Rohirrim Charging...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Prince of the Dark Forest

Prince of the Dark Forest
  • Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 07:33 PM

I've just been playing around with MotW units and I find it annoying that the Rohirrim (and Gondor Knights too, in fact, it might affect every cavalry unit) start to charge when I issue an attack order but stop as soon as they are in vicinity of the target and then they attack with their spears. It really loses the EPIC charges made by Rohan's horses in the movies.

I don't know how hard it would be to do this, but how about for specialized cavalry, when issuing an attack order they charge through the enemy before stopping and maybe turning around to finish off the rest? Not only is this more realistic, but also gives the units at the rear of the battalion to do some fighting.

Also, regarding the turning of cavalry, is there a way to make them turn smoothly in an arc instead of stopping and revolving around in the next direction?

I don't know a thing about modding (at least for this particular game) and have no grasp of what is possible and what isn't, so I apologise if my ideas are not viable.

I'm not sure if there is a general suggestions thread (I know there was one before the Forum rearrangement), so I'm currently posting my ideas in seperate threads. Is that ok?

Thanks,

-Prince of Mirkwood
Ignited into the world in a flash of lightning, it gleams faintly in the heart of its mother, wood. It begins as an ember, a mere wisp of heat and colour. Its chance of survival at this critical moment is minute, yet it fights on, against the unforgiving cold, against the depths of night and against its mortal enemy: rain.

#2 Sûlherokhh

Sûlherokhh

Sagacious Engineer

• Project Team
  • 3,754 posts
  • Projects:S.E.E., Sage A.I., Code Advisor
  •  'Axe'er of the Gordic Knot

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:46 PM

Crushing should be fixed since last year. I'll make a note about the turning behavior. Seperate posting is very welcome since naz split up the topics to make the posts more accessible.

I'll also check if i can make horsies more like tanks from c&c regarding the charge.

bannerreal01mittelit3.jpg
Axed Head and A.I. Coder for S.E.E. and ... stuff

".. coding is basically boring. What's fun is finding out how things work, take them apart and then put them together in ways that were not intended nor even conceived."

#3 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  • Projects:BFME2 - Nazgûl's Special Extended Edition
  •  Veteran

Posted 30 October 2009 - 03:23 PM

Seperate posting is very welcome since naz split up the topics to make the posts more accessible.

That was the intention yes =) And since we now have several smaller sections, it's more fitting to post separate topic =)

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
"Do not come between the Nazgûl and his mod!"
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I S.E.E. YOU! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#4 Arveanor

Arveanor
  • Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 07:43 PM

I've just been playing around with MotW units and I find it annoying that the Rohirrim (and Gondor Knights too, in fact, it might affect every cavalry unit) start to charge when I issue an attack order but stop as soon as they are in vicinity of the target and then they attack with their spears. It really loses the EPIC charges made by Rohan's horses in the movies.

I don't know how hard it would be to do this, but how about for specialized cavalry, when issuing an attack order they charge through the enemy before stopping and maybe turning around to finish off the rest? Not only is this more realistic, but also gives the units at the rear of the battalion to do some fighting.

Also, regarding the turning of cavalry, is there a way to make them turn smoothly in an arc instead of stopping and revolving around in the next direction?

I don't know a thing about modding (at least for this particular game) and have no grasp of what is possible and what isn't, so I apologise if my ideas are not viable.

I'm not sure if there is a general suggestions thread (I know there was one before the Forum rearrangement), so I'm currently posting my ideas in seperate threads. Is that ok?

Thanks,

-Prince of Mirkwood

I have this same problem, and it absolutely drives me crazy when i send rohirrim to the other side of an enemy unit thats moving because anytime I want to change the direction of the cavalry they stop, reform, and then move in the proper direction, once i even saw them turning to avoid there enemies rather than runing them down.

#5 Guest_Guest_shash_*_*

Guest_Guest_shash_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2010 - 02:36 PM

Thanks,

-Prince of Mirkwood

I have this same problem, and it absolutely drives me crazy when i send rohirrim to the other side of an enemy unit thats moving because anytime I want to change the direction of the cavalry they stop, reform, and then move in the proper direction, once i even saw them turning to avoid there enemies rather than runing them down.

--------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------
this is enother reason to remove squads and use certain soldiers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users