All Infantry have Mounting ability?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Prince of the Dark Forest

Prince of the Dark Forest
  • Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 07:56 PM

I read up that every soldier in Rohan's army was able to ride a horse and fight on one.

To make the faction that much more unique, how about including a lv5 ability for Yeoman Archers and Rohan Spearmen (basic infantry units in general) to be able to mount?

So, aside from the usually Rohirrim riders (skilled in both ranged and melee combat) available expensively from the Stables, you could invest in cheaper infantry and train them to Lv5 before promoting them to Rohirrim (with the ability to go back to fighting on foot)

I don't think we NEED to complicate the system, but something like this where at an end-game situation, your entire army of veteran infantry is mounted and ready for war, is reminiscient of Rohan's military force during the Battle of Pellenor Fields.

What are your comments on this idea?

-Prince of Mirkwood

Edited by Prince of the Dark Forest, 28 October 2009 - 07:56 PM.

Ignited into the world in a flash of lightning, it gleams faintly in the heart of its mother, wood. It begins as an ember, a mere wisp of heat and colour. Its chance of survival at this critical moment is minute, yet it fights on, against the unforgiving cold, against the depths of night and against its mortal enemy: rain.

#2 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  • Projects:BFME2 - Nazgûl's Special Extended Edition
  •  Veteran

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:05 PM

Unfortionately it's not possible to have hordes mount horses. If it was, I'm sure many mods would have that. I'd like that for Rohan Royal Guard, but instead they are two separate hordes in next beta. One on foot and one on horses... It's a shame really

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
"Do not come between the Nazgûl and his mod!"
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I S.E.E. YOU! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#3 Prince of the Dark Forest

Prince of the Dark Forest
  • Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:18 PM

I see. I was under the impression that the Royal Guard would be able to mount/dismount... that's a bummer.
Ignited into the world in a flash of lightning, it gleams faintly in the heart of its mother, wood. It begins as an ember, a mere wisp of heat and colour. Its chance of survival at this critical moment is minute, yet it fights on, against the unforgiving cold, against the depths of night and against its mortal enemy: rain.

#4 Rob38

Rob38

Believer of Hope

• Hosted
  • 3,567 posts
  • Projects:Helm's Deep Last Hope
  •  One who is not afraid of new challenges

Posted 06 November 2009 - 02:35 AM

Unfortionately it's not possible to have hordes mount horses. If it was, I'm sure many mods would have that. I'd like that for Rohan Royal Guard, but instead they are two separate hordes in next beta. One on foot and one on horses... It's a shame really

Wrong. Check my article here. :xd:

signature_group1.gif

16821.png

#5 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:11 AM

Oooh...! But I was under the impression that it was a somewhat not problem free solution?
No bugs??

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#6 Mercyy

Mercyy
  • Members
  • 183 posts
  • Projects:Edain mod campaign and other mapping
  •  Fan of all Mods, with LotR Feeling

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:22 AM

Look at point 7 "Page 7: "Unsolved" Problems"

The unsolved part is in quotes because I do not know if they can be solved or not. Here are the issues you get with the horde mount ability.

1. How to define the object and horde type - Do you define it as INFANTRY, CAVALRY, or both? For my tutorial, the object was defined as INFANTRY, but it's really up to you how you wish to tackle this. Just be consistent with whatever decision you do make!

2. Transition and animation - While there is a pause between going from foot to horse, the actual transition between the two models is instant. I have tried to play an animation during this process and it works fine for an individual unit, but it does not work for the horde. I can't find any way to solve this problem.

3. The banner carrier glitch - Let's say you have a horde upgraded with banner carriers and you have them mounted. You go ito battle and you lose your banner carrier unit. Assuming you're still mounted, your banner carrier unit respawns. The problem is that it respawns on foot and not on horse. This is the glitch. You can fix it by simply switching to foot and back, but it would be nice if I could find a solution to this problem.

It's a geat article, but it has some bugs, that's why nearly no mod uses this :(
Posted Image

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature

#7 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:34 AM

Ah yes, that's what I seem to recall slightly, and thu I never tried it myself. It's a very cool thing, but I would need it to work 100%. The BC thing would be rather annoying. Respect to Rob though for getting that far =)

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#8 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 06:25 PM

Skip using the banner cairrier, atleast the royal guard really don't need it in my opinion. Would that solve that problem?

#9 Gfire

Gfire

Nuju

• Project Team
  • 2,173 posts
  • Projects:Finding My Way
  •  The Perfectionist

Posted 06 November 2009 - 06:38 PM

Except none of the hordes would revive units...
Greetings, community.

#10 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 06:59 PM

I knew I should have posted a more clearly....

Just use the no banner carrier thing for Elites only... that way all elites cant respawn themselves without a well, then atleast the royal guard can do the mount dismount thing, and all other comparable units have no unfair advantages like being able to respawn their units.

#11 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 06 November 2009 - 07:11 PM

To be honest, I never really liked the respawn function... It's far to "magical"... but, I guess we have to have it, or the hordes would die too fast =p

I'll consider your suggestion NJM

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#12 Gfire

Gfire

Nuju

• Project Team
  • 2,173 posts
  • Projects:Finding My Way
  •  The Perfectionist

Posted 06 November 2009 - 07:18 PM

Well, you could remove banner carriers completely, and if you balanced it right, no respawning on hordes would work. In many games, units don't even heal, much less respawn. The heal power would be more useful, too, and wells wouldn't revive units. So the spell would be the only way to revive units (unless you wanted to remove that, too.)

I don't think that's really a bad thing. It would also make you put more thought into using bloodthirsty. You'd probably have to increase units build time somewhat, though, to keep up with it.
Greetings, community.

#13 Rob38

Rob38

Believer of Hope

• Hosted
  • 3,567 posts
  • Projects:Helm's Deep Last Hope
  •  One who is not afraid of new challenges

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:14 PM

Hmmm... none of the bugs are really that serious and I'm sure there are ways to fix those bugs. I just have not had the time to address them... yet. :p

signature_group1.gif

16821.png

#14 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:21 PM

Maybe Sul could experiment with that... in a couple of years or so... hehe :p

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#15 khamulrulz

khamulrulz

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:04 PM

another solution is just to have mounted royal guards, and royal guards on foot as separate units.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 isledebananas

isledebananas
  • Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 02:37 AM

Nah separating foot and horse would be dumb. Besides being able to mount makes the Rohan Royal Guard somewhat more unique. Also considering its Rohan it makes sense that they should have such an ability. I guess we will have to wait for a coding change.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users