Network game question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dcesarec

dcesarec

THE COON

• Project Team
  • 3,091 posts
  • Projects:Contra 008 Art (models, textures, wallpapers...)
  •  Color check! Is this text blue?

Posted 23 September 2009 - 06:17 PM

Yeap, i know this question is going to be hilarious, but i saw in contra page that dial-up connection could be enough for network play.
Not only i have dial-up connection, my connection speed is 31,2Kbps :thumbsupsmiley:

Still...is it enough for 1on1 play?

(that consider that i would not see in first picture my base...and in second one "you have been defeated" message) :p
Posted Image

#2 Casojin

Casojin

Democracy not Dictatorship

• Project Team
  • 2,121 posts
  •  Thinker

Posted 24 September 2009 - 05:36 AM

It would be a bit laggy, I think. Reducing your graphic might help as long as your opponent doesn't mind the long command-to-action time. I've played ZH with 56k net before (in 2003-2004) and it was acceptable to me. But many people feel that such lag is annoying. I'm not sure about dial-up and contra though (Contra add a lot of particle effects such as flame and chemical clouds, which slow the game).
CASOJIN

Posted Image

#3 Creator

Creator

The cat

• Hosted
  • 3,632 posts
  • Projects:Contra

Posted 24 September 2009 - 05:58 AM

Yeap, i know this question is going to be hilarious, but i saw in contra page that dial-up connection could be enough for network play.
Not only i have dial-up connection, my connection speed is 31,2Kbps ;)

Still...is it enough for 1on1 play?

Yes, it will be enougn. A number of people who have dial-up connction played Contra and were satisfied with connection speed. It was not laggy. Zero Hour generates net traffic of 5-10Mb per hour during 2 players game. Hence, you need 11-22Kbps for normal gameplay. Your 31,2Kbps is more than enough for it. You can easily play 2, 3 and 4 players games.

But it will be problems when playing with 5 or more players, or when 3-4 players build very large armies and very big bases.

Yet another note: your connection must be stable. Lags can also happen because your modem losts connection from time to time.

Edited by Creator, 24 September 2009 - 06:02 AM.

#4 dcesarec

dcesarec

THE COON

• Project Team
  • 3,091 posts
  • Projects:Contra 008 Art (models, textures, wallpapers...)
  •  Color check! Is this text blue?

Posted 24 September 2009 - 02:00 PM

Well, i`ve tryed today..and...it was lack.. ;)

I was able to see every 4 seconds of game (the midtime is freezeing), speed changes somehow...in one point it is slow like that and in second time it was a bit faster but still non playable, the other player that uses ADSL didn`t noticed any speed issues, my game graphic options was on low.

I guess i must wait untill i get ADSL (in one or two months), in midtime when i find the way to play via adsl i will contact here.
Thanks for help anyway!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users