Photo

Chinese Talk about Racism Ahead of Obama Trip

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 15 November 2009 - 05:58 AM

This article referenced was too long to post, so I'll link directly to it so you can read it and refer to points I've highlighted here.

http://www.msnbc.msn...ashington_post/

So nothing prepared Lou, whose father is a black American, for the furor that erupted in late August when she beat out thousands of other young women on "Go! Oriental Angel," a televised talent show. Angry Internet posters called her a "black chimpanzeePosted Image" and worse. One called for all blacks in China to be deported.

As the country gets ready to welcome the first African American U.S. President, whose first official visit here starts Sunday, the Chinese are confronting their attitudes toward race, including some deeply held prejudices about black people. Many appeared stunned that Americans had elected a black man, and President Obama's visit has underscored Chinese ambivalence about the increasing numbers of blacks living here.

The article goes on. It's an interesting perspective to view how the Chinese have befriended African nations over the decades, but only for certain personal gain. When Africans are viewed as a whole by the Chinese, they are viewed as inferior to other races. Something that is disturbing to say the least.

It reminds me of an article I wrote regarding Chinese troops patroling the streets of Zimbabwee. The Chinese aren't there for any other reason than most other nations who have traversed Africa. Simply because it's a continent rich is culture and rich in resources, but not very rich in ways to keep themselves from being exploited.

So now that the Africans are coming to China, what will they do? It appears that the Chinese are more than happy to aquire their resources and manual labor but not their immigrants. I'm not sure what is to be said of the world wide tradition of raping Africa but I figure I'd point this out for personal reflection.

#2 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 15 November 2009 - 07:45 AM

African and China; two of the most lawless lands on Earth can't get along. What's next for the petty chronicles of lazy racists?

#3 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 16 November 2009 - 12:39 AM

As if China needs any cheaper labour, considering their own nation and India are basically the global bottom-feeders (third-world and mid-east nations ranking somewhere nearer hagfish and zooplankton in this horrible aquatic metaphor).

Given how mono-ethnic China is as a whole, is it any real surprise to see that they're a bit more xenophobic? They enjoy killing Tibetans and Uighurs. Happens all the time. Only reason they haven't attacked Mongolia is because there's fuck all in Mongolia (same reason we and the US haven't attacked Libya). Why are we surprised and shocked when they now turn on black migrants?

Even in the world's second-most populous country there is immigration trouble. Lol. And nobody dare say 'boo' to China. Even the US, with all her technological superiority, wouldn't want to fuck with the world's largest military. Plus, where would we get our cheap hardware goods and brand-label clothing from? Essentially, China has the entire western world by the balls. They could genocide the shit out of Tibet, the Uighurs and Taiwanese (who China won't even allow to be officially recognised by nations or else they'll cease diplomatic relations with the offending nation) and the entire UN would do sweet fuck-all.

China's premier could call Obama the N-word live on national TV and he'd effectively be forced by realpolitik to smile and say 'thank you'. I don't know why the Chinese are even bothering to discuss or entertain the discussion or bother to set a precedent. It won't make a blind bit of difference. Everything will of course be lovely and wonderful and amazing in the bits they show Obama, and he won't see any racial tensions or opposition to the government in any of those places. He'll see just what the glorious capitalist totalitarian communist People's revolution has done for great nation of China. The Premier'll give him a little red book and then usher the tall dark man out of their country - his larger frame will require more rice to feed, and the Beijing quota would fall short if he were allowed to linger too long.

#4 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:15 AM

As if China needs any cheaper labour

Now we both no there is no such thing a 'labor that's too cheap', especially when it's being used around communist empires.

#5 Spectre

Spectre

Rampant AI

• Hosted
  • 1,240 posts
  • Projects:Worldbuilding
  •  The Undead

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:17 AM

At this point, the only war I see is the US versus China, if anyone else has enough nerve to attack the US besides China, it'd be a miracle. Might as well add to the tension.

#6 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:50 AM

Don't be ridiculous, the US doesn't have the manpower, the resources, the money or the balls to wage war on China, and the Chinese have no need to wage war on the west. The military age is past, Spectre. Any international conflicts will far more likely be on the economic scene.

By the way, just in case I'm wrong, you should remember that the US won't be alone if a genuine war does break out between them and China. You can be sure they'll drag the rest of the world in to stop them damn Orientals from spreading their communism across the world. It's the Domino Effect, don't you see? Just like in the 1950s.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#7 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Job:Network Leader
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 16 November 2009 - 10:33 AM

I don't believe this is a particularly chinese problem. Other asians I've met had some kind of prejudice or disfavour towards black africans or african americans as well. And those weren't some kind of hillbillies but young, well-educated and international guys...

Oh, and China is way too smart to start a war with the west. Both are so intertwined economically that neither can live without the other.

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#8 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 10:59 AM

Scientifically speaking, the oriental peoples, particularly the Han Chinese, Koreans and Japanese, are the most intelligent race, surpassing blacks and Caucasians. This is not ethnocentric bias - it's true irrespective of culture. Far-East Asians have a significant tendency to score in the top percentiles of their classmates. They also tend to go into more academically difficult disciplines (Templer, Tomeo, Arikawa & Williams, 2002). There are a lot of genetic influences in Race and IQ, and all the evidence (not all of it in WW1 military testing which was blatantly biased towards favouring whites - a study in 2001 encompassed a broad spectrum and was a lot less ethnocentric) points to Caucasians, as a rule, having higher IQs and academic ability than blacks.

You can call this scientific racism if you want, but I don't think you can argue with cold, hard facts and figures. I think the majority of this can be construed as making something out of nothing. In every culture you're going to find racism. It pervades to this day in America and the UK, two of the most multicultural societies on the planet. And it pervades DEEP. China's obviously going to have it, perhaps more than those countries because they've had less direct exposure to blacks. And let's be honest, China have some bragging rights; they think they're the greatest people on Earth because...well, they kind of are. They look down on Caucasian folks, too, it's just that we're a acceptable targets, whereas the blacks, middle-easterns and orientals aren't. If the President was white, and the Chinese had been discriminating Caucasians, this article would never have been written or noticed. Fact.

#9 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Job:Leader

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:28 PM

I don't believe this is a particularly chinese problem. Other asians I've met had some kind of prejudice or disfavour towards black africans or african americans as well. And those weren't some kind of hillbillies but young, well-educated and international guys...

Oh, and China is way too smart to start a war with the west. Both are so intertwined economically that neither can live without the other.

My closest friends are a Chinese guy and a Somalian guy. We're very unique. :p

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#10 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 16 November 2009 - 02:45 PM

We're very unique.

OBSOLESCENCE! Sorry, I felt obligated to comment on this one. A thing cannot be 'very unique'. It is either unique or it is not. There is not a scale of unique-ness; it is an analogue function. [/grammar nazism]

Congratulations on your unusual friends, though. Two of my closest friends are Scottish and one is Greek-Irish. Does that count?
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#11 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 03:00 PM

Congrats on getting that job at the Department of Redundancy Department, Vort. :p

Congratulations on your unusual friends, though. Two of my closest friends are Scottish and one is Greek-Irish. Does that count?

Only the Jock. Jocks indeed make unusual friends. I bet he never bought you a drink on your birthday, either. Funny story - I once saw a Scotsman drop a 50p piece. He bent down to pick it up, only to have it hit him on the back of the head.

Oh, a little FYI for you yanks - while in America the word 'jock' connotes a burly, stupid ruggerball player, in the UK 'Jock' connotes a Scotsman.

Actually, now that I think about it, the difference isn't really that great.

#12 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 23 November 2009 - 05:01 PM

We should paradrop books with the real facts about their government over China.
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#13 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Job:Leader

Posted 23 November 2009 - 06:11 PM

How d'you those facts are truthful?

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#14 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 07:27 PM

Someone ought to drop one of those books on your average American's doorstep. They all say China's communist. It isn't.

#15 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 23 November 2009 - 08:26 PM

Most will still think that Mao is the presiding chairman, I kid you not.

#16 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 23 November 2009 - 10:55 PM

Puppet does not lie.

EDIT: Most over here would also assume that Tony Blair is still in power. Zing..

Edited by mike_, 23 November 2009 - 10:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users