Strategy Topic

• Please log in to reply
433 replies to this topic

#401 kkasll

kkasll
  • Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:20 PM

Hi , i have created a new 1v1 map , my first one , i hope you like it ,please give it a try and come back with improvement suggestions .
I will continue to create new maps...suggests what kind of maps would you like to play in.
Computer AI is included...

Please share your thoughts so i can improve my skill's.

I have problems with creating lakes , rivers etc... something goes wrong with the water texture.

Map:
http://www.2shared.c...v/FirstTry.html

Edited by kkasll, 20 August 2011 - 10:34 PM.

#402 lil tasman

lil tasman

CnC Mapper

• Hosted
  • 903 posts
  • Projects:Contra 008, Fallout Wars
  •  Contra 008 Wallpapers, Advertising and Maps. Fallout Wars AI Coding, Advertising, and Maps.

Posted 20 August 2011 - 10:21 PM

Here is a replay of using hackers in troop crawlers:

http://www.2shared.c...s_Strategy.html
Amat Victoria Curam
Victory Loves Preparation

Posted Image

#403 predator_bg

predator_bg

The predator

• Project Team
  • 2,411 posts
  • Projects:Contra

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:33 AM

Hi , i have created a new 1v1 map , my first one , i hope you like it ,please give it a try and come back with improvement suggestions .
I will continue to create new maps...suggests what kind of maps would you like to play in.

I have problems with creating lakes , rivers etc... something goes wrong with the water texture.

Map:

Seems good for a first try. You made a mistake at the waypoints. For example "Flank1". This waypoint has to go from Player 2 to Player 1. And I think there is only one working Combat Zone with the name "CombatZone". I am not very sure though, ask the others. But this is okay for a first try. :wink_new: Next time when you upload a map, upload the entire folder, not just the .map file. My first try was something like a mission and I was only putting objects and putting textures. I didn't have Internet back then and I was learning everything by myself. Then, when I got my Internet I started reading and testing everything in a test map. My first finished map is now called "Thirsty Snake", which you will see in 008. To make more beautiful maps you have to put in as much textures as you can. When you look at the map preview (the .TGA file) there should be many different colors. But we are posting on "Strategy topic", so anything we post here about maps is off-topic.

#404 kkasll

kkasll
  • Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 12:23 PM

Here is a replay of using hackers in troop crawlers:

http://www.2shared.c...s_Strategy.html

I really love this tactics , its so cool and efficient.

#405 kkasll

kkasll
  • Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 12:27 PM

Map:

Seems good for a first try. You made a mistake at the waypoints. For example "Flank1". This waypoint has to go from Player 2 to Player 1. And I think there is only one working Combat Zone with the name "CombatZone". I am not very sure though, ask the others. But this is okay for a first try. :wink_new: Next time when you upload a map, upload the entire folder, not just the .map file. My first try was something like a mission and I was only putting objects and putting textures. I didn't have Internet back then and I was learning everything by myself. Then, when I got my Internet I started reading and testing everything in a test map. My first finished map is now called "Thirsty Snake", which you will see in 008. To make more beautiful maps you have to put in as much textures as you can. When you look at the map preview (the .TGA file) there should be many different colors. But we are posting on "Strategy topic", so anything we post here about maps is off-topic.

Hmm your right about the off topic thing so this will be my last post here about the map.
Basically i have created a simple 1on1 map without too much crap laying around , it's suppose to be a head on collision map , but yes its very very basic in all.
I have put more thought in the concept rather the design.

And All combat zone's are working , and i might add that the comp-AI is pretty tough.

Edited by kkasll, 21 August 2011 - 12:28 PM.

#406 Guest_leehiufung911_*

Guest_leehiufung911_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:17 AM

hey guys im new to contra, played this for a week or so, and these are my experiences so far......
Townes is definitely my fave general, none of the other generals are as all rounded!

my strategy for townes is as follows:

I think townes is an artillery general.

I rather think that instead of laser comanches, 2-3 libras with 3-4 paladins(or laser tanks), 1 pathfinder (or 2 microwave tanks) an ARV should be the mainforce for townes' army, in the early-middle game.

this combination is very effective, but note that the PALADINS DO NOT FIRE ON BUILDINGS! their job is to keep the libras alive by killing enemy armor. I use comanches in groups of 2-3, only for 4 roles: killing artillery that is trying to get at libras, sneak attacking in the back,early base defense, and killing enemy groups that lack AA (i.e. tank blobs without gatling etc)

I find comanche blobs too un-cost-effective, especially when there are gatling and they drop like flies.

Continue to hit with aforementioned libra group until you can get omega cannons. then, GET ISOTOPE STABILITY! and add 3 omega cannons to a large attack group. get control rods for all of them and set one of them to laser beam mode.

make sure you have paladins as your meatshields, and you can pwn everyone. XDD

I havent tried this strategy against human players yet, so feel free to comment!!! :)

#407 predator_bg

predator_bg

The predator

• Project Team
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:04 AM

Your strategy is good. You can mix your defending units with Missile Defenders.

#408 Guest_leehiufung911_*

Guest_leehiufung911_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2011 - 03:10 PM

i am having problems with this against super weapon, though. it is quite hard to micro everything against artillery and aircraft, and my comanches are dropping like flies with their avengers and stealth fighter bombing my libras
so without paladins/comanches that get through, AMOS wreaks havoc.
and i get a rank 2 while supw get rank 4 :V

any tips?

#409 Casojin

Casojin

Democracy not Dictatorship

• Project Team
  • 2,121 posts
  •  Thinker

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:05 AM

hey guys im new to contra, played this for a week or so, and these are my experiences so far......
Townes is definitely my fave general, none of the other generals are as all rounded!

my strategy for townes is as follows:

I think townes is an artillery general.

I rather think that instead of laser comanches, 2-3 libras with 3-4 paladins(or laser tanks), 1 pathfinder (or 2 microwave tanks) an ARV should be the mainforce for townes' army, in the early-middle game.

this combination is very effective, but note that the PALADINS DO NOT FIRE ON BUILDINGS! their job is to keep the libras alive by killing enemy armor. I use comanches in groups of 2-3, only for 4 roles: killing artillery that is trying to get at libras, sneak attacking in the back,early base defense, and killing enemy groups that lack AA (i.e. tank blobs without gatling etc)

I find comanche blobs too un-cost-effective, especially when there are gatling and they drop like flies.

Continue to hit with aforementioned libra group until you can get omega cannons. then, GET ISOTOPE STABILITY! and add 3 omega cannons to a large attack group. get control rods for all of them and set one of them to laser beam mode.

make sure you have paladins as your meatshields, and you can pwn everyone. XDD

I havent tried this strategy against human players yet, so feel free to comment!!! :)

This tactic is effective vs AI but not quite against human. Laser Gen player usually build Airfield before WF in order to get early comanche (to kill enemy dozer/worker before enemy can build AA).

Comanche should be kept in reserve while your tank force destroy enemy AA (when there is no more AA, well, it's a free-kill). Comanche is fast and can be used to make a flanking move against unprotected targets (since human likes to move entire force to the front where most battles take place).

However, speed is key to victory. You need to practice how to build as quickly as possible in multiplayer (your opponent will do the same). As for me, I'm not fond of Laser Gen because of expensive slow-moving ground force (I prefer mobility and firepower).

i am having problems with this against super weapon, though. it is quite hard to micro everything against artillery and aircraft, and my comanches are dropping like flies with their avengers and stealth fighter bombing my libras
so without paladins/comanches that get through, AMOS wreaks havoc.
and i get a rank 2 while supw get rank 4 :V

any tips?

You can assign number to group for micro. You need combination of force to fight this (see below)

------FRONTLINE------

-----Tank force-----

---AA/Repair group---

----<Artillery>----

As you can see, you need tank to protect the front (and assault in the end). AA behind them would scan for stealth fighters and kill them quickly before they reach Libra line (which would clear SWG patriot). Try not to lose units to AI (on higher difficulty, AI gets EXP bonus). Against SWG, you don't need a lot of tank (since SWG lacks ground units). However, you need to be faster if you're playing against human (who would probably Pat rush you). You can also attack with mass comanches (this works pretty well against unsuspecting human).
CASOJIN

Posted Image

#410 Guest_contranova_*

Guest_contranova_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:34 PM

hi, I'm having problems fighting off flame gens as infantry gen. my friend seems to have a counter to my entire arsenal:

-artillery kills infantry
-tanks kill troop crawlers because they are faster
-dragon tanks, dozers and listening outposts are useless here
-artillery get killed by flames artillery
-nothing else because were still rank 1

aside from giving him xp, is there any solution?

and i'm not awesome enough to just beat him like that...

so yes, any help?

#411 Casojin

Casojin

• Project Team
  • 2,121 posts
  •  Thinker

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:34 AM

This is not easy but it can be fought. You need a lot of micro though.
- Try securing 2-3 supply fast and defend it
- Spread your bunker around and put arty and dozer behind and add propaganda tower if necessary
- Powerplant can block incoming arty shells better than bunker but it can explode when destroyed
- Powerplant and CC can be garrisoned, use it to your advantage
- Keep small group of Jammer/TH (1 Jammer, 3-4 TH ) crawlers and use them to flank enemy rear (especially arty)
- You can also keep small group of wheel dragons around to flank arty (and run away when tanks come)
- HAZMAT (cleaner) infantry is good for scout
- A few empty Listening posts can warn you of enemy movement
- A few wheel dragons can harass enemy supply trucks early (run around a building to avoid slow moving enemy, dragon can shoot over it)
- Rank 3, garrison grenadiers in bunker to counter arty
- Rank 3, upgrade Tandem Warhead for TH (they're nasty vs tanks)
CASOJIN

Posted Image

#412 dcesarec

dcesarec

THE COON

• Project Team
  • 3,091 posts
  • Projects:Contra 008 Art (models, textures, wallpapers...)
  •  Color check! Is this text blue?

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:56 AM

It can be done with good micro. Build many artillery and protect them with troop crawlers. Also use tricky infantry attacks. Which means,load troop crawlers,attack from sides,unload all infantry when he sends battlemasters on you. He will probably get rank faster,but you wont be very far away from him too. The goal is to endure and get rank3,then defeat him with new arsenal.
Posted Image

#413 Creator

Creator

The cat

• Hosted
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:41 AM

hi, I'm having problems fighting off flame gens as infantry gen. my friend seems to have a counter to my entire arsenal:

-artillery kills infantry
-tanks kill troop crawlers because they are faster
-dragon tanks, dozers and listening outposts are useless here
-artillery get killed by flames artillery
-nothing else because were still rank 1

aside from giving him xp, is there any solution?

and i'm not awesome enough to just beat him like that...

so yes, any help?

Use bunkers and barracks the following way:
http://contra.cncgui...g/ts_agrdef.php

Listening outpost is not useless. It is good defense unit. Read this to know how to use it:
http://contra.cncgui...Eng/ts_claw.php

Troop Crawlers must be controlled carefuly too. These tricks can allow you to survive:
http://contra.cncgui...e/Eng/ts_tc.php

Edited by Creator, 13 December 2011 - 10:41 AM.

#414 Guest_contranova_*

Guest_contranova_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:57 PM

huh thanks, lots of replies...

@casojin: I'm not sure what grenadiers do... on the description it says they are a support unit.. but OK... you're probs pro enough to know it works... 8)
-i could see what was going on perfectly, i just could not do much about it...
-the rush idea is good though... i must try it!
-you're suggesting to hide my arty behind PPs... right?
-i also had no money problems, just the battle
-i didn't use jammers much - they are like ECM right?

@dcesarec: that IS tricky... the entire thing is under arty fire, so the troop crawler has to keep moving, but ill try that anyway, thanks!

@creator: yes, i am familiar with these help topics, they helped me out immensely! but im not pro enough to implement them in this situation... its just practice i suppose...

@all: wow, thanks people, i didn't expect so much help.. but I'm kinda finding it hard to use..
also, the formation my friend uses is 'mob' which means flanking is difficult and he just sends the needed units to attack threats while slowly progressing to the middle of my base - defenses are simply out-ranged and fire-stormed so nothing really survives
and any attack on this 'mob' is greeted with artillery fire and then the 'correct' unit (which is usually tanks because infantry doesn't get that far)

therefore the only solution i have come up with is to attack before this 'mob' is formed and it only needs 3-4 tanks and 1-2 artillery but quickly gets larger. so, how many tanks does it take to kill a troop crawler? if 2 then it will be rather hard...
thanks for the replies, i will need some testing... 8P

#415 Casojin

Casojin

• Project Team
  • 2,121 posts
  •  Thinker

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:08 AM

Check post #10 within this topic for detailed info. I've spent a lot of time writing the guidelines.

Also, Jammer trooper in 007 will prevent your human opponent from selecting the jammed unit (hence, unable to command it). It won't work with AI though.
CASOJIN

Posted Image

#416 Creator

Creator

The cat

• Hosted
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:22 PM

therefore the only solution i have come up with is to attack before this 'mob' is formed and it only needs 3-4 tanks and 1-2 artillery but quickly gets larger. so, how many tanks does it take to kill a troop crawler? if 2 then it will be rather hard...
thanks for the replies, i will need some testing... 8P

Don't forget that economy matters too. If you have 2 supply docks and your enemy has 4 then you are doomed. He will crash you with numbers sooner or later. Infantry general has good bonus in the beginning: his minigunners can kill any enemy soldier in 1 on 1 duel. This makes them perfect map controllers in the beginnig. Just capture all oil derricks on the map, fortify them by building 1 bunker and 1 barracks near each one. Enemy will bring artillery to destroy bunkers. Build airfield beforehand and keep aircrafts ready to strike. It will allow you to counter artillery in any place of the map quickly. If you play the beginning correctly - you are victorious.

The situation gets worse if there are no oil derricks on the map, but it can still be handled. I can recommend to use small groups of your units and attack first. Even if you looss a small fight, it does not matter. Your goal is to destroy enemy units and do not allow him to build his standard attacking heap. Your TCs have advantage in small fights and suck in big heaps. Keep it in mind. A group like 1 TC + 1 Outpost + 2 artillery will work well. You can also assemble another small group depending on situation.

Edited by Creator, 14 December 2011 - 01:27 PM.

#417 Casojin

Casojin

• Project Team
  • 2,121 posts
  •  Thinker

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:28 PM

Build airfield beforehand and keep aircrafts ready to strike.

But in 007, there is no airfield at rank 1. So, you need to focus on harassing enemy eco.
CASOJIN

Posted Image

#418 Guest_Alpha Zeke_*

Guest_Alpha Zeke_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:53 PM

Sorry to reply as a guest. I really detest that since I constantly look down on guests. Oh well, I will register when I have the time.

My question was what are some good strategies as the Cyber gen vs the AI or a human? I think it is easier to fight a human since they will protect less, but since the Cyber gen does not have heavy firepower, how does he fight someone who turtles like a SWG or a stealth general?

#419 Casojin

Casojin

• Project Team
  • 2,121 posts
  •  Thinker

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:12 AM

Harass economy and early suppression. Cyber Gen units are really fast. TOW and Flashbang are required upgrades. Without, them Cyber force can't shoot while moving (this is changed in 008 with all drone weapons can shoot while moving but these upgrades still boost damage considerably). To fight enemy force, you must focus on hit and run (like GLA) with drones (Sentry, Guardian, Repair, and Avenger if necessary).
CASOJIN

Posted Image

#420 Guest_Alpha Zeke_*

Guest_Alpha Zeke_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:45 AM

Thanks for the reply.

Now for a normal build setup, I go Power Plant, barracks, Supply Depot, Supply Depot as fast as possible. How should I possibly change that up to get access to drones fast enough? I'm sure if I want to suppress their economy fast enough I can't rely on soldiers.

Also, against a USA or China enemy the Cannon Drone would do good work, but what about a GLA opponent who uses Scorpions to defend a plethora of nearly spammed workers? In order to cut through them fast enough, I would need a lot of Sentry Drones who can't go head to head with a tank.

On another question, can the Cannon Drone even go head to head with enemy tanks?

Thanks a bunch :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users