#21 Gfire

Gfire

Nuju

• Project Team
  • 2,173 posts
  • Projects:Finding My Way
  •  The Perfectionist

Posted 03 December 2009 - 03:41 AM

I heard the opposite. Like I said, I don't know exactly. What book was it?
Greetings, community.

#22 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:31 AM

It doesn't make a good movie.

So you say, but millions tend to disagree.
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#23 Gfire

Gfire

Nuju

• Project Team
  • 2,173 posts
  •  The Perfectionist

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:45 PM

If they had followed the books it would have been an aweful movie. The point is, they had to strange it drastically to make it into a film. The actual book wouldn't make a good movie, if they used the actual book.
Greetings, community.

#24 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  Greedy capitalist and cynical bastard.

Posted 03 December 2009 - 06:32 PM

That's why they adapted it into a movie...
It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#25 NewErr

NewErr

Elf-friend

• Project Team
  • 2,177 posts
  • Projects:Wars of The Firstborn
  •  World Wide Artist

Posted 03 December 2009 - 07:11 PM

It's pretty simple Gfire , you can't make movies according all to the books.A movie is afterall A MOVIE .

We'll see what is this all about . The good part is that it's an RPG . I always wanted to play a RPG LOTR game. Enough with strategy and smash games. :ohmy:

Edited by Valaquenta10, 03 December 2009 - 07:12 PM.

#26 Gfire

Gfire

Nuju

• Project Team
  • 2,173 posts
  •  The Perfectionist

Posted 03 December 2009 - 07:24 PM

Exactly my point.
Greetings, community.

#27 Florisz

Florisz

The Young Reindeer

• Project Team
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 07:45 PM

But again around the Ring? Yeah, Lord of the RINGS, but think they could do a Moria game/part of a game?? Ever? :ohmy:
Posted Image

#28 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Job:Leader

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:10 PM

Ahem. Tolkien didn't dislike the idea of a movie being made... in fact, quite the opposite. He thought that LotR would be good material for movie-makers. *I read that in a book that my friend gave to me...*

I've read in a renowned biography that he sold the movie rights pretty cheap and quick because he didn't think it could ever be made into a movie.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#29 Florisz

Florisz

The Young Reindeer

• Project Team
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:12 PM

He was wrong. And I think he'd be pretty pissed off by that now :p
Posted Image

#30 NewErr

NewErr

Elf-friend

• Project Team
  • 2,177 posts
  •  World Wide Artist

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:45 PM

He's pretty dead now and also think his kids make some good loads of money now.

#31 Gfire

Gfire

Nuju

• Project Team
  • 2,173 posts
  •  The Perfectionist

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:47 PM

Obviously they changed the story extremely to make the movies. I doubt he'd approve of that.

Edited by Gfire, 03 December 2009 - 09:47 PM.

Greetings, community.

#32 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:49 PM

I'm certain he wouldn't have approved.

I think the movies are good movies, it's hard to deny, but I am still disappointed by them. They left out my two favourite characters (Glorfindel and Halbarad) and fundamentally changed the third (Faramir). In the book, Faramir was never tempted by the Ring, but in the movie he is. That's pretty terrible if you ask me.

#33 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  Greedy capitalist and cynical bastard.

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:52 PM

It made for some good character developments for Faramir, though.
It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#34 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:54 PM

LotR has been made into great movies, I fail to see otherwise.
Great in movies aren't based on accuracy compared to the book...

Movies are suppose to be entertaning, not 100% accurate... Having a 10 hour long Fellowship of the Ring does not sell, and what do movie makers depend on?
Movies that sell. So why is the FotR 3 hours? Because that's barely acceptable by the majority (or that's what I think anyways)... I would not personally mind if they did 6 movies, one for each sub-book ;)

Point is, the main happenings and plot is nicely portraited in the movies...
[movie rant]
The thing I used to think "fuck the movies" about, was Rohan's portrayal in Two Towers, with Eomer running off, basically :p
After 2 and a half year of my school, I've grown on the movies decision, and what has to be done to make good movies.. Having Eomer run away with 2000 riders is needed to create a conflict, and a sign of desperation.. The fact that Helm's Deep is vunerable and trapped, isn't really portraited well enough in the books, while the movies make that point clear, and that they NEED Eomer and his riders.. The hour of desperation... If suddenly there was a guy who've we've never seen before or heard about, Erkenbrand, comes with 1000 foot troops, Rohan wouldn't have been portraited as the cavalry nation, and we'd only see a great man of Rohan, that doesn't do more after that really.. He'd be a random person, and that's a no-no in movies, especially those who plays a large role in an event, or something like that :p
[/movie rant]

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#35 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:58 PM

It made for some good character developments for Faramir, though.

Yeah it did, but I thought he was awesome because he was wise enough to see beyond the Ring's temptation right away.

#36 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 04 December 2009 - 01:29 AM

I am thankful for the movies. Without them, none of us T3A'ers would be here. Without T3A, Revora might not even exists any more. Who knows? Butterfly effect etc.
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#37 Gfire

Gfire

Nuju

• Project Team
  • 2,173 posts
  •  The Perfectionist

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:44 AM

You could as far as to say they ruined Gondor entirely. Boromir, Faramir and Denethor were are pretty stupid in the movie, and they also cut out Beregond, who I thought really helped make Gondor "personal" (as well as the people at the houses of healing, that would have helped, too.)

I totally agree, Glorfindel and Halbarad were pretty awesome. Beregond, too. They adding a lot of stuff I would have tossed out for the great things that were in the book. I mean, beyond the whole "doesn't make a good movie" thing, there were some decisions they made I wouldn't have.

Butterfly effect, indeed. If it wasn't for T3A, I never would have looked more closely at LotR (for modding reference, actually,) and I that didn't happen I wouldn't see as many flaws in the films. Full circle.
Greetings, community.

#38 Nertea

Nertea

...lo sa raptor!

• Hosted
  • 3,349 posts
  • Projects:Star Villains and Space heroes, The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME/Unity

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:40 AM

I think you've just got to take the books and the films seperately to appreciate either to an appreciable extent. Any time you cross between two very different mediums (media?) there will be significant issues in translation. Sometime after TTT came out I had a discussion about the movie's flaws that made me reevaluate the critical way in which I was looking at them at the time. I leave the complaints about accuracy and things to the real Tolkien nerds now :p. It's far more interesting to look at the film in the context of cinema than a set of complaints about would-have-beens.

My opinionated 2 cents.

sig.png
I really don't do requests and my Arnor Soldier is not fit for BFME. Don't ask me for either.

#39 NewErr

NewErr

Elf-friend

• Project Team
  • 2,177 posts
  •  World Wide Artist

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:02 PM

Well with some of the cuts I'm not so happy about them (like Old Forest and Barrow-Downs or important characters like Tom Bombadil , Glorfindel and others).Also agree with Faramir's moral changes .( It shocked me when I read the books after I saw the movies how different Faramir acted )

But with all this , I can say the Movies still rocks and I'm not disappointed by them.

Peace :p

Edited by Valaquenta10, 04 December 2009 - 04:03 PM.

#40 Gfire

Gfire

Nuju

• Project Team
  • 2,173 posts
  •  The Perfectionist

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:23 PM

Oh yeah, really best if you take them separately. If we want bombadil and glorfy, we'll have to film it ourselves (or stick to putting them in BFME.)

Hmm.. Maybe I should make a mod focusing on all those cut characters. That would be kinda fun. I mean, Glorfindel, Halbarad and Beregond (beragond?) were like my favorite characters. I wonder if they'd be my favorites if they were in the movie. Maybe I just like them cause they were cut.
Greetings, community.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users