#1 Bereneth Túrien

Bereneth Túrien

Ni degilbor

• Members
  • 414 posts
  • Projects:Working on my own mod.
  •  Former advisor.

Posted 26 September 2009 - 03:14 AM

I recently upgraded my computer's processor to a Dual-core 64-bit CPU (2.2 GHz), and my computer currently has 3 gigs of RAM. I'm running XP Pro right now and I'm wondering if I should switch to x64 edition (or get a 64bit Vista/7). I may be getting more RAM soon and on my current 32bit OS it would be useless, but I could always put it in another system.

My question is if I should switch to a 64bit OS, and if so, what benefits would it have?

Also, if I do end up sticking with 32bit XP Pro, how would that affect my computer's performance in the long run?

Edited by Arborlon Elf, 26 September 2009 - 03:16 AM.
Added more detail

I used to be {AE}Manveru, if that rings a bell.

#2 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 26 September 2009 - 03:23 AM

If you have 32-bit XP, stay with it. The 64-bit XP is hacky pile of shit that isn't worth the money it costs or its download time. If you want a good 64-bit OS, Windows 7 is the way to go; shit, even Vista is a good 64-bit choice. However, you could still roll with a 32-bit Vista/W7 and use 4GB of RAM; XP only reads up to 3.2GB.

However, it really depends on what you're going to do. If you get more than 4GB, go 64-bit, otherwise run with 32-bit.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#3 True Lord of Chaos

True Lord of Chaos

I have returned, mostly out of boredom.

• Members
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 04:02 AM

What's the difference between 32-bit and 64-bit besides the number of bits?

Hello everyone. I am back.

#4 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 26 September 2009 - 06:51 PM

http://www.softwaret...-bit-processors
It's an old article but it sums up the difference nicely. It's not the operating system that really makes the determination, it's the processor.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=440
This also explains why XP64 is a poor OS choice.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Steam

#5 Bereneth Túrien

Bereneth Túrien

Ni degilbor

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  Former advisor.

Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:03 PM

Thanks. I'll probably stick with 32bit for now and switch to Windows 7 x64 once it comes out (depending on how much RAM I end up getting).

#6 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts
  • Projects:PPM, PPM: Final Dawn, OS SHP Builder, OS Palette Editor, OS W3D Viewer, VXLSE III, etc...
  •  Retired Network Leader
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Maintenance Admin

Posted 28 September 2009 - 02:13 AM

I use XP64 for over an year in my main computer. I love it. It's fast, more stable than my laptop's Vista (ok, that doesn't mean much) and it has everything that I need. The only problem, as the article said, is drivers. In my case, my only problem was the driver from my Palm Zire 72. There is no x64 support for it. I can still transfer file from it, but I have to use bluetooth (which XP already brings native support for it). The other problem is my Soundblaster Audigy 2, which has x64 drivers, but the applications does not install on it (at least I couldn't do it). Everything else has drivers like my nVidia video card, Asus motherboard and everything else, including my mobile from Samsung.
Project Perfect Mod

Command & Conquer Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, Tools, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Posted Image

#7 Bereneth Túrien

Bereneth Túrien

Ni degilbor

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  Former advisor.

Posted 28 September 2009 - 02:29 AM

So Banshee, would you recommend XP64 as long as there are available drivers for all the hardware on my system? I'm not quite sure what you meant in your post.

#8 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 28 September 2009 - 02:34 AM

I strongly recommend avoiding XP64. It runs a lot of software in emulation mode instead of natively, which degrades performance. Some applications have a negligible slow down but others are more noticeable if they're more processor, or graphics, intensive. If you want proper 64-bit support, use Windows 7 Pro x64, or even Vista Home Premium x64. There's a reason why 64-bit XP is hard to find for purchase, which I also recommend. Don't use a pirated OS. Ever.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Steam

#9 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts
  • Projects:PPM, PPM: Final Dawn, OS SHP Builder, OS Palette Editor, OS W3D Viewer, VXLSE III, etc...
  •  Retired Network Leader
  • Job:Maintenance Admin

Posted 28 September 2009 - 05:40 AM

I haven't noticed any significant slowdown to be honest. Heavy applications like Red Alert 3 runs very fast here. And also, 32 bits applications are also emulated in Vista 64 bits and Windows 7 (64 bits). They do not run natively there. If you have any doubts, check the link below:
http://www.techsuppo...pplications.htm
Project Perfect Mod

Command & Conquer Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, Tools, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Posted Image

#10 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 28 September 2009 - 08:14 AM

So Banshee, would you recommend XP64 as long as there are available drivers for all the hardware on my system? I'm not quite sure what you meant in your post.

You said you were going to install Windows 7 when it comes out. Well, that's almost. In fact, you might even be able to download it already (from an official source) and purchase & activate it when it comes out for real. So yeah, just wait for 7 :popcorn:
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#11 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 29 September 2009 - 06:12 AM

I haven't noticed any significant slowdown to be honest. Heavy applications like Red Alert 3 runs very fast here. And also, 32 bits applications are also emulated in Vista 64 bits and Windows 7 (64 bits). They do not run natively there. If you have any doubts, check the link below:
http://www.techsuppo...pplications.htm

Even if it is, the processor in use handles the workload and anything that supports x64, supports x86 so there's no speed decrease. Though, don't be confused by the VXP since that's an addon for W7 and doesn't have anything to do with 32-bit applications.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Steam

#12 segwayrulz

segwayrulz

title available

• Members
  • 788 posts
  • Projects:....

Posted 29 September 2009 - 11:10 AM

okay I use 64 bit XP, and its a pain to install drivers etc. cause you always have to find custom ones, oh and msn doesnt work on it unless you get a hacked installer, and when it updates you have to re-install it. so its good but bad at the same time

#13 Bereneth Túrien

Bereneth Túrien

Ni degilbor

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  Former advisor.

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:34 PM

I've decided. I'll use 7 64bit and until then my XP Pro is fine.

In fact, you might even be able to download it already (from an official source) and purchase & activate it when it comes out for real. So yeah, just wait for 7 smile.gif

Where do you mean? I don't think you can get it from Microsoft's servers and I'm not a TechNet subscriber or anything.

#14 Caspa

Caspa

title available

• Members
  • 938 posts
  •  Shine On, Lurk Moar

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:06 PM

You can't download it from Microsoft anymore, but they'll still dish out the keys for free. Just find a torrent of it or something.
Hostile is a cunt.

Thought I'd have that here to save time.

#15 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 01:33 PM

You can't download it from Microsoft anymore, but they'll still dish out the keys for free. Just find a torrent of it or something.

You mean the RC. I was talking about the RTM, the release version. It must be out there somewhere, since PC manufacturers are already putting it on their PC's.
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#16 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 30 September 2009 - 03:35 PM

IMO, It doesn't matter that much with Windows anyway because most programs still don't have 64-bit versions.

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#17 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 06:12 PM

Only because until recently, not that many people had a 64 bit system. A chicken and egg problem.

#18 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 30 September 2009 - 08:36 PM

Except here it's really easy to keep the future in mind and just compile a 32 bit and a 64 bit version, even if only very few people use it right now. It's really not much of an effort and the more popular programs already distribute two version for Mac and Linux.

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#19 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:15 PM

I'm not saying it's a lot of effort, but it's something that for some reason the software developers (or their bosses) currently don't want to or feel the need to spend time/money on (however little). Only if we all install a 64 bit OS will that change.

#20 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 01 October 2009 - 06:37 AM

Consumers won't change the market; businesses will. Until the 64-bit architecture becomes the de facto business standard, 32 will reign.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Steam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users