Sharpshooter of Mirkwood

• Members
  • 1,280 posts
  •  Hooded one
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:PR and Recruiter

Posted 02 December 2009 - 02:54 AM

Revora and Firefox

This is my testimonial to Firefox and Revora.

As some of you users of Internet Explorer 8 have noticed, you and I have been experiencing really weird things on this new site page: cursors jumping to the letter behind, scrolling being slowed down, and strange looking text.

After coming to this site two separate days (after the new page was put up), I was still experiencing this strange problems, which made me sick to look at page. When I found out that it was the browser that was causing all these problems, I asked 2playgames what browser I could switch to. He gave me a link to the different browser options and told me that he uses Firefox. I decided to give it a try---anything was better than what I had going on then.

I downloaded it, which was a very easy setup, and was able to transfer all my old bookmarks to Firefox so I didn't have to redo anything. When I came back to Revora, it was a much better experience!

Everything works well on the site and looks good, plus I don't have to be sick anymore.

A few nice things about Firefox are as follows:

It works pretty much the same as IE8.

It's easy to download.

When you want to bookmark a page and add it to your bar above, all you have to do it go to View, then click Sidebar and Bookmarks. Then all you have to do is type in the name of the site and it comes right up so that you can drag it and drop it to your bar. It's nice little feature.

Those are just a few things that I have found out about it so far and I highly recommend that those who are using IE8 change over to Firefox. It's worth it to be able to see Revora correctly.
Posted Image

#42 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 02 December 2009 - 03:12 AM

A testimonial? Roll film... we need to get this for our commercial! :p
BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#43 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts
  •  Friendly neighborhood standards Nazi

Posted 02 December 2009 - 12:47 PM

My testimonial for FireFox:

Overrated piece of shit spawned from the feature-creep and lack of standards compliance that plagued Mozilla.
Off the bat they quickly achieved better support than IE6 (but then again my turds probably do too), and since then have been overly-obsessed with the creeping of new features.
They frequently advertise themselves as being the most secure, standards-aware, lightweight and speedy browser, despite the fact absolutely none of those statements are true, with FF having dozens of un-patched vulnerabilities and a history of letting people add their own in (my, didn't FF3.5, 3.5.1 & 3.5.2 run out the door fast?).
The browser is about as standards-aware as my cat - it may know they're there but its not the best implementor, usually working on unreleased or propriety features although support for decade-old standards are still not yet complete, and as for speed, whilst fast, it is slower than other browsers, and has more memory leaks leading to a larger footprint and gradual slowdown over extended use.
The problem with Firefox has always been a complete disregard for quality control, and though as volunteers developers should be applauded, the fact that it is written by volunteers means a lot of bugs go unfixed and a lot of features go incomplete because they are less fun than the latest and greatest doesn't-work-in-any-other-browser-so-nobody-can-use-it-anyway gimmicks.
But the greatest problem with FF is its droves of mindless fanbois, people who in their worship of the poorly compiled software package commend it so greatly and fervidly that it is impossible to convince them it holds any flaw, and by doing so, remove all drive and motivation for the developers to make it the browser it could and should have been.

As for you, Mirkwood... Most programs install easily, and all browsers import. In an ideal world they'd all use IE's favorites schema and not have to, but as is its hard to loose much in a switch. And to add a bookmark, just click the star next to the address, you're making an easy task difficult for yourself >.<

Also, I'd flesh out the browser page more, or there seems little point having one. Just a brief description and perhaps icon so people are faced with more than just the exciting prospect of watching the border-bottom solidify just before clicking a link :p

World Domination Status: 2.7%

#44 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 02 December 2009 - 12:50 PM

...cut! CUT!

Well, I've never used Firefox, but those conflicting testimonials sure have me confused about it... :p
BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#45 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:17 PM

I like Firefox, but then I got it back when IE didn't have tabbed browsing and I've stuck faithfully with it ever since. Maybe I should try Opera or something...
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#46 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:19 PM

more than just the exciting prospect of watching the border-bottom solidify just before clicking a link

:p are you insane? that's the best part of this whole redesign

As for Opera
Posted Image
http://www.cssquirre...as-rough-edges/
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#47 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 10:22 PM

Update: http://revora.net/browsers
Too bad only naughty IE users will ever get to see that :ohmy:
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#48 MirkwoodArcher

MirkwoodArcher

Sharpshooter of Mirkwood

• Members
  • 1,280 posts
  •  Hooded one

Posted 03 December 2009 - 01:10 AM

My testimonial for FireFox:

Overrated piece of shit spawned from the feature-creep and lack of standards compliance that plagued Mozilla.
Off the bat they quickly achieved better support than IE6 (but then again my turds probably do too), and since then have been overly-obsessed with the creeping of new features.
They frequently advertise themselves as being the most secure, standards-aware, lightweight and speedy browser, despite the fact absolutely none of those statements are true, with FF having dozens of un-patched vulnerabilities and a history of letting people add their own in (my, didn't FF3.5, 3.5.1 & 3.5.2 run out the door fast?).
The browser is about as standards-aware as my cat - it may know they're there but its not the best implementor, usually working on unreleased or propriety features although support for decade-old standards are still not yet complete, and as for speed, whilst fast, it is slower than other browsers, and has more memory leaks leading to a larger footprint and gradual slowdown over extended use.
The problem with Firefox has always been a complete disregard for quality control, and though as volunteers developers should be applauded, the fact that it is written by volunteers means a lot of bugs go unfixed and a lot of features go incomplete because they are less fun than the latest and greatest doesn't-work-in-any-other-browser-so-nobody-can-use-it-anyway gimmicks.
But the greatest problem with FF is its droves of mindless fanbois, people who in their worship of the poorly compiled software package commend it so greatly and fervidly that it is impossible to convince them it holds any flaw, and by doing so, remove all drive and motivation for the developers to make it the browser it could and should have been.

As for you, Mirkwood... Most programs install easily, and all browsers import. In an ideal world they'd all use IE's favorites schema and not have to, but as is its hard to loose much in a switch. And to add a bookmark, just click the star next to the address, you're making an easy task difficult for yourself >.<

Also, I'd flesh out the browser page more, or there seems little point having one. Just a brief description and perhaps icon so people are faced with more than just the exciting prospect of watching the border-bottom solidify just before clicking a link :rolleyes:

I know how to add favorites on IE. I just thought that the way Firefox does it is cool.

All I care about is that Firefox enables me to enjoy the Revora page. :ohmy:
Posted Image

#49 Longleaf

Longleaf
  • Project Team
  • 233 posts
  •  I have blue text ?

Posted 03 December 2009 - 01:20 AM

Love the new Forum skin :ohmy:.

#50 MirkwoodArcher

MirkwoodArcher

Sharpshooter of Mirkwood

• Members
  • 1,280 posts
  •  Hooded one

Posted 03 December 2009 - 02:02 AM

I just took a look at the front page. I like it, especially the window that has the different division logos that you can look through. Nice work everyone!
Posted Image

#51 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 03 December 2009 - 06:05 AM

Update: http://revora.net/browsers
Too bad only naughty IE users will ever get to see that :ohmy:

Since when is Revora a platform for deciding what browser users should use. When I make a site I check for complete browser compliance. It's because one's personal preference is below what the demands of the user are.

Copyright © 2009 Revora Association. Design by ShadySaiyan and Whatface.
This site looks bad and works less in Internet Explorer. Get a real browser instead.

Who are you to tell people to use one browser over another? That's takes balls larger than you carry in your pants. To actually have a browser specific message on OUR website promoting one browser over another? I strongly reject this idea and it is one of the most idealistic and self promoting things I've ever seen on a public, high traffic, website. If you can't code the work around for the feature, than don't include the feature or apologize for your coding incompetence. Don't blame an entire browser for your short comings coding wise.

I FIRMLY and strongly suggest you remove such nonsense from the IE version. This is the most stupid thing I've seen EVER performed at Revora in my time here.

I have no particular affection for any browsers, I love the commmunity. It is not Revora's job to define how the user views the site. I feel pretty strong on this. I believe NO browser specific message should include some recommendation of one browser over another despite the web coders personal preference or lack of browser compliant coding ability.

This is total nonsense.

#52 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI Scripting Project
  • Division:DoW

Posted 03 December 2009 - 06:32 AM

I have a complaint..

Ever since the new site went over long threads cause a serious graphical error.

How to replicate:

1) Go to your Control Panel/Board Settings
2) Set "Number of posts to show for each topic page" to 50
3) Set "Number of topics to show for each forum page" to 40
4) Save settings
5) View THIS THREAD and look what happens when you get to the bottom! Bizarre..

I am using FF 3.5.5. It doesn't happen when using IE8 or Chrome 2.0.172.28.

If I dynamically change the font size in FF by using CTRL+Mouse Scroll Wheel it will eventually show the full thread fine but then the fonts are real small and screwed up.
Advanced Skirmish AI Team Lead for the coolest Warhammer40k PC RTS out there:

Dawn of War Advanced AI Headquarters

Latest DoW Advanced AI Download!

#53 Tom

Tom

title available

• Undead
  • 8,475 posts
  • Projects:Life
  •  Co-Founder of Revora

Posted 03 December 2009 - 06:43 AM

I understand why 2play has done it considering IEs insufficiency but surely we could made a browser specific site that finds what browser a user has then loads a page compatible with it. Is that not possible?

Also, good job on the site 2play! :ohmy:

#54 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:37 AM

Thudo, can you post a screenshot? I don't see anything wrong.

It's fine to tell people to use another browser. It's better then letting them keep using IE without ever knowing why websites are starting to work less all around them, while other people (with real browsers) get all the new features.
It's not like we're blocking IE. If people want to shove their pizza in the microwave, that's their choice, but surely you'd want me to tell them that it tastes better when made in the oven?

but surely we could made a browser specific site that finds what browser a user has then loads a page compatible with it. Is that not possible?

It would take a lot of work, make the site's code really ugly and unmaintainable, and doesn't really make that much of a difference since some stuff will just never work in IE (or if IE supports it in the future, it should not require seperate code). It's, quite frankly, not worth the effort. Like I said, the site works fine in IE8, it just doesn't reach it's full potential.

#55 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts
  •  Friendly neighborhood standards Nazi

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:09 AM

I like what you've done to the browsers page, but I think it needs more changes (sorry!) :ohmy:
  • Opera logo's wrong, they changed it for 10.
  • Get rid of version numbers unless you plan on updating the page every release
  • Include IE. Its works in IE8, and should be recommended as an update. Each to their own, just lead them the lesser of evils
Otherwise, nice improvement

World Domination Status: 2.7%

#56 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 02:54 PM

Thudo, can you post a screenshot? I don't see anything wrong.

I tried this also at another location, seperate computer, FF 3.5.5 and this is the same result:

Posted Image

#57 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:58 PM

I like what you've done to the browsers page, but I think it needs more changes (sorry!) :ohmy:

• Opera logo's wrong, they changed it for 10.
  • Get rid of version numbers unless you plan on updating the page every release
  • Include IE. Its works in IE8, and should be recommended as an update. Each to their own, just lead them the lesser of evils
Otherwise, nice improvement

I have to agree with every point here. Also try to figure out why the cursor is shifted one space to the left in most browsers on the skin, it's a strange error but does effect the user enough for them to not want to use the default skin. The skin by the way, works well with the look of the site. I have to not look at the screen when I type or I'll have 2-3 spaces between words.

If you try to edit your post in the default skinin IE the edit option window shows much farther down on the page thanb is reasonable. The skin causes a serious lag as well. I'm only using it to try to test for bugs.

#58 m@tt

m@tt

#######

• Project Team
  • 4,056 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 03 December 2009 - 08:38 PM

The Firefox logo is old as well, they changed it for 3.5 :ohmy:

Btw Jeeves, if Firefox is as standards compliant as your cat, what is IE? Firefox may not quite be at the level of Opera and Webkit, but it's still pretty good (92% of the Acid3 test, it passes Acid2, and is implementing several CSS3 features).
Posted Image

#59 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 03:26 AM

Yeah something is definitely up.. I noticed that when I use Chrome and scroll down to the message that cuts off in FF 3.5.5 it picks this up:

Posted Image

Yeah see that black vertical line on the right showing at the point where the text corrupts for FF 3.5.5?

For comparison here is the FF 3.5.5:

Posted Image

Its in the same general area..

#60 MirkwoodArcher

MirkwoodArcher

Sharpshooter of Mirkwood

• Members
  • 1,280 posts
  •  Hooded one

Posted 04 December 2009 - 03:39 AM

It's not the end of the world to get a different browser. In fact, you can even just use Firefox for Revora and still keep IE8 as your default browser. Personally, I think Firefox is pretty good.

I say that either you just make that small change and get Fireforx (if only to use on this site) or you'll just have to deal with the bugs that IE8 gives.

Edited by MirkwoodArcher, 04 December 2009 - 03:40 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users