0) Gollum: the neutral Ring Keeper mode (having the Ring) and the recruitable Ring Stealer mode (looking for the Ring), remains! =)
1) Galadriel will be removed, as ring hero for good factions! This was always my plan, but left for another beta than 4.5... That's why we currently have two Galadriels in game as a temporary setup! =p
2) We will NOT have ANY ring heroes for any good faction what so ever! Simply cause it's NOT right to have any one possible from the good factions to wield The One Ring (except Gandalf, if he turned evil, which we wouldn't do)! It's agaist the fundamental lore! (If we can't find enough time for this beta, we'll use Tom Bombadil as a new temporary solution!)
3) Frodo and Sam will be removed from Lothlórien faction, and made into "ring heroes" for all good factions (and Pippin/Merry will be moved to Gondor/Rohan)! The idea is that when you gain the Ring, you'd gain access to Frodo & Sam, with Sam most likely as a slave unit of Frodo, protecting him, and from here on, you'd need to pass several waypoints on the map, before exiting off screen and start a timer. If the evil factions have not defeated good before timer runs out, it would mean Frodo have reached Mount Doom and destroyed the Ring. This might possible mean instant defeat OR having a tremendeous bonus for all good against evil, and possibly also having evil units in fear... More details later in production.
4) For EVIL faction however, we aim for loads of possibilities that involve the Spell Book and ultimately having the faction's most powerful unit become the weilder of the Ring. This is all in sync with Sûl's interpretation of what The One Ring truly is - the incarnation of the true powers of Sauron, and as such, the Ring (which would be Sauron in "contained" form) would make use of a powerful weilder like these (all MAIAR) units would be:
- Mordor obviously gets Sauron's humanoid form as the ultimate goal of the Ring itself! It wants to be found and brought to its master's domains, so that Sauron can gain his humanoid form and have all his powers restored...
- Isengard will have a terribly upgraded Saruman with unbeleivable powers, doing Sauron's wishes...
- Moria would naturally summon the Balrog from the depths of Moria, as one of Sauron's most powerful "tools" ever imaginable...
- Rhûn/Harad would have Alatar, and if we split this faction in two: Alatar for Rhûn and Pallando for Harad (See below from Encyclopedia of Arda). First idea was a Dragon, but I'd like to keep dragons low in numbers in our version of Middle Earth... We still have Drogoth for Moria faction, which can't be scrapped really since it's such a good model and fits the fotress middle monument theme. And not to be forgotten, the somewhat "lore hostile" summon of Smaug. So we should definitely not add more than absolutely needed in terms of Dragons =p
Alatar: Alatar was one of the original three Wizards selected by the Valar for the journey from Valinor to Middle-earth (the other two being Curumo and Olórin - Saruman and Gandalf). When these three had been chosen, Yavanna selected Aiwendil (later called Radagast) to join them, and Alatar selected his friend Pallando to travel with him into the Outer Lands. Alatar and Pallando arrived in Middle-earth dressed in sea-blue. For this reason, they were together given the name Ithryn Luin, the Blue Wizards. With Saruman, they journeyed into the far east of Middle-earth, but while Saruman returned to the west, Alatar and Pallando did not. Of their fate, we know almost nothing.
Pallando: A Maia of the people of Oromë and a friend to Alatar, Pallando was selected by the Valar as the last of the five beings to be sent eastward across the Great Sea to become Wizards. Alatar and Pallando were together known as the Ithryn Luin, the Blue Wizards. They wandered far from the northwestern shores of Middle-earth, exploring the distant eastern lands. Their fate is never told, but it seems that, like Saruman, they fell into darkness, and Tolkien hints that they were responsible for the founding of strange cults in distant lands.
This would make the mod very true to the movies and the lore, and it would extend gameplay in the best possible way. I can't guarantee we can pull it off, but we will surely try our best! More details later on. We have far too many things to attend to before we get here, so it might not be until Beta 4.8.
Edited by Nazgûl, 05 November 2009 - 01:18 AM.