75 replies to this topic

#61 Caspa

Caspa

title available

• Members
  • 938 posts
  •  Shine On, Lurk Moar

Posted 07 October 2009 - 11:37 AM

Everyone should be able to delete their own posts. To have anything else is stupid.

Oh, wait. This is Revora. Why am I even surprised..?

And that, my friends, is the sound of a dead horse being flogged.
Hostile is a cunt.

Thought I'd have that here to save time.

#62 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 07 October 2009 - 12:31 PM

I just noticed how cool it looks to quote people seven times in one post.

No, it looks bad and is clutter, so I'd prefer if you don't do it. Your signature is also too large, as is Elvenlords :w00t: (despite the smiley, I'm serious!)
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#63 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 07 October 2009 - 12:52 PM

Everyone should be able to delete their own posts. To have anything else is stupid.

Oh, wait. This is Revora. Why am I even surprised..?

And that, my friends, is the sound of a dead horse being flogged.

You don't agree, I take it. I really don't see the need in preventing anyone deleting their own posts. Surely they have the right to do so seeing as, oh, they wrote it and all.

As for any 'yeh but they might delete it and skew the thread'. Honestly, how often does that happen? And apart from anything else, just because they might doesn't mean they will. Why don't you stop members from posting in threads or posting new threads because they *might* post racist/nazist slurs while you're at it?

#64 Caspa

Caspa

title available

• Members
  • 938 posts
  •  Shine On, Lurk Moar

Posted 07 October 2009 - 01:04 PM

Ash, we argued about this back when I was a staffer. You've probably argued about it before I even came to Revora. The end result has always been the same. Nothing really changes here.
Right now, I don't care if people can delete their own posts or not. Most of us are semi-intelligent individuals. A few better than that. A few more worse than that. Personally, I can't see any
problem with trusting the members here with that ability, but I can't change those features these days. The answer from the top has always been a resounding "no", and I can't really see that
being any different now.
Hostile is a cunt.

Thought I'd have that here to save time.

#65 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 01:13 PM

I think editing a post to be empty is better than deleting them. At least then people can see why the conversation might look skewed.
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#66 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 01:38 PM

But what's the point? That just clutters up the thread unnecessarily. Is there really a problem with giving members rights to delete their own post? Lord knows I've done it enough times and I haven't made things look 'skewed'.

We trust guests enough to post freely, but we don't trust members enough with their own posts. That seem right to you?

#67 Archon

Archon

Ethereal Chaos

• Members
  • 555 posts
  • Projects:Wars of Arda mod
  •  Expert Marksman

Posted 07 October 2009 - 03:22 PM

I support Ash.
_______Posted Image_______Posted Image

#68 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 07 October 2009 - 09:12 PM

I second this notion. I can delete my posts just about everywhere I go, even the C&C Den. -_-

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#69 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 10:55 PM

Fine, I'll make it so that you can delete your own posts. I still highly recommend emptying instead of deleting a post, but I'll leave it up to yourselves.

#70 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 08 October 2009 - 04:41 AM

Wow... wow... hold it right there people. I bring up a serious point then we all feel free to "Well... we can't let Pasidon do something good for the forums. Let's take away his and everyone else's powers". But you Puppet... mouthing off that my position is a joke is down right what I hate about your slick little comments on me. Shame on you. But you're still good Old Puppet, so no harm done.

And you Matias... well... negative as always. Carry on.

And Beo... stop proving my point. And if I bash, then its darn right well about time I stop too. No one verbally warns when you go to far, so most of us can't tell anyway.

And you too Sith... logically it was my job until this crap started to happen. If I represent Revora, then shouldn't I be managing what I'm representing? The truth in every ad I would post would include "lush fields of bitter protagonists". And by the way things are going around here, I say you could have used a few other guards on duity other than the... well... I don't know who the guards really are since mostly everyone is bitter now-days.

But now since I can't actually help improve the forums, then there really isn't much sense in promoting Revora. I know no-one else is going to do crap around here, but I'm still sticking around because I do still have faith in the good old promises that the site provides. And that's what I'm only representing now. But lots of you people just turned into hounding and cursing anarchists, or something. I dunno anymore. Some friends you people are to the community. If I learned anything, its to never go above and beyond in helping and just do your damn job around here. But I'm done with this topic, and done with a few other things around here. But 50 bucks says nothing good will come of it anyway.

Edited by {IP}Pasidon, 08 October 2009 - 04:42 AM.

#71 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:40 AM

Welcome to reality, Pasidon, we've been expecting you. :tongevil:

#72 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:27 AM

If I represent Revora, then shouldn't I be managing what I'm representing?

Why? Do you think that when people come at your door to sell stuff, they are managers? I'm not saying you're just a doorstep salesman, but I can't find a better comparison right now. In any case, it's not part of your job description. If you want to be a moderator, apply for that job instead.

If I learned anything, its to never go above and beyond in helping and just do your damn job around here.

It's good if people do more than they are required to do, as long as they realize that they have no authority outside of their area.
Also, the moderator powers are a special case. We can't really give the them to anyone, because you know, "with great power comes great responsibility" etc. They allow people to do stupid things that cannot be reversed.

#73 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:19 AM

And you too Sith... logically it was my job until this crap started to happen. If I represent Revora, then shouldn't I be managing what I'm representing? The truth in every ad I would post would include "lush fields of bitter protagonists". And by the way things are going around here, I say you could have used a few other guards on duity other than the... well... I don't know who the guards really are since mostly everyone is bitter now-days.

Uhm, no, you shouldn't. PR means "Public Relations", not "Management". You are the voice and advertiser of Revora both here and (mainly) outside. Moderating the community was never part of your job, that's what we have the Community Department and its Global Moderator group for.
The only one who's bitter here is you, because we removed powers that have been abused recently and that you never needed to get your job done in the first place. Get over it and focus on your true function, which is promoting Revora and giving it a positive image.

But now since I can't actually help improve the forums, then there really isn't much sense in promoting Revora. I know no-one else is going to do crap around here, but I'm still sticking around because I do still have faith in the good old promises that the site provides. And that's what I'm only representing now. But lots of you people just turned into hounding and cursing anarchists, or something. I dunno anymore. Some friends you people are to the community. If I learned anything, its to never go above and beyond in helping and just do your damn job around here. But I'm done with this topic, and done with a few other things around here. But 50 bucks says nothing good will come of it anyway.

Again, your job is promoting Revora, which has nothing to do with controlling the community. You're not (2pgfix) part of the Hosting & PR Department, not Community. Getting "your damn job done" is perfectly fine, as long as you don't overstep your authority and start messing with other people's jobs. If you feel you have the wrong position, then you should apply for a different one, not just start doing their business on your own.

On another note: regular members ("New Members" and "Posting Members") can now also delete their own posts.

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#74 Bereneth Túrien

Bereneth Túrien

Ni degilbor

• Members
  • 414 posts
  • Projects:Working on my own mod.
  •  Former advisor.

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:36 AM

I just noticed how cool it looks to quote people seven times in one post.

No, it looks bad and is clutter, so I'd prefer if you don't do it. Your signature is also too large, as is Elvenlords :tongevil: (despite the smiley, I'm serious!)

My signature is exactly 191 px. Last time I checked the limit was 200.

I used to be {AE}Manveru, if that rings a bell.

#75 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:55 AM

Hmm, you're right. I must be bad at guessing sizes on screen.

#76 Bereneth Túrien

Bereneth Túrien

Ni degilbor

• Members
  • 414 posts
  • Projects:Working on my own mod.
  •  Former advisor.

Posted 08 October 2009 - 01:14 PM

[quote name='2playgames' date='Oct 8 2009, 07:55 AM' post='757132']
Elven's, however, is 220px. He should probably just choose one of his TEA bars (or better yet, just move them both on the same line below his other bars. Elven, if you're reading this, that would take 40px off your sig and make it small enough).

And 2pg, don't feel too bad that you miscalculated the size. It's 10px away from being too big.

Edited by {AE}Manveru, 08 October 2009 - 01:15 PM.

I used to be {AE}Manveru, if that rings a bell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users