#1 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:00 AM

I dunno what the deal is about, but there's been a few cases of "new members" putting their nose into the think tank, and most of these new members have like links to ginseng and whatnot in their sigs, and speak mediocre english(worse than mine at least :cool2:).

What is the current system on new members? is it a sort of grouping where every new user gets put until some admin figures out where he should be?

In that case, wouldn't it be possible to restrict their 'reply' and 'new topic' rights to one subforum?

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#2 Nighthawk

Nighthawk

Grumble Grumble.

• Division Leaders
  • 2,947 posts
  • Projects:The Third War, Ares, misc side projects.
  •  Strategist and Modder
  • Division:C&C Guild
  • Job:Division Leader
  • Association

Posted 09 December 2009 - 11:30 AM

Those "new members" that you're seeing are actually bots that seem to have got past our defenses. New Members is the member group that anyone who registers is automatically assigned to, and then they are automatically promoted to Posting Member after their post count reaches 10.

While restricting New Members to one single forum would solve the bot issue, it would somewhat hamper any legitimate new members who join the network... in fact, Guests would have more rights than them.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Job Openings with the Guild: Division Staff, News Posters.
Job Openings with Ares: Documentation Maintainer, Active Testers.

PM if interested.

#3 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Job:Artist

Posted 09 December 2009 - 02:37 PM

So the problem has been noticed and attended to, or will it keep on going? Same for me really, but it's been increasing a bit in the think tank, so I figured I'd check what options there are.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#4 Nighthawk

Nighthawk

Grumble Grumble.

• Division Leaders
  • 2,947 posts
  • Projects:The Third War, Ares, misc side projects.
  •  Strategist and Modder
  • Division:C&C Guild
  • Job:Division Leader
  • Association

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:17 PM

Unfortunately, I don't think there's anything immediate we can do short of completely reworking the board's Captcha system. The best thing I think we can do is just if people report posts that seem to be from one of these bots, then one of us will ban them, at least until we can come up with a more permanent solution.

Of course, I may be wrong on the Captcha thing, that area's not my department. :cool2:

But yeah, the problem has been noticed, we've just been banning the bots as they crop up.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Job Openings with the Guild: Division Staff, News Posters.
Job Openings with Ares: Documentation Maintainer, Active Testers.

PM if interested.

#5 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 10 December 2009 - 03:49 AM

seem to have got past our defenses.

E-mail verification? :p

#6 Clive

Clive
  • New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 03:01 AM

You can't do anything actually. These bots auto-registers, can mass create emails, can validate emails upon registration, can bypass known captcha. They do this for Search Engine Optimization purposes. The software is called Xrummer and it can also use different IP addresses to spam your board.

#7 Solinx

Solinx

• Undead
  • 3,101 posts
  • Projects:Real Life
  • Job:Retired Leader / Manager

Posted 28 December 2009 - 11:35 AM

Unfortunately Clive is pretty much right.

Basically the only really effective thing to do is to think of an unique and effective validation method that doesn't annoy new members in the registration process and keep that method a secret. Althogether not an easy task. And then, if a board is popular enough, or if someone just wants to be annoying, bots are customised to bypass the unique solution, which is often easier than putting the custom solution in place.

So yeah, any new automated solutions is only temporary, just like with game copy protection and DRM.
At some point the protection will be bypassed and it will again come down to the moderators to manually remove spam.
Posted Image

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

#8 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  Greedy capitalist and cynical bastard.

Posted 29 December 2009 - 12:42 PM

How about a simple question, which you're required to answer for registration? Something like 'what is the colour of the field below?'
It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#9 Masterbadeend

Masterbadeend

Yellow_Pete

• Project Team
  • 797 posts
  • Projects:RCMOD
  •  Mapper @ the RCMOD

Posted 29 December 2009 - 12:49 PM

What also seems to work, because some bots can read images atm, turn the question around so it's turend 180 degrees. (Allathar, what's "Op de kop" in English?)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Thanks to MirkwoordArcher for this great signature and the lovely duck.
Posted Image

#10 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  Greedy capitalist and cynical bastard.

Posted 30 December 2009 - 03:06 PM

On it's head? No idea, actually.
It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#11 KamuiK

KamuiK
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:29 AM

A friend's friend of me has worked out a solution whihc seems to work. During the registering process, there is an extra tab completely hidden in the css from any human, but the bots would obviously see it. If the bot now fills it out, for example with the eMail adress, it should indicate it's a bot in the first place because humans would normally not even see it.

#12 Jacky

Jacky
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:47 AM

It doesn't happen to someone from FS, does it?

#13 Caspa

Caspa

title available

• Members
  • 938 posts
  •  Shine On, Lurk Moar

Posted 08 August 2010 - 01:34 PM

Maybe it's time you stopped dicking around then. Instead of simply banning individual accounts or ip addresses, find out where the bulk are coming from and ban the entire country. That may sound crude, but it'll work.

It's not like this place will be any worse off without the Chinese and Russians anyway.

Edited by Caspa, 08 August 2010 - 02:03 PM.

Hostile is a cunt.

Thought I'd have that here to save time.

#14 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Job:Network Leader
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 08 August 2010 - 04:04 PM

Certainly not going to happen.
Also, have you ever heard of Contra? One of Revora's most successful mods? A good deal of the mod team and fans are from Russia.

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#15 Caspa

Caspa

title available

• Members
  • 938 posts
  •  Shine On, Lurk Moar

Posted 08 August 2010 - 04:18 PM

Am I right about the origins of the bulk of the spambots?
Hostile is a cunt.

Thought I'd have that here to save time.

#16 Romanul

Romanul

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:47 PM

If Revora admins are spambots, yes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users