Mortal Engines Series

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 UltimateRanger

UltimateRanger

Totally Crazy(and a little mad to)

• Project Team
  • 336 posts
  • Projects:Lone Wolf Beta Tester,Trying to Learn how to mod,having a monster signature
  •  Modder in Training-I wish!

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:35 PM

Hi there

I would like to suggest an RPG based on the Mortal Engines Series. Mortal Engines is a futuristic book series, but different to how you would think when you first hear "Futuristic". Towns roll the earth on tracks, and they capture other cities(smaller and slower) in their "jaws" to fuel the city. But there are not as many cities left as they're used to be, either gone static or eaten by bigger towns, sure there are plenty around, just not as many as before. But although this book is futuristic, here is the different part. There was a 60 minute war(around present day) where world leaders developed really powerful WMDS, and this destroyed alot, technology,land, you name it, alot was wiped out. So in some ways the people in these futuristic times were way ahead of us, but in many ways the opposite also.

Then there is the Anti-Tractionist League, These people hate the moving cities, which are turning the world to mud. And killing innocents with every so called wonderful catch. They despise the towns and cities, and live in static cites without wheels and tracks, they live behind the shield wall a wall of mountains which they cover from behind by long range cannons, meaning any city attempting to get through the wall would destroyed in minutes.

Then there are the air traders, air ships are sort of like hot air balloons, they are transport on and off towns, the real base of Air traders is air haven, a city in the sky, people land there to refuel dock and many many other things, I could add more to this but my memory of Air haven is a little distant right now

I could dig for more lore in my books if needed(which it is looking at it) but if you like the sound of it or want more information just say.
Posted Image
Turn off your lights when you dont need em on!-If you wanna help, put this as an image in to your sig http://helmsdeeplast....net/GW_sig.jpg
Posted ImagePosted Image

Longest serving lonewolf beta tester( that is currently active)

#2 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 30 September 2009 - 01:56 AM

Ah, 'twas a good series the Mortal Engines.

Although, you would call the setting more Post-Apocalyptic then Futuristic. Its not directly post apocalyptic, but is set after an Apocalyptic event.
Its cool how the technology has then developed(or redeveloped) differently, where they are more advanced in some areas but less advanced in others, and 'old tech'(advanced technology from before the war) is sometimes salvaged and used.

For example with alternative technology, lighter than air travel is the main form of air travel (so stuff like balloons) although i remember one of the cities having air planes that amazed everyone because they could fly even though they were heavier than air.

The traction cities go around eating each other. Its set in post apocalyptic Europe i believe, which is all big flat tired churned land with no vegetation. There's cool stuff like the Stalkers which are basically undead cyborgs, people brought back to life through cybernetic means. Also little things in the book are kinda funny, such as the 'ancient animal headed gods micky((mouse)) and pluto' ;), and they speak 'Anglish', and other little things like that.

Its quite an interesting story, I certainly liked the books.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 30 September 2009 - 03:41 PM

How would you run an RP based off this series? What are the basic details?
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#4 UltimateRanger

UltimateRanger

• Project Team
  • 336 posts
  • Projects:Lone Wolf Beta Tester,Trying to Learn how to mod,having a monster signature

Posted 30 September 2009 - 04:57 PM

Basically I would base it with a series of cities to choose from and then Airhaven and the Anti traction league playes would start off in one of these cities,airhaven,Anti-tractionist league or the bird roads(air ship). You can then travel between cities(or if your an anti tractionist maybe attempt to sabotage them). Things like that.

What details do you want and i shall provide them?

Edited by UltimateRanger, 30 September 2009 - 05:08 PM.

Posted Image
Turn off your lights when you dont need em on!-If you wanna help, put this as an image in to your sig http://helmsdeeplast....net/GW_sig.jpg
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 Fire Ze Missiles!

Fire Ze Missiles!

Lord High NukeMaster

• Members
  • 1,200 posts
  • Projects:The Ziggurat generally, Apocalypse in particular.
  •  Refuses to be beaten by Vortigern.

Posted 30 September 2009 - 06:37 PM

Well that sounds like a fine setting for an RP. However, I'd advise against a freeform RP in favour of a story driven one as they largely generate much more activity, which is sparse enough as it is (no thanks to me and my long inactivity - sorry about that everyone, lots of work and applying to university going on at the moment), thus a setting in a particular location would be nice. Perhaps the crew of an airship, that would allow a group to travel a lot? I don't know, having no familiarity with the canon myself, but given a setting somewhere and sufficient support I would approve this.
Of course I don't look busy; I did it right the first time.
Ever stop to think and forget to start again?
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
FZM and Vort don't do tag wrestling...but if they did, they'd probably be the worst tag-wrestlers in the world.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Oh for fuck's sake!

#6 UltimateRanger

UltimateRanger

• Project Team
  • 336 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 07:00 PM

I see. I'll smooth out some details soonish.

Edited by UltimateRanger, 30 September 2009 - 07:04 PM.

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 01 October 2009 - 12:15 AM

I don't know about freeforms not working... I generated a lot of activity on a freeform (somewhere else). All it takes is good communication and an active, friendly GM. :p
BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#8 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 03:10 AM

Freeform sucks.

UltimateRanger, would you be having it an RPG set in the mortal engines series, taking things directly from the books with just things happening from the groups point of view instead of Tom's, or an RPG based in a world of a similar concept?

I think you should just have it based in a world of similar concept, that way you can chop and change as you see fit, letting you use things from the books yet not be bound specifically to them.

Anyway, you should definitely forget any ideas of freeform, as not only do they never work out here, but they are generally terrible especially compared to guided/story driven/whatever you want to call it ones.

You could have it start off similarly to the books, with the group members being citizens of a traction city but then ending up fall out and going off on an adventure. Actually i think i good start might be in the gut of another city, having their own city just eaten, then the group could escape and get the adventure under way. That way also lets people have more options as to who their character might be.

Instead of just being limited to members of the one city, you could have members be of the recently eaten city, of other cities that were eaten previously, be of the city that ate them, maybe be anti-tractionists that were captured, (either by the traction city eating their static settlement or being caught some other way), or not captured and secretly trying to carry out a mission or something :p , or they could have them be traders or the like, docked in the city to sell their goods, and so on.

Then for whatever reason the group would come together, if its one of those seedier cities then they might want to turn those that are captured into slaves, giving them a good reason to want to escape, those that aren't captured such as traders might, for example, meet up and feel sorry for the people and try to help them, making themselves targets as well, giving them all reason to run.

Posted Image

#9 UltimateRanger

UltimateRanger

• Project Team
  • 336 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 02:57 PM

Well I'm not bothered to whether its freeform or story driven. I like weird guys idea, particularly the similar concept part, and in the gut of another city. And you could choose various options that way.

Edited by UltimateRanger, 01 October 2009 - 02:58 PM.

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 02:24 AM

Like i said, freeform sucks, and never works here. Go non-freeform.

Anyway, glad you like that idea.

Also you didn't answer:

UltimateRanger, would you be having it an RPG set in the mortal engines series, taking things directly from the books with just things happening from the groups point of view instead of Tom's, or an RPG based in a world of a similar concept?

Like i said, i think its better to make an RPG based on the same concept, rather then directly taking place in the books. So what are you thinking in that respect?

Posted Image

#11 UltimateRanger

UltimateRanger

• Project Team
  • 336 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 08:21 AM

Similar concept. Far better as i can work my way around some obstacles, and turn some history to my liking.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 Fire Ze Missiles!

Fire Ze Missiles!

Lord High NukeMaster

• Members
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 12:57 PM

Sounds like a plan. Go ahead and get that sorted out and I look forward to hearing your submission. In the meantime, everybody go and post in some RP's :shiftee:
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
FZM and Vort don't do tag wrestling...but if they did, they'd probably be the worst tag-wrestlers in the world.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Oh for fuck's sake!

#13 UltimateRanger

UltimateRanger

• Project Team
  • 336 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 08:15 PM

Ok. Im working on it.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 UltimateRanger

UltimateRanger

• Project Team
  • 336 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:22 PM

Just noting that I haven't dropped this, I'm currently discussing with some_weird guy as to the storyline and such. I'm really busy until next week, but after that I hope to finally sort out all the details.

FZEDIT: You take as long as you need my man. It's worth a little wait for a better story, methinks.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:21 AM

Yeah, i certainly hope this turns out well.

As Ranger said we have sent a couple of PM's back and forward
(still waiting on an answer to my previous PM ranger)

The mortal engines series is really good. Having refreshed myself with the series (i'm currently reading the fourth and final book in the series) i'm hoping this RPG turns out just as good if not better then the series.

Posted Image

#16 Spectre

Spectre

Rampant AI

• Hosted
  • 1,240 posts
  • Projects:Worldbuilding
  •  The Undead

Posted 31 October 2009 - 02:24 AM

Freeform sucks.

Anyway, you should definitely forget any ideas of freeform, as not only do they never work out here, but they are generally terrible especially compared to guided/story driven/whatever you want to call it ones.

I most certainly beg to differ, SWG.

This story, like most others, is excellent for freeform, as it is a whole universe that is left unexplored; We could easily go off of information in the books to gather info to make an exciting story of past lore in the story. I can't help you with the fact that no one will post on those sorts of RPs; that's the fault of the player base, whether admitted or otherwise.

It isn't the fact that freeform 'sucks' which makes freeform useless here, rather the lack of mere activity. If others would be willing to carry on a freeform, I could easily see it flourish in the Community.

#17 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 07:00 AM

No, freeform does suck. Everyone is so caught up with their own character and storyline that it becomes stagnant and boring. I don't RP to make up my own story about my character where i just go a write it up myself. If i wanted to do that then i could just write it down in a book or type it up in a word document. I RP for the storyline and interaction that makes Rp's fun. Without that they are boring, and being boring means they suck.

But hey, you might like that sort of thing, however it has proven that on revora they always flop, and i personally do not like them one bit.

Posted Image

#18 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 31 October 2009 - 01:57 PM

SWG, have you ever actually participated in a good freeform?
BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#19 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 12:29 AM

Isn't that an oxymoron?

-----
on a more serious note:
I really wouldn't say that any freeform i have been in to date has been 'good', and i have participated in a few freeforms, not just ones on revora. As you can tell they have left a bad taste in my mouth, so i guess the answer would be no?

Posted Image

#20 Fire Ze Missiles!

Fire Ze Missiles!

Lord High NukeMaster

• Members
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 05:55 PM

This is a textbook example of everyone being right :cool2:
Spectre is correct that the reason freeform fails here is lack of activity; however SWG is also right that freeform engenders people sticking to themselves in which case you really might as well write in the Creativity section. Also I find there's no motivation to keep posting as you're not even sure anyone's reading it, let alone caring about it :lol:
Posted ImagePosted Image
Oh for fuck's sake!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users