Photo

What Internet Browser should I upgrade to?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

Poll: Internet Browser Choices

What is your preferred Internet Browser?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Chrisjh0223

Chrisjh0223
  • Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 01:39 AM

Youtube will eventually phase out support for my current Internet Browser (which is Internet Explorer 6) so I'm seeking advice for which browser I should upgrade to. The choices are as follows:

• Google Chrome
  • Firefox 3.5
  • Internet Explorer 8

Dude!!?? WTF!! Sexy beach 3, Schoolmate, and artificial girl 2... WTF is wrong with you? Do you smoke crack!? ~ MadHQ on Beowulf's PC wallpaper

"Religion is a monumental chapter in the history of human egotism." - William James

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

#2 Spectre

Spectre

Rampant AI

• Hosted
  • 1,240 posts
  • Projects:Worldbuilding
  •  The Undead

Posted 31 October 2009 - 01:49 AM

My favorite would be Internet Explorer 8. I have tried Firefox 3.5 briefly, but since I've used IE as long as I've ever heard of the idea of a computer, it feels different to me. I heard Google Chrome is just absolutely horrid, but you never know.

If anything, I would go with the browser you feel the most comfortable with.

#3 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 31 October 2009 - 02:07 AM

They're all the same really, just look different.

#4 Spartan184

Spartan184

:)

• Project Team
  • 1,592 posts
  • Projects:Random Modding Projects
  •  Coder, Map.ini Coder, Mapper, and Beta Tester

Posted 31 October 2009 - 02:10 AM

Nah IE tends to lag a lot and takes forever to start up i would recommend Google Chrome, it starts up fast and it is really fast for everything doesn't take up much memory or Mozilla is good too but i wouldn't recommend IE.

safsignature.png

#5 True Lord of Chaos

True Lord of Chaos

I have returned, mostly out of boredom.

• Members
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 02:11 AM

Google Chrome is fast without any addons, but it's kinda a RAM whore, so if you have an old computer, try Firefox or *shudder* IE8. With a few tweaks, Firefox is just as fast as Chrome, and won't suddenly start failing when you try to play Mafia Wars like Chrome does. However, if you make a mistake, you could destroy Firefox, but it's probably a challenge to do so anyways. Also, you can downgrade to IE7, which has less addons, but is faster. Epically faster. So, here're your options:

Chrome:
Pros:Fast with no tweaks
Has some useful functions such as setting which search engine you want, instead of going to your internet/phone company's engine.
Addons
Cons:RAM whore
Sometimes breaks down on some heavily-scripted sites that are used a lot

Firefox:
Pros:Can be fast
Light on RAM.
Addons
Cons:Takes tweaks to make it fast, otherwise it's a low-RAM IE8.

IE8:
Pros:No need to download, comes with the computer
Some addons, but they just turn it into a RAM whore
Cons:Slow as fuck.
Incompatible with some pages made for IE7 or 6
Comes with RAM exterminating addons that are most likely unnecessary
Acts like a cheap car, starts off okay or good, then deteriorates to a piece of shit
Somehow, has trouble reading the input from my keyboard, so I have to retype letters a lot.

IE7:
Pros:Good speed, not as fast as FF or Chrome, but pretty good for slightly patient people
Doesn't have trouble loading pages
Cons:Hardly any addons
I think Microsoft stopped supporting problems for it, although I never really encounter any

As you can tell, I'm slightly biased from IE8*shudder*.

Hello everyone. I am back.

#6 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 31 October 2009 - 06:25 AM

As a veteran of slow internet, I would recommend Chrome in the speed quality area.

#7 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 31 October 2009 - 10:52 AM

For the sake of progression on the web, pick anything but IE
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#8 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  Greedy capitalist and cynical bastard.

Posted 31 October 2009 - 01:02 PM

Still use IE8... Tried Firefox for a while, it's probably better, but I'm still using IE8 since that's the one I'm used to. Don't go for Chrome, it's a crap browser really and the only people who support it are Microsoft-haters who just don't want to admit Chrome is shitty.

So, Firefox is slightly better, but if you can't really be arsed to get to know it you can stick with IE8 no problem.
It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#9 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 31 October 2009 - 01:16 PM

If you want a good browser, go with Firefox. If you want a good browser and all the features one year before everyone copies them, go with Opera.

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#10 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 31 October 2009 - 01:24 PM

For the sake of progression on the web, pick anything but IE

IE8 isn't nearly as bad as 6. Even 7 is better than 6. Believe me... >_>

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#11 Downfall

Downfall

Scenarist

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  There is one?

Posted 31 October 2009 - 01:45 PM

I never found Safari to be that bad. I kind of preferred it over Firefox. But I’m now using IE8; and honestly outside some here and there annoyances, I like IE8.

Edited by Downfall, 31 October 2009 - 01:45 PM.

"Human beings make strange fauna and flora. From a distance they appear negligible; up close they are apt to appear ugly and malicious."
Henry Miller, Tropic of Cancer

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  Greedy capitalist and cynical bastard.

Posted 31 October 2009 - 01:53 PM

Besides, noone really cares that much about addons and features. It's all like 'wow, Firefox can do xxx and yyy!'. But you don't really use it.
It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#13 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 31 October 2009 - 01:55 PM

What score does IE8 get at Acid3 nowadays?

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#14 Downfall

Downfall

Scenarist

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  There is one?

Posted 31 October 2009 - 01:55 PM

I have used the downthemall add-on and it seemed to download a bit quicker to me. outside of that none of the add-ons really seemed to do much of anything. lol

Edited by Downfall, 31 October 2009 - 01:57 PM.

"Human beings make strange fauna and flora. From a distance they appear negligible; up close they are apt to appear ugly and malicious."

Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 02:02 PM

IE8 may work well for you, but you're causing us web developers lots of pains because we have to put much effort in getting our sites to work on your browser. Therefore, for the sake of the web, use something else ;)

I can already guarantee you that some upcoming Revora sites, while (half) working on IE8, will look worse on it.
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#16 Spartan184

Spartan184

:)

• Project Team
  • 1,592 posts
  • Projects:Random Modding Projects
  •  Coder, Map.ini Coder, Mapper, and Beta Tester

Posted 31 October 2009 - 02:02 PM

Don't go for Chrome, it's a crap browser really and the only people who support it are Microsoft-haters who just don't want to admit Chrome is shitty.

First of all I am no Microsoft hater and in my honest opinion chrome is the best better than IE8 it takes awhile to start up and lags sometimes while chrome doesn't and i support Microsoft thats why i have its XBOX360 and Windows Vista and will be upgrading to Windows 7. And Chrome is better than IE8.

safsignature.png

#17 Downfall

Downfall

Scenarist

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  There is one?

Posted 31 October 2009 - 02:09 PM

IE8 may work well for you, but you're causing us web developers lots of pains because we have to put much effort in getting our sites to work on your browser. Therefore, for the sake of the web, use something else :facepalm:

I can already guarantee you that some upcoming Revora sites, while (half) working on IE8, will look worse on it.

Well that doesn't mean I don't use other web browsers if I need to. I prefer IE8. But I also switch between IE8 and Firefox. I would use Safari again, but I'm too lazy to download it. :p

Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 31 October 2009 - 03:31 PM

IE8 may work well for you, but you're causing us web developers lots of pains because we have to put much effort in getting our sites to work on your browser. Therefore, for the sake of the web, use something else :facepalm:

L 2 code. All I'm gonna say.

:p

NZ.org | BBPCG
Steam

#19 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 03:58 PM

Sure, if you want to make no sense, say no more :facepalm:

#20 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 31 October 2009 - 04:37 PM

Dude, it's short for "learn to code properly." :facepalm:

NZ.org | BBPCG
Steam

0 user(s) are reading this topic