87 replies to this topic

#21 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:19 PM

Be glad. If you ever commit a crime it's never erased from your record, even if you become a saint. Our way doesn't seem that bad.
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#22 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 27 September 2009 - 11:51 PM

Specious argument. This isn't real life, this is a forum and there's literally no chance of physical harm. Worst we have here is insults, spam and maybe a hacking attempt but those have all come from outside forces and not the inside.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#23 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 27 September 2009 - 11:56 PM

If you notice your warn hasn't gone down in quite some time, pm one of the staff. Problem solved.

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#24 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 08:09 AM

If you (somebody) has reason to complain about the warn system, it means you're getting them. Otherwise you have nothing to do with them. This means that it should be you, not us, who needs to adapt.
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#25 Bereneth Túrien

Bereneth Túrien

Ni degilbor

• Members
  • 414 posts
  • Projects:Working on my own mod.
  •  Former advisor.

Posted 28 September 2009 - 10:55 AM

Even simpler: Just follow the rules and don't get warned.

I used to be {AE}Manveru, if that rings a bell.

#26 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 28 September 2009 - 11:54 AM

Specious argument. This isn't real life, this is a forum and there's literally no chance of physical harm. Worst we have here is insults, spam and maybe a hacking attempt but those have all come from outside forces and not the inside.

Libel and slander are crimes. :popcorn:

Edited by {IRS}Athos, 28 September 2009 - 11:54 AM.

BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#27 Detail

Detail

King Detail

• Hosted
  • 7,767 posts
  • Projects:Dayvi.com
  •  Blu Spy

Posted 28 September 2009 - 05:16 PM

Damn! I've gone down to 60%!

Could someone pump me back up to 100% please :huh:

Posted Image

#28 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 05:44 PM

Only if you want to be suspended for a week, then banned...:huh:

#29 Destroyer

Destroyer

Byte me

• Members
  • 2,305 posts
  • Projects:Having fun
  •  Just this guy, you know?

Posted 28 September 2009 - 06:08 PM

If you (somebody) has reason to complain about the warn system, it means you're getting them. Otherwise you have nothing to do with them. This means that it should be you, not us, who needs to adapt.

That is a shitty argument and I hope you realized it as you typed it out. You are suggesting that we are not to care about how the system works until it applies to us.

To use logic:
If have reason to complain -> getting warned
Means
If not getting warned -> No reason to complain.

That is bullshit. My reason is that I want the system to be fair. The matter of certain portions of it not applying to me at the moment is irrelevant.

I want there to be an autotimer. If there isn't one, it can't possibly be too hard to write a simple php script and set it up via cron to run daily/weekly.
Semicode:
mysql_connect(server,user,pass);
mysql_selectdb(db);
$raw=mysql_query(Select userid,warnlevel,lastwarnedtime from ipb_users where warnlevel>0);
foreach($user in $raw){
 if(time()-$user[lastwarnedtime]>month){
   mysql_query("update ipb_users set warnlevel=".$user[warnlevel]-20." where userid=".$user[userid]);
 }
}
mysql_close();

Warning dates are likely stored in a separate table that logs warns, but it can't be too hard to determine the most recent warn (they likely have a warnid to track warns, so just pick the largest warnid, as they'd be incremented).

Edited by Destroyer, 28 September 2009 - 06:10 PM.

#30 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 28 September 2009 - 06:57 PM

If you notice your warn hasn't gone down in quite some time, pm one of the staff. Problem solved.

This.

The system has been decided on and it won't be changed unless it proves flawed. Now let's not waste more time on a pointless debate but carry on with our lives.

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#31 Archon

Archon

Ethereal Chaos

• Members
  • 555 posts
  • Projects:Wars of Arda mod
  •  Expert Marksman

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:35 PM

Seconded.
_______Posted Image_______Posted Image

#32 Ring o' Fate

Ring o' Fate

The Ghost.

• Project Team
  • 1,627 posts
  • Projects:Trying to find meaning...
  •  The guy that is just a ghost.

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:39 PM

Thirded. :huh:
A changed man is only the same man with a different outlook of life.

#33 Caspa

Caspa

title available

• Members
  • 938 posts
  •  Shine On, Lurk Moar

Posted 28 September 2009 - 10:00 PM

Serious flaming is instantly warnable.

Objection!!!

Edited by Caspa, 28 September 2009 - 10:00 PM.

Hostile is a cunt.

Thought I'd have that here to save time.

#34 Destroyer

Destroyer

Byte me

• Members
  • 2,305 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 10:53 PM

The system has been decided on and it won't be changed unless it proves flawed. Now let's not waste more time on a pointless debate but carry on with our lives.

Yes, because the rest of the forum conversations are absolutely serious compared to this topic :huh:

I was just giving input post-decision. I understand that since there are more staff than active users you probably get a shit-ton of comments about something pre-decision/implementation, but I don't understand why you appear against other users making statements on it.

#35 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 28 September 2009 - 11:05 PM

I'm not against other users making statements on it, but the different opinions have been considered and the decision made. That makes further arguments on the topic rather pointless if you ask me.

We can't keep debating such small adjustments forever, there are indeed more serious issues to comment on (admittedly only few are public though).

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#36 Chrisjh0223

Chrisjh0223
  • Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 04:14 AM

Objection!!!

To be honest, I don't think you should joke like this (this is one of the more formal topics). Take some advice from a forum going veteran, do not ever flame (serious or joking) if you want to maintain a good quality impression of yourself. No matter the conversation, a message that insults another user can easily be considered Flaming, even if the user is a friend and you are joking around. There is no way that a moderator or another user can tell that you are joking. Allowing friends to flame one another would lead to confusion about the No Flaming policy. Heck, one site I visit instantly bans flame wars on sight. When one person said the slightest insult (that's a clear flame), Kyle (a moderator) permanently banned the flamer with an IP ban as well. There are no second chances for that flamer on that forum, and it could just as easily happen on this forum.

Please people, contribute to the wholescale forum atmosphere and be upstanding citizens by not flaming at all. Thank you.
Dude!!?? WTF!! Sexy beach 3, Schoolmate, and artificial girl 2... WTF is wrong with you? Do you smoke crack!? ~ MadHQ on Beowulf's PC wallpaper

"Religion is a monumental chapter in the history of human egotism." - William James

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

#37 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 29 September 2009 - 04:40 AM

QUOTE (2playgames @ Sep 28 2009, 04:09 AM) *

That is a shitty argument and I hope you realized it as you typed it out. You are suggesting that we are not to care about how the system works until it applies to us.

Yeah destroyer is right, that argument hardly holds water.
Thats like the government saying:
"Ok, we are going to bring in a new anti-sneezing law. The punishment for sneezing is death. None of you can argue with our decision because if you do that means you are a sneezer and will be dealt with accordingly. Only sneezers would have a problem with this law."

And while i may have no intention of sneezing, nor am i currently sneezing, that doesn't mean that i shouldn't get a say in the law, especially seen as it can possibly effect me, should i accidentally sneeze some time in the future.

--------
Obviously that example is exaggerated to make a point, but do you understand said point? Just cause its not currently effecting me(someone) doesn't mean i should plant my head in the sand and sit around ignorant of whats going on.

Just thought i should say that.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image

#38 Caspa

Caspa

title available

• Members
  • 938 posts
  •  Shine On, Lurk Moar

Posted 29 September 2009 - 12:40 PM

Objection!!!

To be honest, I don't think you should joke like this (this is one of the more formal topics). Take some advice from a forum going veteran, do not ever flame (serious or joking) if you want to maintain a good quality impression of yourself. No matter the conversation, a message that insults another user can easily be considered Flaming, even if the user is a friend and you are joking around. There is no way that a moderator or another user can tell that you are joking. Allowing friends to flame one another would lead to confusion about the No Flaming policy. Heck, one site I visit instantly bans flame wars on sight. When one person said the slightest insult (that's a clear flame), Kyle (a moderator) permanently banned the flamer with an IP ban as well. There are no second chances for that flamer on that forum, and it could just as easily happen on this forum.

Please people, contribute to the wholescale forum atmosphere and be upstanding citizens by not flaming at all. Thank you.

Oh hi, you must be new here. I'm Caspa.
Hostile is a cunt.

Thought I'd have that here to save time.

#39 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 01:26 PM

SWG, I understand your point, but it doesn't really apply here. The people complaining about the warn system here are mostly those who often get warnings, and they're probably only doing so out of fear for getting a too high warn and getting suspended. While your criticism may be legit, the others are not.

Further, I stand by what DLotS said in his last post. If anybody wants to waste their time posting here, go ahead...but you'll waste your time indeed. Time better spent commenting on the news updates we have now :huh:

#40 Destroyer

Destroyer

Byte me

• Members
  • 2,305 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 06:37 PM

The people complaining about the warn system here are mostly those who often get warnings, and they're probably only doing so out of fear for getting a too high warn and getting suspended.

Prove it. Which, out of the users that have posted comments/criticisms in this thread, are the ones that often get warnings?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users