#2 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:36 AM

Hrm, I looked at it. It didn't do the things that I wanted it to do. Their other products don't, either (RPG Maker...they've done so many versions that seem to get better in one or more areas, but then decide to get super-shitty in other areas).

I also have no programming knowledge so I would be unable to make it do them. So yeah. :crazed:

#3 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:28 PM

I used to, a long time ago. Game Maker is awesome for learning how game development works, but you shouldn't stretch it too far (as many people try to). You can make many things with it, but once you learn a real progamming language you'll think "is this really that easy? why was it so hard in game maker..." a lot.
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#4 Longleaf

Longleaf
  • Project Team
  • 233 posts
  •  I have blue text ?

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:32 PM

I am thinking of learning C++ .

#5 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:22 PM

Ok, that's good. I personally don't know C++ very well, I only know C. I hate using either language for real work, but knowing them gives you a good understanding of how software works which can help you when programming in a more usable language (PHP, Java, Actionscript, etc.)
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#6 Longleaf

Longleaf
  • Project Team
  • 233 posts
  •  I have blue text ?

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:40 PM

How easy is Java to learn ?

#7 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:56 PM

Easy :p

#8 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 28 October 2009 - 05:38 AM

Ah, good old game maker. Learnt how to use it back a few years ago for my ats(advance technology studies) class.
The silly thing is that now a few years on from that, we are learning how to use a different, much more childish game making program called KNP, However i am sorta working on a game maker game right now anyway.

Game maker is quite good for going around making little games, It can do a bunch of stuff once you figure out how to, and is fairly simple nce you get the hang of it.

(if you are using game maker i will say i have found this useful at times, it shows the GML code equivalent to drag and drop actions. So just encase you have a need for it at some point, there it is.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 Longleaf

Longleaf
  • Project Team
  • 233 posts
  •  I have blue text ?

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:06 AM

Hey thanks for the link may come in handy.

#10 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:11 PM

"is this really that easy? why was it so hard in game maker..." a lot.

Not when you're playing with DirectX and Direct3D.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#11 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:40 PM

Yeah, but then you're trying the hard stuff. There are far more usable 2D graphics APIs out there that already give you more power than Game Maker (Java's default Java2D, for example).

Game Maker's data model is also bad. Variables can have two types (string and number) and you have arrays, but they cannot be passed along. Passing an array to a function will actually only pass it's first element (lolwut?). You could use an object, but in Game Maker each object is a fully graphical and physical object in the game world. You can't have simple struct-like things.

Nope, I prefer my arrays, lists, sets, collections and simple objects. :p

#12 Tom

Tom

title available

• Undead
  • 8,475 posts
  • Projects:Life
  •  Co-Founder of Revora

Posted 28 October 2009 - 07:23 PM

I taught game maker to kids at my camp for the last two years mainly trying to get them to actually code stuff in it rather than just use the drag and drop blocks.

#13 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Job:Artist

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:59 AM

We had a day of game-maker at my 3d school this spring. Made some 2d plane flying over the seas, shooting down other planes and stuff. Was easy enough to get into once you understood the graphical "coding" stuff, but I bet you can get further if you know a bit of coding and learn some other API.

Then again, coding can be a bastard at times.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#14 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 03:57 PM

For me...all the time. Sadly none of the game-creation software I have used have allowed me to do what I wanted to do. I've tried all the versions of RPG Maker...all of them lack something another version has. Which really sucks (and afaik, all of them lack the ability to make a spell that drains health from enemy and adds it to you).

Oh well. FPS Creator trial begins shortly...

#15 Longleaf

Longleaf
  • Project Team
  • 233 posts
  •  I have blue text ?

Posted 30 October 2009 - 09:01 PM

Meh FPSC could use some touch ups.

#16 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 12:14 AM

Or to actually work. I deinstalled because it wouldn't even load up.

#17 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts
  •  Friendly neighborhood standards Nazi

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:08 AM

The Games lecturers always trying to get me to work on online multiplayer DX3D projects in C++... I politely decline and go echo hello world a few times in PHP to try and pretend I'm not useless at programming :party:

But seriously, if you want to program, learn a language. If you want to learn a language, pick one thats easy for you to play with. I write teh interwebz, so naturally I'd tell you PHP is quick and easy to pick up, and teach you all the basics. However, you might be more inclined to try to start with an OO-language like C++ if you're no stranger to "hello world." (I'd also probably tell you PHP has more online tutorials than you can point a stick at, and the best documentation - MSDN is for people who already know the language...)

Also, set yourself an achievable goal, and do it. Something you could actually manage, break each bit into little steps, then turn them into code. Really its all just deciding what objects you're dealing with, and describing interactions between them.

Or learn python, and be cool

World Domination Status: 2.7%

#18 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:10 AM

However, you might be more inclined to try to start with an OO-language like C++ if you're no stranger to "hello world."

C++ is C hacked to be OO. A real OO-language would be Java, or C# :party:

#19 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 12:27 AM

Okay, now we're creating a whole nother language by speaking in abbreviated riddles. What is OO?

#20 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts
  •  Friendly neighborhood standards Nazi

Posted 06 November 2009 - 08:55 AM

Object Oriented, as opposed to Procedural.
Procedural programming is like a to-do list, you write out the steps and the program goes through them line by line.
This can get messy if you want to execute code above you, so OO revolves around storing data in objects and classes. An object can contain attributes methods and functions, like a car object has wheels, is red, and can drive(). Classes then function as blueprints, so if you wanted different car objects, you can create a class with the variables and functions and use it to make objects.
Bit more headfucky, but more efficient and manageable.

World Domination Status: 2.7%

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users