• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 khamulrulz

khamulrulz

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:02 AM

I don't like the name "silverthorn arrows" because I have no idea what silverthorn is, and it is never mentioned once in either the books or the movies. therefore, i proposed that it be renamed to something like "arrows of orome" or something like that, which fits more to the elves and to the lord of the rings as a whole, since orome was the huntsman of the valar. i don't mind if the audio "silverthorn arrows are ready" stays, and i don't mind the fx, since i love pwning enemies with those arrows, but i just don't like the name.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Arthadan

Arthadan
  • Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:45 AM

I disagree. Elves have such a deep respect for the Valar that they do not use their names lightly, so I doubt they use "Oromë" to name some arrow tips. "Silverthorn" could sound better translated into Sindarin, but is not that bad as it is.

Edited by Arthadan, 07 December 2009 - 11:45 AM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 Námo

Námo

• Project Team
  • 1,291 posts
  • Projects:Middle-earth Lore, Cartography & Linguistics

Posted 07 December 2009 - 03:26 PM

I agree with Arthadan, although I don't think 'Silverthorn Arrows' should be translated into Sindarin.

Tolkiens languages are a very useful tool, but IMO should only be used for naming purposes in special cases. However, they can be extremely valuable in determining the authenticity of a lot of issues, like in this case the likelihood of the Elves using 'Silverthorn' arrows.

'Silverthorn' is actually a pretty precise description, and one of those cases where the EA team really hit the bull's eye, cf. the following extract of corresponding words in Sindarin:

THORN [...] 3) aeg (peak, point). No distinct pl. form. Note: aeg is also used as adj. "sharp, pointed, piercing". [...] THORN POINT (used = spear point) ecthel (pl. ecthil). See also SHARP POINT.

SHARP 1) aeg (pointed, piercing). No distinct pl. form. Note: aeg is also used as noun "point, peak, thorn". [...] SHARP POINT egnas (peak; literally "thorn-point"), pl. egnais, coll. pl. egnassaith. [...]

SILVER 1) (noun) celeb (i geleb, o cheleb), pl. celib (i chelib) if there is a pl. form. 2) (adj., "of/like silver") celebren (lenited gelebren, pl. celebrin; also celebrin- as first element of compounds, as in Celebrindal). [...] As for ”silver” as adjective, see also SHINING WHITE. [...] SILVER LIGHT silith (i hilith, o silith), no distinct pl. form except with article (i silith), if there is a pl. form. The word silif is of similar meaning and would have the same mutations. [...]

SHINING WHITE (or ”silver”, as adj.): The form silef is listed in LR:385 s.v. SIL as the cognate of Quenya silma of this meaning, but silef is there asterisked, apparently to indicate that it only appears as part of the word Silevril ”Silmaril”. The word silef may also be used = Quenya silima (noun), the crystal substance of the Silmarils.

... and btw, there exist no word for 'arrows' in the known Sindarin vocabulary.

Edited by Námo, 07 December 2009 - 03:27 PM.

... elen síla lúmenn´ ómentielvo ...
... a star shines on the hour of our meeting ...
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#4 Mercyy

Mercyy
  • Members
  • 183 posts
  • Projects:Edain mod campaign and other mapping
  •  Fan of all Mods, with LotR Feeling

Posted 07 December 2009 - 05:01 PM

"arrow" should be pilin
Posted Image

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature

#5 Námo

Námo

• Project Team
  • 1,291 posts
  • Projects:Middle-earth Lore, Cartography & Linguistics

Posted 07 December 2009 - 05:40 PM

Neither Parviphith Edhellen, the English-Sindarin Wordlist at Ardalambion, nor Hiswelókë's Sindarin Dictionary (Dragon Flame ver. 2.0) has any entry for "arrows" or "pilin".

"Pilin" is Quenya, cf.

pilin (pilind-, as in pl. pilindi) noun "arrow" (PÍLIM)

... elen síla lúmenn´ ómentielvo ...
... a star shines on the hour of our meeting ...
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#6 yams in a can

yams in a can

Friend of the Right Side

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:12 PM

How about enchanted arrows? I get this from the fact the Elven blades were magical, and had spells put on them. I know that Frodo's sword was made in Gondolin to deal with spiders, and it cuts through spider webs (Shekob's web) easily. Sam's sword didn't.

If not, than sharpened arrows I guess.

Posted Image
To the professor, John Ronald Reuel Tolkien.

Posted Image
Posted Image

-yams in a can

#7 khamulrulz

khamulrulz

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:08 PM

okay. i give up then. namo's post explained why they might have called their arrows "silverthorn". besides, there are more important matters that need to be fixed
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users