Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  • Projects:BFME2 - Nazgûl's Special Extended Edition
  •  Veteran

Posted 14 November 2009 - 02:38 PM

Yeah... should we?

I'm not really happy with them. They do look more like Warhammer units, than Lord of the Rings. I could ask Edain mod for some better looking units (smaller weapons and smaller shields), or I could use donations from IthronAiwendil (long ago). Those are however a little bit too far the other way (not really looking buff enough). What do you think? Are you content with the regular guardians in 4.5 atm? I'm ambivalent... :p

Edit: Games Workshop rule! ;)
Posted Image

Edited by Nazgûl, 30 October 2010 - 07:44 PM.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
"Do not come between the Nazgûl and his mod!"
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I S.E.E. YOU! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#2 khamulrulz

khamulrulz

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 02:42 PM

i'm fine with them... they look nice, especially with mithril mail
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Prince of the Dark Forest

Prince of the Dark Forest
  • Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 03:38 PM

You mean the basic infantry for the Dwarves right? The ones with the golden beards? I'm fine with them too... But I see where your coming with the warhammer resemblance... *shudders* :p
Ignited into the world in a flash of lightning, it gleams faintly in the heart of its mother, wood. It begins as an ember, a mere wisp of heat and colour. Its chance of survival at this critical moment is minute, yet it fights on, against the unforgiving cold, against the depths of night and against its mortal enemy: rain.

#4 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 14 November 2009 - 05:03 PM

Yeah, I tried to "fix" it with some skinning for Beta 4.5... but I still think they look more like Warhammer... *shudders too* :p
I might try a new model and see how it looks. I'd really like to catch the Games Workshop spirit of their dwarven hordes with random weapons and all. These guardians look a bit too much like some kind of elite unit.. Small tanks if you will =p

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#5 Prince of the Dark Forest

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 05:13 PM

I agree about them looking too uber. If you could remove the large shoulder plates, they would look less uber IMO. Perhpas you could put that onto another unit.

Also, you could mix up their weapons with random CAH weapons, but too much so that they still look like an ordered militia.

Edited by Prince of the Dark Forest, 14 November 2009 - 05:13 PM.

Ignited into the world in a flash of lightning, it gleams faintly in the heart of its mother, wood. It begins as an ember, a mere wisp of heat and colour. Its chance of survival at this critical moment is minute, yet it fights on, against the unforgiving cold, against the depths of night and against its mortal enemy: rain.

#6 Uruk King

Uruk King

Lore-abiding citizen

• Project Team
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 06:00 PM

I agree as well, and as Nazgul said, they could look less boxy, stubby and generally Warhammerish. Something resembling what Games Workshop and RA did, they were accustomed to using chainmail with a leather jerkin on top as basic armour, if they went in more heavily armoured they had something like scale mail, on top of their chainmail.
I will remember Rhovanion Alliance, RIP .

Posted Image

#7 isledebananas

isledebananas
  • Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 06:47 PM

Hmm I had to do some image reference but your right. They do look eerily similar. Still I think a few tweaks could be made. Either the shield should be bigger and the weapon smaller or the weapon bigger and the shield smaller. Normally more defensively minded units have bigger square shields. I'm for a smaller shield(round perhaps) and a bigger axe single bladed like they have now. Also agree about the shoulder plates being too obtrusive.

#8 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 14 November 2009 - 08:28 PM

Posted concept pic in post #1...

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#9 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 14 November 2009 - 08:44 PM

Yes yes yes.

Didn't read any of the posts - this is my reaction to the topic title :p

#10 isledebananas

isledebananas
  • Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 08:49 PM

The round shields are nice and there is one guy on the picture with the right weapon. He is the guy way in the back on the top most row just a bit to the left of one of the shielded guys. He seems to have two axes. I guess the bigger the axe it might need two hands but these are dwarves they wield axes like a 3rd hand.

#11 Prince of the Dark Forest

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 09:16 PM

I was actually looking at that image today... Gamesworkshop is a great library for inspiration and ideas...

I'd picture guardians just like that... Only, guardians sound too uber for a basic infantry unit. Something like Erebor Warriors or something less EPIC would suit that kind of model...

Guardians sound like elite units... if you get my meaning... :p

#12 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 14 November 2009 - 10:01 PM

Yes yes yes.

Somehow I read that with the voice of Bilbo in my head :p
Yeah, I feel this look would be way better for SEE. The Guardian model coould stay as bodyguards of Durin IV. A couple of slave units or so... since they do look like such tanks :D I'll see if I can get a Modeler to rig the Miner/Archer model to the Guardian bone, using random CaH wepons and round shields, and then I'll skin everything to look like the GW units :lol:

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#13 Ring o' Fate

Ring o' Fate

The Ghost.

• Project Team
  • 1,627 posts
  • Projects:Trying to find meaning...
  •  The guy that is just a ghost.

Posted 14 November 2009 - 11:31 PM

...I don't know why, but I for some odd reason like the normal Guardians better. :p Could be I just like those cool shield patterns the normal Guardians have. :D
A changed man is only the same man with a different outlook of life.

#14 Mordor Slayer

Mordor Slayer

SEE Marketing Manager

• Project Team
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 02:19 PM

A very good idea! For once I really like the GW concept, it should fit the Guardians perfectly. That's how I always imagined the dwarves from the Hobbit.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 khamulrulz

khamulrulz

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 09:58 PM

i'd rather keep guardians as they are, then maybe have those games workshop guys as a summon from iron hills.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 yams in a can

yams in a can

Friend of the Right Side

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 10:41 PM

I think they look like war hammer because the helmets are like mining helmets. Maybe the rectangle shield could be circular.

Posted Image
To the professor, John Ronald Reuel Tolkien.

Posted Image
Posted Image

-yams in a can

#17 drogoth232

drogoth232

What a shame

• Members
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:28 AM

I like the GW workshop models. If you want change it to that. I will support it.
Wait... what?

#18 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 16 November 2009 - 11:51 AM

I'll try to do this... Have a modeler remove the shield, the shoulder pads and the oversized axe, and we'll replace those things with random CaH parts and round shields. Then I'll fisnih it off with reskins =)

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#19 Archon

Archon

Ethereal Chaos

• Members
  • 555 posts
  • Projects:Wars of Arda mod
  •  Expert Marksman

Posted 16 November 2009 - 12:14 PM

Perfect. :p
_______Posted Image_______Posted Image

#20 Guest_lazy khamulrulz_*

Guest_lazy khamulrulz_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2009 - 12:44 PM

i'll see what you come up with, but i kind of like the armor and shield of the guardians. after all, they are meant to have really thick armor. but you usually come up with something that amazes me, so i will wait and see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users