this is why the US needs gun control

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#1 Rawlo

Rawlo

Word Smith

• Project Team
  • 1,616 posts
  •  as it turns out, was never actually a convict, go figure.

Posted 11 October 2009 - 12:17 AM

http://news.ninemsn.....aspx?id=874231

What a bloody red neck, shoot first ask questions later. here in australia he would have been arrested and sent to jail for man slaughter. the 'burgeler' wasn't attacking him so he can't exactly claim self defence. But they reckon he's gonna get off scot free. I think thats bloody pathetic.
The Least I Could Do - We all wished we were like this at one point
Ctrl+Alt+Del - A webcomic for the gamer in all of us
A final good night Burnie, sleep well mate, rest in peace
Goodbye Tig, you are sorely missed.
Goodbye to you aswell till, you'll also be missed

Xeno, RIP mate
"I'm going to go on the record and say that any substance abuse problem which creates women like that is ok by me"

#2 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 11 October 2009 - 12:26 AM

Amazing.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#3 Bereneth Túrien

Bereneth Túrien

Ni degilbor

• Members
  • 414 posts
  • Projects:Working on my own mod.
  •  Former advisor.

Posted 11 October 2009 - 12:43 AM

My god. Didn't even bother to turn on a light or anything?

I used to be {AE}Manveru, if that rings a bell.

#4 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 11 October 2009 - 02:56 AM

The story has a sad ending unfortunately, and I hate to see people die. But he does have a right to protect himself and his property. Just happened he was wrong this time. He still should be charged with at least manslaughter for it. Now if it was an actual burglar, it would be different.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#5 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:33 AM

And so if he wasn't so trigger happy, if America had proper gun laws, his fiancée wouldn't be dead.

I feel sorry for the guy, but at the same time i'm just thinking 'its all your fault' and 'you have no one to blame but yourself', mixed with just a little hint of 'serves you right'. You don't need guns. I don't have a gun, most countries have proper gun laws, America it seems needs to grow up. They're like kids who don't want their toys taken away from them. But i don't really want to start up the whole guns argument again, cause the americans on here who are for guns are almost fanatic in their conviction that they need them, and no amount of persuasion will make them see reason, so its pointless.

Now if only America as a whole could learn from this guy's misfortune, and enact proper gun laws and in their country...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Dant

Dant

title available

• Members
  • 937 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:44 AM

Such a sad story indeed...
Posted Image

#7 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:56 AM

I don't feel sorry for him at all.

I'm all in favour of guns kept in the home, but at very least identify who/what you are shooting at before you shoot. People as idiotic as him shouldn't be allowed guns.

Definitely a manslaughter charge because he was negligent - he didn't verify that his target was actually a burglar. That and you can't sentence someone for being powerfully stupid. I expect the fiancee's family won't be too chuffed about it and will probably press charges. And rightly fucking so.

#8 Tom

Tom

title available

• Undead
  • 8,475 posts
  • Projects:Life
  •  Co-Founder of Revora

Posted 11 October 2009 - 12:02 PM

Another case of an idiot misusing a weapon. I'm against gun control because you have the right to defend yourself in your own home. This guy was just an idiot. I feel sorry for his fiancee. Seriously what a dumb ass.

#9 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 11 October 2009 - 02:27 PM

Now if it was an actual burglar, it would be different.

No, then he still should not have shot the burglar unless he attacked him.
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#10 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts
  •  Friendly neighborhood standards Nazi

Posted 11 October 2009 - 03:10 PM

And new from the makers of the shotgun-wedding; the shotgun-death-shall-we-part.
Good thing he was firing shots around the house though, the King of England could've snuck in if he let down the iron curtain!

World Domination Status: 2.7%

#11 Downfall

Downfall

Scenarist

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  There is one?

Posted 11 October 2009 - 03:10 PM

Usually when you put people in the dark, they get frightened (which is why he seemed trigger happy).

Like this one story I remember granted it's not real but still :p

A man and his wife go out to dinner leaving their little girl home. They go out have fun, seemingly having good time away from all the stress inside the home. When they come home they call for the little girl's name and get no response. Then they hear a noise coming from upstairs in the girl's room. The father goes and grabs his gun.

They make their way up to her room and find no one inside. Then the noise, from earlier, came from her closet. He points the gun and heads toward the closet. He slowly opens the closet door, and the little girl pops out and screams "BOO". He shoots her in the head and she dies right then and there. He falls to the ground sobbing because he just killed his little girl.

What the story is meant to illustrate is that human beings are emotional and not logical beings. Because if we were logical the father instead of being scared, grabbing his gun, and shooting his child out of fear, he would have dismissed the noise as being his daughter upstairs playing.
"Human beings make strange fauna and flora. From a distance they appear negligible; up close they are apt to appear ugly and malicious."
Henry Miller, Tropic of Cancer

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 Taralom

Taralom

Self-proclaimed A**hole

• Project Team
  • 1,519 posts
  • Projects:Turned to Writing
  •  I R GOOGL'd

Posted 11 October 2009 - 03:15 PM

Chief Brunelle said detective were waiting on forensic results but added that no charges were likely to be filed against Mr Tabutt.

What in the name of...?
No charges? At all? :p
Well, that's an easy way to get away with murder! I wish I was an American!

Seriously, I do not feel bad for this guy. I feel bad for the lady. She is dead because of his idiocy! :p
If the above post offended you in any way,
please take note that, until further notice, I don't care, so get lost.

#13 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 11 October 2009 - 04:22 PM

Good thing he was firing shots around the house though, the King of England could've snuck in if he let down the iron curtain!

Oh Jeeves, you do make me laugh :p

That poor fiancée. That stupid man.

#14 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 11 October 2009 - 04:46 PM

No, then he still should not have shot the burglar unless he attacked him.

Yes because we all know the burglar played fair by breaking in. Fuck that. I have the right to defend my home, family and property.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Steam

#15 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:07 PM

There's such a thing as an overreaction
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#16 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:12 PM

Yes because we all know the burglar played fair by breaking in. Fuck that. I have the right to defend my home, family and property.

Only if you value your property higher than the life of another human being, burglar or not.
You should have the right to defend yourself (your life) if he attacks you, or not be guilty if you thought that's what happened, but just shooting everything that moves because it's "in your house" is idiotic.

Edited by Dark Lord of the Sith, 11 October 2009 - 09:12 PM.

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#17 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  Greedy capitalist and cynical bastard.

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:55 PM

Shooting a burglar is perfectly fine, in my opinion. Those fucktards shouldn't enter my house and take my possessions or threaten my family - or they'll face the consequences. And of course I won't shoot at anything that moves - only if I know for certain it's a burglar.

Makes me think about a situation here in Holland. A burglar broke in a store, stole some boxes of cigarretes, but then the police arrived. Together with his buddy he drove away, ignoring the warnings of the police. He also drove through a police barricade. When the police noticed his buddy was getting something from inside the car, they thought he was picking up a gun, so naturally they fired at the car.

Well, turns out the guy wasn't picking up a gun after all. One bullet hit the burglar, he's blind on one eye, and now the burglar's charging the police for shooting at him. He's in the newspapers with a sad story with a picture showing his poor little face.

Where the fuck is the world going to...
It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#18 Ring o' Fate

Ring o' Fate

The Ghost.

• Project Team
  • 1,627 posts
  • Projects:Trying to find meaning...
  •  The guy that is just a ghost.

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:43 PM

...And you guys think AMERICANS need a grip on their guns? :p
I'm all for having guns, but I am against the fact that the smart gun owners should get their guns taken away because one goddamn jackass shot him/herself\someone he/she knows. The only way a gun kills someone is if you, the moron carrying the gun, pulls the trigger.
A changed man is only the same man with a different outlook of life.

#19 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 11 October 2009 - 11:15 PM

There's such a thing as an overreaction

Yes there is, but when you feel you're in imminent danger, you don't stop to think.

Only if you value your property higher than the life of another human being, burglar or not.

If I worked for it, I don't have the right protect what I worked for? No, no, no. It doesn't work that way.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Steam

#20 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Job:Leader

Posted 11 October 2009 - 11:16 PM

That depends on where you live. Placing the value of your precious material belongings over the life of another human being is pathetically self-centred. By all means, hold the bastard at gunpoint, tell him to get the fuck down, then call the cops, but don't fucking shoot a man just for breaking into your house. If he comes at you, then yes, you are at liberty to take him down, though preferably through a bullet in the leg or shoulder.

Edited by Matias, 11 October 2009 - 11:18 PM.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users