• Projects:BFME2 - Nazgûl's Special Extended Edition
  •  Veteran

Posted 16 November 2009 - 03:39 PM

Why don't you just click that "keep me logged in" thingy? :p

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
"Do not come between the Nazgûl and his mod!"
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I S.E.E. YOU! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#22 Guest_lazy khamulrulz_*

Guest_lazy khamulrulz_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2009 - 05:32 PM

I take that back, the toys from game workshop look like shit. Go fuck yourself Nazgul... :p

#23 Prince of the Dark Forest

Prince of the Dark Forest
  • Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 05:37 PM

Um... that was unexpected... Hermoor?

About the Guardians, what about changing their names? Read my first post in this topic for reasons.

Edited by Prince of the Dark Forest, 16 November 2009 - 05:37 PM.

Ignited into the world in a flash of lightning, it gleams faintly in the heart of its mother, wood. It begins as an ember, a mere wisp of heat and colour. Its chance of survival at this critical moment is minute, yet it fights on, against the unforgiving cold, against the depths of night and against its mortal enemy: rain.

#24 Uruk King

Uruk King

Lore-abiding citizen

• Project Team
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 06:16 PM

I agree, the name is a bit peculiar for standard infantry. But what would you think would serve a better name?
I will remember Rhovanion Alliance, RIP .

Posted Image

#25 Prince of the Dark Forest

Prince of the Dark Forest
  • Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 06:35 PM

Erebor Skirmishers/Defenders/Warriors.
Ignited into the world in a flash of lightning, it gleams faintly in the heart of its mother, wood. It begins as an ember, a mere wisp of heat and colour. Its chance of survival at this critical moment is minute, yet it fights on, against the unforgiving cold, against the depths of night and against its mortal enemy: rain.

#26 khamulrulz

khamulrulz

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 09:38 PM

what the hell? i'm using firefox because my safari is down, so i couldn't be bothered to log in. that first post was mine... but what the hell? why would someone insult naz in my name. poor form, whoever that was.

Edited by khamulrulz, 16 November 2009 - 09:54 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#27 Archon

Archon

Ethereal Chaos

• Members
  • 555 posts
  • Projects:Wars of Arda mod
  •  Expert Marksman

Posted 16 November 2009 - 09:41 PM

Someone check the IP. It's probably Hermoor... :p
_______Posted Image_______Posted Image

#28 khamulrulz

khamulrulz

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 09:57 PM

the guardians are already called "warriors", so erebor defenders or warriors wouldn't be too bad. like i said, i don't mind their uber look, because they're an elite infantry unit, but i'd like to see what you come up with naz
Posted Image
Posted Image

#29 m@tt

m@tt

#######

• Project Team
  • 4,056 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 16 November 2009 - 10:03 PM

Err..

1. Hermoor changed his IP a few times, so there's no way we can check accurately.

2. That IP address corresponds with several guest posts, including this one: http://forums.revora...&...st&p=770659

3. The above post is apparently Ealendril der Dunkle. But he is from Germany, the guests IP is from the US, Hermoor is from Sweden. I don't know how possible it is to be in another country in terms of IP address (proxies etc?).

Well I'm confused :p Nazgul, if you want to delete all these posts then go ahead.
Posted Image

#30 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 16 November 2009 - 10:33 PM

Haha nah that's ok. It's too pathetic to even be bothered with. I think these idiots make them selves look even more idiotic this way :p

EDIT: I can't see what post you linked too Matt?

Edited by Nazgûl, 16 November 2009 - 10:37 PM.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#31 Archon

Archon

Ethereal Chaos

• Members
  • 555 posts
  • Projects:Wars of Arda mod
  •  Expert Marksman

Posted 17 November 2009 - 12:29 AM

Me neither. Unless the guest is impersonating Gfire... :p

EDIT: Also, you can change your IP? I had no idea...
_______Posted Image_______Posted Image

#32 Gfire

Gfire

Nuju

• Project Team
  • 2,173 posts
  • Projects:Finding My Way
  •  The Perfectionist

Posted 17 November 2009 - 01:14 AM

Machine addresses are the ones that are permanent and stay with a machine, wherever it goes. IP addresses automatically change when you move around.

I think those GW guys look pretty epic... Much more like the movies and books than EA's.
Greetings, community.

#33 m@tt

m@tt

#######

• Project Team
  • 4,056 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 17 November 2009 - 07:03 AM

Sorry, deleted the post. The guy was pretending to be Earendil and posted saying he got the PM and that Nazgul should check his inbox.
Posted Image

#34 khamulrulz

khamulrulz

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:29 AM

yeah the games workshop guys look good... i like most of their work, especially for visual reference of rhun and harad, but i still feel it is only semi-canon, if we are using it for more than visual aids. for example: you can't put trolls in isengard "just cuz they are in lotr strategy battle game", if you get what i mean.

Edited by khamulrulz, 17 November 2009 - 08:30 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#35 Arthadan

Arthadan
  • Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:30 AM

Gentlemen, do not be fooled by GW! Personally, I dislike most of their brand new interpretations of lore elements which has not been shown in the movies (Arthedain warriors, woses, that Vampire thing...). But GW's new creations are, in my humble opinion, are true abominations:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now, regarding Dwarves (back on topic, don't kill me!) if you want to stay true to the movie don't use round shields. You have some in Moria scenes, lying on the floor, and they are square with funny corners (I'll try to post an scan of them from the "Warfare in Middle-earth" movie-based book). Regarding Dwarves themselves, they don't have human proportions:

Posted Image

Hobbits have human proportions (they belong to the race of Men), while Dwarves are not only taller than Hobbits but also wider (which doesn't mean fat but strong). If you shave the beard of GW ones, you'll have a heavily armored Hobbit but not a Dwarf. Just look height difference and corpulence difference between the Hobbits and Gimli in the photo.

So in resume: armours and weapons are fine, shields and body proportions are not and helmets are so-so (too pointy, look Gimli's).

Edited by Arthadan, 17 November 2009 - 09:32 AM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#36 khamulrulz

khamulrulz

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 01:19 PM

i don't take games workshop as true canon, but i respect their interpretation of dwarves, just as the movie tried to interpret tolkien's dwarves. in no way is the movie 100 % correct either. gimli's helmet was actually a leather cap taken from the rohirrim before helm's deep in the book.

as for the round shields thing, they are based on nordic cultures which did use round shields, and many interpretations of tolkien's dwarves have round shields (like third age total war for example). what i don't understand is where "lord of the rings: weapons and warfare" gets its info. i assume they have a few quotes from the book, but i think most of it is just descriptions of what the guys in the movies had, with some details of their own creation added in.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#37 Arthadan

Arthadan
  • Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 01:58 PM

The book has detailed photos of some weapons and shields used for Moria. Since the mod is based on the movies, is only natural that these shields are used instead of a generic nordic shield, isn't it?
Posted Image

Posted Image

#38 Nertea

Nertea

...lo sa raptor!

• Hosted
  • 3,349 posts
  • Projects:Star Villains and Space heroes, The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME/Unity

Posted 17 November 2009 - 05:44 PM

GW's stuff is suprisingly accurate to the Moria WETA concepts in terms of armour and overall look (at least the early stuff). They kinda fail in the shield department; as noted, the WETA conceptual shields are very varied, for some examples see the stuff on the left and right in this shameless self promotion. And those were some of the more conventional ones iirc...

sig.png
I really don't do requests and my Arnor Soldier is not fit for BFME. Don't ask me for either.

#39 isledebananas

isledebananas
  • Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 07:52 PM

You know I'm gonna change my opinion in light of the new evidence. Dwarves should have some sort of unique shield type. Now I'm not exactly a fan of the current one they have but the round shield is more of a human thing. Most everybody in Rohan faction with a shield has a plain round one such as you see in the GW dwarf concept. However, the axe I think should be changed to be a bit smaller. Since they are called guardians they perhaps should be more about armor and taking blows than dealing out damage thus having smaller axe. Besides its tough enough wielding such a huge axe without an even bigger shield to occupy your other arm.

However the current dwarven armor is not so good. But the thing is the GW concept the armor looks a lot like the Khazad Guard armor and we want them to look quite unique or more elite than the regulars.

#40 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:42 PM

Thanks Nert for sharing that concept :p

Yeah, Rohan are indeed using round shields, but I don't see why the dwarves could not as well. I think it fit's their "smaller" body size (shorter yes, though wider). The current shield for the guardians look too Roman Empire IMO! And the axes are just plain grotesque in size, lol. Shoulder pads make them look like a cross between american football player and warhammer dwarfs.

Someone mentioned body size... I won't change the bodies, just the equipment.

- Remove axe and replace with CaH axes (and swords) at random via LUA code.
- Remove shoulder shields, and repace with either nothing or smaller CaH pads.
- Change shield into smaller, less roman looking.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users