mine upgrade) supply center and unload Terrorists to destroy it
- Get your Technical away and do the same with other supply if possible
* 4 Terrorists are enough to take down a supply but get 5 to ensure the success (you can sacrifice one to clear China mines for other 4)
* For Stealth Gen, you need more than 1 Gun Buggy as it can only transport 2 troops
* If your Technical is destroyed during the way, those Terrorists are high likely to be lost (slow + weak = vulnerable to anti-inf units)
* You may use Terror Bike but it deals less damage per Bike and costs more (not counting hard to use effectively due to 007 Terror Bike bug)Battle Bus
for Demo and Assault Gen only
Battle Bus is one of the best raiding unit for GLA at Rank 3. It has speed and armor plus variety of weapon choices (depend on troops inside). However, some skill is required to use it properly. Like many GLA vehicles, it is not a tanking unit. It can survive more attack than other GLA vehicles but you still need to move it around (that's why I called it raiding unit). Loaded with AT troops, it can be used to strafe enemy tank columns (flank is better choice than front). Loaded with Stinger troops, it can be a fast AA unit. There is one drawback for Battle Bus though (possible bug with ZH) as a group of them tends to block one another movement, thus making them more vulnerable to artillery and pursuing enemy force. Small group of them could be effective if use properly (raid and raid). Use them in combination of flanking tunnel network and you could cause a mess behind enemy lines.Steal and Destroy
(Thanks to dcesarec)
When playing multiplayer as China, you can use steal money and then bombard your enemy supply with artillery barrage. This would disrupt your enemy economy to an extent. Not all China factions can use this ability though.Illusive Attack (Stealth Gen)
(Thanks to Arcadian Daze, edited & supplemented by me)
This strategy is to utilze fake units and real units in an attack. First, you should have tunnels ready near your target. Then use fake units to lure enemy out from one direction (I suggest adding a few real units to the group to actually attack and draw enemy attention). Once the enemy force is lured out, the real unit group should attack as swiftly as possible. The enemy would retreat their force to defend. Don't engage them directly unless you're sure that you can destroy them before you take losses. Then you can switch positions of fake and real groups using tunnels to strike again.
NOTE: Experienced players could deal with this without much problem by utilizing forward scouts and multiple mobile defensive battlegroups.Laser Gen tips
- Power is key. It's good to have at least 50-100% power reserve.
- Each unit has as much firepower as Nuke Gen unit but no area effect. Use them wisely.
- Comanche rush is effective against enemy who has weak early AA and good at taking out enemy early expansion.
- Scout for enemy AA before doing any Comanche rush.
- When attacking with tanks, don't forget Comanche support. Destroy their AA with tanks and let Comanche do the rest.
- ARV is very useful. Always keep one in your tank group.
- Don't under-estimate Humvee raid (with Laser Defender who never misses his target).
- Avenger and MTHEL can take out big missiles.
- Solar Panel is something you should upgrade.
You guys can share your tactic and strategy here as well as Q&A.
Edited by Casojin, 05 January 2011 - 02:08 AM.