#1 Spartan184

Spartan184

:)

• Project Team
  • 1,592 posts
  • Projects:Random Modding Projects
  •  Coder, Map.ini Coder, Mapper, and Beta Tester

Posted 18 September 2009 - 01:25 AM

Well here it is should i get it? So far I'm gonna get it since i need a new one because todays games need better graphics cards and mine is getting old. And I'm not a real genius with graphics cards since this is my first time buying one can you guys perhaps give me some tips?
Clicky

Edit: Here are my system specs

Windows Vista 32 bit
1gb of ram (soon to be 2gb)
225gb Hardrive
128mb video card NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Processor 4200+ 2.21 GHz

Edited by Spartan184, 18 September 2009 - 01:30 AM.

safsignature.png

#2 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:23 AM

As long as it your motherboard has a PCI-E (that is an old graphics card you currently have), you should have no problem with that, and it will be a solid, futureproof investment. 9800s are great cards.

I would recommend you upgun your processor too at some point in the near future, along with the RAM and the GPU you're already looking to upgrade. It's by no means a bad processor, but you can pick up an X2 5200+ or probably even a 6200+ for like $35. Although not essential to your rig, you might end up with your processor being the weak link in an otherwise fairly decent chain down the line. Just make sure you buy a Socket AM2 processor (like the older X2s like I mentioned - I currently run a 5200+ and can max out pretty much every game I play, no problem. You can probably pick up better for less than I paid now tho). You can't have an Intel chip, either, as your mobo won't support it.

I apologise if I gave you a bunch of info you already knew and sounded patronising - I don't know your tech competency. :p

But yeah, the 9800's a great card, will serve you well against pretty much any game that currently exists. :sad2: I'm not sure if that's a little pricey considering the card's a couple of years old - I'd shop around for the same card elsewhere.

#3 Spartan184

Spartan184

• Project Team
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 12:44 PM

Well thanks. I'll be searching for more less pricey cards. And thanks for the info i really appreciated it. :p

safsignature.png

#4 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:34 PM

It all depends on your motherboard and power supply output. It looks like you have an older board and may not have Express-16 to run that card, but with an X2 CPU, you might. Do you know your motherboard model? I can give you a list of cards that are better for their price than a 9800.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#5 Masterbadeend

Masterbadeend

Yellow_Pete

• Project Team
  • 797 posts
  • Projects:RCMOD
  •  Mapper @ the RCMOD

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:04 PM

One little tip: because ATI and AMD are the same corporation they work better with eachother than AMD and Nvidia do.;) (Click_Me if you have two PCI-E 2.0 slots and a good power supply ;) )
BTW: which games do you want to play, a 4850 (the one I have :p ) is good enough to play Far Cry 2 on highest settings (AA 2×) and BFME 2 on highest settings :).

Edited by Masterbadeend, 18 September 2009 - 08:06 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Thanks to MirkwoordArcher for this great signature and the lovely duck.
Posted Image

#6 Spartan184

Spartan184

• Project Team
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 05:17 PM

I wanna play GTA4, Need for Speed Prostreet, Burnout Paradise, Of course all bfme games even though i can all ready play them max out details, and Modern Warefare 2 when it comes out, and any badass Game thats for the PC.

Edited by Spartan184, 19 September 2009 - 05:17 PM.

safsignature.png

#7 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 19 September 2009 - 06:58 PM

Well, I can set you up with near max with a GeForce 9600GT because that's what I use and it rocks the house like nobody's business. It's an amazing midrange card with a lot of capability, if you can sack a few things like resolution or playing most games on just medium settings. You'll also need a bigger power supply for this card; I upped to a 550W when I got my 9600GT.

Believe me. It rocks your soul. It's that damn good for being under $100.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#8 Spartan184

Spartan184

• Project Team
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 02:20 AM

Well i don't know what my power supply is and how do i raise it up?? And man if my parents wont buy me that other graphics card or i can't then hook me up with the 9600GT.

safsignature.png

#9 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 01:16 PM

You can usually find out your power supply's wattage by looking at the back of your case, where the fan is. Sometimes you'll have to take the side off and look at the big box that is your power supply unit (PSU).

You want 500W or better. The more you have, the more stable your system will usually be as there won't be a power bottleneck as all your other components battle for power. I currently run a 750W PSU. And by God, I need it. My last PSU was 500W, and you wouldn't think you'd notice the difference but you do when you have a lot of hard drives like I do.

#10 Spartan184

Spartan184

• Project Team
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 02:08 PM

Ok, thanks I'm checking right now. Well i opened it up and I couldn't find the PSU only said DC Output 300w or something then a bunch of other stuff. I know its the Power Box I'm looking at because it says Warning disconnect all power supply in order to prevent shock blablabla.

Edited by Spartan184, 20 September 2009 - 02:24 PM.

safsignature.png

#11 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 03:23 PM

No, that's it. You have a 300W PSU.

That will probably be ok, but you run the risk of a component not getting enough power which might make the comp just close down randomly...I once got scammed with a 250W PSU masquerading as a 400...yeah. Basically, if you have only one hard drive, gfx (just make sure the card you buy will accept such power and doesn't require more...that 9800 you were looking at is probably very hungry) and power for the motherboard, you can probably get away with that.

As it is, I have a fuck of a lot of components crowding the inside of my tower case, so I need more wattage than you would appear to ^_^

#12 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 20 September 2009 - 03:43 PM

While we're on topic of power supply: how exactly do you find out how much you need anyway?
Most components just seem to give general advice along the lines of "450W power supply recommended" but I don't see any precise figures I could just add up.

[/thread hijack]

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#13 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 04:32 PM

You have a good point...I don't think there is a hard and fast rule because power demands are different for every computer. =/
My old comp's PSU went fucky and I ended up getting scabbed with a 250watter from a local computer (ripoff) merchant. Still ran Oblivion. ^_^ But it didn't enjoy it and the performance was less than optimum.

Power supply calculators do exist out there...this is one such example. (Thank you, Asus :D ). I jammed in my own system's makeup and it recommended 500W. I had a 500W and was still bottlenecking, though I think the PSU was a bit jiggered so :p My system has indeed been a lot more stable since I got this 750watter.

#14 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  •  Thought Police
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 20 September 2009 - 04:46 PM

o_O it recommends 600W. I'm far below that I believe, however everything runs smoothly.

Edit: It has 420W...

Edited by Dark Lord of the Sith, 20 September 2009 - 04:49 PM.

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

#15 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 05:27 PM

I think they err on the side of caution with it. Idea being to ensure you have sufficient overrun in case of a massive spike in demand for juice or something.

Do you run any particularly intense games?

#16 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  •  Thought Police
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 20 September 2009 - 10:43 PM

Not really. I play all my FPS (except maybe Half Life 2) on the PS3. The computer only needs to handle RTS, although some pretty new ones - and always at highest settings.

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

#17 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 11:31 PM

I think it's still fairly safe - I believe those calculators are probably biased in favour of purchasing new hardware (it is an Asus calculator, after all ^_^ ), but I think it just gives an overhead and a bit of leeway for the power consumption in the event it spikes...normal use and even gaming is unlikely to reach that overhead unless you're really punishing the hardware (and overclocking :p )

#18 Spartan184

Spartan184

• Project Team
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:55 AM

Oh ok. Well i always have my Power Options on High Performance, would that make it better?

safsignature.png

#19 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:13 AM

Not really. That just gives each component more access to power. It doesn't help your PSU generate it.

You are almost certain to need a new PSU if you're upgrading your rig.

#20 Spartan184

Spartan184

• Project Team
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 01:55 PM

About how much do they cost?? Man im gonna need to get a job ^_^ Didn't know i had to upgrade a bunch of stuff.

safsignature.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users