46 replies to this topic

#21 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 01 October 2009 - 09:05 AM

Consumers won't change the market; businesses will.

Not if the software is consumer software (games, for instance).
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#22 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 01 October 2009 - 06:41 PM

You won't see a 64-bit game for a very long time to come. The development architecture is a bit different and seems to be a little more complicated. Though, I'm not really for sure on that since I don't write desktop applications.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#23 Caspa

Caspa

title available

• Members
  • 938 posts
  •  Shine On, Lurk Moar

Posted 01 October 2009 - 09:50 PM

There's a few x64 games out there already.
Hostile is a cunt.

Thought I'd have that here to save time.

#24 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:26 PM

Exclusively 64-bit or do they run on 32 as well?

NZ.org | BBPCG
Steam

#25 Bereneth Túrien

Bereneth Túrien

Ni degilbor

• Members
  • 414 posts
  • Projects:Working on my own mod.
  •  Former advisor.

Posted 02 October 2009 - 01:38 AM

I would assume Caspa's talking about 64-bit compatible games.

I used to be {AE}Manveru, if that rings a bell.

#26 Caspa

Caspa

title available

• Members
  • 938 posts
  •  Shine On, Lurk Moar

Posted 02 October 2009 - 02:15 AM

I meant genuine, x64 native games, such as the x64 version of Far Cry, WWII Tank Commander and Chronicles of Riddick : Escape from Butcher Bay.
Not x86 games running in x64 compatibility, but actual x64 games. They do exist, but they're few and far between. x64 is pushing through though and
will eventually become the standard.

EDIT: Also, Unreal Tournament 2004 x64

Edited by Caspa, 02 October 2009 - 02:15 AM.

Hostile is a cunt.

#27 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts
  •  Friendly neighborhood standards Nazi

Posted 02 October 2009 - 05:03 AM

x64 can run any x32 compiled code without a hitch, the only issues arise when wanting to use a x64 program with a x32 plugin, as the two cannot coexist in an application. So really you've got nothing to loose and you'll get better performance out of your x64 compatibles, and if you use anything like PS or Max, Maya, etc. this makes a big difference.
Been using 7 x64 since Beta without a hitch. XP is useless, but definately go with 64-bit for Se7en, you have nothing to loose and even if you don't think much to gain, its going to become more and more widely used.

World Domination Status: 2.7%

#28 Clement

Clement

title available

• Network Staff
  • 1,442 posts
  • Projects:Various
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member
  • Job:Developer

Posted 02 October 2009 - 11:26 AM

Processors are build to use x64 architecture since a moment now. The only problem are still applications, because the dveloppers have generally to make a version for the x86 system (32 bits) and one for the x64, so two core of the applciations have to been programmed, which is a lot of work.

But x64 is the way to go, because you have nothing to loose, and because applications are slowly moving to this architecture.

And the x64 version of windows seven is perfect, I have it and it runs perfectly.
Posted Image

#29 JUS_SAURON

JUS_SAURON

El Shaddai

• Members
  • 1,581 posts
  • Projects: BFME2 MOD - Power Of The Ring
  •   INI Coder

Posted 10 October 2009 - 02:49 PM

And the x64 version of windows seven is perfect, I have it and it runs perfectly.

Yes ,UPGRADE :good:
never downgrade or stay stagnant
I have not yet gotten windows 7 as I am waiting for all the De-bugging to finish (like vista64)
but good to know its working fine ... :p
BTW .. Windows 7 or any 64OS is very power /Ram hungry
It takes alot of system resourses ...(according to my computer Technician Friend )
So ensure your RIG can handle it before you upgrade

I am sure you will upgrade anyway just to see how it performs :p

#30 Caspa

Caspa

title available

• Members
  • 938 posts
  •  Shine On, Lurk Moar

Posted 10 October 2009 - 10:34 PM

BTW .. Windows 7 or any 64OS is very power /Ram hungry
It takes alot of system resourses ...(according to my computer Technician Friend )

Wrong. x64 is no more RAM or power hungry than x86. x64 can simply use more RAM.
The only precautions you need to take is ensuring your hardware is x64 compatible.
Hostile is a cunt.

#31 Bereneth Túrien

Bereneth Túrien

Ni degilbor

• Members
  • 414 posts
  • Projects:Working on my own mod.
  •  Former advisor.

Posted 11 October 2009 - 12:50 AM

Yes ,UPGRADE :p
never downgrade or stay stagnant

I wouldn't feel bad about 'staying stagnant' as you put it if I felt as if I didn't need the new hardware. By your reckoning I should upgrade just because a newer version is available? If I wasn't looking for 64 bit technology I'd stay with my perfectly fine copy of XP. Heck, I still have a computer running Windows 2000, simply because I don't need anything more.

I have not yet gotten windows 7 as I am waiting for all the De-bugging to finish (like vista64)

Debugging is what they did back when it was still in development. Software is improved after release but all the debugging happens beforehand. Do you even know the meaning of the term? Not to mention at the beginning of your post you said "never downgrade or stay stagnant" and yet you aren't upgrading your own system?

The same one who said onboard graphics were choppy and worse than a less-powerful dedicated card, I suppose? Yeah, this makes me really believe this. [/sarcasm]

Considering that's it can be less system-intensive than Vista in some circumstances I don't think that will be a problem.

I am sure you will upgrade anyway just to see how it performs :p

I have already used the RC you know...

The only precautions you need to take is ensuring your hardware is x64 compatible.

That shouldn't be a problem since my drivers and applications restore CD already has 64 bit drivers for everything. When I bought this system I bought it making sure I could upgrade later if it became necessary.

Edited by {AE}Manveru, 11 October 2009 - 12:51 AM.

I used to be {AE}Manveru, if that rings a bell.

#32 JUS_SAURON

JUS_SAURON

El Shaddai

• Members
  • 1,581 posts
  • Projects: BFME2 MOD - Power Of The Ring
  •   INI Coder

Posted 11 October 2009 - 02:16 AM

I edited my post ....
Did some internet searching and most people are NOT upgrading their OS just yet
Due to Compatability issues with programs

This_may_help

Edited by JUS_SAURON, 11 October 2009 - 02:39 AM.

#33 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts
  •  Friendly neighborhood standards Nazi

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:44 AM

Thats Ubuntu, and from Feb 07. I can assure you Ubuntu has fantastic x64 support these days.

x64 does however use a little more memory, but it shouldn't be prohibitory for any system with a x64 processor. The difference is 1GB vs 2GB's of RAM, and unless you're running a netbook, its a safe bet you have 2GB+, so will benefit. And given an Atom isn't a x64 processor, the amount of memory available becomes irrelevant.

I have a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and x32, but I can promise you the x32 disk can stay in its package. Windows 8's even rumored to be a 128-bit OS...

World Domination Status: 2.7%

#34 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 02:39 PM

128 bits? I don't think we'll have reached 64's 16 million terabyte RAM limit when Windows 8 comes out.
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#35 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Job:Artist

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:13 PM

Just installed win7 on my "new" pc. its a far-cry to use this one compared to my old 32bit dual-core with 2gb of ram and a filled-to-the-brim-winXP. 8gb pc8500 ram just feels right ^_^

now, if i only could figure out what makes it blue-screen to death once every day. then it might just turn into my main-computer and not just some hardware gathering dust since may. But after Win7 things seems alot smoother.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#36 Nertea

Nertea

...lo sa raptor!

• Hosted
  • 3,349 posts
  • Projects:Star Villains and Space heroes, The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME/Unity

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:29 PM

So, a 64-bit question for the techies who know more about this than I do.

I have a number of programs that were written quite a while back (mostly archive extraction tools) that seem to be designed for a 16-bit system. I'm running Vista 64. This seems to invalidate their use - obviously the OS can emulate all the 32-bit stuff I need, but just tells me that these older programs can't run at all.

Now, evidently I'm by no means an expert, but if the system can run things in a 32-bit environment, wouldn't it be equally trivial to run my two little older programs? Failing that, couldn't it emulate a 32 bit and use that to emulate 16-bit :thumbsupsmiley:? I've seen a couple programs that advertise the ability to do something like that, but I'm a bit more interested in the technical reason for this than the solution right now (if I must, I will attempt to get my old 32-bit laptop working again).

sig.png
I really don't do requests and my Arnor Soldier is not fit for BFME. Don't ask me for either.

#37 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 06 November 2009 - 06:10 PM

If you were running XP x64, you would not be able to run 16-bit applications. But as far as I'm aware, Vista x64 can run 16-bit applications.

But I gotta ask... what 16-bit applications are you still running? :|

NZ.org | BBPCG
Steam

#38 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 06:15 PM

16 bit? I don't think I even used computers back in those days :thumbsupsmiley:

#39 Caspa

Caspa

title available

• Members
  • 938 posts
  •  Shine On, Lurk Moar

Posted 06 November 2009 - 08:32 PM

128 bits? I don't think we'll have reached 64's 16 million terabyte RAM limit when Windows 8 comes out.

Thats no excuse to stagnate
Hostile is a cunt.

#40 Nertea

Nertea

...lo sa raptor!

• Hosted
  • 3,349 posts
  • Projects:Star Villains and Space heroes, The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME/Unity

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:17 PM

If you were running XP x64, you would not be able to run 16-bit applications. But as far as I'm aware, Vista x64 can run 16-bit applications.

But I gotta ask... what 16-bit applications are you still running? :|

Maybe it's 8-bit :thumbsupsmiley:. I'm trying to run a couple viewing/extraction/conversion tools for old Interplay (circa 1995) games... revolving around the .hog, .pig archive formats and a couple of model formats (.oof, .ogf).

sig.png
I really don't do requests and my Arnor Soldier is not fit for BFME. Don't ask me for either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users