C&C Guild Version 3

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Nighthawk

Nighthawk

Grumble Grumble.

• Division Leaders
  • 2,947 posts
  • Projects:The Third War, Ares, misc side projects.
  •  Strategist and Modder
  • Division:C&C Guild
  • Job:Division Leader
  • Association

Posted 25 October 2009 - 11:26 PM

Greetings, everyone.

After months of work from everyone, the new Guild site is finally up and running. Those of you who have used CNC3.net in the past or frequent The 3rd Age or Petrolution will probably notice the similarities in functionality, because the underlying system is the same one.

You can add tutorials and other articles under the Tutorials category.
Mods can have their own personal pages under the Mods category, and I would advise all hostees to do this as soon as possible.
You can also submit downloads to the Downloads category, but for now we would prefer if you continue to submit assets for the older C&C games to YR Argentina or in the forums.
To log into the site, simply use your Revora username and password.

Credit for the original site design goes to Brad and Duke, DLotS and 2play are responsible for the coding wonders, and you have Puppeteer to thank for the banner.

There will be more stuff to come in the following weeks, but for now, go have a look around. That's all for now.

Nighthawk.
Division Leader.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Job Openings with the Guild: Division Staff, News Posters.
Job Openings with Ares: Documentation Maintainer, Active Testers.

PM if interested.

#2 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 25 October 2009 - 11:55 PM

Yay, finally :)
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#3 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 26 October 2009 - 01:28 AM

my nortons AV found the site unsafe with 12 threats. Rockpatch is coming up as threats.

http://safeweb.norto...rl=cncguild.net

#4 True Lord of Chaos

True Lord of Chaos

I have returned, mostly out of boredom.

• Members
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 01:39 AM

Hardly any of the mods are put up, but they'll probably be up soon.
Other then that, great job :)

Hello everyone. I am back.

#5 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 26 October 2009 - 01:40 AM

Umm, gotta say I dont really like the site. Its way too round and bubbly for my taste and that "C&C Guild" banner text is... horrible. IMO. Hell even the fonts arnt unified.

I think you should also definately only have the games listed (under mods section) that we actually have mods for, else it just looks empty. eg there are no TD or RA1 mods so they shouldnt even be there.

Edited by OmegaBolt, 26 October 2009 - 01:47 AM.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts
  • Projects:PPM, PPM: Final Dawn, OS SHP Builder, OS Palette Editor, OS W3D Viewer, VXLSE III, etc...
  •  Retired Network Leader
  • Job:Maintenance Admin

Posted 26 October 2009 - 01:58 AM

Hey guys, just as quick note for those who enjoyed the old site, here's the link:
http://www.cncguild.net/oldindex.php

In the next months, we'll port all content from it to the new layout.

my nortons AV found the site unsafe with 12 threats. Rockpatch is coming up as threats.

Rockpatch adds code and modify gamemd.exe, so it sorta acts like a virus, although it is harmless. Norton is probably reporting it as a virus because of this behaviour.

Umm, gotta say I dont really like the site. Its way too round and bubbly for my taste and that "C&C Guild" banner text is... horrible. IMO. Hell even the fonts arnt unified.

I agree with you that the layout could get a lot of improvements and rounded menus doesn't really fit the hardcore C&C style at all.

I think you should also definately only have the games listed (under mods section) that we actually have mods for, else it just looks empty. eg there are no TD or RA1 mods so they shouldnt even be there.

This idea would be interesting if the users weren't able to contribute with content, including articles. Now any registered visitor can post a modding tutorial. Tiberian Dawn, RA1 are moddable games and anyone can contribute with tutorials for it.
Project Perfect Mod

Command & Conquer Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, Tools, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Posted Image

#7 Hostile

Hostile

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 26 October 2009 - 02:03 AM

Well if Rockpatch shows up as a possible virus, that will deter new users from coming to the site.

#8 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts
  • Projects:PPM, PPM: Final Dawn, OS SHP Builder, OS Palette Editor, OS W3D Viewer, VXLSE III, etc...
  •  Retired Network Leader
  • Job:Maintenance Admin

Posted 26 October 2009 - 04:01 AM

It's a false positive from a single antivirus. 99% of the world's population does not use Norton. Perhaps a bit less than 99 doesn't use it.
Project Perfect Mod

Command & Conquer Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, Tools, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Posted Image

#9 Hostile

Hostile

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 26 October 2009 - 04:34 AM

Most of the AV software I sell in my store is Nortons. I'd have to say 99% seems to be a made up figure, I couldn't find any sources to back that up. Unless you have one...

#10 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

5700 vxl files & counting...

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  • Projects:D-Day
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:12 AM

Those files have been there for 2 years & AFAIK you are the first person to bring it up. I have the same problem with Avast tho but I know what they are & just ignore it like most ppl probably do.

I think the design isn't very CnC ish too, I might do a quick reskin when I work on the new YR:Arg in a few weeks.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 Nighthawk

Nighthawk

Grumble Grumble.

• Division Leaders
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Strategist and Modder
  • Association

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:58 AM

Those files have been there for 2 years & AFAIK you are the first person to bring it up.

Second. Someone PMed me about the exact same thing earlier in the month. :)
Posted Image
Posted Image

PM if interested.

#12 Nyerguds

Nyerguds
  • Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:29 PM

The cool YR and TS banner replaced by awful red C&C3/Kane's Warts tiberium? Ew...

#13 Hostile

Hostile

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 27 October 2009 - 02:43 AM

They just started showing up as threats for me. I've never had an issue. Just appears maybe Nortons might have added cnc guild to the list recently.

#14 Nighthawk

Nighthawk

Grumble Grumble.

• Division Leaders
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Strategist and Modder
  • Association

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:22 AM

Norton's virus database probably recently included some kind of virus with a similar structure to RockPatch's EXE patcher. Nothing to worry about. Having used them for years, I can safely say they're not viruses. :crazed:
Posted Image
Posted Image

PM if interested.

#15 Lee

Lee

title available

• Division Leaders
  • 2,313 posts
  • Projects:Life
  • Division:Art & Design

Posted 27 October 2009 - 05:32 PM

A tip. Try to stick to a certain font with design. Too many different fonts clash and it just makes the overall look not very appealing.

As someone already stated it's looking a little too round. I think people have gotten into their heads that this simple 'Web 2.0' look can be put with any old website. Don't be afraid to stick to the retro pixilated design with plenty of detail, these generally tend to be the most appealing with gaming websites. Think of armour and gun barrels whilst steering away from the cheesy big and blocky look.

I strongly recommend revising this design for the C&C Guild. Not saying it's a bad design, it would look great as a blog design, however definitely not C&C Guild material.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 27 October 2009 - 05:36 PM

Just for your information, this design was ripped from our old cncra3.net site. It's not like we sat down for this and decided it was the best one for the guild.
We could do a redesign, but we have few designers and many more important things that need designing. :unsure: :crazed:
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users