• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#21 MT

MT

Maverick.

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Projects:Dominance, a TC for RA2:YR.
  •  I will not be bound, not by space or by time.

Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:29 AM

Influence_the_way_members_of_a_forum_post_coefficient = [ Admin# *Admin_Post_Rate# ] * 1.2 + [ Mod# *Mod_Post_Rate# ]

Meh. Of course the way admins act affects the members to some degree, at least. Not just admins, anyone, whether it be moderators, modders, or newbies has some effect, no matter how small.

Edited by MT, 23 November 2009 - 04:29 AM.

Posted Image
See my Mod: Dominance, a CNC Ra2:YR Total Conversion.

#22 Downfall

Downfall

Scenarist

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  There is one?

Posted 23 November 2009 - 05:57 AM

I like to think I'm a fairly chilled out kind of admin. Much as with everything else in my life, I refuse to take it seriously. Granted, this may not be the best way to deal with essay deadlines and girlfriends, but it seems to work here, and it does leave me constantly worry-free.

Anyway, yeah, the only time I use my editing powers are for spelling and grammar, and even then only for the really godawful examples.

How can one compare admin life to personal life? Aren't they not basically too different things? Or am I crazy? :p

Also can you edit my misused grammar too? j/k

Edited by Downfall, 23 November 2009 - 06:00 AM.

"Human beings make strange fauna and flora. From a distance they appear negligible; up close they are apt to appear ugly and malicious."
Henry Miller, Tropic of Cancer

Posted Image

Posted Image

#23 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 23 November 2009 - 10:56 AM

That's because we're serious business now.

How's that working out for you? At best it's working no better than the more relaxed and chilled out way.

With that in mind, I'd suggest you basically clean the entire forum back to zero posts and start again. You can't change the ethos that's built up around here by warning a few people for hating on one another.

#24 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 23 November 2009 - 11:05 AM

How can one compare admin life to personal life? Aren't they not basically too different things?

I guess everybody has a different opinion on this, but I'd say no. Revora is as much a part of my life as my school, my work, my friends and my family. The only secondary lives you could say I have are when I play games. But then I'm the character, whereas I'm not a character here.
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#25 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 23 November 2009 - 12:11 PM

How can one compare admin life to personal life? Aren't they not basically too different things?

It's just a matter of what kind of person I am, and the answer is: one laid-back dude. That applies to every aspect of my life, Revora included.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#26 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 23 November 2009 - 12:51 PM

How's that working out for you? At best it's working no better than the more relaxed and chilled out way.

With that in mind, I'd suggest you basically clean the entire forum back to zero posts and start again. You can't change the ethos that's built up around here by warning a few people for hating on one another.

You can't change the ethos, but you can change the Athos.

...ha! :p
BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#27 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:12 PM

You're disappointing me, Ash. I would've expected you most of all to get the irony of my post.
I know that I didn't use any smileys in my statement but I thought it would be obvious enough. Especially seeing as nearly all of my one-line comments that seem wrong are in fact wrong.

srs bznz, eh?

You bet :p

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#28 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:37 PM

Oh, sorry - let me just replace the batteries in my Acme Irony Detector Device™. And given some of the things enacted recently (that weird organisation thing you suggested), it would suggest you were actually being serious.

And the place really has got that serious business vibe about it now. Or at least a lot lot more than it had before. I think it's the fact it's not gone totally serious business that causes the jarring problem for me. Either go the whole hog and 100% serious business, or don't bother. In-between just seems like it's coming off all half-cocked.

#29 Archon

Archon

Ethereal Chaos

• Members
  • 555 posts
  • Projects:Wars of Arda mod
  •  Expert Marksman

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:39 PM

Posted Image
_______Posted Image_______Posted Image

#30 Grimson

Grimson
  • Members
  • 41 posts
  • Projects:Twisted Insurrection
  •  Draconeer

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:59 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#31 olli

olli

Resident Pilot

• Project Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • Projects:Remix Escalation Top Quality Imaginer and Pro Tester. CnC Guild Gossip Whore
  •  Misanthropic Hulking Adonis

Posted 23 November 2009 - 02:38 PM

Either go the whole hog and 100% serious business

For that, they will need to get rid of 98% of the member base. No one here will be able to take it seriously, if the whole place went serious business

98% of that member base would end up banned probably...
Posted Image
CnC Guild - As ancient as time itself.
Do you like anything CnC releated? Then the CnC guild likes you! Go make friends with it.

Latest Remix Escalation on ModDB
Remix Escalation on Revora - Track the latest news and changes.

#32 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 02:40 PM

Well that way there'd be nobody to challenge the serious business-ness. It'd actually distil it. Or something.

#33 olli

olli

Resident Pilot

• Project Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • Projects:Remix Escalation Top Quality Imaginer and Pro Tester. CnC Guild Gossip Whore

Posted 23 November 2009 - 02:49 PM

Exactly. I'm on to something here...

My God it's sickening.

DLoTS and 2play (and the other one) are planning some vile internet genocide of our e-selves. It will be e-slaughter. Ban missiles will be flying and maiming our profiles and account-deleting gas will be burning off our avatars in an attempt to cleanse the forum and start an Arian race of members; well mannered obedient thoughtless little drones.

Someone has to stop them. Before it's too late.
Posted Image
Do you like anything CnC releated? Then the CnC guild likes you! Go make friends with it.

#34 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 23 November 2009 - 02:53 PM

e-nuclear war, you say. Just grab some e-toms and an e-ano and be happy.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#35 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:49 PM

We're not instantly turning all serious. The relaxed, loose atmosphere is one of Revora's strengths (as opposed to some other forums where warns, bans and locks fly around en masse).
The difference these days is that we're taking Revora seriously, with measures such as the volunatary association and bringing more structure in the staff. It's what Revora needs to get moving again.
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#36 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 23 November 2009 - 06:37 PM

That and sucking money from the working man. :p

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#37 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  Greedy capitalist and cynical bastard.

Posted 23 November 2009 - 06:48 PM

Well, no matter what happens, I (and I presume the gross of the people here as well) won't be able to take it 100% seriously. I mean, it's the fucking internet. You can act like a total jerk with basically no real consequences. Not that I will of course (although it is, admitted, quite fun).
It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#38 olli

olli

Resident Pilot

• Project Team
  • 3,157 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:37 AM

Well, no matter what happens, I (and I presume the gross of the people here as well) won't be able to take it 100% seriously. I mean, it's the fucking internet. You can act like a total jerk with basically no real consequences. Not that I will of course (although it is, admitted, quite fun).

That's because we're too set in our origional ways and it wont ever leave us. Observe.

Ash flaming Hostile, people bashing Rom-anal, (and Godsun & TLC). Matias flaming Pasidon, everyone flaming Pasidon...people calling Fen a Furfag etc.

It's how it works. With out it, Revora would collapse. We keep it going, and with out that old member base it would be dead.
Posted Image

#39 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 24 November 2009 - 03:29 AM

Ash is a putz...
:p

#40 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane