7 replies to this topic

#1 Black Temple Gaurdian

Black Temple Gaurdian

dead and back again

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  Fallen Dragon

Posted 06 October 2009 - 02:14 PM

Just a quick question, will RS 2.0 be using Ares?

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

according to our determinedly dopey Prime Minister Mr Brown, Obama also has a beach in Normandy named after him. If that can't win you an election, what can?

#2 Pepzi

Pepzi
  • Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 03:22 PM

Hm, I guess it depends if it has anything useful (to this mod) to offer at this stage. What things would you personally want to see made possible that would require Ares?

#3 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 06 October 2009 - 03:58 PM

What, pray tell, is Ares?

#4 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 06 October 2009 - 04:25 PM

A YR hack often considered the sequel to RockPatch, only this one doesnt directly add code into a new exe. Instead it uses something called "Syringe", developed by pd, which allows code to be inserted into the YR exe. Ares is a dll which has new code fixing various YR bugs and adding new logics. The Syringe system does mean anyone who knows C++ can add any code they like into the YR engine.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#5 rsborl

rsborl
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 01:35 AM

Since Ares will take some time to be out, I don't personally have a burning passion for it at the moment.

Edited by rsborl, 07 October 2009 - 01:43 AM.

#6 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:31 AM

A YR hack often considered the sequel to RockPatch, only this one doesnt directly add code into a new exe. Instead it uses something called "Syringe", developed by pd, which allows code to be inserted into the YR exe. Ares is a dll which has new code fixing various YR bugs and adding new logics. The Syringe system does mean anyone who knows C++ can add any code they like into the YR engine.

Ah, I see. Will it work with RockPatch/NPatch installed? Since not everyone is blessed with C++ knowledge...and surely it would require everyone else to have the exact same version of the injected code as you? I expect different modders would need different logics.

Still, at present, RS2.0 uses NPatch. I believe Apollo is monitoring Ares progress and may implement when it has everything he wants and needs.

#7 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 07 October 2009 - 12:41 PM

Ah, I see. Will it work with RockPatch/NPatch installed? Since not everyone is blessed with C++ knowledge...and surely it would require everyone else to have the exact same version of the injected code as you? I expect different modders would need different logics.

No, it doesnt work with NP/RP as far as I know. Ares is there for peope who dont know C++ and cant do it themselves, its just possible for extra logics to be added if needed. I think its come a bit too late in YR modding though...

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#8 Apollo

Apollo

The bringer of doom

• Hosted
  • 3,467 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm, Project Phantom
  •  1337 Modder

Posted 11 October 2009 - 07:42 PM

Well, the mod isn't even done features wise and ideally those be done first prior to such plans.

Also ARES doesn't yet have all the features needed but of course situation can change in future.

Edited by Apollo, 12 October 2009 - 08:56 AM.

Posted Image

EAApoc wrote:
The only written law in a C&C game I ever saw is please Mr.Developer make it fun and give me a lot of **** to explode, o and don't you ever get another soul to play Kane but Joe Kucan. Aside from those two rules, all bets are off =) hehe
-APOC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users