Dale/Carrock

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Emperor of the East

Emperor of the East

A simple guy who likes to think factually

• Members
  • 290 posts
  • Projects:Easterling Faction for RotWK and the Planet Thertia novels.

Posted 21 November 2009 - 04:07 AM

I do see with a sharp eye that the Dwarves have their own supporting human units. Perhaps I could come up with a way to comprehend this according to world-connection, lore, geography, science, creativity, and realism...

Heroes (added to list)
King Brand
Prince Bard
Grimbeorn
Radagast (Brown Wizard, lives with Beornings according to lore and geography)

Units (addd to list)
Dale Swordsmen
Dale Archers
Beornings (axemen)
Woodmen Spearmen

Buildings (added to list)
Dale Barracks
Carrock House

And there is my point. I know Dwarven Main faction already has Gimli, Dain, Gloin, Dwalin, and Thorin in mind. There could be other Dwarves in planning I didn't feel like looking at while posting this post. In conclusion, I have not given Esgaroth its own substantial Governor, for we could theorize that "the governor of Esgaroth State" is someone who goes unnamed in the story. Or we could give him/her (????) a name (Iwar if male; Asta if female).

"You cannot know anything; only suspect. You must suspect to be wrong. To have overlooked, something, anticipate."

~Malik Al-Sayf, from the original Assassin's Creed from 2007

Yes, I do live by this advice to the best of my ability.

#2 khamulrulz

khamulrulz

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 08:11 AM

the dwarves already have enough heroes as is planned (+ thorin, durin, dwalin, grimbeorn), and while they were on good relations with the men of the vales of anduin (beornings, woodsmen), it was nothing like their friendliness to the bardings of dale. there are already two dale units in the faction, and king brand. dale allies could be a tier 2 summon in addition to being in the main faction, with both archers and swordsmen, and in the spellbook thread i proposed a tier 3 summon beornings power.

i think that is enough representation of northmen in the dwarven faction. after all, grimbeorn is being made a hero, and the erebor faction has enough units.

Edited by khamulrulz, 21 November 2009 - 08:20 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Prince of the Dark Forest

Prince of the Dark Forest
  • Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 08:26 AM

We don't need too many new heroes and units for an already amply filled faction. However, if Grimbeorn is added, I'd like to see Beorning Axemen. Perhaps Radagast could be a spellbook summon for Dwarves. He would arrive with 3-4 eagles as in the Hobbit, the dwarves made friends with the Eagles of the Misty Mountains.
Ignited into the world in a flash of lightning, it gleams faintly in the heart of its mother, wood. It begins as an ember, a mere wisp of heat and colour. Its chance of survival at this critical moment is minute, yet it fights on, against the unforgiving cold, against the depths of night and against its mortal enemy: rain.

#4 khamulrulz

khamulrulz

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 09:26 AM

the thing is, although radagast was a friend of the beornings, he had no relation to the dwarves, who preferred stones and metals to birds and beasts. i think he should be a tier 3 summon for the elves, with a mount eagle ability.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Uruk King

Uruk King

Lore-abiding citizen

• Project Team
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 12:09 PM

While the Northmen of Dale were certainly related to the Dwarves, the Beornings and Woodmen were located in land lands in and around Mirkwood, and when Sauron attacked Mirkwood, they rallied to Thranduil's side to repel the forces of Dol GUldur. So they should, in my opinion, be with the elves, including Radagast and Grimbeorn, for the Dwarves do have a lot of heroes now.

Beornings and Woodmen perhaps could be included with a Grimbeorn summon, something like "Host of the Anduin", or avaliable to both Elves and Dwarves as Inn factions, with Radagast as available in a similar manner.
I will remember Rhovanion Alliance, RIP .

Posted Image

#6 Prince of the Dark Forest

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 01:34 PM

While the Northmen of Dale were certainly related to the Dwarves, the Beornings and Woodmen were located in land lands in and around Mirkwood, and when Sauron attacked Mirkwood, they rallied to Thranduil's side to repel the forces of Dol GUldur. So they should, in my opinion, be with the elves, including Radagast and Grimbeorn, for the Dwarves do have a lot of heroes now.

And the elves don't? :dry:

Beornings and Woodmen perhaps could be included with a Grimbeorn summon, something like "Host of the Anduin", or avaliable to both Elves and Dwarves as Inn factions, with Radagast as available in a similar manner.

Yeah, Beornings, Andiun Woodsmen and perhaps even Grimbeorn should be Inn units.
Ignited into the world in a flash of lightning, it gleams faintly in the heart of its mother, wood. It begins as an ember, a mere wisp of heat and colour. Its chance of survival at this critical moment is minute, yet it fights on, against the unforgiving cold, against the depths of night and against its mortal enemy: rain.

#7 Emperor of the East

Emperor of the East

A simple guy who likes to think factually

• Members
  • 290 posts
  • Projects:Easterling Faction for RotWK and the Planet Thertia novels.

Posted 21 November 2009 - 03:44 PM

These are all very interesting points...

"You cannot know anything; only suspect. You must suspect to be wrong. To have overlooked, something, anticipate."

~Malik Al-Sayf, from the original Assassin's Creed from 2007

Yes, I do live by this advice to the best of my ability.

#8 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 03:50 PM

If you made it into a summon power for dwarves, it could be called: rhovanion alliance: summons grimbeorn woodsmen and mirkwood elves.

In honor of rhovanion alliance one of the greatest mods to die in middle earth.

#9 Prince of the Dark Forest

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 04:26 PM

One radical appraoch would be to split thee factions by region. With West Rhovanion being Rivendell, Lorien and Fangorn, East Rhovanion being Mirkwood, Erebor and Anduin/Dale/Esgaroth and the Wild being all things wild.

#10 isledebananas

isledebananas
  • Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 09:29 PM

Its best to keep dwarves and elves separate. However, having some sort of summons is a good idea. Uruk King has a point on the lore side and if its not in the movies the next big source for this mod is lore so....

The next most important would be from a balance perspective. Since dwarves got some new units and tweaks to old ones we don't know how they are gonna play yet. But the 2 main dwarf weaknesses have been speed(obviously) and dealing out damage in larger battles. They tend to get hunkered down since their most powerful warriors are melee and axe throwers have shorter range compared to the loads of archers the enemy usually has. Its not so tough in vs evil game since their archer units usually have shorter range too, but against men or elves it would suck.

If some units were to be added it would have to be something that can counter this weakness. It shouldn't be cavalry however since I like the fact that dwarves don't have anything save battle wagons.

It would be cool to have Radagast and Beorn though. However, lore wise it wouldn't fit for dwarves and elves have way too many strong heroes already.

#11 Gfire

Gfire

Nuju

• Project Team
  • 2,173 posts
  • Projects:Finding My Way
  •  The Perfectionist

Posted 21 November 2009 - 09:31 PM

Rivendell is definitely not part of Rhovanion. I'd say make East Rhovanion "Rhovanion" and West Rhovanian "Elves" (or lothlorien itc)
Greetings, community.

#12 Prince of the Dark Forest

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 09:36 PM

I like order and some continuity. Naming one faction 'Rhovanion' after a region and another 'Elves' after a race wouldn't be right. Even naming Elves 'Lothlorien' wouldn't really fit.

Either name all factions by region, or by primary city (Edoras, Minas Tirith, Barad-dur, Lothlorien, Isengard, Erebor and Moria) or how it is now.

But to be honest, the naming of factions is not very important when gameplay etc. is considered so...

#13 Gfire

Gfire

Nuju

• Project Team
  • 2,173 posts
  • Projects:Finding My Way
  •  The Perfectionist

Posted 22 November 2009 - 02:41 AM

I believe it is now named after primary region. Gondor/Lothlorien/Mordor/Isengard/Moria/Erebor, I think. And MotE is Rhun.
Greetings, community.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users