Nazgul slayer

• Banned
  • 111 posts
  • Projects:Tom Bombadil [game]
  •  Black sheep

Posted 24 October 2009 - 05:52 PM

Tom Bombadilo

Game info:
A third person adventure game of course, featuring Tom Bombadil. All his adventures will take place in the old forest, because as some of you may know he can't leave the bounderies he has set up for himself. He will be able to do the following.
  • Walk
  • Skip
  • Sing
  • Jump
  • Magic
When you don't do anything you will just walk by pushing forward. When you push backwards the plan is that he should turn 180* and keep walking towards the camera until the camera catches up with Tom. The camera will have a slow parent on it. Skip or whatever you call it will be instead of running. Instead of fighting, Tom will sing! he will have different songs that works on different opponents.

He will also be able to jump like in platformers. You would use jump to pass obstacles like, fallen trees, stones in the river etc. Magic is singing too. But magic is more like teleportation/buffs and healing. While singing is used more to drive away beasts and wraiths.

Characters

Tom Bombadil:

Tom Bombadil is a spry fellow, with a quick, playful wit. He speaks in a rhyming whimsical way: "Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo!/ Ring a dong! hop along! fal lal the willow! Tom Bom, jolly Tom, Tom Bombadillo!" He has a jolly, carefree attitude, and very little seems to concern him. He certainly does not seem to share the same concerns as everybody else about the One Ring, even though he seems to know at least as much as the hobbits about its connections and possible consequences. Indeed, this aspect of his personality seems quite perplexing: the discussions of those at the council of Elrond at Rivendell, and especially those of Gandalf, seem to indicate that Bombadil would not be immune to the actions of a rejuvenated Sauron; however, he seems to be wholly unconcerned with this fact and immune to the power of the Ring. In fact, the closest thing to an adversary Bombadil has, in the loosest sense of that word, is possibly Old Man Willow, who occupies and holds dominion over the trees in miles of Tom's "country"; although Bombadil does seem to demonstrate at least some control over him.

Tom Bombadil's origins in the cosmology of Middle-earth were left vague by Tolkien. He calls himself the "Eldest" and the "Master". He claims to remember "the first raindrop and the first acorn", and "knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside." He does not neatly fit into the categories of beings Tolkien created. Speculative ideas about his true nature range from one of the Ainur, angelic beings (who came after the dark lord and shaped the earth), or God, who is called Eru Ilúvatar and "the One" in Tolkien's legendarium (the latter in The Lord of the Rings). This is reinforced when Frodo asks Goldberry just who Tom Bombadil is, and she responds by simply saying "He is." [1]

At the Council of Elrond, Tom Bombadil is referred to by Galdor as being unable to deal with a siege by Sauron "unless such power is in the earth itself", implying that the character is a manifestation of Middle-earth's inherent properties. This connection explains Bombadil's seeming obliviousness to the transient concerns of mortals, as evidenced in Gandalf's concern that Tom would not understand the importance of the ring, and hence lose it, if it were entrusted to him. The idea that Tom's songs are always "stronger", as he proclaims in his rhyme, as well as his title of Master, further suggest Bombadil is the warden or avatar of the nearly invincible aspects of the planet itself.

Goldberry:

Goldberry also known as the "River-woman's daughter," she is the wife of Tom Bombadil.

Although her origins are uncertain, it has been speculated that she is not a mortal human being, but rather a spirit of the river Withywindle in the Old Forest of Tolkien's Middle-earth, similar to the many named river spirits of traditional English folklore such as Peg Powler of the River Tees, although noticeably gentler. Otherwise, she and Bombadil are enigmas in Tolkien's Middle-earth legendarium. Her name may be a Westron derivative of the Sindarin Golodh-bereth, meaning "Flower Queen". Another explanation offered up for her is that she was originally a Maia spirit who "went native", binding herself to the river, perhaps somewhat like Melian binding herself to Elu Thingol.[1] Others have speculated that she may even be Yavanna herself,

Old man willow:

According to Tom Bombadil, long ago at the dawn of time in Middle-earth, long before even Awakening of the Elves, trees were the only inhabitants of vast stretches of the world. Because the Elves awoke far in the East, it was still a considerable time before any other beings spread into the vast primeval forests of western Middle-earth. A handful of trees survived from this time until the present day, who are angered at the encroachment of Elves and Men and their dominion over the earth; trees who bitterly remember a time long ago when they were as Lords of vast regions of the world. Bombadil relates that of the corrupted trees of the Old Forest, "none were more dangerous than the Great Willow; his heart was rotten, but his strength was green; and he was cunning, and a master of winds, and his song and thought ran through the woods on both sides of the river. His grey thirsty spirit drew power out of the earth and spread like fine root-threads in the ground, and invisible twig-fingers in the air, till it had under its dominion nearly all the trees of the Forest from the Hedge to the Downs.

Wraith:

Ghostly beings that existed more in the hidden Wraith-world than our own. The most famous of these were the Ring-wraiths, Men ensnared by Sauron's Nine Rings, but their victims, too, were transformed into wraiths.

Huorns:

Huorns are creatures much like Ents, but it is not clear if Huorns are Ents that have become treeish, or trees that have become Entish. It is implied that both varieties exist, though the theory espoused by the characters is that Huorns are Ents who have become more treeish and wild.

Huorns are much more dangerous and less intellectual than their more awake counterparts. They especially hate orcs, but any creatures that chop wood too freely are their enemies. They are vengeful, but their methods of exacting revenge are unspecified; people do not leave the forest if the Huorns do not let them. Huorns can create darkness to conceal their movements and are capable of moving quickly. They still have voices and can speak to the Ents, but unlike Ents, they do not seem able to speak intelligibly to other races.

Animals:

Animals that live in the old forest, talking animals.

Story
I'm not sure in what time the story will take place. Tom has lived since the world's creation. So either the story can be be
imaginary. Or it could be taken from one of the more famous poems made by JRR Tolkien. But there is a lot to be done before it's time to think about the storyline. And what each level should be about.

Screenshots
Posted Image

if you got any ideas or want to help you can. I'm working alone atm. If you want to help here is what you can do:
  • Modeler
  • Texturer (Badly needed)
  • Python coder
  • Bge logic bricks
  • Concept/Ideas
Peace! :p

Ok I got 4 different versions of Tom. Which version do you like best and why? And is there anything you would like to see that is not on him? If there is nothing that needs to be added, I'm gonna take a break from Tom and his textures and start working on Goldberry :p

Edited by Hermoor, 26 October 2009 - 10:02 PM.

This is just a suggestion...the text above.

#2 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  • Projects:It'sa secreeet
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Expert
  • Donated

Posted 24 October 2009 - 06:12 PM

1st one, or the 4th one, are my picks.

https://www.twitch.tv/vileartist - Yes shameless self-promotion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Old modders never die, they just fade away" ~ Hostile

#3 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 24 October 2009 - 06:24 PM

4th one, definately.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#4 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 24 October 2009 - 06:50 PM

4th. And Tom should be able to fight badgers. :p
BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#5 Hermoor

Hermoor

Nazgul slayer

• Banned
  • 111 posts
  •  Black sheep

Posted 24 October 2009 - 06:54 PM

I have used two references when I made this model. This image:
http://www.beleriand...tombombadil.jpg
which is the 4th image. And then this one that are all the other three, or the one that is the closest and latest version is the 2nd one.
http://www.tolkienli...ss/jos/a-09.jpg
Anyway I started on goldberry, the wife of Tom, will have a update in 30 min I think. Tell me what you think, or what you want to add etc :p
http://img10.imagesh...flowerbody.tif/

What are badgers? I need more enemy suggestions, all I know lives in old forest is. Wraiths and living dangerous trees. And animals of course. Thought old man willow could be a last boss if I ever get that far. :p Gold berry wip below.
Posted Image

Edited by Hermoor, 24 October 2009 - 11:37 PM.

#6 Dant

Dant

title available

• Members
  • 937 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 11:31 PM

4th. And Tom should be a bit fat. :p
Posted Image

#7 Hermoor

Hermoor

Nazgul slayer

• Banned
  • 111 posts
  •  Black sheep

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:01 AM

Why should he be fat? Does it say he is fat in the book?

#8 Dant

Dant

title available

• Members
  • 937 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:03 AM

Nope. But he will look much better...if you ask me :shiftee2:
Posted Image

#9 MirkwoodArcher

MirkwoodArcher

Sharpshooter of Mirkwood

• Members
  • 1,280 posts
  •  Hooded one
  • Job:PR and Recruiter

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:07 AM

I think it would add to Tom more of a jolly look. After all, he is kind of plump in BfME. :shiftee2:
Posted Image

#10 Hermoor

Hermoor

Nazgul slayer

• Banned
  • 111 posts
  •  Black sheep

Posted 25 October 2009 - 01:08 AM

Bfme is hardly canon, and being fat is never good. Even though you get the santa vibe of fat people with beard. But no I like to keep him not fat. It would be a inspiration for all the fat people out there. And encourage them to take care of their body. So they don't think it's "ok".

#11 MirkwoodArcher

MirkwoodArcher

Sharpshooter of Mirkwood

• Members
  • 1,280 posts
  •  Hooded one
  • Job:PR and Recruiter

Posted 25 October 2009 - 01:14 AM

Bfme is hardly canon, and being fat is never good. Even though you get the santa vibe of fat people with beard. But no I like to keep him not fat. It would be a inspiration for all the fat people out there. And encourage them to take care of their body. So they don't think it's "ok".

You're the designer. :shiftee2:
Posted Image

#12 Dant

Dant

title available

• Members
  • 937 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 01:32 AM

I'm fine with everything though. :shiftee2:
Posted Image

#13 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

The John Farnham of modding

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  • Projects:Comeback tour
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 25 October 2009 - 04:41 AM

errrrr......

Break dancing into the hearts of millions

#14 Florisz

Florisz

The Young Reindeer

• Project Team
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 09:15 AM

Nah Tom should at least have a little belly that he can swing like a bowl full of jelly... :shiftee2:
Posted Image

#15 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 25 October 2009 - 01:23 PM

I'm supporting Rad's statement...

errrrr......

If your trying to encourage fat people to loose weight, you won't be doing a good job in a game :shiftee2:
Besides, I think they are more sick of skinny people who show up everywhere... I know I am, and I'm not fat :p

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#16 Hermoor

Hermoor

Nazgul slayer

• Banned
  • 111 posts
  •  Black sheep

Posted 25 October 2009 - 02:05 PM

If he would be fatter than he already is. (See first screenshot in first post) I would have to do some heavy reconstruction to his clothes and meh. He got a small belly already. Absolutley no six pack. I thought something more along these lines for Tom.
Posted Image
The cover below, was made when JRR tolkien was alive. So he must have approved it...as you can see he is not fat. And the last reply was not to be taken seriously. :shiftee2:
Posted Image
Ok gonna start working on Goldberry...will have something to show in a moment.

#17 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 25 October 2009 - 02:37 PM

He's got a grey beard on that cover... :shiftee2:

Still, he should have an old mans belly

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#18 Hermoor

Hermoor

Nazgul slayer

• Banned
  • 111 posts
  •  Black sheep

Posted 25 October 2009 - 02:40 PM

It doesn't say that in the book or somewhere else. And the original book cover by Tolkien he is not fat. He has only been made fat in later works. Games and illustrations of him. Anyway, fixed goldberries face. Think it looks ok now, gonna start on the hair. For real :p EDIT: Gave her some bombadil textures to give you an idea of how she will look with textures.
Posted Image
The hair is in one pony tail right down her back? Like this?
Posted Image
There is something on the left side of her head not a pony tail maybe? How does her hair look like you think? One pony tail? Two pony tails?
http://www.timefold....s/goldberry.jpg

Edited by Hermoor, 25 October 2009 - 08:43 PM.

#19 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 25 October 2009 - 08:37 PM

Posted Image

BADGER!

In The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, I believe that a bunch of badgers try to trap Tom underground. :p
BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#20 Hermoor

Hermoor

Nazgul slayer

• Banned
  • 111 posts
  •  Black sheep

Posted 25 October 2009 - 08:42 PM

Oh really xD I should read the poems, anyone know where to find them online? Then there will be:

-Wraiths (Ghosts sent by the witch king)
-Badgers (Ambushes Tom at some point)
-Huorns (Living angry trees)
-Old man willow (Oldest and the most powerful tree, possible the last boss)

Should have a few more maybe. :p Thanks for the badgers.

Edited by Hermoor, 25 October 2009 - 08:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users